or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Old Woods Theater - Page 2

post #31 of 65
How have you liked the Dynamic 4's? Been looking at a set up with three CCs, just wondering your thoughts on them. Any glairing weeknesses?
post #32 of 65
Thread Starter 
I really like the Dynamics. No weaknesses that I can think of. Perfect by themselves for two channel listening. For home theater use they are mated with my sealed sub which provides a perfect, clean low end.
post #33 of 65
Thread Starter 
Just made a purchase for my latest upgrade. I'm building a 4 TB home media server so I can rip all my BluRay movies and favorite DVD movies to the server and be able to stream them to my theater, living room, or bedroom TV. I will also be able to access all the files from my iPhone or any computer hooked up to the internet using a specific web address. Pictures and details once the items show up.
post #34 of 65
Nice looking theater. The speakers look amazing. Nice job.

But something else gets my attention...does that bike frame say Litespeed? What component group you running?
post #35 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameltrophy24 View Post

But something else gets my attention...does that bike frame say Litespeed? What component group you running?

That bike does say Litespeed. I'm running an Ultegra 10-speed group. It came with Real Design wheels but I upgraded those to Ksyrium SL wheels (after the theater and after the photo was taken). I really like the bike but I don't get to ride much anymore because of my golf and sand volleyball schedule. It makes me embarrassed to admit this, but last year the bike never left the garage. I've thought about trying to find a good home for it, but hate the idea of selling it.
post #36 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post

That bike does say Litespeed. I'm running an Ultegra 10-speed group. It came with Real Design wheels but I upgraded those to Ksyrium SL wheels (after the theater and after the photo was taken). I really like the bike but I don't get to ride much anymore because of my golf and sand volleyball schedule. It makes me embarrassed to admit this, but last year the bike never left the garage. I've thought about trying to find a good home for it, but hate the idea of selling it.

I know exactly what you mean. I've got 4 bikes now, I sold one and I regret it now. lol. I've been trying to ride my trainer some, but I just can't get into that. It's boring. Last year was the first year I've rode a road bike. I've always rode the mountain bike. But after I get my theater room finished, I don't know that I'll want to ride either bike...
That's a nice wheelset on your bike too. But you need to give up golf to ride...that's what I did.
post #37 of 65
After reading your threads I am considering modeling my theater after yours. I really like the soud insulation approach but I am concerned with sound migrating into the adjacent rooms. My primary use for the space will be late night movie watching and I am trying not to disturb the wife and kids. How does your construction preform? The speakers are AWESOME. I can see them in my future also!
post #38 of 65
Thread Starter 
Thanks awilcox. If you have the ability to do double dry way on the other side of your theater walls, with green glue in between, you won't have to worry much about sound escaping the theater. I'm not saying that there won't be any, I'm just saying it won't be any worse than if you don't have the internal wall cavaity opened up to act as a bass trap.

My biggest glaring point of sound escaping from my room is my french doors with the glass. Basically offsets all the other sound isloation work I did. But, I like the look to much to change it.
post #39 of 65
Because I will be constructing the walls I have some flexibility. My thoughts were to build a room within a room but this construction is far more involved and it deals with sound isolation. The down side is it decreases the interior room dimensions. Did you use dbl dry wall with gg on both side
post #40 of 65
Thread Starter 
Only two of my four walls are interior walls (the other two are foundation walls). On the two walls that are interior, I used DD and GG and both sides. I also used the staggered stud method when framing the rear wall.
post #41 of 65
Thread Starter 
Thought I would list a few upgrades or changes to my system that I have made over the past year or so.

Designed and built new cabinets for my speakers. Same drivers and crossovers, just a new cabinet....
IMG_1116.jpg
IMG_1111.jpg
IMG_1080.jpg

I also built a subwoofer and center channel speaker stand:
IMG_1254.jpg
IMG_1255.jpg
IMG_1248.jpg

I've also upgraded to all external power amps. Driving the front three channels I have an Emotiva XPA-3. Driving the surround sound channels I have an Emotiva UPA-500. I swapped out the Denon AVR-2807 for an Emotiva UMC-1 Processor which will be replaced by the Emotiva XMC-1 when that unit is released. I've also added a second UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) to ensure everything in the theater room is on backup power as well as my Network Assignable Storage, wi-fi router, and cable modem.
post #42 of 65
Nice looking front stage there, assuming they sound great too!

Congrats
post #43 of 65
so how is the Emotiva sounding, i mean its dirt cheap?i have never heard them.

and have you tryed to drive thise speakers whit a good set of pre - amps set up? if so how do that compare to the Emotiva sound
post #44 of 65
Thread Starter 
I get a good chuckle from your comment asking if I have driven these speakers with a good preamp or amp. If you know about quality components and quality designs and looked at the Emotiva stuff, you know the Emotiva are all a GREAT product.

To directly answer your question, I have driven these speakers with Rotel, Denon, and Marantz processors and amps. I choose the Emotiva stuff and never second guessed my picks.
post #45 of 65
yea they Emotiva, look great as i have never heard it, i had to ask. im just confused on the low low price, i need to research it . smile.gif now

btw your a DIY speaker guy, i stumpled upon thise Beyma TPL-150H - and these guys in south africa forums have a really great offer for group sales of these units
http://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,20527.0.html
post #46 of 65
Thread Starter 
simple100. Sounds like you equate high price to quality. If that is the case, Emotiva and DIY speakers (pretty much everything in my room) won't be your style.
post #47 of 65
Love your speakers that you built! I would like to do a 9.2 setup with all the front channels behind the screen. What do you think would be best... 9 of the CCs with 2 of the subs?

tia,
Ron
post #48 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post

Love your speakers that you built! I would like to do a 9.2 setup with all the front channels behind the screen. What do you think would be best... 9 of the CCs with 2 of the subs?

tia,
Ron

Thanks for the kind remarks. IMO, I wouldn't be concerned at all about 9 matching speakers in a 9.2 setup and an AT screen. I would suggest three of the 2RCC speakers for your left, center, and right channels. For the front height speakers just use something simple like a 2-way or small MTM design. Remember, those speakers are there simply to add a feeling of 'space' to your room. They are not needed for critical sound reproduction. So for the two height speakers try the Dayton Home theater Speaker or the Dayton BR-1S. Or any of the other great and inexpensive bookshelf speakers designs.

For your side and rear surrounds, they need to be of better quality than the front height speakers, but again, they add to the total sound unless you do some serious multi-channel music listening. I would suggest building four Nat P's. Another idea, and I think a great idea if you are using an AVR to power the surrounds, are the Karma-8. They have a VERY wide sweet spot which is key with surround speakers and high sensitivity so you won't fry your AVR onboard amps trying to power them.
post #49 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post

Thanks for the kind remarks. IMO, I wouldn't be concerned at all about 9 matching speakers in a 9.2 setup and an AT screen. I would suggest three of the 2RCC speakers for your left, center, and right channels. For the front height speakers just use something simple like a 2-way or small MTM design. Remember, those speakers are there simply to add a feeling of 'space' to your room. They are not needed for critical sound reproduction. So for the two height speakers try the Dayton Home theater Speaker or the Dayton BR-1S. Or any of the other great and inexpensive bookshelf speakers designs.

For your side and rear surrounds, they need to be of better quality than the front height speakers, but again, they add to the total sound unless you do some serious multi-channel music listening. I would suggest building four Nat P's. Another idea, and I think a great idea if you are using an AVR to power the surrounds, are the Karma-8. They have a VERY wide sweet spot which is key with surround speakers and high sensitivity so you won't fry your AVR onboard amps trying to power them.

I am running a Denon 4520ci with Paradigm studio 80v2, cc570v3 and adp 470v3 speakers and a old KLH sub... You used to run Paradigms from what I understand. How would you compare them to your new setup?

tia,
Ron
Edited by ellisr63 - 4/26/13 at 11:39am
post #50 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post

I am running a Denon 4520ci with Paradigm studio 80v2, cc570v3 and adp 470v3 speakers and a old KLH sub... You used to run Paradigms from what I understand. How would you compare them to your new setup?

tia,
Ron

I had the Paradigm... oh boy, I can't remember which model. I liked them, but they didn't compare to any DIY speakers I have built. I have heard the Studio before when I was auditioning upgrades, they are a solid speaker. Personally I feel the Statements and Dynamics both outperform the Studio 80's. I think the 570 and the Dynamic 4CC would be comparable. The big differences would be in the towers. The differences might be subtle. for me, I noticed the biggest difference in sound quality on a Blu-Ray concert disc I have. During the song, there was a chord that was played on a piano and guitar. With the Paradigms I first thought I had blow a tweeter because of the hard sound that came out (on that one note, only point during the entire song). I turned the sound down, played it again, and everything sounded fine. But when pushed again, the Paradigms crumbled at the same point. With both the Statements and the Dynamics, they handled that point and the entire song with ease. Never once have I heard distortion.
post #51 of 65
Dee, do you have a lot of transmittal to the upstairs with the open wall bass traps? I am getting started on tearing up walls and what not and am wondering how it is doing for you. I was planning on doing three layers of drywall, green glue, the whole 9 for soundproofing.
post #52 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybutts View Post

Dee, do you have a lot of transmittal to the upstairs with the open wall bass traps? I am getting started on tearing up walls and what not and am wondering how it is doing for you. I was planning on doing three layers of drywall, green glue, the whole 9 for soundproofing.

Bass traps don't "trap" bass. They're not part of a soundproofing strategy, they're for sound treatment; improving the sound in the HT.
post #53 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybutts View Post

Dee, do you have a lot of transmittal to the upstairs with the open wall bass traps? I am getting started on tearing up walls and what not and am wondering how it is doing for you. I was planning on doing three layers of drywall, green glue, the whole 9 for soundproofing.

Another great question Joey. I don't have to much sound escape up the hallow (bass trap) walls into the upstairs (main floor). But i did stuff the **** out of the floor joists to help deaden any sound that did get trapped in the hallow walls.

Could you let me know exactly your wall plans for the layers of drywall, GG, and soundproofing? Are you going to use a bass trap idea similar to my open walls? knowing that I could maybe provide more ideas or thoughts on what I would do.
post #54 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post

I had the Paradigm... oh boy, I can't remember which model. I liked them, but they didn't compare to any DIY speakers I have built. I have heard the Studio before when I was auditioning upgrades, they are a solid speaker. Personally I feel the Statements and Dynamics both outperform the Studio 80's. I think the 570 and the Dynamic 4CC would be comparable. The big differences would be in the towers. The differences might be subtle. for me, I noticed the biggest difference in sound quality on a Blu-Ray concert disc I have. During the song, there was a chord that was played on a piano and guitar. With the Paradigms I first thought I had blow a tweeter because of the hard sound that came out (on that one note, only point during the entire song). I turned the sound down, played it again, and everything sounded fine. But when pushed again, the Paradigms crumbled at the same point. With both the Statements and the Dynamics, they handled that point and the entire song with ease. Never once have I heard distortion.

What kind of expense would it be to make a set of the statements and 4cc, and subs?
post #55 of 65
Thread Starter 
I wouldn't mix the statements and Dynamics. Two different animals. I haven't priced the speakers for a while but if you sent me a PM I can reply with the costs.
post #56 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post

I wouldn't mix the statements and Dynamics. Two different animals. I haven't priced the speakers for a while but if you sent me a PM I can reply with the costs.
Didn't you use the Statements and the 4cc in your setup? PM sent for info.

tia,
Ron
post #57 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post

Another great question Joey. I don't have to much sound escape up the hallow (bass trap) walls into the upstairs (main floor). But i did stuff the **** out of the floor joists to help deaden any sound that did get trapped in the hallow walls.

Could you let me know exactly your wall plans for the layers of drywall, GG, and soundproofing? Are you going to use a bass trap idea similar to my open walls? knowing that I could maybe provide more ideas or thoughts on what I would do.

Do you mind me posting it in here or do you want me to post a new thread?
post #58 of 65
Thread Starter 
Joey. Feel free to post here or send it to me in a PM.

Ellisr. I used a 2RCC with my Statements and a 4CC (Dynamic) with my Dynamics. Sorry for any confusion
post #59 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post

Joey. Feel free to post here or send it to me in a PM.

Ellisr. I used a 2RCC with my Statements and a 4CC (Dynamic) with my Dynamics. Sorry for any confusion

Thanks for the info... I will most likely have some questions when I get ready to build them. I will PM you for info when I am ready if that is ok with you.

Ron
post #60 of 65
Thanks brother.

Background on the room. It's a FROG, so that helps tremendously from the jump. The attic does pass completely over the entire house which helps in wiring and such, but not for soundproofing. Three of the wall are exterior. The one adjoining wall has the door to the hall, the second bathroom and the master bath on the opposite side of the wall.

Pics for reference (all pics are from before purchasing the home) -
Room over garage. The window is a bump out, where the foose ball table is. The right hand wall is the projection screen wall. The back wall looks over the backyard. The left wall has the door to the hall and adjacent to the bathrooms.


From the doorway/hallway. The wall with the TV's on it is the side exterior wall. That's the projector screen wall. The wall on the left is the backyard wall. The wall to the right that the guy is looking at is the window/bump out.


This is the adjoining wall. The wall that the yankees uniform is on is the second bathroom. The closet you see butts to the master bath shower. The closet is demo'ed right now and is going to be a wet bar.


So there's the background.

Plans. I spoke with John I think at The Soundproofing Company. He advised me to stagger stud the adjoining wall and go with three layers of drywall and GG and no clips because the staggered wall would be my decoupling. Definitely plan on sealing the room in completely so I'll caulk all butted drywall joints as well and will do the flex duct fort he ventilation to squash sound through the vents. I'm guessing the exterior walls just need a healthy dose of insulation. Definitely caulk and seal the hell out of the ceiling/wall joints. I believe since I am creating a sealed room I need to add in a return/exhaust for the HVAC. And since the room is over the garage I figured not worry about the floor.

In a nutshell, that's what I had in mind. I plan on having a pretty massive substage which is my biggest concern.

Let me know what you think and TIA. appreciate all the help I can get.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home