or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Players (Standard Def) › Pioneer LaserDisc / DVD thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pioneer LaserDisc / DVD thread - Page 22

post #631 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Bahr View Post

There were two type of recorders made. The one with the caddy so you could only play them in units made for them and another that did not have a caddy but the player had to be designed to play the disc. The LD-V4400 industrial was made to read those. I do not know of any LD recorder that used a disc you could put into any LD player.

Well there was one. The ODC 6010 (or some number like that). They cost $250K and were the size of a washer and dryer set. They had both plastic disc blanks as well as glass masters for high quality work - like museum kiosks. The used a high power Argon laser to burn the pits into the aluminum (or whatever it was) layer inside the blank. This technology is in fact very similar to today's CD-R recorders. The first disks in the early 1980s were about VHS quality. The later disks in the late 80s were as good as an average commercial pressed disk.

These systems were used in the 1980s for offline electronic film editing. This was before video compression and cheap hard disks so the edit systems had four modified consumer LD players all with copies of the same disk. When you spread the playout across all four disks, there is always one within the seek area to allow a frame to frame cut. The edit system output was to VHS or 3/4in tape and most importantly a computer file on a 3.5in floppy that contained all the edit points for later negative cutting or even broadcast linear tape editing.

Of course due to the cost of the daily disk recording X4 per half hour of camera footage (all CAV btw) these system quickly died in the early 1990s when hard disk and video compression became viable.

The well known Avid was the first hard disk based edit system in 1990 running on a MAC that signaled the end of this labor intensive and expensive daily laser disk mastering.
post #632 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV_Cinema View Post

I don't mean to harm anybodys feelings here, but this Forum is DEAD, in what concerns to Laserdisc.

Um...no, it's not.
post #633 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by denvertrakker View Post

Um...no, it's not.

His comment was from a Portuguese point of view.

TLK
post #634 of 929
Nice to see a place for this....looks like I got quite a bit of reading ahead of me....LOL. Thanks for the opportunity to check this section out.

post #635 of 929
I have a Pioneer DVL-90....this one...

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/la...ite_dvl-90.htm

...is there any out of the ordinary info on it that I might need or want to know, i.e. settings, tweaks, things I should watch or check for periodically, and what not?

I really do enjoy the machine as it allows me to watch some great titles, especially the few Criterion discs I have and my Star Wars Trilogy discs. The DVD player in it sucks and doesn't work very well anyways so that isn't any loss to me.

post #636 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lizard King View Post

His comment was from a Portuguese point of view.

TLK

Humm...and you think just because you are American you are better in what?
LOL
Did you even went to College? Because i did it to the end...

I think that if a person has those kind of comments is very poor of spirit and has real issues to solve in his life. I am very glad to be a portuguese, and i respect everyone from every country, i make no difference between people.

By the way, i bet my english is better than your portuguese...
post #637 of 929
Mas que nada. That's all I've got.
post #638 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV_Cinema View Post

Humm...and you think just because you are American you are better in what?
LOL
Did you even went to College? Because i did it to the end...

I think that if a person has those kind of comments is very poor of spirit and has real issues to solve in his life. I am very glad to be a portuguese, and i respect everyone from every country, i make no difference between people.

By the way, i bet my english is better than your portuguese...

I have no idea why you came to this conclusion.

I was just yanking your chain -- no more, no less.

And yes, your Portuguese is undoubtedly better than mine. The few words/phrases I learned were from a Brazilian co-worker 25 years ago.

Have a nice day.

TLK
post #639 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lizard King View Post

I have no idea why you came to this conclusion.

I was just yanking your chain -- no more, no less.

And yes, your Portuguese is undoubtedly better than mine. The few words/phrases I learned were from a Brazilian co-worker 25 years ago.

Have a nice day.

TLK


Then you learned well You should meet more of Brasil, specially the ladies
Hey and sorry if i misunderstud... i love America you know, i used to live there from 1992 to 1994, and next to my country is my favorite, you have everything, and i love american people.
No matter what people say about America, the people are great and you have the best culture in the world
post #640 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV_Cinema View Post


By the way, i bet my english is better than your portuguese...

just a quick side note - as I've thought about this from time to time - my guess is you need English a whole lot more than we need Portugese - fair?
post #641 of 929
Yes basically, but many countries speak portuguese also.
It's a matter of opinion here.

Here in Portugal, besides English we learn French and German in school and i don't think its necessary...
post #642 of 929
Thread Starter 
Let's steer the Titanic away from the iceberg. What's the LD scene like in Portugal? Were they ever very popular?

In the United States, most people have no memory of LaserDisc. Some had a school player for science and art discs, but most Americans are surprised to find it was around for about 25 years
post #643 of 929
If in USA most of people didn't know, here it was worst! 90% of the people don't know the format...
And the ones who know, most of them have a few concerts, not movies.

We cannot compare Portugal to US that way, you guys have more "movie cult" than us here.

There are maybe 10 avid collector's of laserdisc movies in Portugal...LOL
post #644 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV_Cinema View Post

If in USA most of people didn't know, here it was worst! 90% of the people don't know the format...
And the ones who know, most of them have a few concerts, not movies.

We cannot compare Portugal to US that way, you guys have more "movie cult" than us here.

There are maybe 10 avid collector's of laserdisc movies in Portugal...LOL

I always show my Laser Disks to people and tell them if they keep their DVDs warm and give them plenty of water and sunlight, they grow into "these".
post #645 of 929
My 10 year-old son thinks the LD's look pretty cool.

BTW...I was going through my CD's, and came across this CDV of the Police. A friend of mine back in high school, worked at a used record store. He asked if I wanted it, because no one knew how to play it, and they were going to toss it.

I see one is up for sale on ebay...that's where I grabbed the image.
LL
post #646 of 929
Laserdiscs are spectacular to me also. I love the format and is my favourite format to be honnest.
I love Blu Ray, but Laserdisc is like a fetish...
post #647 of 929
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

I was going through my CD's, and came across this CDV of the Police.

I've never actually seen a CDV that wasn't porn!
post #648 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyfreaks View Post

I've never actually seen a CDV that wasn't porn!


Are you sure you aren't thinking of the digital VCD that could be played in PCs? I've never heard of that use for the CDV format. The video being analog, and compatible with LD, there wasn't much room for video on the 5" disc.
post #649 of 929
E b a y has some great pics of a Sony LD recorder. (Good luck finding blank LDs!) I think the discs were housed in a caddie, recorded in CAV...so only 30 minutes per disc. (I could be completely wrong.)


http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-LVR-500...item564a6d1cab
post #650 of 929
I don't know a lot about MUSE, but it seems to me that the elusive player is the HLD-X0. Ebay also lists a decoder thrown in. A separate listing has 17 muse discs.

So how much would it cost me to dive right in? I figure $10,000 should cover it. A pretty expensive conversation piece!

Search ebay for "muse" for info. (I am, in no way, affiliated with this auction.)

Here's a couple shots of the HLD-X0
LL
LL
post #651 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV_Cinema View Post

Laserdiscs are spectacular to me also. I love the format and is my favourite format to be honnest.
I love Blu Ray, but Laserdisc is like a fetish...

Someone over at blu-ray.com says that you ripped him off. He says that he paid you for a high-end player, but you never sent it.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....&page=130#2596

So, what's the story?

TLK
post #652 of 929
I bought a Pioneer LD-S1, was not in working condition. The specialist said that the need to change the laser- Pik-up. Who knows where to find it? What is the name of the laser? And how to regulate it if necessary.
post #653 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by MButorin View Post

I bought a Pioneer LD-S1, was not in working condition. The specialist said that the need to change the laser- Pik-up. Who knows where to find it? What is the name of the laser? And how to regulate it if necessary.

Send a private message to Kurtis Bahr. I think he'll point you in the right direction.
post #654 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lizard King View Post

Someone over at blu-ray.com says that you ripped him off. He says that he paid you for a high-end player, but you never sent it.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....&page=130#2596

So, what's the story?

TLK

Hi
I have all the pleasure to explain this story, i am just not glad to hear it so late as i don't have much time to come here.

I sold a Mcintosh MLD7020 to a guy called Rein Korthals Altes long ago...
He got the player and everything was 5 stars.

Then he claimed after a couple of days that the player didn't worked, and he sent me a picture of a broken "wheel", the one that takes the pickup assy to read the disc.
I though it was very strange as i paid a fortune to Mcintosh to revise the player and i have proof of it, i've sent them the invoice whitch proves that the unit was renewed (new spindle, new motor, belts and adjustment), and came from Mcintosh factory double boxed and checked.
So it was a strange thing....it's not my fault that he has droped the unit or something...
Then i told him to take the unit to a technician, and the unit was thewre for long and they told him they couldn't do anything, but thy touched the unit inside and parts we're missing.
The reason i know that is because i asked him to send the unit back to me, so i could take it here to Pioneer (as it's a CLD97 clone inside) for repair.
They installed a new pickup, but the broken part was getting hard to get, and they also tought it was very weird. I even called Mcintosh New York, and it's was weird to them either, as the unit was checked 100% before leaving the factory.
The part that was broken took alot of time to the technician in Portugal to find, but with a Mcintosh friend in US they could find it and now it's installed and the unit is leaving to Rein again in the begginning of next week.
NOW TELL ME IF THIS JERK IS RIGHT HERE?!!!! This guy is so crazy and rude.
First of all i don't steal anyone, second he wanted a refund for something i don't know if was him that broke. Besides people that are only curious were touching the unit inside.

I've warned this guy, and he is going to answer for all his words in court. Nobody has the right to talk that way, it's a very serious affirmation.
post #655 of 929
When I see a McIntosh LD player for sale, it makes me wish I had a McIntosh system to place around it. I really like the style.
post #656 of 929
The unit is beautiful.
And before i sell it i've spent a fortune to renew it.
I wish i would have kept it....
post #657 of 929
hey there everyone, I decided to take the my spare cld-59 out of storage and play around with it, and was surprised to find it will not read any LDs. The last time it was used was 2009, before I let it power down completely, unplugged it and set it gently on the shelf in the storage room. Never been jostled or anything since.

Today I plugged it in and put in a LD and low and behold I got the weird moaning noise and the U1 error, and it didn't matter how many times I tried, no go. So I took the top off of it, cleaned the spindle etc...and still no go. However, with the top off of it, I plugged in the unit and closed the tray, it went right into proper behavior, with the gripping mechanism locking in and attempting to read a disc(which wasn't there). I then got the "No Disc"" display on the front of the unit. However, when I put in a LD, the tray will close, and the locking mechanism in the back does not raise up all the way, until I give it a little push with my hand, then it begins to read the disc just fine, I even confirmed it is displaying video properly when I use my hand to give the mechanism a little help.

I hope I've explained it clearly enough, and I even shot two videos on my phone with the tray being empty, then with a LD in it, to show how I have to help the mechanism along. I have a question though, is it allowable to link to YouTube here? I posted the videos there, for anyone to see, and just want to make sure I am in the clear.

Any help anyone can give it greatly appreciated, as I said this is just a spare(I use a CLD-D704 as a primary) but I would prefer to get it working, and love to tinker in these things. Thank you very much.
post #658 of 929
So after tinkering with it a little more, I decided to try removing the bracket that holds the spindle in place, and see what happens, and there you go the mechanism raised right into place. After pulling it apart, it seems the little spindle grip mech is stuck in place, and doesn't seem to position right, which might be causing the problem where I need to use my hand to help it along. I might be able to replace the rubber cushion part, what do you guys think? On the right track?
post #659 of 929
just took these, excuse the quality

Attachment 248248

Attachment 248249
LL
LL
post #660 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV_Cinema View Post

Hi
I have all the pleasure to explain this story, i am just not glad to hear it so late as i don't have much time to come here.

I sold a Mcintosh MLD7020 to a guy called Rein Korthals Altes long ago...
He got the player and everything was 5 stars.

Then he claimed after a couple of days that the player didn't worked, and he sent me a picture of a broken "wheel", the one that takes the pickup assy to read the disc.
I though it was very strange as i paid a fortune to Mcintosh to revise the player and i have proof of it, i've sent them the invoice whitch proves that the unit was renewed (new spindle, new motor, belts and adjustment), and came from Mcintosh factory double boxed and checked.
So it was a strange thing....it's not my fault that he has droped the unit or something...
Then i told him to take the unit to a technician, and the unit was thewre for long and they told him they couldn't do anything, but thy touched the unit inside and parts we're missing.
The reason i know that is because i asked him to send the unit back to me, so i could take it here to Pioneer (as it's a CLD97 clone inside) for repair.
They installed a new pickup, but the broken part was getting hard to get, and they also tought it was very weird. I even called Mcintosh New York, and it's was weird to them either, as the unit was checked 100% before leaving the factory.
The part that was broken took alot of time to the technician in Portugal to find, but with a Mcintosh friend in US they could find it and now it's installed and the unit is leaving to Rein again in the begginning of next week.
NOW TELL ME IF THIS JERK IS RIGHT HERE?!!!! This guy is so crazy and rude.
First of all i don't steal anyone, second he wanted a refund for something i don't know if was him that broke. Besides people that are only curious were touching the unit inside.

I've warned this guy, and he is going to answer for all his words in court. Nobody has the right to talk that way, it's a very serious affirmation.

Well Ricardo. You promissed me to sent the player back to me this week. So please do and I will tell that you are allright afterall and I was wrong. I have no reason to lie. I just want my player. It's been over 6 month since I sent it back to you after it arrived broken. No wonder I feel ripped off. You prommissed me a couple of times you would sent it and then I wouldn't hear from you for a couple of weeks. (You even told me once that it was on it's way when it was still at pioneer). So let's just get it over with and do as you say. Sent me my player back repaired and we can both be ok.

PS. It was his idea to take it to a local repair shop because if it would be an easy fix that would have made things easy. So I took it to the local Mcintosh dealer and they decided not to touch it and advised me to ship it back, so I shipped it back untouched.

Anyway. lets hope for a quick happy ending so we can lay this thing to rest. So far it's been a nightmare for me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DVD Players (Standard Def)
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Players (Standard Def) › Pioneer LaserDisc / DVD thread