or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Players (Standard Def) › Pioneer LaserDisc / DVD thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pioneer LaserDisc / DVD thread - Page 23

post #661 of 929
Does any one have a cld-704 for sale?
post #662 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Bahr View Post


What are you looking for? CLD-D704 would be the best bang for the buck. If you want a high end machine with low noise then the CLD-97 for two sided playback and LD-S2 for single sided.

Send me a PM and I can discuss further.

Kurtis

Do you know where I can get a cld-704
post #663 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimo View Post


Thanks for that intuitive how to... Sounds like you have a lot invested in your networked system. That VP your using is nice but for 1k it's just not for me, and for LD it seriously isn't worth it for my situation. Like I mentioned I'm only in for 139.00 so far into this venture two 704 players and the DDP-1 demodulator.

Are you interested in selling a cld-704?
post #664 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcrpro3 View Post

Even though i have had the equipment for a while, a Lexicon LDD-1, Kenwood DEM-999 and a couple of CLD-D704's, i hooked them up and watched a AC-3 soundtrack of 'Die Hard With A Vengence' and it sounded great on my system...too bad that i'm soon getting out of LD and downsizing to blu ray....

Do you still have the ld collection , I be interested in buying if you do?
post #665 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by herb_vogel View Post

Are you interested in selling a cld-704?

My second player took a dive so I'm just holding on to it for parts. There is a guy in Long Beach CA that has one for 150.00 on craigslist. His sale starts today so don't wait to long.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb...051395701.html
post #666 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis Bahr View Post


If you ever want another 97 let me know

I'm interested in buying a cld-704 or a 97
post #667 of 929
There's no such model as a CLD-704.

I do have a CLD-79 for sale, which is the Elitized CLD-D704.

TLK
post #668 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimo View Post


My second player took a dive so I'm just holding on to it for parts. There is a guy in Long Beach CA that has one for 150.00 on craigslist. His sale starts today so don't wait to long.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb...051395701.html

Just bought it, thanks for the heads up.
post #669 of 929
So I think I got it, the spindle was out of alignment, and when the mechanism raised up the two wouldn't align. Lots of cleaning, twisting and messing with the springs later, it is now running fine with no U1 errors, but it makes me wonder how long it can go on. Lol might have to find another unit for parts. Does anybody know if the spindle part is swap-able between other Pioneer units if I can't get another CLD-59?
post #670 of 929
Also, if anyone is interested, here are the videos I shot with my phone of the issue, the first on is nothing in the tray:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieWCJOU3sOw

The second is the unit with a disc inserted, and it hanging up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO_C5gM1Jlc

And the last one is the unit with the spindle removed, notice no issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtUZxqqbK0c

And mods, if this is not allowed(linking out to youtube) go ahead and delete this.
post #671 of 929
How do I tell if a laserdisc is ac-3 audio or not?
post #672 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by herb_vogel View Post

How do I tell if a laserdisc is ac-3 audio or not?

It's usually printed on the back of the cover.

post #673 of 929
Gonna head over to Laser Blazer today haven't bought a new disc in ages. Wow! looks like they are closing their doors. They have all LD's 50% off and are closed on Mondays. So tomorrow after work I may have to go there and clean them out. Think I'm to late.
post #674 of 929
where in the world is there still a store selling LD's?

My entire collection came from ebay and other members who donated piles of them. I still hook up my Pioneer CLD-99 once in a while to show visitors to my home theater. The CLD-99 is in 100% mint condition, not a scratch on it.

I also have a pair of Pioneer CLD-A100 LaserActive players.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_LaserActive

I have the Sega modules in the box. what an interesting combination of a player.. it can actually play the old 16 bit Sega CD's that were compatible with the Sega Genesis.

I never bought a LaserActive disk, they're a bit too pricey even to just collect them.
post #675 of 929
If anyone is interested in getting rid of their ld's I'd be interested, am try to add some to my collection or upgrade to the ac-3 versions
post #676 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

where in the world is there still a store selling LD's?

No place now, as of Jan 2012 they closed their doors I'll drive by tomorrow just to be sure.

Dear Laser Blazer customers,

Thank you for making our last days as a brick & mortar store a blast. We don't have to move online until January 31st so we decided to give our customers five (5) more sale days.
All New & Used Blu Ray & Dvds will be discounted 50% off the lowest marked price. Rentals are priced as marked. LaserDisc are 50% off and our Adult Dvds are now 70% off. Tons of inventory is still left.

Our Sale hours are:

Tuesday, January 3 12pm - 8pm
Friday, January 6 12pm - 8pm
Saturday, January 7 12pm - 8pm
Friday, January 13 12pm - 8pm
Saturday, January 14 12pm - 8pm

You can still shop with Laser Blazer at LDDB.com for LaserDiscs and our Amazon store for Blu Ray and DVDs. Starting January 31, 2012 you can visit our rebuilt web site at LaserBlazer.com to purchase Blu Ray, Laserdisc and DVD collectibles. We are sad to close our doors, but are looking forward to continuing our relationship with our loyal customers in cyberspace.

Thanks for your support.

Ron
Laser Blazer

http://www.laserblazer.com/
post #677 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by herb_vogel View Post

If anyone is interested in getting rid of their ld's I'd be interested, am try to add some to my collection or upgrade to the ac-3 versions

Assuming you have an RF demodulator to decode the AC-3 signal and analog six channel input to your receiver your good to go. If you have an older high end receiver you might be lucky to have the RF demodulator built into it. The CLD-D704 does not decode AC-3 it only has the RF output.
post #678 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by herb_vogel View Post

If anyone is interested in getting rid of their ld's I'd be interested, am try to add some to my collection or upgrade to the ac-3 versions

I had at least 200 LDs until about 7 or 8 years ago. I gave them all away because I wasn't watching them anymore. Like everyone else, I bought them over the years - but a lot of them I bought while living in Pittsburgh. Back in the 90s, there used to be a video store on the main drag in Squirrel Hill that rented and sold LDs - and I was always in there. I liked them certainly more than VHS - but not more than DVD. In fact, their demise in my system was directly proportional to the rise of DVD. By the time BR came around, the LDs were already gone. It's still nice though to see that there are some guys out there still using them.
post #679 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimo View Post

No place now, as of Jan 2012 they closed their doors I'll drive by tomorrow just to be sure.

There's still some collector shops and random Book-Off/Hard-Off stores that have them in Japan, but there used to be a lot more. (not that this would be of much use to most people at AVS)

Walking home from Akihabara with dozens of 50-yen LDs from a clearance at a Liberty shop was a lot of hard, painful fun...
post #680 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinbo View Post


Well Ricardo. You promissed me to sent the player back to me this week. So please do and I will tell that you are allright afterall and I was wrong. I have no reason to lie. I just want my player. It's been over 6 month since I sent it back to you after it arrived broken. No wonder I feel ripped off. You prommissed me a couple of times you would sent it and then I wouldn't hear from you for a couple of weeks. (You even told me once that it was on it's way when it was still at pioneer). So let's just get it over with and do as you say. Sent me my player back repaired and we can both be ok.


PS. It was his idea to take it to a local repair shop because if it would be an easy fix that would have made things easy. So I took it to the local Mcintosh dealer and they decided not to touch it and advised me to ship it back, so I shipped it back untouched.


Anyway. lets hope for a quick happy ending so we can lay this thing to rest. So far it's been a nightmare for me.

Let me give you an update on this matter. As you can all read in his post, Ricardo said that the player would be on it's way at the beginning of last week. Well that did not happen. It is the fifth or sixth time he is making that promise, but it simply never happened.

So no wonder I'm pissed of and feel ripped of. But lets hope he will ship it coming weeks. My expectations are low. I've been waiting for 6 month now and he also has not yet refunded me the 50 euro shipping cots for shipping it back. Why? I don't know....

TBC.....
Edited by Reinbo - 6/10/12 at 6:32am
post #681 of 929
It has gotten to the point, that when I call goodwill and 2nd hand stores, I have to describe a laserdisc. In the past, I only had to describe Selectavision CED discs.
post #682 of 929
hey there everyone, I got in some random anime LDs from eBay Saturday, and I realized something. Is there a way to display the CC on a modern HDTV? I was playing around with Moldiver(bilingual) and was watching it in Japanese, and my TV(Samsung UN55D6300) refused to acknowledge there was CC information at all(the option was dimmed out on the menu). A while later, I tried it on my father's TV(Sharp LC60E88UN, luckily I live 4 blocks away) and got the same thing, the option to switch the CC on was dimmed out, as if the TV wasn't seeing it. Is there any way to display Closed Captions on a modern TV, from an older source like a LD player?
post #683 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpahawkins View Post

hey there everyone, I got in some random anime LDs from eBay Saturday, and I realized something. Is there a way to display the CC on a modern HDTV? I was playing around with Moldiver(bilingual) and was watching it in Japanese, and my TV(Samsung UN55D6300) refused to acknowledge there was CC information at all(the option was dimmed out on the menu). A while later, I tried it on my father's TV(Sharp LC60E88UN, luckily I live 4 blocks away) and got the same thing, the option to switch the CC on was dimmed out, as if the TV wasn't seeing it. Is there any way to display Closed Captions on a modern TV, from an older source like a LD player?
Is there anything between the TV and LD player?

You could also just get a CC decoder.
post #684 of 929
You may have to set it on the TV if your set supports it, usually it's CC1 and also make sure it's listed on the cover art of the LD.
post #685 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinbo View Post

Let me give you an update on this matter. As you can all read in his post, Ricardo said that the player would be on it's way at the beginning of last week. Well that did not happen. It is the fifth or sixth time he is making that promise, but it simply never happened.
So no wonder I'm pissed of and feel ripped of. But lets hope he will ship it coming weeks. My expectations are low. I've been waiting for 6 month now and he also has not yet refunded me the 50 euro shipping cots for shipping it back. Why? I don't know....
TBC.....

It really is a shame when people don't fulfill their contracts, I posted a buyer beware about this guy a while back and the mods deleted it. To bad it could have saved a lot of people time & money especially in your case.

I know you post at lddb forums and this guy was on probation, they were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and make good on his promises. But it looks like he may have gone back to his old ways. I'm also surprised you even dealt with this guy knowing his reputation on lddb. Yahoo Japan auctions usually have high end players and I would have gone that route first and for most...

I hope you get this resolved, If it were me I would just ask for a full refund and be done with it. You can always file a complaint with your cc co.
post #686 of 929
That's the weird part, nothing between the TV and the laserdisc player, just the composite connections...also, the package does list it, but where you would go in the menus to even turn it on(like if you were watching DirecTV) it is simply dimmed out, so it is not select-able. This is on both TVs, so very weird. I did confirm it works on DirecTV, when viewing that on both TVs the option "highlights" in the menu and it select-able. May have to go the decoder route. Has CC changed much in the last few years? I must admit to never really using it much, save for the odd laserdisc etc...
post #687 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimo View Post

It really is a shame when people don't fulfill their contracts, I posted a buyer beware about this guy a while back and the mods deleted it. To bad it could have saved a lot of people time & money especially in your case.
I know you post at lddb forums and this guy was on probation, they were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and make good on his promises. But it looks like he may have gone back to his old ways. I'm also surprised you even dealt with this guy knowing his reputation on lddb. Yahoo Japan auctions usually have high end players and I would have gone that route first and for most...
I hope you get this resolved, If it were me I would just ask for a full refund and be done with it. You can always file a complaint with your cc co.

Like I haven't ask him to do that 20 times. He keeps saying that the player will be fixed and is on it's way. I have been hearing that for over 6 months no. So I guess he has ripping me off... Refunding me the money, or shipping the player back, would have been an easy thing for him to do. But he does not. I have given him oner more week. If nothing happens I put my story on al laserdisc and hifi boards. So he no one will ever do business with him anymore.
post #688 of 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpahawkins View Post

That's the weird part, nothing between the TV and the laserdisc player, just the composite connections...also, the package does list it, but where you would go in the menus to even turn it on(like if you were watching DirecTV) it is simply dimmed out, so it is not select-able. This is on both TVs, so very weird. I did confirm it works on DirecTV, when viewing that on both TVs the option "highlights" in the menu and it select-able. May have to go the decoder route. Has CC changed much in the last few years? I must admit to never really using it much, save for the odd laserdisc etc...
I have a Telecaption II, TV Guardian 101 and a BVS CC100, if you're interested.
post #689 of 929
Ok, the weirdness continues, haha. Some LDs are displaying correctly, like MST3K the Movie, seen here:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/803/ccissue1.jpg/

but the Pioneer anime LDs in my collection are the only ones with issues. As discussed, here is what the TV is displaying when I try to turn on the Closed Captioning:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/140/ccissue3.jpg/

and, here is me in the TV menu trying to turn them on manually, and as you can see, the option is grayed out

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/846/ccissue4.jpg/

So it is just the anime titles from Pioneer that have an issue...anybody know if they used a different process to encode them or display them? Thanks
post #690 of 929
is a laserdisc with ac-3 audio better than THX , or is this really the same thing?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DVD Players (Standard Def)
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Players (Standard Def) › Pioneer LaserDisc / DVD thread