or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Group Buy for 6.5" Anarchy Tapped Horn.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Group Buy for 6.5" Anarchy Tapped Horn. - Page 7

post #181 of 424
Thread Starter 
My sister found a company only about 8 minutes from my house that sells boxes and packing materials for a great price. I've got plenty of extra storage space at my shop for this kind of stuff as well. Most guys would do this in the same situation, so no need to discuss that anymore. plus, it's not too difficult to pack things up. I'm just your average Joe, so let's just leave it at that and hope it all goes well.


And member Aaron Smith hooked me up and told me I should get a FedEx account to help lower our shipping charges, that will certainly be good for everyone. Plus, I heard they will pick up packages, and that makes it even easier. See, it's a cake walk.
post #182 of 424
Yes, you will definitely get better rates if you set up a FedEx account. Just call them and tell them you want to get set up with an account manager because you will be shipping a lot of larger items, and you'll actually be able to negotiate a rate with your account manager based on the volume that you will be shipping. I used to ship large projector screens all the time, and before I set up an account was paying $50-$60/each and then after getting an account rep I was able to get my rates down to $35-$40, so about 25-30% less.
post #183 of 424
EricH,
add me to the list for 2 kits.
I am still looking for final prices for shipping overseas, so hopefully the size/weight stuff is ready soon....

-Thin Basket
post #184 of 424
Erich,

I am assuming you will be letting us know here when you are ready to take payment? I've been watching this thread.
post #185 of 424
Thread Starter 
Yeh, I'm waiting for the shipping boxes. I don't feel right taking any money until everything is here and ready to go.

Adding the little extra "slop" in the top panel made putting it together much easier. It's really nice. That did cost an extra week, but I think it was worth it in th end. My 5yr old niece can put it together now. Seriously.
post #186 of 424
Cool, just checking. I've done a group buy before and I get where you are coming from.
post #187 of 424
P.S. regarding amps for those planning to run multiple THs. I just snagged a Parasound HCA-806A 6 channel amp (80wpc) off audiogon for cheap. At 80wpc, its basically ideal, plus some channels can be bridged for even more power and each channel has gain control. Just another inexpensive multi-channel amp to look for.

Now I need to decide how many miniDSPs I want to buy.
post #188 of 424
Please put me down for 2 kits and 2 drivers, thanks.
post #189 of 424
Would this be adequate for a single box? The only thing I see that it doesn't have is a phase switch, but that can be accomplished by reversing driver wiring or adjusting distance settings in the receiver.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-784
post #190 of 424
That amp is only 45 watts at 8 ohm, so it is a little light on power.

This one would do the job for only a few bucks more, and might even fit into the cabinet. Information as to highpass and all that is pretty light though. Looks like a 25 Hz highpass with 3 dB of boost at 40 Hz. Not a bad fit, might actually help things to be honest.

Depending on what you're after - an old-school stereo receiver can be a fine amp for these - all you need is 100 W into 8 ohms. I've scored some good stuff at the local thrift stores.

You could maybe even run these off the extra channels in a 7.1 receiver if you only run it as a 5.1 and the receiver has preamp inputs like mine does.
post #191 of 424
This might be an option. 160 wpc (bridged) at 8 Ohms, new for only 99.00. Free shipping too.
All you need is a 20 Hz FMOD and you should be set?????

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=302-601
post #192 of 424
How about this one for 2 anarchys?
post #193 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
This might be an option. 160 wpc (bridged) at 8 Ohms, new for only 99.00. Free shipping too.
All you need is a 20 Hz FMOD and you should be set?????

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=302-601
Those are a nice little amp, I have several. I've not run the amp bridged, but have run one anarchy per channel several times. They like 8 ohm loads more than 4, that's for sure.

Not a huge fan of F-mods, an active solution like the MiniDSP does a whole lot more a whole lot better.
post #194 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike View Post
Not a huge fan of F-mods, an active solution like the MiniDSP does a whole lot more a whole lot better.
An FMOD is only about 20 bucks or so. Are they that bad? I'm just looking to limit the lower frequencies going to the amp.

Another question, how does the above referenced amp put out 50 wpc@ 8 ohms into 2 channels, but 150 wpc@ 8 Ohms bridged?





From the spec sheet:
Output power 50 watts RMS per channel @ 8 ohms, 60 watts RMS per channel into 4 ohms, 160 watts RMS @ 8 ohms bridged mono Frequency response: 20 Hz-20 kHz
post #195 of 424
No idea on the amp specs. I know I can get 50 watts out of it into an 8-ohm load, I've measured that. Never tried bridging it, but I'm thinking that 150 bridged is a stretch.

Fmods? I'll be honest - I have not used them in years. When I last did, I was not impressed.

As I understand them, they're passive components used on a line level signal, but I may be wrong. A stereo pair was ~$30 plus shipping when I last checked, and they provide a 12 dB/octave slope at 20 Hz (sorta - the frequency depends on the input impedance of your amp - might be 17 Hz, might be 25 Hz).

I used a set long ago in a car system, they did not work all that well. I ultimately went with an active solution after I killed the drivers I was trying to protect. They might be better now. That was a (long) while back.

In this price range, there is an honest active crossover from Marchand Electronics. It is a bare board only, and needs a separate power supply, but it is ~$40 if I recall. The model is the XM-1. It has a 24 db/oct slope, and user selectable frequencies.
post #196 of 424
hi all,

is it too late to get in on the group buy? if not, i like 2 please. thanks
post #197 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
An FMOD is only about 20 bucks or so. Are they that bad? I'm just looking to limit the lower frequencies going to the amp.


They are great, if they work for your specific situation. Sometimes its better to buy and try then to debate the merits of anything with strangers online that are not in the same specific situation. There is a reason I use products before most others do
post #198 of 424
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

hi all,

is it too late to get in on the group buy? if not, i like 2 please. thanks

No you're fine. I'm waiting for the shipping boxes. I'll add your name to the list later tonight.
post #199 of 424
thanks Erich, please let me know when payment is needed.
post #200 of 424
lilmike, I have this spare amp and what do you think about powering the horn?
LL
LL
post #201 of 424
Fosgate Audionics??? Designed by Stephen Mantz of Zed Audio??? It's junk... you'd better send it to me... I'll make sure it is properly "disposed" of...

Seriously? That is a phenomenal amp and it will run these without any drama.

I could see hanging four off of it (1/channel), no problem. As it is 2-ohm stable, you could bridge it, wire pairs in parallel, and drive four anarchy-based cabinets that way too. Consider getting something for highpass though. 24 dB at 25 Hz is a good idea.
post #202 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike View Post

Fosgate Audionics??? Designed by Stephen Mantz of Zed Audio??? It's junk... you'd better send it to me... I'll make sure it is properly "disposed" of...

Seriously? That is a phenomenal amp and it will run these without any drama.

I could see hanging four off of it (1/channel), no problem. As it is 2-ohm stable, you could bridge it, wire pairs in parallel, and drive four anarchy-based cabinets that way too. Consider getting something for highpass though. 24 dB at 25 Hz is a good idea.

That's good to know! I'd need a wire diagram for the 4 cabs you described though.
post #203 of 424
I just realized that the Fosgate has a 1.2 KVA transformer! I think it's more than my Emotiva XPA-3!
post #204 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

No you're fine. I'm waiting for the shipping boxes. I'll add your name to the list later tonight.

Hi Eric H, could you remove my name from the list?

Sorry, I’d seem to have jumped the gun on this.

A little side conversation with lilmike resulted in the fact that these subs would not be able to keep up with my system. I am looking forward to his bigger design.

Thanks
post #205 of 424
I'm still in!

Any word on the ETA? My brother is getting anxious, and I'm trying to prevent him from buying a $100 Sony sub....

Also, I know Erich is only coordinating the box, but you said that the driver will be available for less for those on the group buy. How will that work, are you going to be sending a list of those participating?

Thanks again for setting all of this up!
post #206 of 424
Thread Starter 
I'm almost done with the JBL group buy. Then I'll be boxing up the Anarchy TH. That should go pretty fast.

I'll be coordinating with Kevin about the woofer discount. He'll know you bought the kit and you'll get the discount.

Honestly, I'm very disappointed in how long this group buy took. This should have been done 2-3 weeks ago. It's tough when I'm at the mercy of another person's time.

I did make that slight change to the top cap panel to give some extra room so it all lines up. In the end, that will make it much easier to put together and probably worth the effort, but I don't think it should have added that much time to the process.
post #207 of 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

I'm almost done with the JBL group buy. Then I'll be boxing up the Anarchy TH. That should go pretty fast.

I'll be coordinating with Kevin about the woofer discount. He'll know you bought the kit and you'll get the discount.

Honestly, I'm very disappointed in how long this group buy took. This should have been done 2-3 weeks ago. It's tough when I'm at the mercy of another person's time.

I did make that slight change to the top cap panel to give some extra room so it all lines up. In the end, that will make it much easier to put together and probably worth the effort, but I don't think it should have added that much time to the process.

Erich, don't be so hard on yourself. NOBODY here is upset about the delay. So it took a little to get things together, so what. It's worth it, I'm sure.
post #208 of 424
BZ,

You can purchase the drivers now, I did a week ago, Kevin confirms your group buy with Erich's website and adjusts the price for you. Great to have them already, and I'm ready to go!
post #209 of 424
i hope there will be a group buy when lilmike is done with his new/big project.

this thread is great!
post #210 of 424
Please put me down for 4 flat packs.

Is Kevin still offering a discount on the Anarchy Exodus drivers for people using this group buy?

Thanks for all your hard work.
-Darrell
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Group Buy for 6.5" Anarchy Tapped Horn.