or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Sony BDP-S480 Owner's Thread. All questions and comments go here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony BDP-S480 Owner's Thread. All questions and comments go here - Page 2

post #31 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoyd androyd View Post

First, how would you even know how much "more power" the quick start mode potentially uses?

Maybe he's familiar with professional reviews that measure the power usage of quick start mode such as cnet's review of the BDP-S570 located here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/blu-ray-play...ml?tag=rvwBody

Quote:


And even if quick start does use "more power", that additional power usage would be so minimal and only last for the time it took to load the disc - probably around 20 seconds at the most. Quick start must disable itself once the disc has finished loading - it's not as if it's still running once the disc is playing.

You misunderstand quick start. Enabling quick start makes the player draw more power during its off state, not just when loading a disc. It continuously draws more power because a quick start-enabled player never fully turns off.

Quote:


Second, why would you "suspect many people don't use" the quick start mode? If anything, I'd think most people would use this feature since it's a new feauture in 2011 models which is suppose to make disc loading faster. Every consumer wants faster loading, so why in the world would a buyer not use that most attractive feature that they just paid for?

Quick start is not a new feature. The 2010 Sony players have it.

The cnet review linked above measured that the player without quick start draws 0.13 watts of power when turned off; with quick start enabled, the player draws 0.74 watts, an almost 600% increase in power consumption that occurs day and night, 24/7. In dollar amounts, quick start off and on cost of $0.99 per year versus $7.35/year, respectively. Some may decide $7 a year is worth it for the faster load time. Others may think saving a couple seconds of waiting isn't worth the additional electricity usage.

Quote:


Finally, hardly anyone even owns these new x80 models yet, so to say that you "suspect most people don't use" the quick start mode is totally ridiculous.

He was probably basing his personal opinion of quick start's consumer appeal using Sony's 2010 generation of players.
post #32 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlee View Post

Maybe he's familiar with professional reviews that measure the power usage of quick start mode such as cnet's review of the BDP-S570 located here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/blu-ray-play...ml?tag=rvwBody



You misunderstand quick start. Enabling quick start makes the player draw more power during its off state, not just when loading a disc. It continuously draws more power because a quick start-enabled player never fully turns off.



Quick start is not a new feature. The 2010 Sony players have it.

The cnet review linked above measured that the player without quick start draws 0.13 watts of power when turned off; with quick start enabled, the player draws 0.74 watts, an almost 600% increase in power consumption that occurs day and night, 24/7. In dollar amounts, quick start off and on cost of $0.99 per year versus $7.35/year, respectively. Some may decide $7 a year is worth it for the faster load time. Others may think saving a couple seconds of waiting isn't worth the additional electricity usage.



He was probably basing his personal opinion of quick start's consumer appeal using Sony's 2010 generation of players.


Thanks Peterlee. I wasn't going to waste my time replying, but you did it perfectly. My thoughts exactly.....
post #33 of 273
Does it have component outputs?
post #34 of 273
Quick start has been around in other products for years and years. I personally never use Quick Start because in the products I've tested enabling QS is basically like leaving the player on 24x7. Sure it starts up faster, you basically never turn it off
I'm a little surprised on the overall low current draw that Cnet reported, I mean .74 watts QS on, .13 watts QS off my guess is someone misplaced the decimal points. 1.3 watts QS off and 7.4 QS on (and probably 10?? watts unit on, makes more sense.

I'd be very surprised if Sony omitted the component outputs, now dumbing them down to 480p(even for BR) wouldn't surprise me

Also for anyone who thinks all BR players HDMI output look the same, try a Element BR player trust me, they don't, cheap is cheap, even via HDMI
post #35 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I'd be very surprised if Sony omitted the component outputs, now dumbing them down to 480p(even for BR) wouldn't surprise me

Correct. Someone who bought the BDP-S580 from Best Buy posted on another forum that the player has component connectors but is restricted to 480p over them:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/blu-ray-...-question.html

Note that this will not be unique to Sony; the blu-ray spec requires that any player announced in 2011 limit its component outputs to 480p. Now, the only way to get high-def 1080i output over components is to buy a prior year's model. If you rely on component output, it's better to get the 2010 Sony players - S370, S470 or S570 - while they're still available. The new models don't output high-def over components anymore.
post #36 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlee View Post

.... If you rely on component output, it's better to get the 2010 Sony players - S370, S470 or S570 - while they're still available. The new models don't output high-def over components anymore.

Probably OT for this thread, but can't the BD disc itself limit the component resolution even on the older BD players? I'm thinking of selective output control. I believe it won't help to have a older BR player if you want HD over component
post #37 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Probably OT for this thread, but can't the BD disc itself limit the component resolution even on the older BD players? I'm thinking of selective output control. I believe it won't help to have a older BR player if you want HD over component

You're right, there is an aspect of the Blu-ray spec that, if used, would limit the component resolution for every blu-ray player ever made but it's called Image Constraint Token (Selective Output Control is a similar idea but it's only been proposed to the FCC and it's for set top boxes). If a blu-ray player detects an ICT flag on a blu-ray disc, it restricts output over component cables to 540p, slightly better than DVD quality (480p) but half the resolution of full HD (1080i/p).

Studios gained the right to start placing ICT on their new releases at the beginning of 2011 but I don't believe any title has been released with it yet. If one is, the blu-ray spec requires that the title's packaging clearly disclose the use of ICT. Also, ICT can't be added to already-released titles. Some people are waiting for the ICT shoe to drop but it may never be implemented. We'll see.

And I don't think it's off-topic since the restriction on component output that kicked in with the 2011 model year players may be important to some potential buyers.

BTW, the blu-ray spec says component outputs will be completely gone from any player introduced in 2013 and on.
post #38 of 273
I picked up one of these units at Best Buy today pretty much on a whim. It plays Blu-Ray disks fine (my old Toshiba was pretty much a hit or miss in that regard), but the network functionality is poor.

I was using Netflix on my Xbox 360 but grew tired of the high annual Xbox Live fee so wanted a player with Netflix support. Compared with the 360, the Netflix interface on the Sony is a joke... it only gives you access to your instant queue... that's it. No searching, no recently played, no recommendations. There are hints in some of the menu functions that more might be coming in future firmware releases, but who knows.

Another feature I wanted was streaming over my home network. I tried connecting up to Windows (7) Media Center and then to XBMC. More than 80% of my videos wouldn't show up or wouldn't play - all are AVI files, encoded in a variety of formats like xvid, divx. The same was the case with files stored on a USB memory stick - they simply wouldn't play, showing up as 'corrupted' when I tried. Have not tried the other network apps like Hulu or Pandora.

The one thing about this player that I really do like is the Android app for remote control. Easy to set up, worked like a charm. Will likely return this unit in the next few days.
post #39 of 273
Thanks for your insight. Do you have any info on the drive noise? Does it make any high pitched tones when playing a blu ray disc?

Thanks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecto View Post

I picked up one of these units at Best Buy today pretty much on a whim. It plays Blu-Ray disks fine (my old Toshiba was pretty much a hit or miss in that regard), but the network functionality is poor.

I was using Netflix on my Xbox 360 but grew tired of the high annual Xbox Live fee so wanted a player with Netflix support. Compared with the 360, the Netflix interface on the Sony is a joke... it only gives you access to your instant queue... that's it. No searching, no recently played, no recommendations. There are hints in some of the menu functions that more might be coming in future firmware releases, but who knows.

Another feature I wanted was streaming over my home network. I tried connecting up to Windows (7) Media Center and then to XBMC. More than 80% of my videos wouldn't show up or wouldn't play - all are AVI files, encoded in a variety of formats like xvid, divx. The same was the case with files stored on a USB memory stick - they simply wouldn't play, showing up as 'corrupted' when I tried. Have not tried the other network apps like Hulu or Pandora.

The one thing about this player that I really do like is the Android app for remote control. Easy to set up, worked like a charm. Will likely return this unit in the next few days.
post #40 of 273
It was fairly quiet, with the occasional chirping noise mostly at the beginning of the movie as the various title sequence elements loaded up. It wasn't as noticeable once the movie itself started.
post #41 of 273
Thanks. Hopefully, Sony replaced the drives that were used in the x70 models. I had to return my 570 because of the combination of too noisy of a drive and the epic fail Netflix stream.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecto View Post

It was fairly quiet, with the occasional chirping noise mostly at the beginning of the movie as the various title sequence elements loaded up. It wasn't as noticeable once the movie itself started.
post #42 of 273
Anyone know when the 580 is supposed to come out? I was about to break down and get the X57 at a bigbox retailer for $139, but they were all out... The price was good, but I'd want the 580 as soon as I saw it.
post #43 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellte2 View Post

Anyone know when the 580 is supposed to come out?

I spotted some at Best Buy a week or more ago.
post #44 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I spotted some at Best Buy a week or more ago.

I did as well. The S380, 480, and 580 are priced at $149, $179, and $199, respectivly. I am leaning towards the 380 as I do not need wireless and otherwise it seems as though the streaming capabilities are the same.
post #45 of 273
I just picked up the 380 today from Best Buy. I have a micro review (even smaller than mini) over in the 380 thread already started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan View Post
I did as well. The S380, 480, and 580 are priced at $149, $179, and $199, respectivly. I am leaning towards the 380 as I do not need wireless and otherwise it seems as though the streaming capabilities are the same.
post #46 of 273
Greetings guys,

I just picked up a 580 over the weekend and am encountering some issues. I bought it MAINLY for Pandora and Netflix use, along with the occasional BD or DVD. The Netflix and Pandora apps have been very bad, to say the least. Often it has network errors or will start and then quickly lock up. I have tried both the wired and wireless connection. No difference. I went thru 2 Samsungs and now the Sony is disappointing also. Maybe I should get a Roku. Any advice or suggestions?
post #47 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlee View Post

The cnet review linked above measured that the player without quick start draws 0.13 watts of power when turned off; with quick start enabled, the player draws 0.74 watts, an almost 600% increase in power consumption that occurs day and night, 24/7. In dollar amounts, quick start off and on cost of $0.99 per year versus $7.35/year, respectively.

I'm not sure about your numbers.
I got that the amount is 5.35 kw/h a year additional, what are you paying for electricity? 0.61W is insignificant. Think about- a CFL is using 12-20 Watts while it is on. Your TV is using 100+ Watts while it is on. I pay (I just checked) about $0.0931 - 0.105 /per kw/h.

SO- having quick start on would cost me an extra... $0.53 per year.
post #48 of 273
Is it true that Sony dropped DivX support in the 480 due to a licensing issue? (xvid is still there)
post #49 of 273
I need an extra USB port to power a fan I have in my cabinet, the Sony BDP-S480 needs a usb memory stick in the back for BD live. So my question is this, can I put a small hub back there for memory stick and my usb fan and still have the player see the USB memory stick for BD live?

My guess is that it cannot, if so is there any type of USB slitter that is not a hub that would work? I only need the second usb to power the fan.

Thanks
post #50 of 273
I tried attaching a small non powere four port USB hub to the S480 and the player said unsupported usb device attached, so no it won't work.

Doesn anyone even own this player on here? lol
post #51 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyknight View Post

Is it true that Sony dropped DivX support in the 480 due to a licensing issue? (xvid is still there)

Can anybody answer this question? I'd be very interested if this player is capable of playing DivX movies or not.

Thanks alot
post #52 of 273
I just purchased the Sony BDP-S480 and a Sony STR-DN1010 and seem to be encountering some problem. For whatever reason, the 480 will not output 5.1 over HDMI into the 1010. Video is fine, but it always just plays 2.1. I've checked and rechecked my settings in both the 480 and the 1010. This is my first blu-ray player so maybe I'm missing something somewhere, but I can't figure it out. My DirecTV reciever outputs 5.1 via HDMI into the receiver no problem. I can connect a digital coax between the 480 and 1010 and get 5.1, but last I recalled, HDMI can carry 5.1 and high def video. Anybody offer any assistance?

Kevin T
post #53 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgturner View Post

I just purchased the Sony BDP-S480 and a Sony STR-DN1010 and seem to be encountering some problem. For whatever reason, the 480 will not output 5.1 over HDMI into the 1010. Video is fine, but it always just plays 2.1. I've checked and rechecked my settings in both the 480 and the 1010. This is my first blu-ray player so maybe I'm missing something somewhere, but I can't figure it out. My DirecTV reciever outputs 5.1 via HDMI into the receiver no problem. I can connect a digital coax between the 480 and 1010 and get 5.1, but last I recalled, HDMI can carry 5.1 and high def video. Anybody offer any assistance?

Kevin T

I had same problem but with digital coax. I have old receiver that doesn't have HDMI, so I route HDMI video directly to TV and audio via digital coax to receiver. It seems there are 2 problems that may or may not be related:


1) Audio output from Blu-ray [RESOLVED]

My "old" BDP-N460 downconverted DTS-HD Master Audio to regular DTS and Dolby TrueHD to DD just fine via coax for Blu-ray.

Out of the box 480 would only do this for DTS-HD. Dolby TrueHD would output as 2.0

I messed around with "Audio Settings" and found that if you set "BD Audio MIX" to Off (default is On) Dolby TrueHD will be properly downconverted to DD 5.1. I don't know what you lose by changing this setting but it is worth a try.

2) Audio output from streaming [UNRESOLVED]

I mainly purchased this to have access to Vudu. I found that Vudu titles encoded as regular DD 5.1 are output as DD 5.1 via coax to my receiver (for instance "The Incredible Hulk" 2008). Titles encoded as DD+ ("Hanna") are downconverted to 2.0 channels via coax.

Amazon HD streaming is correctly output as DD 5.1
post #54 of 273
My question is really about Sony BDP-S480 but I don't think this feature is specific to this player. It may be called differently on other players.

Manual says:
--------------------------------
[BD Audio MIX Setting]
[On]: Outputs the audio obtained by mixing
the interactive and secondary audio to the
primary audio.
[Off]: Outputs the primary audio only. Select
this to output HD audio signals to an AV
amplifier (receiver).
-----------------------------------

By default this is ON

Can anyone explain what I will lose if I set it to OFF (I did and haven't noticed anything missing so far)? The reason I want it OFF is that when its ON the BD player downcoverts Dolby TrueHD not to DD 5.1 but to 2.0 for coax output. I need to use coax output because my receiver doesn't support HDMI (I route audio to receiver via coax and video directly to TV via HDMI)
post #55 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeschmoe007 View Post

My question is really about Sony BDP-S480 but I don't think this feature is specific to this player. It may be called differently on other players.

Manual says:
--------------------------------
[BD Audio MIX Setting]
[On]: Outputs the audio obtained by mixing
the interactive and secondary audio to the
primary audio.
[Off]: Outputs the primary audio only. Select
this to output HD audio signals to an AV
amplifier (receiver).
-----------------------------------

By default this is ON

Can anyone explain what I will lose if I set it to OFF (I did and haven't noticed anything missing so far)? The reason I want it OFF is that when its ON the BD player downcoverts Dolby TrueHD not to DD 5.1 but to 2.0 for coax output. I need to use coax output because my receiver doesn't support HDMI (I route audio to receiver via coax and video directly to TV via HDMI)

This is your "secondary audio" setting, which allows or prohibits hearing secondary audio. That would include menu sounds and the audio from special disc features like PIP commentaries. There's no compelling reason to have it enabled unless you are using one of those special features and need the audio.

Different players handle this differently, but most will require the output of lossy audio or at least LPCM audio. Via SPDIF (coax) output, multichannel LPCM is not an option so stick with bitstream. With DTS-MA tracks you will get the lossy core at 1.5Mb which is excellent quality. With Dolby THD tracks you will get an alternate lossy track of varying quality but still quite good.
post #56 of 273
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the issue I seem to be having.

I just purchased a Sony BDP-S480 Blu-Ray player. I have the player hooked up via HDMI to a Sony Bravia 46Z4100 and Coaxial audio out to an old (but still working great!) Sony STR-DE485 Surround Sound Receiver (circa 2002).

The problem is that when viewing both Blu-Rays and DVDs, there is a momentary delay of approximately 3-5 seconds where the audio can be heard, but there is no picture when first resuming from a stop or skipping chapters. I also get a blank screen when stopping playback for about the same amount of time.

I have tried changing every setting (color space, setting output mode to only 1080p instead of automatic, etc, etc) and the problem still persists.

The ONLY solution I have found that fixes the problem is to set 1080p/24p output to OFF instead of AUTO.

I know my model supports 24p, and the picture is very smooth with 24p enabled from the Blu-Ray player and Motion Enhancer enabled on my TV.

I have done all the firmware updates. Any suggestions? Or is this just a bug inherent in this player?

UPDATE: I tried hooking this up to my newer (2010) 32EX500 in my bedroom with the same results. Drop-outs with 24p output set to AUTO, no problems when disabled. I'm thinking it's the player. Anyone else have this problem on their 380/480/580/780 models?
post #57 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by amt97 View Post

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the issue I seem to be having.

I just purchased a Sony BDP-S480 Blu-Ray player. I have the player hooked up via HDMI to a Sony Bravia 46Z4100 and Coaxial audio out to an old (but still working great!) Sony STR-DE485 Surround Sound Receiver (circa 2002).

The problem is that when viewing both Blu-Rays and DVDs, there is a momentary delay of approximately 3-5 seconds where the audio can be heard, but there is no picture when first resuming from a stop or skipping chapters. I also get a blank screen when stopping playback for about the same amount of time.

I have tried changing every setting (color space, setting output mode to only 1080p instead of automatic, etc, etc) and the problem still persists.

The ONLY solution I have found that fixes the problem is to set 1080p/24p output to OFF instead of AUTO.

I know my model supports 24p, and the picture is very smooth with 24p enabled from the Blu-Ray player and Motion Enhancer enabled on my TV.

I have done all the firmware updates. Any suggestions? Or is this just a bug inherent in this player?

UPDATE: I tried hooking this up to my newer (2010) 32EX500 in my bedroom with the same results. Drop-outs with 24p output set to AUTO, no problems when disabled. I'm thinking it's the player. Anyone else have this problem on their 380/480/580/780 models?

No such problem with Sony KDL-46XBR9 and 480. Same setup (video directly to TV via HDMI, sound to old receiver via coax).
post #58 of 273
Could it be my HDMI cable? The ones I'm using are from Tartan Cable, and I've had no issues with them as of yet - I also tried my Monoprice cable and had the same result. It's worth mentioning I also bought the S780 and tried it out - guess what, same result!

I was considering picking up a new-in-box S560 on eBay or the S1000ES also new on eBay -- I could care less about the streaming features on this player and I obviously do not have a 3D set (KDL-46Z4100). I know those players have the option to set 24p to "ON" instead of "AUTO" in the settings. I also am not crazy about how they've cheapened up the cabinets on their current players. At least those models looked to be higher quality. Sony stuff as of late seems to be pretty generic-looking and cheaply made.

Thoughts?
post #59 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by amt97 View Post
Could it be my HDMI cable? The ones I'm using are from Tartan Cable, and I've had no issues with them as of yet - I also tried my Monoprice cable and had the same result. It's worth mentioning I also bought the S780 and tried it out - guess what, same result!

I was considering picking up a new-in-box S560 on eBay or the S1000ES also new on eBay -- I could care less about the streaming features on this player and I obviously do not have a 3D set (KDL-46Z4100). I know those players have the option to set 24p to "ON" instead of "AUTO" in the settings. I also am not crazy about how they've cheapened up the cabinets on their current players. At least those models looked to be higher quality. Sony stuff as of late seems to be pretty generic-looking and cheaply made.

Thoughts?
I use cheapest Monoprice cables and don't have this issue.

You won't like it but you may be SOL with *80 models. I think it may be dreaded HDMI handshake issue. To have it between 2 Sony components is preposterous though. Getting older Sony model is an option, as is trying different brand.
post #60 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeschmoe007 View Post
I use cheapest Monoprice cables and don't have this issue.

You won't like it but you may be SOL with *80 models. I think it may be dreaded HDMI handshake issue. To have it between 2 Sony components is preposterous though. Getting older Sony model is an option, as is trying different brand.
This is extremely frustrating! Do you have any experience with the S1000ES or the S560? Both seem to be similar models, the main difference is that the ES has the 5 year warranty and has Analog outs, which I don't need because I have a receiver with digital inputs. The ES also has a nicer remote control and the Super Bit Mapping PQ upgrade over the S560. I can get the S560 New-In-Box on eBay for $99 plus $15 for shipping and the S1000ES is currently listed at $275+$30 for shipping, which seems high compared to what people paid for that unit new when it was still widely available in stores and online. Seems like most people paid around $175-$200 when it was still readily available.

I like the build quality on both of those players better than the S480 and the fact that I can turn 24p "ON" instead of "AUTO" I think will solve the problem I'm having. Obviously I am not upgrading my TV! Haha
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Sony BDP-S480 Owner's Thread. All questions and comments go here