or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Danley SH-50/SH-60 for dedicated Home Theater
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Danley SH-50/SH-60 for dedicated Home Theater - Page 15

post #421 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by forin View Post

Semi bump, 6th page is to far back for this thread

Ivan, Ive been playing with crossover settings between the dts-10 and sm60f, I used to have everything @ 80hz. Now I have the sh-100 at 70 micros at 80hz and am torn between 50hz and 60hz for the sm-60s. Do you think 50hz hp is to low for the sm-60s? Its been hard isolating content that is 70-40 hz in movies.

Forin

You would be fine. In fact if you are not pushing them to the limit (most people would be nowhere near this in a home situation), you can actually apply a little boost down around 50-60Hz to "fill them out" a little bit.

Do you have a choice of HP filter types and slopes? If so, then use a 24dB Butterworth to get the most extension and flattest response down to the crossover.
post #422 of 705
Jesus


post #423 of 705
Thanks for the response guys. My current eq devices are limited to 1 mindsp for the dts-10s, it has a lot of HP options, currently both subs have a 10hz 24db butterworth. My other eq options are whatever is built into my Integra DHC 80.2. I don't think I will be buying Audyssey pro because I do not like what XT32 does in my room.

I also did something I should have left well enough alone. I decided to flip the inputs for my surrounds and fronts. I turned around a played a few surround heavy scenes. My SM60s are placed in the room corners with the sides flush to the wall as Tom had mentioned. This effect produces very very very realistic surround effect..... to the point that I might order 2 more sm60s and 2 more dts-10s ( they make wonderfully engaging speaker stands!! )


Forin
post #424 of 705
That was how I first discovered DSL. I was having some fun surfing on youtube and typed in "world's most powerful subwoofer", out came the above Matterhorn video clip. I remembered I did watch the whole video and thought to myself "that's crazy!" and that was it, I forgot about it, after all I was looking to entertain myself with some mega-buck, exotic-looking audiophile product. I wasn't even motivated to check out the company website! Then some months later, while checking out various pro sound speakers, the name Danley Sound Lab came up again, this time I decided to check out the company website. I didn't spend too long there; what I saw were some odd-looking cabinets and I couldn't see any drivers except a few holes in some unsightly horn mouth. Again I forgot about these odd-shape pro horn speakers. It wasn't until I came across some discussion in audio asylum about these synergy horns replacing electrostatic speakers and super expensive horn speakers that finally attracted my attention; an intense multi-month research period on these synergy horns followed. After many emails with Ivan and Ferenc I finally pull the trigger and bought a pair of SM60Fs shortly after they were introduced. It was the best hi-fi purchase in my 40+ years as a music lover!
post #425 of 705
I finially got everything installed. I made my own projector mount from 1/4 inch flat steel. I also have the Panamorph UH480 Anamorphic Lens. Hope you enjoy.







I played a few movie tracks and these Danley Speakers are awesome. Im coasting along at 124 DB.
post #426 of 705
No vibration issues with that LONG projector mount ?
post #427 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy View Post
No vibration issues with that LONG projector mount ?
none at all and I have 3 DTS 10 and the room is about to implode. Now when I get the TH221 that might be different.
post #428 of 705
Good looking install Mark!
post #429 of 705
kutlow I have some questions for you again

Why did you pick the crest pro series instead of the of something like the CD series with a linear power supply ?

And lastly do you hear any noise or hum from the Danley's with those high wattage class D amps ?
post #430 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy View Post

kutlow I have some questions for you again

Why did you pick the crest pro series instead of the of something like the CD series with a linear power supply ?

And lastly do you hear any noise or hum from the Danley's with those high wattage class D amps ?

None of the Crest x200 amps are class d. The 5200 is ab and the other 3 are class h(which is still ab just with increased efficiency).
post #431 of 705
My 2 SM60F's just passed local customs. The duties and fees are higher than usual unfortunately, more than 27% of "cost of items + shipment" ($1660 total). I've asked the shipper if any regulations or fees have changed recently.
post #432 of 705
Ettepet.....nationalized health care?
post #433 of 705
I'm already paying for that separately..
post #434 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post

None of the Crest x200 amps are class d. The 5200 is ab and the other 3 are class h(which is still ab just with increased efficiency).

Interesting ! Still looking at possible amps to replace my current gear. I was considering bryston or Krell but I think i would like to cut down the budget and spend the different on bigger Danley. I have been looking at the Emotiva amps as a possible alternative.
post #435 of 705
I'm using Face Audio amps on my Danley gear with great success. I have the gain maxed-out on each amp and there is no hint of noise floor with your ear placed at the horn's opening. diycable often has sales on these amps.

The SH50 is a modern marvel; I have never been so pleased by any other single purchase...EVER.

I hit 124dB with some Rush yesterday, and was amazed by how clean and effortless they sound...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy View Post

Interesting ! Still looking at possible amps to replace my current gear. I was considering bryston or Krell but I think i would like to cut down the budget and spend the different on bigger Danley. I have been looking at the Emotiva amps as a possible alternative.
post #436 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post
Good looking install Mark!
Thank you Tony. I put alot of time into installing it all. Plus Im very slow and everything has got to look good. Then on top of that I have 3 low back disc herniations that im dealing with.
post #437 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy View Post
kutlow I have some questions for you again

Why did you pick the crest pro series instead of the of something like the CD series with a linear power supply ?

And lastly do you hear any noise or hum from the Danley's with those high wattage class D amps ?
I picked this line since that is what Danley uses. No I do not get any hum at all. JIMP on this forum came over and found a hum that I had which was the ground coming from the projector recepticle. It was quickly fixed with a 2 prong adapter.
post #438 of 705
The Danley system that I have right now is awesome. The only thing im looking at changing is the 3 DTS 10 for a single TH221. rIGHT NOW IM COASTING at 121DB during movies and the dialog is insane. So clear, full and effortless. The 4 SH 100 for surround duty is also insane.
post #439 of 705
kutlow I have spent the last few days looking at the Crest amps, would be a nice cost savings over what I had planned. I think the 7200 is more my speed than the 9200. I have also played around with the idea of using 3 TH-mini up front to form a quasi-full range speaker with the SH50.

I have some job interviews over the next few days .... would be nice to be able to have some money to buy the danley speakers
post #440 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy View Post

kutlow I have spent the last few days looking at the Crest amps, would be a nice cost savings over what I had planned. I think the 7200 is more my speed than the 9200. I have also played around with the idea of using 3 TH-mini up front to form a quasi-full range speaker with the SH50.

I have some job interviews over the next few days .... would be nice to be able to have some money to buy the danley speakers

A couple thoughts. First, unless you find a great deal on some 7200's, the 8200 is priced very close to the 7200(I think $100 difference) so you may just want to go with the 8200 if you go with the crest x200 line.

Second, if you want to use a small danley tapped horn to form a quasi full range speaker with the sh50 I'd go with the cs30 instead of the th-mini. The mini doesn't seem to extend much further at all than the sh50 already does. That said, the cs30 doesn't the absolute output that the sh50 does, but a pair of them would still have significant output. Of course, if cost isn't much of an issue(nor space), get a pair of th50's. Perfect match with the sh50.
post #441 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy View Post

kutlow I have spent the last few days looking at the Crest amps, would be a nice cost savings over what I had planned. I think the 7200 is more my speed than the 9200. I have also played around with the idea of using 3 TH-mini up front to form a quasi-full range speaker with the SH50.

I have some job interviews over the next few days .... would be nice to be able to have some money to buy the danley speakers

Buy the 8200 since it is only 100.00 more street cost! I have a dealer who will take care of you. Email me kut304@yahoo.com
post #442 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy View Post

kutlow I have spent the last few days looking at the Crest amps, would be a nice cost savings over what I had planned. I think the 7200 is more my speed than the 9200. I have also played around with the idea of using 3 TH-mini up front to form a quasi-full range speaker with the SH50.

I have some job interviews over the next few days .... would be nice to be able to have some money to buy the danley speakers

I fell that would not really be a wise move. The TH mini only goes a couple of Hz lower than the SH50.

The SH50 is considered to be a full range product all by itself, and if it doesn't have a enough bass for you, you can always put a little boost down low to get it louder.

The woofers in the SH50 are rated at 700 watt continuous each-so 1400 watts continuous-2800watts music.

If you want to really extend the low freq, then I would look at the TH50-as it was designed to extend the SH50 down to around 20Hz.

A TH112 would be another good choice to extend the response down a bit.
post #443 of 705
I was only throwing out some ideas, I am 6-12months away from buying anything (I just LOVE to plan stuff out, almost as much as buying them .... yes I realize how sick that is).

Yes the 8200 is only about $100-150 more than the 7200 which only a few more than the 5200, but at what point is enough power enough ?


P.S. kutlow You are a bad influence on me, going to cost me a small fortune
post #444 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy View Post

I was only throwing out some ideas, I am 6-12months away from buying anything (I just LOVE to plan stuff out, almost as much as buying them .... yes I realize how sick that is).

Yes the 8200 is only about $100-150 more than the 7200 which only a few more than the 5200, but at what point is enough power enough ?


P.S. kutlow You are a bad influence on me, going to cost me a small fortune

Since you have the time-do a little math. Start with the desired level at the listening position-add in headroom-subtract distance losees-figure loudspeaker sensitivity and then add enought power to get to the figure you need/desire.

Just because a loudspeaker is rated at a particular "wattage" does not mean you have to have that available.

If a 1000 watt loudsepeaker will get loud enough for you with only 10 watts, then why waste your money.

We do have customers who are running SH50's with 1 and 2 watt amplifiers and are perfectly happy with them that way. They purchased them (SH50's)because of the sound quality and sensitivity and pattern control that allows them to hear more of the music the way it was intended-rather than the room with all the reflections.

Now granted-most people would like them to be a bit louder-but if you listen 1meter away- 1 or 2 watts can get fairly loud.

It is like your car-just because the speedometer goes to 140mph does not mean you drive it that fast.

Do you put the tires on your car that are rated for that speed? Most don't.

Headroom is a nice thing-but getting an amp with more than need is not buying you anything.

Of course if you want to get loud from time to time-it is nice to have the extra power.

For example. In the Danley demo room and at trade shows we only use a 700watt/ch/4 ohm amp for the left/right/surrounds.

This is in much larger rooms than most people have and anybody who has ever experienced a Danley demo does not walk away saying-"If they only had more power on the full range cabinets".

I am not aware that we have ever clipped the amp on the full range products.

We use a single 2200 watt/4 ohm amp for the subs-so not a ton of power there either.

Sensitivity is your friend.
post #445 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Beaver View Post

...snip...

Just because a loudspeaker is rated at a particular "wattage" does not mean you have to have that available.

If a 1000 watt loudsepeaker will get loud enough for you with only 10 watts, then why waste your money.

We do have customers who are running SH50's with 1 and 2 watt amplifiers and are perfectly happy with them that way. They purchased them (SH50's)because of the sound quality and sensitivity and pattern control that allows them to hear more of the music the way it was intended-rather than the room with all the reflections.

Now granted-most people would like them to be a bit louder-but if you listen 1meter away- 1 or 2 watts can get fairly loud.

It is like your car-just because the speedometer goes to 140mph does not mean you drive it that fast.

Do you put the tires on your car that are rated for that speed? Most don't.

Headroom is a nice thing-but getting an amp with more than need is not buying you anything.

Of course if you want to get loud from time to time-it is nice to have the extra power.

For example. In the Danley demo room and at trade shows we only use a 700watt/ch/4 ohm amp for the left/right/surrounds.

This is in much larger rooms than most people have and anybody who has ever experienced a Danley demo does not walk away saying-"If they only had more power on the full range cabinets".

I am not aware that we have ever clipped the amp on the full range products.

We use a single 2200 watt/4 ohm amp for the subs-so not a ton of power there either.

Sensitivity is your friend.

Good advice Ivan...

Yes, you can have too much power. Consider what are you going to do when you've cranked your amps as low as they'll go and your prepro has maxed out cutting levels and you still can't get your system balanced. The answer is that you'll have to go get yourself yet another amplifier with less power that allows you more latitude in your prepro.
post #446 of 705
If you want to be surprised, try a Parasound zAmp with an SM60 or SH50. 45W only, half rack width and sounds amazingly good for roughly 300 USD If you add a Parasound zPre preamp and the soon available zCD as well you will get a complete high-end audio system. For peanuts.
post #447 of 705
Does anyone know the brand of subwoofer that is used in the TH221? Id like to read up on it. I thought someone mentioned it awhile back.
post #448 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post

Does anyone know the brand of subwoofer that is used in the TH221? Id like to read up on it. I thought someone mentioned it awhile back.

I believe it's the B&C 21SW152. It may have some custom parameters, but I'm guessing not much. For good field serviceability, etc., I'm guessing it's relatively stock.

Good luck
post #449 of 705
Looks like 2 of them!

Ricci created the TH221 thread back in March, 2009.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1134290
post #450 of 705
I'll be following this thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Danley SH-50/SH-60 for dedicated Home Theater