or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Download Services & Hardware › Amazon Prime Instant Video
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amazon Prime Instant Video - Page 27

post #781 of 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post

It's a matter of Amazon getting a new app customized for each hardware platform - and usually standalone Blu-ray players are at the end of the waiting line, with priority being given to the PlayStation and the Roku, each of which have much larger installed bases than most disk players.

From Home Media Mag
Quote:
More than 45% of users connect their TVs to the Internet via multiple devices, and 55% use a standalone game console, Blu-ray Disc player (34%), smart TV (28%), or media player/set-top box (25%).


Hopefully Amazon will update the app soon.
post #782 of 1237
Amazon signs deal with EPIX which adds movies from Paramount Pictures, MGM, and Lionsgate.

Enjoy The Hunger Games, The Avengers, Thor, Iron Man 2, and Captain America: The First Avenger, plus recent hits such as Transformers: Dark of the Moon, Warrior, Super 8, True Grit, and Rango.

In all, 2,000 movies from EPIX will be coming to Prime Instant Video this year.
post #783 of 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomanystraydogs View Post

Amazon signs deal with EPIX which adds movies from Paramount Pictures, MGM, and Lionsgate.
Enjoy The Hunger Games, The Avengers, Thor, Iron Man 2, and Captain America: The First Avenger, plus recent hits such as Transformers: Dark of the Moon, Warrior, Super 8, True Grit, and Rango.
In all, 2,000 movies from EPIX will be coming to Prime Instant Video this year.
This is pretty awesome, I am enjoying Amazon Instant Video more all the time.
post #784 of 1237
Make it work on Airplay and you have something.
post #785 of 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomanystraydogs View Post

Amazon signs deal with EPIX which adds movies from Paramount Pictures, MGM, and Lionsgate.
Enjoy The Hunger Games, The Avengers, Thor, Iron Man 2, and Captain America: The First Avenger, plus recent hits such as Transformers: Dark of the Moon, Warrior, Super 8, True Grit, and Rango.
In all, 2,000 movies from EPIX will be coming to Prime Instant Video this year.

So are these the same titles that Netflix signed an agreement with EPIX earlier this year as well? The more choices and places to access the content the better for the consumer.
post #786 of 1237
Netflix’s exclusive deal with Epix expired.
post #787 of 1237
Netflix signed a multi year agreement with Epix-I believe it was for 5 years, the first 2 of which gave them exclusive access to the streaming rights for the material Epix supplied. Now that exclusivity has ended, and Epix is free to sell the same package to other streaming outlets. The Epix material will still be available on Instant Watch.,
post #788 of 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Netflix signed a multi year agreement with Epix-I believe it was for 5 years, the first 2 of which gave them exclusive access to the streaming rights for the material Epix supplied. Now that exclusivity has ended, and Epix is free to sell the same package to other streaming outlets. The Epix material will still be available on Instant Watch.,

I don't think so. At least according to the press release in the HDTV Programming thread under Latest HDTV News:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/838060/hot-off-the-press-the-latest-tv-news-and-information/82020

Post#82022

I think it has expired and now Amazon has exclusive rights to it, but I could be wrong.
post #789 of 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Make it work on Airplay and you have something.

Sure. Just convince Apple to allow Amazon to establish a beachhead on Apple devices to provide free streaming of movies and tv and rent and sell even more al la carte in competition with iTunes.

That Apple gives away a free iTunes client for Windows proves that the sale and rental of digital entertainment is a core business for Apple, not merely a come-on to sell its devices. Given the relative size of the user bases, Apple may well make more money selling entertainment to Windows owners than Apple owners.

In short: Don't hold your breath waiting for Amazon VOD to show up on an Apple device - and don't blame its absence on Amazon.
post #790 of 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Make it work on Airplay and you have something.
Jailbreak you Apple TV and it will.
post #791 of 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

I don't think so. At least according to the press release in the HDTV Programming thread under Latest HDTV News:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/838060/hot-off-the-press-the-latest-tv-news-and-information/82020
Post#82022
I think it has expired and now Amazon has exclusive rights to it, but I could be wrong.

On Netflix streaming I still see Thor in HD, Iron Man 2 in HD, Transformers Dark of the Moon in HD, Kick-Ass in HD, and Rango in HD. All from the Amazon press release. There are probably more but those are the only ones I checked on my Roku2.
post #792 of 1237
I was talking about this on the Roku forums (here):
Quote:
Amazon is bragging about the Epix deal on their site's top page, citing Captain America: The First Avenger, Thor, Iron Man 2, Super 8, True Grit, Warrior, Transformers: Dark of the Moon and Rango as being films that are now available due to the deal. I put all of them on my Amazon Watchlist and on my Netflix IQ and found that, on my Roku 2, none of them is in either HD or has a 5.1 soundtrack (though some of their pages on Amazon's site claim that they're in HD on the streamers). All are in HD on Netflix, with 5.1 sound for Thor (though it has a pretty bad HD transfer). I assume that the content providers don't want their best stuff on these buffet streaming service in its best presentation, but I'd rather watch these things in 1080p on Netflix than SD widescreen on Amazon.

All but Transformers and Rango show up as HD w/5.1 sound in the Amazon player on the PS3 (one of the finest pieces of UI design that I've ever seen for any app on any platform), so the fact that they don't appear as such on Roku could be a bug in Roku's player (I played a little of True Grit on the PS3 and was getting 7.1 channel LPCM--for some reason the PS3 does not choose to pass Dolby through).
post #793 of 1237
I put them on my watch list from my pc but haven't looked for them in my Roku yet - but here's an idea: It may be that the watch list button on the Amazon web site puts the lowest-common-denominator version of the film onto your watch list.

Maybe if you search for the films in the Amazon app on the Roku you might find the HD versions.

I may not have time to try this for a few days, but if you do, I'd be interested in reading what you find.

I generally find that Amazon's 720p/5.1 feed of movies is pretty good. As a member of the pre-HDMI AVR fraternity, I'm trapped back in the last generation of Rokus that have an optical SPDIF jack (I use the XDS, which can do 1080p, but gets that only from the 1080p Showcase - scraped from YouTube).

With that box I get 5.1 Dolby Digital from Amazon but only stereo from Netflix, with both of them at 720p, so my Amazon streams can be technically-superior to my Netflix streams.
post #794 of 1237
As I wrote in my post above, when I look at the same items in the Watchlist on the PS3's Amazon player they are in HD with 5.1 sound (all except Transformers and Rango and I don't think that Amazon claims that they're in HD). If you go to Amazon's page for the titles that are in HD, it says that they're available in HD.

I just searched for them on my Roku no HD copy shows up for any of them. Iron Man 2 shows up as HD w/5.1 sound on the Roku but none of the others. I feel fairly certain that it's a bug in the Roku Amazon player.
post #795 of 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

As I wrote in my post above, when I look at the same items in the Watchlist on the PS3's Amazon player they are in HD with 5.1 sound (all except Transformers and Rango and I don't think that Amazon claims that they're in HD). If you go to Amazon's page for the titles that are in HD, it says that they're available in HD.
I just searched for them on my Roku no HD copy shows up for any of them. Iron Man 2 shows up as HD w/5.1 sound on the Roku but none of the others. I feel fairly certain that it's a bug in the Roku Amazon player.

Michael T Scott were you a Network Engineer for a large Defense/Integration firm in SD? I just remember a guy by that name a few years back but alas your name is quite common I am sure.
post #796 of 1237
As I wrote in my post above, when I look at the same items in the Watchlist on the PS3's Amazon player they are in HD with 5.1 sound (all except Transformers and Rango and their pages at Amazon's site don't claim that they're in HD; strangely neither does the page for Super 8, but it shows up as in HD w/5.1 sound in the PS3's player). If you go to Amazon's page for the titles that are in HD, it says that they're available in HD.

I just searched for them on my Roku no HD copy shows up for any of them except for Iron Man 2 which shows up as HD w/5.1 sound. I feel fairly certain that it's a bug in the Roku Amazon player.
post #797 of 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post


In short: Don't hold your breath waiting for Amazon VOD to show up on an Apple device - and don't blame its absence on Amazon.

You mean like this?
post #798 of 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post

Yep, I'm using the Amazon Video On Demand App for my Ipad. It works quite well and has a nice user interface.

Oh - that's very different. Nevermind.
post #799 of 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post

Oh - that's very different. Nevermind.

How is that different? C'mon Philnick, I want to hear your explanation! wink.gif

(Just kidding...)
post #800 of 1237
Nothing different about it. The only thing it presently does not do is Airplay.
post #801 of 1237
No one here remembers Emily Litella from the early years of Saturday Night Live?

And now, here's Emily Litella with a listener comment:

"What's all this I hear about saving Soviet jewlery? What's so special about Soviet jewlery?"

Dan Ackroyd leans over - "That's Soviet Jewry, not jewelry."

"Oh - that's very different. Nevermind."


It's a sad day when you have to footnote a reference to pop culture!

Oh, well, if it's not one thing, it's another.
post #802 of 1237
Anyone having an issue with the watch list not displaying more than 25 titles?

ROKU HD

Noticed it the day the Epix deal was announced.

TV seems fine, only Movies has an issue with more than 25 titles.

tia
post #803 of 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post

No one here remembers Emily Litella from the early years of Saturday Night Live?
I remember those bits. My favorite was "What's all this fuss about Sax and Violins on television?" biggrin.gif
post #804 of 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomanystraydogs View Post

Anyone having an issue with the watch list not displaying more than 25 titles?
ROKU HD
Noticed it the day the Epix deal was announced.
TV seems fine, only Movies has an issue with more than 25 titles.
tia
That's kind of odd, I'm showing 63 on my two Rokus from the previous generation (XD and XDS) as well as my Roku 2XS and my PS3.
post #805 of 1237
Buck - that's good to know, mines really dead set on not showing any movie titles past 25.

I get the 'can't contact Amazon, bla bla' message.

No buffering, displays 27 tv titles, really never had an issue until now.

speedtest.net has me at 20Mbps down, 1 up and a 15ms ping. Not sure where the prime servers are located.

bummer, the watch list is really helpful.
post #806 of 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomanystraydogs View Post

Anyone having an issue with the watch list not displaying more than 25 titles?

I called Amazon yesterday, today it's fixed smile.gif
post #807 of 1237
I'm disappointed that Iron Man 2 is listed as HD and 5.1 yet on my Roku I'm getting 2.0 pcm. Is anyone getting 5.1 via the Roku for this title?
post #808 of 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

I'm disappointed that Iron Man 2 is listed as HD and 5.1 yet on my Roku I'm getting 2.0 pcm. Is anyone getting 5.1 via the Roku for this title?

I get Dolby D when I play it on my Roku 2 XS, as attested by my Onkyo AVR's audio information overlay.

Something is broken in the Roku Amazon player; other titles that Amazon announced as getting in that Epix deal are listed on Amazon's site as being available in HD and in fact show up as being in HD with 5.1 sound on the PS3's Amazon player, but don't show either HD or surround sound in the Roku 2's player. If you search for the titles with in the Roku player no HD versions show up in the results. I complained about it here in the Roku forums.
post #809 of 1237
Last night I took a closer look at Thor on Amazon and Netflix from my Roku2. On Netflix is was 5.1 DD+ but it was not the OAR. It was formatted to fit the entire screen. On Amazon it was in the OAR but it was only in stereo. And it was not in HD.

I see Iron Man 2 on Amazon is only in stereo as well(even though it's listed as 5.1). But at least it's in HD.
post #810 of 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Last night I took a closer look at Thor on Amazon and Netflix from my Roku2. On Netflix is was 5.1 DD+ but it was not the OAR. It was formatted to fit the entire screen. On Amazon it was in the OAR but it was only in stereo. And it was not in HD.
I see Iron Man 2 on Amazon is only in stereo as well(even though it's listed as 5.1). But at least it's in HD.

Again, I'm getting Dolby D from Iron Man 2 played on my Roku 2 XS. The "HD" transfer of Thor on Netflix is absolutely terrible. Many of these Epix-deal titles are limited to 720p on Netflix which still looks great for most of them (but definitely not Thor).

As I stated in my complaint on the Roku forums, I put the following on my Amazon Watchlist (all films newly available due to the Epix deal): Captain America: The First Avenger, Thor, Iron Man 2, Super 8, True Grit and Warrior. All of them are listed as being available in HD on Amazon (those links are to HD versions of their pages), all show up as HD with 5.1 sound in the PS3's (truly outstanding) Amazon player but only Iron Man 2 shows up as HD with 5.1 sound in the Roku 2's Amazon player. If you search for them from within the Roku's player no HD version shows up in the results.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Download Services & Hardware › Amazon Prime Instant Video