or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Is anyone here using an Antec Low Profile AV Component Cooler to cool your receiver?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is anyone here using an Antec Low Profile AV Component Cooler to cool your receiver?

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Is anyone here using an Antec Low Profile AV Component Cooler to cool your receiver?
If so please tell me more about it such as how many fans are in it, which direction they blow, where is the fan exaust, how quiet is it and does it work pretty well? Oh and how thick is it?

Link to the Antec cooler.

If you read the reviews at Amazon there are a bunch of folks using this to cool their receivers.
post #2 of 20
I have one of these on my Onkyo 608, which doesn't really run hot to begin with, but my previous Onkyo receiver ran hot as Hell and I got the AV cooler to remedy that. Short answer, this thing works incredibly well even on low speed (the only speed I run it at). It is silent on low and vents out the back of the unit to expel hot air outside your av stand. (you'll feel the hot air pushed out above and behind your receiver if you place it right) I use mine in an enclosed wood entertainment center which is a worse case scenario and heat is not an issue. On high it is loud enough to hear at close distances but it isn't as loud as say a computer fan on high.

I got a deal on mine otherwise I'd have an Antec AV Cooler (Veris) on all my components they're pretty damn expensive and not a lot of places carry them from what I've seen.
post #3 of 20
I'm very much looking into getting one of these units and I have a few questions which I have yet seen asked:

1) I didn't realize how old this product is (~2007), is this still the only product of its kind in 2011?
2) What type of fans does this unit use? From the pictures it looks like 80x80x20 mm.
3) Has anybody tried to see how easy/hard it is to replace the fans? I'm fairly certain I could get a couple of 80mm fans that can put out more than 8CFM at less than 23dB

P.S.: Thought it would be more appropriate to necro this thread than to create a new one since I had some unasked questions
post #4 of 20
Replacing the fans is impossible but you can blow out the dust. They are fairly reliable I have 2 of then and the fans outlasted every other fan I use.
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaR3D View Post

Replacing the fans is impossible but you can blow out the dust. They are fairly reliable I have 2 of then and the fans outlasted every other fan I use.

I'm glad to see they are reliable, but impossible is a strong word. From the few pictures I've seen on Antec's site, it appears that there are a number of screws on the bottom side of the unit which would allow you to remove the plastic blower mold; is that not the case? Is the unit glued shut or something causing you to damage it just to get to the fans?
post #6 of 20
I recall trying to pry it open without success i think the middle screw is actually not removable but there's no point the fans haven't died or whined like many pc fans do when they wear out.

This Antec unit is not sufficient for many hot receivers you would be better of with a large, quiet USB fan if you are a do it yourselfer.
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaR3D View Post

I have one of these on my Onkyo 608, which doesn't really run hot to begin with, but my previous Onkyo receiver ran hot as Hell and I got the AV cooler to remedy that. Short answer, this thing works incredibly well even on low speed (the only speed I run it at). It is silent on low and vents out the back of the unit to expel hot air outside your av stand. (you'll feel the hot air pushed out above and behind your receiver if you place it right) I use mine in an enclosed wood entertainment center which is a worse case scenario and heat is not an issue. On high it is loud enough to hear at close distances but it isn't as loud as say a computer fan on high.

I got a deal on mine otherwise I'd have an Antec AV Cooler (Veris) on all my components they're pretty damn expensive and not a lot of places carry them from what I've seen.

Omega:

I live in Canada also, where did you purchase the fan ? Price, etc, etc

Thanks

Jamie
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeweedogue View Post

Omega:

I live in Canada also, where did you purchase the fan ? Price, etc, etc

Thanks

Jamie

I've thought of getting one of these but am currently running a 120mm USB powered fan over the HDMI board of my 5508 and it works well. I've decided to get a second fan to add to it.
post #9 of 20
I bought one & it lowered the temp of my Onkyo down to 36c from 44c. I then bought a Niles which costs a lot more that lowered the temp down to 27c.
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeweedogue View Post

Omega:

I live in Canada also, where did you purchase the fan ? Price, etc, etc

Thanks

Jamie

I bought them used for $20-40 and have since sold them both recently as I stopped using them.

Buy a couple of these instead I've been using 2 of these for about a year it keeps my Onkyo 3008 stone cold. These are completely silent and push far more air than the Antec units (which get loud on high speed).

http://www.123inkcartridges.ca/compu...L_828_BLK.html

On sale for 6.99!

I experimented with both ways but settled on having them pull the hot air out of the receiver that works well.
post #11 of 20
Thanks for the link Omega, might have to try these as my Denon 3312 gets hot.
post #12 of 20
Thanks for the help guys. Great on-line community. I'm sure I'll learn a lot.

Jamie
post #13 of 20
I recently purchased the following for around $50. This is a quieter fan than the ones above and also includes a thermal controller to automate the fan. The thermal controller is set to switch on at 87 degree F., so the fan doesn't operate when the amp isn't running hard - a nice feature when even a low noise unit might be audible.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i02_details

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i01_details

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

The thermal controller is just a bit bigger than a matchbook and supports a second fan. Everything is simple plug and play.
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

I recently purchased the following for around $50. This is a quieter fan than the ones above and also includes a thermal controller to automate the fan. The thermal controller is set to switch on at 87 degree F., so the fan doesn't operate when the amp isn't running hard - a nice feature when even a low noise unit might be audible.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i02_details

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i01_details

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

The thermal controller is just a bit bigger than a matchbook and supports a second fan. Everything is simple plug and play.

That's likely the best all around solution if you're willing to spend a few bucks; I have that Noctua fan on my CPU it's quiet.

The two fans I use run off my receiver and Xbox 360 and one of them is always on so it's far from the ideal solution. I'll have to get one of those Coolerguys controllers eventually.
post #15 of 20
Noctua fans are amazingly quiet. I have used them for years now in my HTPC...anyone who has ever had a loud PC knows that it would be a horrible distraction during any movie.
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaR3D View Post

That's likely the best all around solution if you're willing to spend a few bucks; I have that Noctua fan on my CPU it's quiet.

The two fans I use run off my receiver and Xbox 360 and one of them is always on so it's far from the ideal solution. I'll have to get one of those Coolerguys controllers eventually.

The Coolerguys controller was a nice addition - I tested the accuracy of the thermal control and it's accurate to within 2 degrees. It's amazingly small, though I did have to tape over the bright green LED power indicator.

Sticking a couple of soft rubber feet to the bottom of the fan made for an even quieter solution by reducing the contact with the amp and quieting the airflow, as the Noctua wasn't as quiet oriented horizontally as vertically.
post #17 of 20
Some of those look to be good products, however they will not work for me. The space between the top of my Denon 2112 on the shelf above is less than an inch. Any cooling fan needs to be about 1/2 inch thick and exhausts to the side. Any ideas that won't break the bank?

As I have exceeded my home theater budget by about $1000 already, cost is a HUGE factor because my wife will literally end my life when she comes back from vacation... on a side note, I do not recommend waiting until your wife is on vacation to make the purchases... it only prolongs the inevitable and exacerbates the issue when she comes home. Just saying...
post #18 of 20
I was thinking of getting a cooler and came across the Antec and then of course came here looking for more info, and I'm glad the search feature brought me to this thread. For the Antec, is it always on? Is there a way to turn it off besides unplugging it? No need for it to run except when the receiver is on, but I also don't want to have to climb behind the entertainment center to plug/unplug it.
post #19 of 20
Any feedback?
post #20 of 20
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Is anyone here using an Antec Low Profile AV Component Cooler to cool your receiver?