or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread - Page 335

post #10021 of 11024
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post

My wife gave me a BDP-95 for Christmas. My projector does not have HDMI capability, so the 105 is a no go. I have a question. Is there anyway to get the subwoofer to play when playing stereo SACD discs?

Use the multichannel outputs, set the L-R speakers to "small". You can also use the setup option to make the dedicated stereo outs into L-R and use them with the multichannel outs in the same way.

The player also has analog video outputs for your PJ, although resolution will be limited with encrypted discs. Or, you can buy one of the black boxes that converts HDMI output to analog.

And give that woman a big kiss.
post #10022 of 11024
Now that the BDP-105 is out... chances are that bdp-95 will be out in the market for under the 1000 dollar bracket, is the newer BDP-105 any better in terms of features, pq quality and sound? Or should i keep an eye for bdp-95 for a price drop.. saw crutchfield is selling refurbs for around 750, however i will still wait for new 95 unit.

What do you suggest.
post #10023 of 11024
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian View Post

Now that the BDP-105 is out... chances are that bdp-95 will be out in the market for under the 1000 dollar bracket, is the newer BDP-105 any better in terms of features, pq quality and sound? Or should i keep an eye for bdp-95 for a price drop.. saw crutchfield is selling refurbs for around 750, however i will still wait for new 95 unit.

What do you suggest.

You can see the feature changes from the 93/95 to the 103/105 here: How is the BDP-103 different from the BDP-93?

-Bill
post #10024 of 11024
This was also done in the previous The Dark Knight movie. Parts of the film were shot using an IMAX camera and so what you saw is supposed to happen. A lot more of this movie was shot in IMAX than was the case with The Dark Knight.. It is quite normal for this film.
post #10025 of 11024
Hi all. I have recently had two odd occurences with different Universal Blu-ray discs. I paused them for several minutes and upon my return, the whole screen was filled with an Orwellian Universal logo and not the traditional Oppo screensaver. No matter what I pushed on the remote or the player, it stayed frozen to "UNIVERSAL". After pushing stop on the player a few times, it then started scanning for Hulu releases, though I have never set up Hulu. The only way to get out was to eject the discs, restart them, and then search through the chapters to find where I was at. Has anyone seen this happen? Is there some other way to get out of a freeze without having to restart the disc? Thanks!
post #10026 of 11024
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM1415 View Post

Hi all. I have recently had two odd occurences with different Universal Blu-ray discs. I paused them for several minutes and upon my return, the whole screen was filled with an Orwellian Universal logo and not the traditional Oppo screensaver. No matter what I pushed on the remote or the player, it stayed frozen to "UNIVERSAL". After pushing stop on the player a few times, it then started scanning for Hulu releases, though I have never set up Hulu. The only way to get out was to eject the discs, restart them, and then search through the chapters to find where I was at. Has anyone seen this happen? Is there some other way to get out of a freeze without having to restart the disc? Thanks!

Everyone loves the Universal Studios screensaver. See this old FAQ for how to deal with it: How do I resume from the screensaver on Universal Studio discs?.

-Bill
post #10027 of 11024
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM1415 View Post

Hi all. I have recently had two odd occurences with different Universal Blu-ray discs. I paused them for several minutes and upon my return, the whole screen was filled with an Orwellian Universal logo and not the traditional Oppo screensaver. No matter what I pushed on the remote or the player, it stayed frozen to "UNIVERSAL". After pushing stop on the player a few times, it then started scanning for Hulu releases, though I have never set up Hulu. The only way to get out was to eject the discs, restart them, and then search through the chapters to find where I was at. Has anyone seen this happen? Is there some other way to get out of a freeze without having to restart the disc? Thanks!

Congratulations! You've discovered Universal's incredibly badly programmed Screen Saver! This is an important rite of passage for all new Blu-ray users.

Universal's Screen Saver continues their long streak of award winning, Stupid Studio-Programmer Tricks. The Screen Saver is actually part of the "BD-Java" programming on the disc itself, which seizes control of normal player functions and replaces them with the sort of quality, user experience only Franz Kafka could love. Or perhaps Terry Gilliam.

There are actually several different buttons on the remote which will let you escape from the clutches of the Universal Screen Saver. None of them are intuitive, as you've already found out.

I like to use Pop-Up Menu, which will both dismiss the Universal Screen Saver AND set the movie Playing again.
--Bob
post #10028 of 11024
Thanks! While it looks cool, it was a little creepy with its insistence on being "obeyed". I was using my Harmony remote so perhaps it did not have the right button power to break free from Universal's clutches. I'll try your ideas if it happens again.
post #10029 of 11024
I figured this one out on my own after 2 or 3 times stopping the disc and resuming from Stop. I too prefer the pop-up menu method of resume.
post #10030 of 11024
Anyone knows of a wifi module replacement? can't find the original...

Thanks
post #10031 of 11024
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrevo View Post

Anyone knows of a wifi module replacement? can't find the original...

Thanks

You mean you've lost your original Wifi dongle? Just give OPPO Tech Support a call and they can sell you a replacement part Wifi dongle.
--Bob
post #10032 of 11024
As a 95 owner I debated hard about upgrading to the 105. By all accounts the audio for the stock 105 is an improvement which is always something that gets me excited. I didn't really need any of the other goodies that the 105 offered so it came down to audio. As I weighed the pros & cons of selling the 95 & buying the 105 it occurred to me the modding might be an option. Long story short...off to Modwright it went for the "Solid State 2CH + MCH Mod". Two weeks later (2 weeks without the Oppo is not fun) I received it back from Dan & began to listen. After 3 weeks of listening all I can say is it was worth the wait. The first thing that hit me was tighter bass, tighter everything, super clean separation. This mod puts the 95 in a whole new league. I really can't say enough about how great this thing sounds now & to think it will actually continue to improve is exciting. By no means am I an audiophile but about once a year I get an itch....thanks to Dan Wright for scratching it.
post #10033 of 11024
I sent my 95 to Dan at Modwright as soon as I got it...I'm very pleased with the Solid State 2CH and MCH Mod too
post #10034 of 11024
yes the dongle, I was wondering if there is any compatible unit somewhere else? so I can pick it up soon and not having to wait...
Edited by mrevo - 1/4/13 at 8:39am
post #10035 of 11024
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrevo View Post

yes the dongle, I was wondering if there is any compatible unit somewhere else? so I can pick it up soon and not having to wait...

You obviously have wireless, you could pick up a remote access point to talk to your router then hardline the oppo, but the dongle would be the best solution. Call them they'll get it out pretty quick.
post #10036 of 11024
Hey how the heck does the Oppo Android remote works? It tell me theirs no Blu ray player around, I think I read it doesn't have a off button so I manually turned the 95 on, but still I get nothing but a radar screen looking for the player?


Djoel
post #10037 of 11024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Hey how the heck does the Oppo Android remote works? It tell me theirs no Blu ray player around, I think I read it doesn't have a off button so I manually turned the 95 on, but still I get nothing but a radar screen looking for the player?


Djoel

After you turn on the 95, it takes a while for its networking to become live. Try telling the app to Search again. Both the 95 and the device running the app must be using the same local network.

If still no luck, use the regular remote for the 95 to verify that its networking really is live (Setup > Network Setup > Connection Test).
--Bob
post #10038 of 11024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

After you turn on the 95, it takes a while for its networking to become live. Try telling the app to Search again. Both the 95 and the device running the app must be using the same local network.
If still no luck, use the regular remote for the 95 to verify that its networking really is live (Setup > Network Setup > Connection Test).
--Bob

Thanks I'll try it again..
post #10039 of 11024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Hey how the heck does the Oppo Android remote works? It tell me theirs no Blu ray player around, I think I read it doesn't have a off button so I manually turned the 95 on, but still I get nothing but a radar screen looking for the player?
Djoel
In addition to what Bob said, there's no on command because the BDP-93/95 don't have a quick start mode which would leave the network stack active when the player is in standby so it can respond to commands. This is one of those little features added to the 103 and 105.
post #10040 of 11024
Thanks Bob the advice worked smile.gif

Djoel
post #10041 of 11024
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

In addition to what Bob said, there's no on command because the BDP-93/95 don't have a quick start mode which would leave the network stack active when the player is in standby so it can respond to commands. This is one of those little features added to the 103 and 105.

Thanks, got it.

Djoel
post #10042 of 11024
I watched the new Total Recall Blu Ray last night and had audio drop-outs throughout the movie. Anyone else experience this on their 95?
post #10043 of 11024
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post

I watched the new Total Recall Blu Ray last night and had audio drop-outs throughout the movie. Anyone else experience this on their 95?

Search is your friend. This is a known issue and just not on Oppo...try google.

http://www.avsforum.com/newsearch/?search=Total+Recall&resultSortingPreference=recency&output=posts&containingforum[0]=149&type=all&advanced=1
Edited by obie_fl - 1/6/13 at 10:49am
post #10044 of 11024
What is supposed to be displayed on the front panel display when a dobly digital audio source is playing? Is it just the dolby symbol or the dolby symbol and "D"? I purchased a refurbished model recently and want to verify what is being displayed is correct. I searched this thread, but couldn't find an answer.

Thanks!
djc
post #10045 of 11024
Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post

I watched the new Total Recall Blu Ray last night and had audio drop-outs throughout the movie. Anyone else experience this on their 95?

Search is your friend. This is a known issue and just not on Oppo...try google.

http://www.avsforum.com/newsearch/?search=Total+Recall&resultSortingPreference=recency&output=posts&containingforum[0]=149&type=all&advanced=1

Word out from CES today is that Sony has finally 'fessed up to this problem, published the expected workaround (i.e., use LPCM output instead), and declared a recall/exchange program where you can get a new, less broken disc by sending them your current, stupidly-authored disc:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/010713_1200

Spread the word. Sony thoroughly deserves to have to absorb the expense of replacing every last one of these stupidly-authored Blu-ray discs.
--Bob
post #10046 of 11024
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

You can reinstall the firmware via USB or optical disc. I think that would be a good idea in this case.
Also do a Reset Factory Defaults.
-Bill

Thanks Bill but it did not work too... mad.gif

Is There any chance like "hard reset" ? Something more "radical"? biggrin.gif

Anyway, the Sound and video quality are outstanding...

Greetings,

Jorge
post #10047 of 11024
Quote:
Originally Posted by joarfeve View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

You can reinstall the firmware via USB or optical disc. I think that would be a good idea in this case.
Also do a Reset Factory Defaults.
-Bill

Thanks Bill but it did not work too... mad.gif

Is There any chance like "hard reset" ? Something more "radical"? biggrin.gif

Anyway, the Sound and video quality are outstanding...

Greetings,

Jorge

You're still having all your original problems? Time to contact OPPO, I'd say.

Try disconnecting from power for 30 minutes first. It sometimes has an effect.

-Bill
post #10048 of 11024
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

I have several hd tracks downloads. They sound just fine on my bpd-95. There must be something wrong. Check all your settings.
You might try burning them to dvd-audio. I use Burn for osx. It produces dvd audio discs from flac. Its free as well, another plus!

Thanks for this input! I have burned the offending files to DVD-A via Burn at your suggestion, and I find the results to be much improved. Appreciate your help.

Whatever I was doing wrong, I won't do anymore. I find that the flac files on the Apple USB are not copy protected, so I am burning them to DVD-A as well, leaving the little device safely stored away. Burn works great!biggrin.gif
post #10049 of 11024
Quote:
Originally Posted by djc1079 View Post

What is supposed to be displayed on the front panel display when a dobly digital audio source is playing? Is it just the dolby symbol or the dolby symbol and "D"? I purchased a refurbished model recently and want to verify what is being displayed is correct. I searched this thread, but couldn't find an answer.
Thanks!
djc
I get just the Dolby symbol. Mine's not a refurb.
post #10050 of 11024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viritrilbia View Post

I get just the Dolby symbol. Mine's not a refurb.
Thanks for the confirmation! That's what I see as well.

- djc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread