or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread - Page 347

post #10381 of 11024
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Not true!!! (sigh)
Ooops, sorry......my bad! It just seemed pretty clear by reading your last sentence that the 3910 was more expendable than the 83SE. I guess I should be more careful making assumptions based on interpretations.

 

Nope you missed my poor attempt at humorsmile.gif ...the Denon has to go, but I'm waffling on the 83SE...

 

Finally gave in and sold my SE for $500 on ebay to a buyer whose going to use it for playing only CD/SACDs in 2CH mode only. Oh well. it was really nice while it lasted.Now only if the 3910 was to go...

post #10382 of 11024
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aecad View Post

Should it be assumed that any firmware after 61-1219 will not let one roll back?
Unless you know the new instructions, that is correct. 61-1219 is the last firmware which will allow the player to be downgraded to the a previous firmware release, though really there is no reason to downgrade past the 61-1219.
post #10383 of 11024
Hi there,

I am currently looking for an Oppo BDP95 because of it's ability to playback BDMV without Cinavia implemented.

I understood that the BDP95 is currently able to playback BDMV (2D/3D with menus) even with the latest firmware. Is that correct?
I couldn't find information about if BDMV playback is only possible from a local storage (USB stick/HDD) or if you can stream it from a NAS (SMB/NFS)?
post #10384 of 11024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passi View Post

Hi there,

I am currently looking for an Oppo BDP95 because of it's ability to playback BDMV without Cinavia implemented.

I understood that the BDP95 is currently able to playback BDMV (2D/3D with menus) even with the latest firmware. Is that correct?

Yes.
Quote:
I couldn't find information about if BDMV playback is only possible from a local storage (USB stick/HDD) or if you can stream it from a NAS (SMB/NFS)?

Local storage only. The -95 does not support SMB at all. It does have DLNA, but BDMV is not supported over DLNA (by anyone, as far as I know).

-Bill
post #10385 of 11024
Hi Bill,

thank you for your fast answer.

Thought so, but I hoped maybe it would also work via network.
I guess there is no way to simulate a mass storage device on usb port from a samba share or someting like it, is it? Unfortunately the player is worthless for me if I am not able to stream the files via network :-(
post #10386 of 11024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passi View Post

Hi Bill,

thank you for your fast answer.

Thought so, but I hoped maybe it would also work via network.
I guess there is no way to simulate a mass storage device on usb port from a samba share or someting like it, is it? Unfortunately the player is worthless for me if I am not able to stream the files via network :-(

There's no "one box solution". If you need media box features you have to get a media box.
post #10387 of 11024
Has anyone had the experience of their Oppo not playing the multi-channel layer of an SACD? For the past two days mine has suddenly started playing only the two channel layer. I checked the setup and it's set to default to multi-channel. If I stop the disc, turn off the unit then back on again, all seems to be well, but that's obviously not very convenient! Back to my Sony SCD-XA5400ES!
Edited by bwv1080 - 4/23/13 at 8:18pm
post #10388 of 11024
Thread Starter 
Ensure that you have SACD Priority (Playback Setup) set to Multi-Channel.

Press the AUDIO button during playback. Does the player switch between stereo and mult-channel, or does it remain at stereo?

Make sure this is a multi-channel disc.

If all else fails, try cleaning the disc head.
post #10389 of 11024
Quick question: I have a new Marantz 8801 SSP that isn't talking to my plasma via HDMi. (No video.)

I have the BDP-95, and it has 2 HDMI outputs. Are they functional at the same time?

I.e, if I can't solve the video output of the 8801 to plasma problem, is this a viable solution:

a) HDMI 1 out to the display for video
b) HDMI 2 out to the 8801 for audio

??

Thanks !!
post #10390 of 11024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C Brown View Post

Quick question: I have a new Marantz 8801 SSP that isn't talking to my plasma via HDMi. (No video.)

I have the BDP-95, and it has 2 HDMI outputs. Are they functional at the same time?

I.e, if I can't solve the video output of the 8801 to plasma problem, is this a viable solution:

a) HDMI 1 out to the display for video
b) HDMI 2 out to the 8801 for audio

??

Thanks !!
Yes. That in fact is the REASON there are two outputs on the player -- specifically for folks who can't get video through their AVR as in the case of 3D video and a non-3D-capable AVR.

Depending on how your TV and AVR implement their HDMI, you may need to physically disconnect the HDMI from the AVR to the TV to get this to work well, or a settings change in the AVR to accomplish much the same thing. The idea is to keep two HDMI paths from coming together again at one point (your TV).

Set Setup > Video Setup > Primary Output to HDMI 1 in the OPPO.
--Bob
post #10391 of 11024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Yes. That in fact is the REASON there are two outputs on the player -- specifically for folks who can't get video through their AVR as in the case of 3D video and a non-3D-capable AVR.

Great. smile.gif


Quote:
Depending on how your TV and AVR implement their HDMI, you may need to physically disconnect the HDMI from the AVR to the TV to get this to work well, or a settings change in the AVR to accomplish much the same thing. The idea is to keep two HDMI paths from coming together again at one point (your TV).

Set Setup > Video Setup > Primary Output to HDMI 1 in the OPPO.
--Bob

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks Bob !!
post #10392 of 11024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post

With your permission, I will try to (easy) explain a little this about the fuse in the audio/video world. This as a conclusion in the last started here (quite stupid) subject. (For those who are interest in this, there is out there a lot of documentation about the fuse in/and audio.)


There is really a clue about the fuse(s), but in the case of BDP95 is not.

A fuse act as an resistor (even as an inductor) and it have a quite important resistance, can even drop the power in a system, or affect the signals paths if is placed wrong (by design). If the fuse is placed in a very beginning stage of a power system (AC path) there is no any problem for the audio/video stages in a device/unit. One have anyway such fuses in a house AC electrical system... If (the bad designer) place the fuse in the DC path of an audio/video device, then the problems occur. Changing that ordinary fuse placed in DC path of a system, with another one will change that enough significant resistance (even inductance) value with another one. For varies reasons a very low resistance/inductance in an DC path alter the signals in quite low frequencies, harmonics and so on, in an AUDIO system, and this have an impact for the outputted sound and for the listener. In a video stage this impact is non-existent.

Placing a fuse in the input AC path do not affect at all the quality of an audio system, but only will protect it. In such case the following DC path of the power will be as clean as technological possible, with the resistances/inductance/capacity of the involved wires, PCB traces or the contact resistance/inductance/capacitance of the connectors/contacts.


In the case of BDP95 the fuse is placed correctly in the AC input path (before the switching/analogue PSUs), so absolutely not any problem occur because of that fuse. There is not any upgrade to be done here!

There are many other and more sophisticated upgrades in many different stages (including power system), which have dramatically (positive) impact for the overall audio/video quality of this player...

You're wrong. Read the reviews. Better yet- spend $50 and see for yourself!
post #10393 of 11024
Is anyone having problems with Netflix? I have had some slight problems before, but it is pretty constant now.

My computer loads fine, but I have had my 95 sit "loading" films for hours - literally, and still never get to Nexflix, it will then freeze so that I have to turn off the 95 to get out of the Netlix loading window. I will start again, and it will do the same thing.
post #10394 of 11024
^ I'm seeing reports of Netflix loading failures on multiple devices recently. This seems to be a popular new way for Netflix server-side problems to manifest on the various Netflix apps out there.

This site is useful to get a feel in real-time for whether folks are reporting Netflix service problems at the moment:

http://downrightnow.com/netflix

--Bob
post #10395 of 11024
^
Thanks. I saved the site for future reference.

I got in contact with Netflix. For anyone else having the same problem, this is what I had to do.

1 - remove Netflix from the Oppo
2 - turn of the modem/router and the Oppo
3 - turn on the modem and wait for full connection
4 - then turn on the Oppo and reconnect the Oppo to Netflix

It worked, but there is still a delay in connecting, (I am at 14mps), and the menu and movie search is still very slow.
post #10396 of 11024
My oppo-95 is frozen at the start page with "oppo" on the front display. none of the RCU buttons works except off and eject..

is there a related problem in this thread i could check? is there also a hard reset for the oppo-95?

thx.
post #10397 of 11024
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiman View Post

My oppo-95 is frozen at the start page with "oppo" on the front display. none of the RCU buttons works except off and eject..

is there a related problem in this thread i could check? is there also a hard reset for the oppo-95?

thx.

Try disconnecting from power for 20 minutes.

-Bill
post #10398 of 11024
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiman View Post

My oppo-95 is frozen at the start page with "oppo" on the front display. none of the RCU buttons works except off and eject..

is there a related problem in this thread i could check? is there also a hard reset for the oppo-95?

thx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Try disconnecting from power for 20 minutes.

-Bill

Also disconnect everything else from the player. Reconnect the power and wait to see if it appears to boot alright. ("no disc" message).
If that works then go ahead and reconnect everything else.
post #10399 of 11024
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrecording View Post

^
Thanks. I saved the site for future reference.

I got in contact with Netflix. For anyone else having the same problem, this is what I had to do.

1 - remove Netflix from the Oppo
2 - turn of the modem/router and the Oppo
3 - turn on the modem and wait for full connection
4 - then turn on the Oppo and reconnect the Oppo to Netflix

It worked, but there is still a delay in connecting, (I am at 14mps), and the menu and movie search is still very slow.

How do you remove Netflix from the Oppo?
post #10400 of 11024
^ You deactivate Netflix in Setup > Device Setup. Basically that deletes its login credentials. The next time you launch Netflix you'll be asked to log in again.
--Bob
post #10401 of 11024
Has anyone else seen a "toothing" issue while playing Prometheus in 3D? There are black lines that are about two inches apart vertically, and four inches wide, and they appear on the right and left edges of the screen (from top to bottom).

Here is the setup:

BDP-95 > (HDMI 1 to 50ft Monoprice Redmere) > JVC RS55 projector.
BDP-95 > (HDMI 2 to 6ft Monoprice) > Onkyo 906.
BDP-95 > (8 RCAs) > Onkyo 906

Onkyo 906 > (5 RCAs ) > Emotiva XPA-5.

Deep Color is off
HDMI 1 is video* only
Firmware is BDP9x-74-0908

This does not happen with 2D Blu-Rays or DVDs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Edited by A_D_A_M - 5/13/13 at 10:48am
post #10402 of 11024
^ Presumably you meant HDMI 1 is *VIDEO* only.

I'm sorry, I don't do 3D, so I don't have an answer for you, except that it wouldn't hurt to send OPPO Tech Support an email asking about this, perhaps with a picture showing the defect.

You mentioned no problem with other 2D Blu-rays and DVDs. Have you tried any other 3D Blu-rays?

You might want to try the Public Beta 0308B firmware:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-95/blu-ray-BDP-95-Support.aspx

--Bob
post #10403 of 11024
Thanks a lot Bob. I will send a picture to Oppo, upload the latest firmware, and test every other 3D disc I have.

[HDMI 1 is indeed *video* only]
post #10404 of 11024
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post


Also disconnect everything else from the player. Reconnect the power and wait to see if it appears to boot alright. ("no disc" message).
If that works then go ahead and reconnect everything else.

It didnt work. Still stucked at the opening page with the "oppo" in the LCD display.
post #10405 of 11024
^ Give OPPO Tech Support a call.
--Bob
post #10406 of 11024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Give OPPO Tech Support a call.
--Bob

They said the player has to be repaired...mad.gif
post #10407 of 11024
^ Oh well. But if this is your first experience dealing with OPPO service, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. They have reasonably priced, flat rate service for out of warranty repairs, and they turn around the repair lickety-split.
--Bob
post #10408 of 11024
Sorry if these questions are asked earlier in the thread. I'm new to this forum and 347 pages is a lot to catch up on.

What is the best way to play hi definition digital music through the BD-95, and what kHz/bit can I use?

I think I should get an external hard drive with eSATA capability. I am just not sure if I need a special type, what file format I need to use, and what types of files will work with the Oppo and iTunes. Or should I get something other than iTunes? Caveat: I only have an iMac.

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide.

Don
post #10409 of 11024
I buy high rez in flac and just don't worry about itunes. You can get a free program called xld which will convert flac to apple lossless for itunes and it will even retain its bit depth and sample rate, but won't play in the oppo. The flac files will do fine on the imac in vlc media player.

What I do:

1) buy in flac 96/24.
2) use a free program called 'burn' to make a DVD audio disc.
3) I use a usb hard drive (flac files) with the oppo or the DVD audio disc. (Alternately I can use a usb device with my denon reciever, 3311ci, which reads 96/24 flac.
4) I do use xld and truncate the flac to 44/16 in apple lossless and put into itunes for producing a cd for the car should I want that.
post #10410 of 11024
Glangford,

Thanks for the reply. I think my NAD 777 will also handle digital music, but I heard the DAC in the Oppo is better. Any thoughts on a good brand for an external?

Don
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread