or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread - Page 6

post #151 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

hee hee

The Marantz SA-11S2 is quite a unit in itself, so I'm not totally surprised here:
http://www.stereophile.com/hirezplay...sacdcd_player/

But I believe the other user said he thought the BDP-95 may have been "as good as his Denon". They'll be a lot more to come

WestCoast,

Thanks for the link. Quite interesting that someone may prefer their Marantz SA-11S2 (MSRP $2,999.00) over the Oppo.


Willie
post #152 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rang View Post

Which Denon are you comparing with?

Couldn't find any mention of a model number elsewhere in this thread.

Good question! I briefly owned a Denon DVD-3800BDCI and have heard a DVD-3930CI and they both sounded quite good, but the only Denon transport that has caught my audio ear is the Denon DVD-5910CI. In my opinion the aforementioned Denons are a step down when compared to the DVD-5910CI. At least that was what my ears were telling me.


Willie
post #153 of 11017
Went over to Oppo again this afternoon. Very helpful and knowledgeable folks.

I now understand why selecting Audio Only on HDMI does not allow the screen to remain and send DSD. There are some screens, such as the Pany they had that have the HDMI always hot and therefore a handshake always occurs and there is risk. A shame.

We also chatted about impressions and I noted that the only thing so far less than satisfactory is CD playback. They asked why. I said "thin". They said, you mean "analytical". Seems like they have heard this before.

The main reason I went over, though, is that wireless will not work/ They asked me to bring my dongle and it worked fine there, even with TKIP as I have set at home after they reconfigured one of their routers to test for me. But, they gave me a new one anyway. Unfortunately, that does not work either. At a loss. 2 Laptops and A Sony monitor and iPhone all have no problem with my router or network, but the Oppo does.

They are considering coming over as I am only 12 minutes away. I have exhausted everything I can possibly think of as the problem. Must be in the Oppo is all I can figure.

Someone asked about what tones I used for bass management levels. First, I am using exclusively analog outs. I use the internal tones in both the Oppo and my Proc, though, of course, they work in different situations on different inputs. The Disney WOW disc also has tones but sub levels there are grossly too loud causing me to back down 6 or 8 dB. The Oppo tones, when raising the sub 10 dB and lowering mains about 5 dB seems to be a very good balance.

For Rang who asked which Denon - DVD-3910.

So, where am I today with the device? Wish the networking worked. Other than that, good unit. I now have to ask myself if the Nuforce hotrodded 93's might have the edge on analog audio, but likely will not have a chance to hear that. And something to be said for Oppo service. Really superb.

It is very good, make no mistake. Video superb. DVD-A best I have heard in my system. SACD similar to the Denon. CD, not yet the way I would like. Blu-ray audio just arrived from Amazon and Mojo - Tom Petty and Crossroads Clapton are OK, but not stunning. I have no reference to whether that is the discs or the player. Will know more as I try more discs. Stop Making Sense cued up for next.

More as I know it.

Ooops, more to reply to:

Yes, entering the password correctly, which starts the Oppo to rry to connect to the network. Then it fails. Every time. Maybe 60 tries in different ways so far.

And as to DVD-A, much better than the Denon DVD-3910 which was not bad and was much better than the Panasonic I had before that. So far, in terms of audio, this is where the Oppo shines most "for me".



~Bob
post #154 of 11017
So the CD playback is "thin" from the RCA output?
post #155 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwhere View Post

So the CD playback is "thin" from the RCA output?

It is for me. I use both the stereo RCA and the 5.1's. The 5.1's sound better, but that is likely because the stereo are redigitized in my proc. Its just not easy to rewire in my system. I use a flashlight and a mirror Otherwise I would hook up the stereo out and remaining 5.1 channels to the 5.1 in on my proc and see if that made any difference. A switchbox would be a wonderful thing to A/B, but not going to happen.

YMMV. Everyone's system is different. And most have bass management set differently. But for me CD is a bit lacking.

My next test for this will be to compare a VERY old DBX studio reference CD player to the Oppo. I have had the DBX likely well over 20 years. I know it has good analog sections, but likely the digital is primative by today's comparison. But I have always been happy with the sound quality of it. So time to dust it off.

~Bob
post #156 of 11017
Anybody else worried about not being able to fit a region free mod in the unit? It would be great if a user could take out the audio board just to see how tight it actually is. For me I will return the unit if there isn't room for the mod.
post #157 of 11017
Thank you Bob, I thought I had set the rears to a smaller speakers but actually turned them off. I'm not sure why anyone would want to turn them off. To me that a odd option.
I will have to put in some different content to test the menus out.

Thanks again!!
post #158 of 11017
My OPPO 95 just arrived late this afternoon. Now I am letting it warm up and break in. Those little men inside have to stretch and practice to carry those many notes very, very quickly!
Kidding aside, the unit is well-built. I like the way the tray opens and closes. From the beginning it's obvious that the video is an improvement over the 83SE. The multi-channel is also improved, especially in clarity (voices are more natural) and bass management.
The 2-channel had me concerned at first. It lacked a bit of body, was a touch edgy, the bass wasn't quite as defined and it seemed to emphasize the upper frequencies. However, now, five hours later, it's starting to sound better than the 83SE. Not so analytical anymore, more musical, but, still retaining a little more detail than the 83SE. It looks like it might be a "keeper". That's it for now. Back to listening!
Sa
post #159 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebop View Post

It is for me. I use both the stereo RCA and the 5.1's. The 5.1's sound better, but that is likely because the stereo are redigitized in my proc. Its just not easy to rewire in my system. I use a flashlight and a mirror Otherwise I would hook up the stereo out and remaining 5.1 channels to the 5.1 in on my proc and see if that made any difference. A switchbox would be a wonderful thing to A/B, but not going to happen.

YMMV. Everyone's system is different. And most have bass management set differently. But for me CD is a bit lacking.

My next test for this will be to compare a VERY old DBX studio reference CD player to the Oppo. I have had the DBX likely well over 20 years. I know it has good analog sections, but likely the digital is primative by today's comparison. But I have always been happy with the sound quality of it. So time to dust it off.

~Bob

I wonder why they didn't mention about break-in when you commented that it sounded thin.
post #160 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikinokie View Post

So far the the 95 has been bested by a Marantz, Accuphase, and a Denon. Sounds pretty much like a 83se. Accurate assessment or apples and oranges?

Did you try the new firmware 2/1 for your 83SE when you did the comparison?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

Any of you early pre-owners compare it yet with Pioneer flagship, BDP-09?

Yes I will compare the two, my 09 is setting in the Chicago land hub of UPS for the last 3 days (had Pioneer replace the BD loader).
My 95 was shipped Monday but who knows when that will show up, we got buried here in Chicago Land.

ss
post #161 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giberson View Post

Thanks for the advice. I always thought the shorter the signal path the better. I purchased a Xindac preamp as an interim device until I found a CAST compatible Krell preamp. There was an appreciable reduction in SQ with the Xindac which is why I have connected the 95 direct to the Krell.

As far as sound quality goes, it sounds remarkable. I have not had the opportunity to hear a lot of front ends on this system so I don't have a lot to compare with. I have an older Marantz transport and Citation 7.0 I tried and the Oppo 95 sounds superior. The Citation and the Xindac both seem to muffle the sound. Sort of analogous to putting cotton in your ears.

I have also compared the 95 to an 83 I use in my theater and an SE I took on trial. The 95 is better resolved than the 83. similar to the SE but smoother than THE SE. Oddly, the soundstage is different. The 95 seems to have a deeper soundstage. Vocals on a couple disks of which I am quite familiar seem to be less up front but crystal clear. The presentation is altogether different than either the 83 or SE. In fact, the soundstage sounded so different, I thought I had hooked the left and right cables in reverse. The dynamics seemed to have changed. Vocals set back, high hat cymbals seem a tiny bit more up front. Instruments seem more isolated as do vocals. For me, I really like the change. Also, the 95 took the edge off my speakers. I have the Krell powering a couple Wlson Watt Puppy 6s.

The 95 loads quick, transport tray seems a bit smoother too. Overall, I am pleased.

Hey Don, looks like we are neighbors as I'm in the Mission District of Fremont. If you have a way to connect an unbalanced input to the Krell, I can bring over the MF A3CR pre-amp, sync up on some common test discs and do some quick a/b comparisons. I can bring this guy too if you want - he's an old one trick pony, but it's still a heck of a trick!

PM me if you're interested

Styln
post #162 of 11017
Connected to my wireless network with out any problems. Apple Extreme!

USB Drives have to be formatted for DOS so if you are a mac user you need to reformat your drives

Love listening to those music FLAC 24 bits96KHZ


What's with the clicking, very annoying Hope they fix that soon
post #163 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Connected to my wireless network with out any problems. Apple Extreme!

USB Drives have to be formatted for DOS so if you are a mac user you need to reformat your drives

Love listening to those music FLAC 24 bits96KHZ


What's with the clicking, very annoying Hope they fix that soon

Does that include MCH FLAC 24/96?!

Styln
post #164 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Did you try the new firmware 2/1 for your 83SE when you did the comparison?
...
ss

Agree, the new FW sounds quite nice on the SE. And MCH system setup on SACD now completes w/o lock-up/reboot. Better streaming support that accommodates higher sample rates (still no 24 bit). An overall improvement for a very fine sounding player: SACD & streaming now together in one release

Thanks Oppo,


Styln
post #165 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by styln View Post

does that include mch flac 24/96?!

Styln

yes up to 24 bit/192
post #166 of 11017
Hi
Can anyone check if the 95 does 24/192 - both music and BR discs?
Over analogue & HDMI?

Thanks
post #167 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

yes up to 24 bit/192

WOW! My wallet jumped right out of my pants pocket!

So that's two out of the three things I need before considering an upgrade from an SE to a 95:

1) 24/96 stereo flac streaming
2) 24/96 MCH flac streaming
3) DLNA control/render support (or similar)

Go Oppo go. Go Oppo go.

Styln
post #168 of 11017
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

USB Drives have to be formatted for DOS so if you are a mac user you need to reformat your drives

Only true if you wanted to use FAT. Not true for anyone who is seriously using external HDD backups, as they will be using NTFS (universally supported by all major operating systems. For Mac use Paragon's NTFS for Mac or NTFS-3G).

Quote:
What's with the clicking, very annoying Hope they fix that soon

No need for the colors, the bold, or the font size. We are capable of reading an entire post without guideposts/markers.

Is this from your FLAC media or another format?

Do you have a file that we can download to replicate your errors?

If you use a different interface, such as digital coaxial/optical or HDMI, do you hear the same noises?
post #169 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Mathus View Post

I tried a Blu-Ray Audio only disc and it failed to play in the OPPO 95...The same thing happened with this disc on the OPPO 93...Disc is NAXOS NBD0008 - Corigliano - Circus Maximus. Does anyone out there have a DVD Audio disc that they can try. I don't think

NAXOS NBD0008 - Corigliano - Circus Maximus (Circvs Maximvs) won't play in my 93, either.
post #170 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelseyhorne View Post

Anybody else worried about not being able to fit a region free mod in the unit? It would be great if a user could take out the audio board just to see how tight it actually is. For me I will return the unit if there isn't room for the mod.

Asked a similar question myself yesterday- no one replied
post #171 of 11017
I compared the quality of the audio output from the balanced (XLR) stereo outputs on the BDP-95 to that of the Benchmark DAC1 HDR.

First, I have to say that the BDP-95 balanced output audio quality is very good, and I would definitely consider it to be in audiophile league. However, the DAC1 HDR sounds better. The sound of the DAC1 is somewhat clearer and more forward. I tried to compensate for volume levels in the comparison, but that's never really easy unless you have an accurate SPL meter (mine isn't great). The DAC1 has significantly more gain than the BDP-95 which makes the comparison a little tricky, but I'm pretty confident about my conclusion.

I also have a Marantz SA-7S1 which I didn't compare directly to the BDP-95, but it sounds somewhat better than the DAC1 in direct comparisons with the DAC1, so it's better than the BDP-95 as well.

Still, I'm very happy with the BDP-95, and think it provides excellent value for the price. It doesn't provide the ultimate in analog sound quality, but it's audiophile-level, and very good for the price.
post #172 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Good question! I briefly owned a Denon DVD-3800BDCI and have heard a DVD-3930CI and they both sounded quite good, but the only Denon transport that has caught my audio ear is the Denon DVD-5910CI. In my opinion the aforementioned Denons are a step down when compared to the DVD-5910CI. At least that was what my ears were telling me

the DVD-5910CI was a flagship Denon player. It had better Burr Brown DAC part No.'s
post #173 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Connected to my wireless network with out any problems. Apple Extreme!

USB Drives have to be formatted for DOS so if you are a mac user you need to reformat your drives

Love listening to those music FLAC 24 bits96KHZ


What's with the clicking, very annoying Hope they fix that soon

I have noticed the clicking also, but the unit is faster at boot-up and going to the various point on the disc. I have noticed that the clicking only happens when the disc goes from one section of the disc to another section.
post #174 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post

I compared the quality of the audio output from the balanced (XLR) stereo outputs on the BDP-95 to that of the Benchmark DAC1 HDR

how are you connecting Benchmark DAC here? digital coax-OUT from BDP-95 into DAC1 HDR, then DAC1 HDR XLR/RCA OUT's into pre-pro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post

Still, I'm very happy with the BDP-95, and think it provides excellent value for the price. It doesn't provide the ultimate in analog sound quality, but it's audiophile-level, and very good for the price.

good to know, thanks for your input
post #175 of 11017
I'm not surprised that the 95 didn't sound great out of the box. My guess is that with more break-in, maybe several hundred hours, it will sound much better. It IS of concern to me that Oppo did not say anything to Rebop about this, however. In fact, just based on what he said, one could infer that Oppo knows the 95 is "analytical" or "thin" compared to other audiophile players. I guess we'll see after more time passes, and we get more reports of what people hear.
post #176 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelseyhorne View Post

Anybody else worried about not being able to fit a region free mod in the unit?

I had emailed bluraychip.dk on Monday to ask if their Oppo BDP-93 multiregion DIY kit would work with the 95. They didn't respond.
post #177 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfz View Post

I'm not surprised that the 95 didn't sound great out of the box. My guess is that with more break-in, maybe several hundred hours, it will sound much better. It IS of concern to me that Oppo did not say anything to Rebop about this, however. In fact, just based on what he said, one could infer that Oppo knows the 95 is "analytical" or "thin" compared to other audiophile players. I guess we'll see after more time passes, and we get more reports of what people hear.

I don't think Oppo should try to defend every negative opinions of their new player.
I also admire Rebop for being honest about the sound. Anyway I am not expecting the 95 to kill CD players costing more. There are enough of such "My Oppo kills a CD player costing 10-20 times more" opinions, which tend to stretch the truth...
post #178 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob pariseau View Post

my gosh, i think that may be a new meet record for the conclusion jump! We'll make a quick check with our statistician. :d
--bob

)
post #179 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post


I don't think Oppo should try to defend every negative opinions of their new player.
I also admire Rebop for being honest about the sound. Anyway I am not expecting the 95 to kill CD players costing more. There are enough of such "My Oppo kills a CD player costing 10-20 times more" opinions, which tend to stretch the truth...

MoSt of this is subjective anyway. Like it or not. I happen to like my se.
post #180 of 11017
ANALYTICAL!! THIN!! I knew it! HAHAHA.. Just kidding guys If this thing sounds as good as or better than my Emotiva ERC-1 cd player I'm all over it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread