or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread - Page 163

post #4861 of 11017
Thread Starter 
Does the file playback fine? Sometimes MKV and other files will not have the proper data information pulled, so the player will not display things like resolution, framerate, or file size.
post #4862 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
Does the file playback fine? Sometimes MKV and other files will not have the proper data information pulled, so the player will not display things like resolution, framerate, or file size.
NO, It doesn't play at all.

This is the fist time I've tried this, basically what I did was to convert an AVCHD Video (.m2ts) to MKV using DVDFAb 8, then I Clicked on the folder until I got to the stream file and that Is what I copied onto the hard drive that I then connected to the Oppo. should I copy the entire folder?
post #4863 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara View Post
NO, It doesn't play at all.

This is the fist time I've tried this, basically what I did was to convert an AVCHD Video (.m2ts) to MKV using DVDFAb 8, then I Clicked on the folder until I got to the stream file and that Is what I copied onto the hard drive that I then connected to the Oppo. should I copy the entire folder?
You need to find a DVDFAb forum for help.

If you're converting to MKV then the result should be an .mkv file, not a folder of "stream" files.

-Bill
post #4864 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
But is it a fair comparison? Aren't the analog inputs digitized by the Smyth?
Yes there is a A/D DAC conversion for analog input.
By using the HDMI out port (LPCM) from the Oppo you are forgoing any D/A conversion from the Oppo and any A/D conversion from Smyth.
So there is only one D/A conversion that is taking place, and that is by my external DAC19 DSP1v5. I like the DAC19 (PCM 1704UK DAC's) because it puts out 2.6V for its analog outs as were the Smyth puts out 1.8V for its analog outs, among other things.

ss
post #4865 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

You need to find a DVDFAb forum for help.

If you're converting to MKV then the result should be an .mkv file, not a folder of "stream" files.

-Bill

Thank you.
post #4866 of 11017
My BDP-95 seems to have developed a distortion on the dedicated stereo lineouts. I have just finished moving and when I setup the player and played a Michael Buble CD, there is definite distortion (same with MC FL/FR outpus). The same CD played back through the same power amplifier using my BDP-83 has no distortion. Lowering the digital audio level on the 95 didn't help. Any ideas? The unit was very well packed in original box when I moved it.
post #4867 of 11017
Analog out users who wish to time align the subwoofer with REW.

Earlier in this thread I ask if someone knew of a way to use REW to time align the subwoofer on the analog outs. I posted the same question on the forum that supports REW (not AVS) and John, the author of REW, gave me some great advice.

First, you want to go to generator amd select "Pink PN". I extended the duration to 131,072. Then select "Save PN to WAV file." I saved the wave file to a tumb drive which I then plugged into the back of the Oppo 95. When you do this, the source menu comes up and you select music.

On REW, you go to "RTA." setup the screen width and settings to your preference. Click the red button in the upper right of the screen and using the remote for the Oppo, select the wave file and press play. Reclick the red button in the RTA window. Then select "save". You can do this altering the distance settings fine tuning it as you go. Then go back to the REW main window and click on the tab "ALL SPL". To make it a little easier, I unplugged the sub for one test just so that I could have a reference point for the speaker only. (By the way, I unplugged the front left speaker and set the mike up a few feet away from the right speaker which sits on top of the subwoofer to help eliminate some of the room effect)

For whatever reason, the difference in measurement(actual distance vs accoustic distance due to latency is different than what I measured on my prepro. That's what I was afraid of as I would have assumed that it would be the same but wanted to find some way of independently verifying it.

So you REW people get busy and give this a try. In my opinion, this did help.

As a side issue, I tried the stereo out reassignment to LF/RF and found something a little off about how it sound (wispy) so I returned it to the regular setup. I'm sure I'll give it another try later.
post #4868 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron77 View Post

My BDP-95 seems to have developed a distortion on the dedicated stereo lineouts. I have just finished moving and when I setup the player and played a Michael Buble CD, there is definite distortion (same with MC FL/FR outpus). The same CD played back through the same power amplifier using my BDP-83 has no distortion. Lowering the digital audio level on the 95 didn't help. Any ideas? The unit was very well packed in original box when I moved it.

Can you connect your analog outs directly to your amp and see if the distortion is still there? Be sure to activate the variable volume control and turn it way down before playing a CD.
post #4869 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron77 View Post

My BDP-95 seems to have developed a distortion on the dedicated stereo lineouts. I have just finished moving and when I setup the player and played a Michael Buble CD, there is definite distortion (same with MC FL/FR outpus). The same CD played back through the same power amplifier using my BDP-83 has no distortion. Lowering the digital audio level on the 95 didn't help. Any ideas? The unit was very well packed in original box when I moved it.

Sounds like you are clipping the inputs of your amp path.

Connect the 95 into the exact same inputs you are using with the 83. I.e., move the wires from the back of the 83 to the back of the 95. If the problem goes away then look for a setting which adjusts the analog input levels on the inputs exhibiting the problem.
--Bob
post #4870 of 11017
I just got my BDP-95, and when I opened it I was quite surprised. This has got to be the most beautifully packaged electronic product I have ever purchased. It is absolutely georgeous. And, the remote looks first class. I purchased this to replace my Sony BDP-S5000ES which will be relegated to the bedroom system. I also wanted to get 5.1 SACD so we will see how it sounds connected to the analog inputs of my Arcam AV9.
post #4871 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

I just got my BDP-95, and when I opened it I was quite surprised. This has got to be the most beautifully packaged electronic product I have ever purchased. It is absolutely georgeous. And, the remote looks first class. I purchased this to replace my Sony BDP-S5000ES which will be relegated to the bedroom system. I also wanted to get 5.1 SACD so we will see how it sounds connected to the analog inputs of my Arcam AV9.

I have the more expensive Arcam FMJ 888 processor and the DACs in the Oppo don't come close to something that high-end. You would not expect them too either considering that is a $7,000 unit compared to DACs in a $1,000 device. If you have expensive equipment, the DACs in your processor will always beat anything else because that is what you paid for, otherwise there would be something badly wrong.

Your Arcam model I have not heard, but I assume it is one of their receiver models. If so, I have heard some of them, just not yours and I can tell you it is no where close to the FMJ 888 model. That model really is heads above anything Arcam has done prior and really surprised me because I was never an Arcam person until then. Having said that, your receiver should be either about the same as or perhaps less than what you would get from the Oppo 95 DACs. Give your Oppo 95 a try using the analog outs as you mentioned and make sure your receiver is passing it like it should. Then you can compare the DACs between the two. Also, don't forget it depends on your source material too and audio quality can vary by Title AND track-to-track depending on the studio recording.

Happy listening and have fun with your testing.
post #4872 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuruJeff View Post

I have the more expensive Arcam FMJ 888 processor and the DACs in the Oppo don't come close to something that high-end.

I disagree.
post #4873 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuruJeff View Post

I have the more expensive Arcam FMJ 888 processor and the DACs in the Oppo don't come close to something that high-end. You would not expect them too either considering that is a $7,000 unit compared to DACs in a $1,000 device. If you have expensive equipment, the DACs in your processor will always beat anything else because that is what you paid for, otherwise there would be something badly wrong.

Have to disagree with this one.

The ESS Sabre32 ES 9018 DAC is the same DAC found in a new $10K McIntosh flagship player...not as many, but the same. I'm not implying the overall AQ will beat those players, but if utilized properly (analog out), the 95 will approach the AQ for a lot less.

Here's a link...http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...eference-Audio
post #4874 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuruJeff View Post

I have the more expensive Arcam FMJ 888 processor and the DACs in the Oppo don't come close to something that high-end. You would not expect them too either considering that is a $7,000 unit compared to DACs in a $1,000 device. If you have expensive equipment, the DACs in your processor will always beat anything else because that is what you paid for, otherwise there would be something badly wrong.

Your Arcam model I have not heard, but I assume it is one of their receiver models. If so, I have heard some of them, just not yours and I can tell you it is no where close to the FMJ 888 model. That model really is heads above anything Arcam has done prior and really surprised me because I was never an Arcam person until then. Having said that, your receiver should be either about the same as or perhaps less than what you would get from the Oppo 95 DACs. Give your Oppo 95 a try using the analog outs as you mentioned and make sure your receiver is passing it like it should. Then you can compare the DACs between the two. Also, don't forget it depends on your source material too and audio quality can vary by Title AND track-to-track depending on the studio recording.

Happy listening and have fun with your testing.

You just ruined my day,
post #4875 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

You just ruined my day,

Don't fret gbaby...the Oppo's analog DACs are arguably one of the best currently available.
post #4876 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Sounds like you are clipping the inputs of your amp path.

Connect the 95 into the exact same inputs you are using with the 83. I.e., move the wires from the back of the 83 to the back of the 95. If the problem goes away then look for a setting which adjusts the analog input levels on the inputs exhibiting the problem.
--Bob

Time to "eat crow" .... in the blitz of moving across our great land (Canada) I forgot that one of the last things I had done in this forum was to comment on some digital-overload. Indeed, I had set the dedicated L/R to FL/FR and had adjusted the FL/FR trims to +7dB! ... so of course that was the problem. Sorry for the false alarm.
However one thing I noticed that with a wireless network connection, my 95 seemed to thing it was "up to date" but it in fact didn't have the latest firmware revision as posted at OPPO. I just installed via usb and it is now really up to date.
post #4877 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I disagree.

You just made my day! I have to add that while I have not powered up this Oppo product, the quality of its appearance has made me proud to be an American because it was designed and made in the USA.
post #4878 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuruJeff View Post


Your Arcam model I have not heard, but I assume it is one of their receiver models. If so, I have heard some of them, just not yours and I can tell you it is no where close to the FMJ 888 model. That model really is heads above anything Arcam has done prior and really surprised me because I was never an Arcam person until then. Having said that, your receiver should be either about the same as or perhaps less than what you would get from the Oppo 95 DACs. Give your Oppo 95 a try using the analog outs as you mentioned and make sure your receiver is passing it like it should. Then you can compare the DACs between the two. Also, don't forget it depends on your source material too and audio quality can vary by Title AND track-to-track depending on the studio recording.

Happy listening and have fun with your testing.

On second thought, if you've never heard of the Arcam AV9 and thought it was a receiver then I don't need to worry.
post #4879 of 11017
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

You just made my day! I have to add that while I have not powered up this Oppo product, the quality of its appearance has made me proud to be an American because it was designed and made in the USA.

I'll put a little rain on your parade. The player is designed and supported in Mountain View, California but all manufacturing and assembling is done in China.
post #4880 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

I'll put a little rain on your parade. The player is designed and supported in Mountain View, California but all manufacturing and assembling is done in China.

After I bragged on us, I thought that perhaps it could be manufactured in Mexico or China. Oh well, at least we know we have the engineers to design a product such as this Oppo.
post #4881 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

You just made my day! I have to add that while I have not powered up this Oppo product, the quality of its appearance has made me proud to be an American because it was designed and made in the USA.

Very few things are like that anymore, except maybe Woo Audio amps .

If you are a road cyclist, you know that those $5,500 Pinarello carbon fiber bike frames are made in - you guessed it - China or Taiwan.
post #4882 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuruJeff View Post

I have the more expensive Arcam FMJ 888 processor and the DACs in the Oppo don't come close to something that high-end. You would not expect them too either considering that is a $7,000 unit compared to DACs in a $1,000 device. If you have expensive equipment, the DACs in your processor will always beat anything else because that is what you paid for, otherwise there would be something badly wrong.

Your Arcam model I have not heard, but I assume it is one of their receiver models. If so, I have heard some of them, just not yours and I can tell you it is no where close to the FMJ 888 model. That model really is heads above anything Arcam has done prior and really surprised me because I was never an Arcam person until then. Having said that, your receiver should be either about the same as or perhaps less than what you would get from the Oppo 95 DACs. Give your Oppo 95 a try using the analog outs as you mentioned and make sure your receiver is passing it like it should. Then you can compare the DACs between the two. Also, don't forget it depends on your source material too and audio quality can vary by Title AND track-to-track depending on the studio recording.

Happy listening and have fun with your testing.

The Arcam AV9 used Wolfson WM8740 DAC's. The Arcam FMJ 888 used Wolfson WM8741 DAC's. The WM8741 is pin compatible with the WM8740. The WM8741 offered some additional flexibility in digital filter response. I doubt there is much difference between the two. Especially if Arcam used the same or similar circuit design which is common for a company to do. I would guess they are more alike than different.
post #4883 of 11017
My initial impression of sonic traits of the analog outs on the Oppo BDP-95 vs. the Sony BDP-S5000ES is that the Oppo is on the warm side of neutral whereas the Sony is on the bright side of neutral. I'm only speaking of the sound of DTS-MA and Dolby Digital HD. My sub which goes down to -3db @ 15Hz is being given quite a bit of a workout with the Oppo. I listened to SACD for about 5 minutes and I am pleased to know that the Oppo outputs DSD through its analog outputs. In any event I need to experiment with the Oppo's crossover frequencies keeping in mind that the Sony has an unknown crossover frequency. But, I can tell already, the Oppo is a keeper.Even when I get the Oppo configured to my liking, you'll have to wait until Kal Rubinson writes his review in the September 2011 edition of Sterophile to know more about this Oppo product. It does, however, feel like I purchased a new processor rather than a new blu-ray player. For now, I can say, it "ain't" going back.
post #4884 of 11017
I'm about to pull the trigger on the Oppo 95
post #4885 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

After I bragged on us, I thought that perhaps it could be manufactured in Mexico or China. Oh well, at least we know we have the engineers to design a product such as this Oppo.

You should visit us here in Silicon Valley. A very large percentage of the engineers in our area are from Taiwan, China, India, Pakistan, the Middle East, and Korea. I think OPPO's brains come from all over the world.

We also have home cooking from all those areas with several more thrown in.
post #4886 of 11017
I don't know. Sonically, I believe I like my Sony ES better. I just listened to the Sony SCD-XA5400ES vs. the Oppo BDP-95 and it was not even close. The Sony simply had a better balanced sound with the mid range and high frequencies sounding much more open and sweeter than the Oppo. Unless I can get the Oppo to match or better the sonic traits of my XA-5400 as well a the S5000ES in the mid range and high frequecies, it may be going back. Right now the only advantage of the Oppo is its ability to play 5.1 SACD whereas my Sony XA-5400ES will only play 2 channel SACD. If someone can give me a recommendation on how to make the Oppo open up more in the midrange to high frequencies, it would be appreciated. Please keep in mind that I have not read the manual.
post #4887 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_visiting View Post

I'm about to pull the trigger on the Oppo 95

You know, Oppo engineering was *THAT CLOSE* to not even INCLUDING a trigger on the Oppo 95....
--Bob
post #4888 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

I don't know. Sonically, I believe I like my Sony ES better. I just listened to the Sony SCD-XA5400ES vs. the Oppo BDP-95 and it was not even close. The Sony simply had a better balanced sound with the mid range and high frequencies sounding much more open and sweeter than the Oppo. Unless I can get the Oppo to match or better the sonic traits of my XA-5400 as well a the S5000ES in the mid range and high frequecies, it may be going back. Right now the only advantage of the Oppo is its ability to play 5.1 SACD whereas my Sony XA-5400ES will only play 2 channel SACD. If someone can give me a recommendation on how to make the Oppo open up more in the midrange to high frequencies, it would be appreciated. Please keep in mind that I have not read the manual.

There are several reports in this thread from folks saying the 95 benefits from a period of break-in. I suggest you give yourself more time with it before reaching a decision.
--Bob
post #4889 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

You know, Oppo engineering was *THAT CLOSE* to not even INCLUDING a trigger on the Oppo 95....

The decision to include a trigger was of course made by an American.
USA USA !
post #4890 of 11017
You can have my Oppo 95 when you pry it loose from my cold, dead, fingers!
--Bob
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread