or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread - Page 204

post #6091 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild wild west View Post

Ed,
I had no luck searching on modwright finding anything about the 95 tube mod so if you happen across it I would appreciate if you would send it to me.

Would you please change your settings to allow me to send you a private message?

Thanks Bob

I think this is the review being referenced. It's rather long but comprehensive:



Modwright BDP-95 personal review.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to invite anyone from the Southwest Michigan area with a stock BD-95 to get together for a back to back shoot out with a number of unbiased listeners for a future review. Until that time, I respectfully submit this solitary review.

Background: I am almost 62 years old, and began a lifetime passion for music in my pre-teens. I became an "Album Oriented Rock" disc jockey in the late 60's and early 70's, won a best DJ of the year award, and mentored some young DJs that went on to major markets. Between promo tickets and working stage crew I attended at least a hundred live concerts at this time in my life, and many more since. I have a BBA from WMU.

Experience: I built a Heathkit receiver in my college years. It was pretty noisy and far from audiophile, but it was the beginning of my first system Which included a Harman Kardon linear tracking turntable, Dahlquist DQ 10 speakers with active crossover and an externally amplified DQ 1W sub-woofer, with Yamaha and Harman Kardon Amps. This system was stolen. My next system included an AR tube preamp, Linn Sondek LP 12 turn table, Dynavector ruby cantilever moving coil cartridge, and bi-amped Magnepan speakers. This system was stolen. I then got into photography with the insurance money and didn't get back into Hi Fi until the 90's when multi-channel theater was in its infancy.

Today: This system morphed into a flagship Denon 5803 receiver with ERS paper insulating the toroidal transformer, and two 7.1 external inputs with trimming capability, B&W 805 top of the line bookshelf speakers on three fronts with Bybee Quantum purifiers on the + post of each driver, with Mirage filling out the 7.1 system with the surrounds modified to tone down the tweeters maintaining 8 ohm impedance (switchable), and a flagship Paradigm Servo 15 sub-woofer. I have an X-can V2 headphone amp with gonzo PS, caps mod, ALPS blue velvet volume control, Sennheiser HD 600 headphones, a Samsung LN40A650A1F LCD TV, and of course the Oppo BDP-95 with Modwright tube mod on the dedicated stereo outs, SS mod on the 7.1 outs, The special Modwright umbilical, and the vacuum tube rectified PS (5AR7 nos tubes),for particulars see the Modwright site, a Monster HTS-3500 MkII Power conditioner with the dual Auricap .47uf 600v AC mod at the input. I have a dedicated 20 amp circuit to the power conditioner and a separate dedicated 20 amp circuit to the sub. My power cords are VH Audio Flavor 4 with the exception of the Oppo which sports a JPS labs digital power cord. My speakers are wired with 14 gauge double run pure copper. Interconnects are DIY unbleached cotton insulated 28 AWG .9999 pure silver wire, with Eichmann Silver Bullet Plugs.

Review: After much tube rolling, I settled on ShuGuang 50years TREASURE CV181-Z Tubes. My next favorite are the "Full Music 6SN7" also sold under the name "Sophia 6SN7, all made in China. Go figure. I owned the Oppo for about a month before shipping it to Modwright. My impressions of the stock unit were mostly positive, in fact it blew away my previous Denon 5900 Universal player. Much more detailed through out. The only negatives were a slight touch of graininess on the very top end of vocals and a somewhat rigid overall character to the sound, almost too precise. I would not call the sound thin, because it has a very tight and deep bass character. I probably could have been happy with the stock unit after some more break in time to the unit and me. However six weeks down the road and about 2k out the door, I was rewarded with a player that simply let the music through. Red book CDs are not quite the fidelity of vinyl, but the HD discs are superb. I thought I would be a little disappointed with the solid state part of the mod, but I was wrong. The SS Multi-Channel rocks. I had a friend listen to the last 13 minutes of the SACD 5.1 version of Moody Blues, "Threshold of a Dream". When it finished playing, there was a moment of silence then "wow". I couldn't add anything to that. This SACD is truly an immersive experience. For basic Red Book I chose Big brother and the Holding Company with Janis Joplin on vocals. Stand outs are "Summertime", "Piece of my Heart", and "Ball and Chain". The emotions really come through and Janis was all about an emotional personal connection with her audience. Me being an audience of one, made the connection. I was totally lost in the music. Listening to music is my form of meditation. For DVD-Audio I chose the Doors L.A. Woman disc. "Riders of the Storm" put me in a trance-like state. Vocals were uncolored and natural, like being there, Of particular note is the ethereal quality of the organ. Jim is truly a poet vocalist albeit a lugubrious one. For a concert video, I highly recommend Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense" Blu-Ray. There are a number of audio choices on this disc. I highly recommend the DTS-HD Master Audio Studio Mix (You may need to turn the bass down a little, but it is second to none for quality). Another disc of note is The Beatles "Love" DVD-Audio. In the high impact "A Day in the Life" there is a walking bass riff that I do not remember being there (Actually this bass riff is in "Hey Jude"). Perhaps it's the fine definition of instrumentation and black space character of a fine source unit or maybe it is the particular character of the deep tight bass native to this player, but whatever it is, it's 3 grand well spent, and however much a person sinks into a system, the old adage "Garbage in Garbage out" holds true. No garbage here.
post #6092 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild wild west View Post

I am about to pull the trigger on a 95. I am considering getting the Modwright tube upgrade (at $1750) for it. Has anyone heard this mod on the 95? Your thoughts? If you haven't heard the Oppo 95 tube upgrade, Modwright has done similar tube mods on other CD players, your thoughts on these?
Thanks for your help with this.

The tube mod is for dedicated stereo out only. If you love multichannel audio get the SS multichannel also. I believe it's $500.00. I am quite satisfied with my Modwright Oppo BDP-95 with stereo tube mod and the multichannel. It makes movies sound fantastic too. Best wishes. The thing I notice most is the absence of electronic hash. Vocals (when well recorded) just sound natural in MC and stereo.
post #6093 of 11017
Hi, BIG ED,

Thanks for taking the time to read the post. We were there to listen to music so we made no attempt at comparisons other than using different digital media sources from which we made general observations.

Under "76 degree-big deal here" Seattle skies, Gill


Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post

PugetsoundHD,
Which sources did you compare it too?
Thanks for the review.
post #6094 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbod View Post

The tube mod is for dedicated stereo out only. If you love multichannel audio get the SS multichannel also. I believe it's $500.00. I am quite satisfied with my Modwright Oppo BDP-95 with stereo tube mod and the multichannel. It makes movies sound fantastic too. Best wishes. The thing I notice most is the absence of electronic hash. Vocals (when well recorded) just sound natural in MC and stereo.

No hash to start with on my 95! How many hours on it before you modded it?
post #6095 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Appierto View Post

I think this is the review being referenced. It's rather long but comprehensive:



Modwright BDP-95 personal review.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to invite anyone from the Southwest Michigan area with a stock BD-95 to get together for a back to back shoot out with a number of unbiased listeners for a future review. Until that time, I respectfully submit this solitary review.

Background: I am almost 62 years old, and began a lifetime passion for music in my pre-teens. I became an "Album Oriented Rock" disc jockey in the late 60's and early 70's, won a best DJ of the year award, and mentored some young DJs that went on to major markets. Between promo tickets and working stage crew I attended at least a hundred live concerts at this time in my life, and many more since. I have a BBA from WMU.

Experience: I built a Heathkit receiver in my college years. It was pretty noisy and far from audiophile, but it was the beginning of my first system Which included a Harman Kardon linear tracking turntable, Dahlquist DQ 10 speakers with active crossover and an externally amplified DQ 1W sub-woofer, with Yamaha and Harman Kardon Amps. This system was stolen. My next system included an AR tube preamp, Linn Sondek LP 12 turn table, Dynavector ruby cantilever moving coil cartridge, and bi-amped Magnepan speakers. This system was stolen. I then got into photography with the insurance money and didn't get back into Hi Fi until the 90's when multi-channel theater was in its infancy.

Today: This system morphed into a flagship Denon 5803 receiver with ERS paper insulating the toroidal transformer, and two 7.1 external inputs with trimming capability, B&W 805 top of the line bookshelf speakers on three fronts with Bybee Quantum purifiers on the + post of each driver, with Mirage filling out the 7.1 system with the surrounds modified to tone down the tweeters maintaining 8 ohm impedance (switchable), and a flagship Paradigm Servo 15 sub-woofer. I have an X-can V2 headphone amp with gonzo PS, caps mod, ALPS blue velvet volume control, Sennheiser HD 600 headphones, a Samsung LN40A650A1F LCD TV, and of course the Oppo BDP-95 with Modwright tube mod on the dedicated stereo outs, SS mod on the 7.1 outs, The special Modwright umbilical, and the vacuum tube rectified PS (5AR7 nos tubes),for particulars see the Modwright site, a Monster HTS-3500 MkII Power conditioner with the dual Auricap .47uf 600v AC mod at the input. I have a dedicated 20 amp circuit to the power conditioner and a separate dedicated 20 amp circuit to the sub. My power cords are VH Audio Flavor 4 with the exception of the Oppo which sports a JPS labs digital power cord. My speakers are wired with 14 gauge double run pure copper. Interconnects are DIY unbleached cotton insulated 28 AWG .9999 pure silver wire, with Eichmann Silver Bullet Plugs.

Review: After much tube rolling, I settled on ShuGuang 50years TREASURE CV181-Z Tubes. My next favorite are the "Full Music 6SN7" also sold under the name "Sophia 6SN7, all made in China. Go figure. I owned the Oppo for about a month before shipping it to Modwright. My impressions of the stock unit were mostly positive, in fact it blew away my previous Denon 5900 Universal player. Much more detailed through out. The only negatives were a slight touch of graininess on the very top end of vocals and a somewhat rigid overall character to the sound, almost too precise. I would not call the sound thin, because it has a very tight and deep bass character. I probably could have been happy with the stock unit after some more break in time to the unit and me. However six weeks down the road and about 2k out the door, I was rewarded with a player that simply let the music through. Red book CDs are not quite the fidelity of vinyl, but the HD discs are superb. I thought I would be a little disappointed with the solid state part of the mod, but I was wrong. The SS Multi-Channel rocks. I had a friend listen to the last 13 minutes of the SACD 5.1 version of Moody Blues, "Threshold of a Dream". When it finished playing, there was a moment of silence then "wow". I couldn't add anything to that. This SACD is truly an immersive experience. For basic Red Book I chose Big brother and the Holding Company with Janis Joplin on vocals. Stand outs are "Summertime", "Piece of my Heart", and "Ball and Chain". The emotions really come through and Janis was all about an emotional personal connection with her audience. Me being an audience of one, made the connection. I was totally lost in the music. Listening to music is my form of meditation. For DVD-Audio I chose the Doors L.A. Woman disc. "Riders of the Storm" put me in a trance-like state. Vocals were uncolored and natural, like being there, Of particular note is the ethereal quality of the organ. Jim is truly a poet vocalist albeit a lugubrious one. For a concert video, I highly recommend Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense" Blu-Ray. There are a number of audio choices on this disc. I highly recommend the DTS-HD Master Audio Studio Mix (You may need to turn the bass down a little, but it is second to none for quality). Another disc of note is The Beatles "Love" DVD-Audio. In the high impact "A Day in the Life" there is a walking bass riff that I do not remember being there (Actually this bass riff is in "Hey Jude"). Perhaps it's the fine definition of instrumentation and black space character of a fine source unit or maybe it is the particular character of the deep tight bass native to this player, but whatever it is, it's 3 grand well spent, and however much a person sinks into a system, the old adage "Garbage in Garbage out" holds true. No garbage here.

I enjoyed reading your review. I like your style. In fact, my past almost mirrors yours.
post #6096 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild wild west View Post

Ed,
Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out. Do you know when you will be getting your 95 with the tube mod? Have you listened to a non modded 95? I'd be very interested in your take on the M/W version.
Unfortunately I'm located in Washington state so I can't get to Denver to listen to the M/W.
Thanks again, Bob

Dude (I'm from Cali), their in Amboy, WA!!!
Go see Dan yourself!
He's got my 95 & an un-mod'ed Oppo 95 sitting in your state right now.

My 95 will be a demo unit in Denver. I'll get it like a week after the show, maybe.
Many people will see/hear it (including my GF in CO) B4 I do.
Them the brakes for "demo discounts".

Welcome too the forum.
post #6097 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbod View Post

The tube mod is for dedicated stereo out only. If you love multichannel audio get the SS multichannel also. I believe it's $500.00. I am quite satisfied with my Modwright Oppo BDP-95 with stereo tube mod and the multichannel. It makes movies sound fantastic too. Best wishes. The thing I notice most is the absence of electronic hash. Vocals (when well recorded) just sound natural in MC and stereo.

The SS MCH mod is $500US w/the TM; $1000US alone.
BIG thanks for the review! Did you listen pre-mod? Did you allow for break-in B4 sending it in?

I'm from the sixties & was poor, so "hash" means a lot of good things too me!
post #6098 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugetsoundHD View Post

Hi, BIG ED,

Thanks for taking the time to read the post. We were there to listen to music so we made no attempt at comparisons other than using different digital media sources from which we made general observations.

Under "76 degree-big deal here" Seattle skies, Gill

You did mention value at specific price point, so that's why I asked.
Your in Washington as well, home of ModWright.
You should have Dan stop by sometime and join the group.

Enjoy the Indian Summer; as we are down here in the East Bay Area as well!
post #6099 of 11017
Hello.
I have a question regarding the -95,my unit runs very very warm on the bottom chassi especially in the aft right corner (bottom chassi) is this "normal"?? the unit is spaced up so heat radiation from receiver is not the case,what is it that creates that heat/whats mounted inside the unit aft/right corner?? thx in advance // Nick
post #6100 of 11017
Mine does that too, I consider it normal, and the justification for the fan.
post #6101 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by T( )( )L View Post

Hello.
I have a question regarding the -95,my unit runs very very warm on the bottom chassi especially in the aft right corner (bottom chassi) is this "normal"?? the unit is spaced up so heat radiation from receiver is not the case,what is it that creates that heat/whats mounted inside the unit aft/right corner?? thx in advance // Nick

Looking at the picture of the inside of the unit, the warmth you feel is likely due to the heat generated by the SoC and video processor building up and getting trapped under the high quality analog output board. The Oppo BDP-93's lesser quality analog output board is about 1/3rd the size of the BDP-95's, thus the heat can more freely disperse throughout the unit in the BDP-93; this is likely why the BDP-95 has a fan to exhaust heat and the BDP-93 does not need one.
post #6102 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

Looking at the picture of the inside of the unit, the warmth you feel is likely due to the heat generated by the SoC and video processor building up and getting trapped under the high quality analog output board. The Oppo BDP-93's lesser quality analog output board is about 1/3rd the size of the BDP-95's, thus the heat can more freely disperse throughout the unit in the BDP-93; this is likely why the BDP-95 has a fan to exhaust heat and the BDP-93 does not need one.

Both players utilize the bottom plate for dissipating heat. For this reason, one should not remove the player's feet or otherwise limit the air space under the player. But the hot bottom plate is by design, not to worry.
post #6103 of 11017
Hey there,
I've been reading this thread for a couple of months and finally took the plunge. I have an Emotiva CD player, DAC and amp (as well as Paradigm Signature 6 speakers) at present, and after reading that others on the Emotiva forum with the same equipment noticed a sizable increase in SQ with the 95, I thought that I'd try it out.

It's almost a little intimidating reading about all of the set up advice given and the hard drive/file options available. I think I'll go back to page 100 of this thread and take notes! But thanks to those who've taken the time to post and have gone through things so us later adopters don't have to.
post #6104 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

Hey there,
I've been reading this thread for a couple of months and finally took the plunge. I have an Emotiva CD player, DAC and amp (as well as Paradigm Signature 6 speakers) at present, and after reading that others on the Emotiva forum with the same equipment noticed a sizable increase in SQ with the 95, I thought that I'd try it out.

It's almost a little intimidating reading about all of the set up advice given and the hard drive/file options available. I think I'll go back to page 100 of this thread and take notes! But thanks to those who've taken the time to post and have gone through things so us later adopters don't have to.

Right back at you As I got the most from my Pioneer 51fd from a lot of your grunt work! Although I posted only 2 or 3 times on the massive thread I lurked and learned much!
post #6105 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

Hey there,
I've been reading this thread for a couple of months and finally took the plunge. I have an Emotiva CD player, DAC and amp (as well as Paradigm Signature 6 speakers) at present, and after reading that others on the Emotiva forum with the same equipment noticed a sizable increase in SQ with the 95, I thought that I'd try it out.

It's almost a little intimidating reading about all of the set up advice given and the hard drive/file options available. I think I'll go back to page 100 of this thread and take notes! But thanks to those who've taken the time to post and have gone through things so us later adopters don't have to.

Congrats. As a fellow Emotiv'er, I can vouch that the 95 works extremely well with the UMC-1 through the 7.1 ch analog input (in Direct mode). Also built around the 95, are custom built speakers driven by the XPA-5. The result is a "giant killer" system that rivals most at a substantial savings. Feel free to PM me with set-up questions.
post #6106 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron77 View Post

I'm not an expert in headphones. My Sennheiser HD598 comes with a 3 m (~ 10') cable. Probably twice this length would not be a problem with cable capacitance loading effects at high frequencies (I haven't measured or tested longer cables).
Here is a useful introductory headphone faq which is worth a read. There is a linked article in there somewhere comparing specs of many headphones. Note the first question in the Miscellaneous section: "Can I use the output of a preamplifier to drive headphones directly". I can't recommend any other phones. The HD598 fit my budget and my ears

As part of my personal wish list for the next OPPO player, and in the spirit of "stacked" electronics (as in the stacked DAC approach in the 95), maybe the next model will have "stacked LM4562 output opamps for headphone output" to deliver exceptional and sufficient audio output levels to almost ANY type of headphones. Remember that the passive circuit I propose can only provide sufficient audio volume for mid-impedance (~ 50ohm) and high-sensitivity modern headphones.

To add a bit to this, my 50ohm HD-598 phones have a sensitivity of 112 dB SPL (1kHz/1Vrms) which translates to an efficiency of 99 dBSPL/mW. So any phones with Z ~ 40-60ohm and with this efficiency will work well using the divider circuit mentioned above.

What about higher end phones such as the Sennheiser HD-650 or HD-800? These are both 300 ohm and with much lower sensitivity of 102 dB SPL (1kHZ/1Vrms). However the higher phone-impedance works in our favour. With a 300 ohm series resistor (in series with each L/R channel), we can get the same high listening level as with the HD-598 phones above. (In this case, the total load on the output opamps is safely at > 600 ohm). With the BDP83/95 max output level of 2Vrms, the divider provides 1Vrms at the phones resulting in an audio level (at max. digital volume of the player) of 102 dB SPL, sufficient for most listening tastes.
post #6107 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

The Oppo BDP-95 is a Blu-ray player. If you just wanted 2ch audio, you can buy a good CD player. But this is a Blu-ray player, hence the thought is likely Blu-rays will be played on it.

So, likely the person buying this player likes both music and movies.

If you really like movies, you likely will want to see them in the way originally intended by the director. And, many movies these days - like Avatar for instance - are shot in 3-D and intended to be seen that way. So much like one would want to see a movie in OAR, one may also want to see the movie in the director's intended dimension.

Myself, I am very concerned with the 3-D performance, and it happens to be outstanding; the TV size setting appears to improve 3-D images. But I may be unique, I have my setup with two preamps, one analog and the other digital, which are switched between 3 power amps. For music I use the full analog audio route post DAC, for movies I use HDMI. My setup is an excellent hybrid for both high quality music & movies.

The funny thing is that this may be the equal of (or better than) just about any $1000 dedicated music player currently available ! Many SACD/CD players can't playback CDs anywhere near as well as the Oppo 95. I don't know how many people believe it these days but 2ch SACD is absolutely "hi-rez" also & some of us "Audio Dinosaurs" are'nt convinced that surround sound music is necessary for hi-end music enjoyment . I have'nt yet heard a surround music system that approaches some of the 2ch systems I've heard.
post #6108 of 11017
^^^^^
+1
post #6109 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by newStevea View Post

The funny thing is that this may be the equal of (or better than) just about any $1000 dedicated music player currently available ! Many SACD/CD players can't playback CDs anywhere near as well as the Oppo 95. I don't know how many people believe it these days but 2ch SACD is absolutely "hi-rez" also & some of us "Audio Dinosaurs" are'nt convinced that surround sound music is necessary for hi-end music enjoyment . I have'nt yet heard a surround music system that approaches some of the 2ch systems I've heard.

I'll see your thousand and raise you two 2 channel and multi each are to be respected on their own terms! I've always used the set it up for stereo playback first and multi/ theater will sound fantastic as well, having said that I still find my self listening to 2 channel 80% of the time

Best of both worlds!
post #6110 of 11017
More releases like the Pink Floyd "Immersion" BD releases will make the 95 an even more significant player & an even better value!
post #6111 of 11017
I also thought about modding the Oppo 95. There is the temptation, that could the modded equipment be (much) better. I noticed that oppo 95 can be connected via XLRs to poweramp. I tried that directly to my 7 channel nuforce SE (ver 3.01) and was amazed how a good cd can sound. It might be better with well done mod, but now I could guess, why nuforce team cancelled the 95 mod project.

So it is also worth testing oppo 95 directly via XLRs to your poweramp, use volume control in oppo remote.
post #6112 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_HT View Post

I also thought about modding the Oppo 95. There is the temptation, that could the modded equipment be (much) better. I noticed that oppo 95 can be connected via XLRs to poweramp. I tried that directly to my 7 channel nuforce SE (ver 3.01) and was amazed how a good cd can sound. It might be better with well done mod, but now I could guess, why nuforce team cancelled the 95 mod project.

So it is also worth testing oppo 95 directly via XLRs to your poweramp, use volume control in oppo remote.

I am running mine in stereo directly to my mono block tube amp's via the RCA connections. The sound is incredible.

I am hoping to connect it to a Butler Audio TBD-5150, 5 channel amp to test the sound in 5.0 sometime this week.

If it goes through I will post the results.
post #6113 of 11017
Add another notch on the 95's belt.
Pre-amp!
post #6114 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

....
having said that I still find my self listening to 2 channel 80% of the time

Best of both worlds!

and for those who use the dedicated stereo outs for stereo listening and use HDMI to receiver for MC listening (and say NOT the MC analog out), if your MC analog outs aren't used, why not use the FL/FR MC outs for superb headphone stereo listening using the simple circuit mentioned above? If you are in the Ottawa area and have great phones you want to audition with a 95 using one of these simple adapter boxes, pm me ...
post #6115 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron77 View Post

and for those who use the dedicated stereo outs for stereo listening and use HDMI to receiver for MC listening (and say NOT the MC analog out), if your MC analog outs aren't used, why not use the FL/FR MC outs for superb headphone stereo listening using the simple circuit mentioned above? If you are in the Ottawa area and have great phones you want to audition with a 95 using one of these simple adapter boxes, pm me ...

Thanks a lot neutron77 for your headphone box info/schematic, I asked a local game shop to make one for me, listen through it with my Sony EX85LP - 105db/mv & 16 Ohm, very good sound, loud enough for most CD. May upgrade to Etymotic Research ER-4 (x) - if ER4X is efficient enough for your box. Thanks again.
P.S. I will post the image of my box - very well made, when I allow to.
post #6116 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm120525 View Post

Thanks a lot neutron77 for your headphone box info/schematic, I asked a local game shop to make one for me, listen through it with my Sony EX85LP - 105db/mv & 16 Ohm, very good sound, loud enough for most CD. May upgrade to Etymotic Research ER-4 (x) - if ER4X is efficient enough for your box. Thanks again.
P.S. I will post the image of my box - very well made, when I allow to.

I think that's 105 dB/mW which translates into 123 dB (1Vrms) for 16 ohms which as with most compact earbuds these days is really high. If you used the 1kohm voltage divider as in the diagram, you are getting about 92 dB SPL volume (for full volume content from the OPPO). You can up the listening level to 98 dB SPL by replacing the 1kohm resistor with 500 ohms (useful for material recorded at lower levels). If you audition really great headphones (you will be amazed at the difference), bring your box and OPPO along with your favorite CD/SACD/DVD-A and see how great the OPPO sounds directly into phones (with adapter circut).
I will be adding a simple conversion script (sensitivity to efficiency etc.) in that web page shortly.
Here's another adapter box, this one with 1/4 stereo jack for the phones:
post #6117 of 11017
anyone here made their player region free yet.
post #6118 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

No hash to start with on my 95!

I agree.
post #6119 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post

Add another notch on the 95's belt.
Pre-amp!

I've had some B&K issues and hooked the Oppo directly to my 2 channel and 5 channel amps using the volume control on the Oppo with pretty good results. I'll do this until I can decide what to do for a different HT preamp.
post #6120 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm120525 View Post

Thanks a lot neutron77 for your headphone box info/schematic, I asked a local game shop to make one for me, listen through it with my Sony EX85LP - 105db/mv & 16 Ohm, very good sound, loud enough for most CD. May upgrade to Etymotic Research ER-4 (x) - if ER4X is efficient enough for your box. Thanks again.
P.S. I will post the image of my box - very well made, when I allow to.

I've got the ER-4s and love them...you just have to wear them properly (fully inserted into the ear canal) to get the full bass. I had to purchase the small bud tips to wear them comfortably and to get them all the way in, but once you find the sweet spot, they're terrific. I usually use some Dennon D-2000 at home and ER-4s for the I-Pod, but they sound great hooked up to the 95/HP amp.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread