or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread - Page 304

post #9091 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Go to the rear of the Oppo and swap the L/R audio cables, so they are reversed. Now do the A/B compare of CDs between analog and optical. Report back.
^^^ +1
post #9092 of 11017
Remote working weird.
The remote suddenly acts weird, the volume + - doesn't respond. I have replaced the batteries and it didn't fix it. The strange thing is that if I power the Oppo off and then back on the volume works from the remote but then it stops working after a while. I have to keep turning it off for the volume to work from the remote, other functions seem fine. Any clue? eek.gif
post #9093 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Lots of electronic gear gives off a bit of an odor when they're new. I always called it the "settling down" period. If it doesn't go away after a couple of days I'd get concerned. Otherwise, enjoy your new toy!

Thank you smile.gif but that's just the problem. It's not new. I've had this player since December, with a brief exception of two weeks at Oppo to replace the loader. It has never smelled this strongly before. The smell has persisted for several days now, but it was strong for a couple of days, now it has diminished somewhat. The player works, but I wonder if I should open the case and check if something is visibly fried in there. What would be the prime suspect?
post #9094 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindra View Post

Remote working weird.
The remote suddenly acts weird, the volume + - doesn't respond. I have replaced the batteries and it didn't fix it. The strange thing is that if I power the Oppo off and then back on the volume works from the remote but then it stops working after a while. I have to keep turning it off for the volume to work from the remote, other functions seem fine. Any clue? eek.gif

I am experiencing the same issue with my 83SE which i reported about recently on the 83 thread. i have now stopped using the volume control on the remote. I even tried reinnstalling the firmware, erase persistant storage etc.
post #9095 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by manoharshetty9 View Post

I am experiencing the same issue with my 83SE which i reported about recently on the 83 thread. i have now stopped using the volume control on the remote. I even tried reinnstalling the firmware, erase persistant storage etc.

I have written directly to Oppo's support about this fact. I'll let you know their answer. To me it is an important issue because I am using the BDP with no preamp and there is no other way to control the volume but the remote. Please post if you find a solution. Thank you.
post #9096 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post


You will still need a DLNA server with access to the playlist files, but I know that the 3 media servers I use most (MediaMonkey, Foobar & Twonky) will recognize m3u playlists created by other programs which can then be served to the Oppo by the media server.


Need some help here,
I'm trying to stream dts movies through a lan cable.
Neither playstation media server nor orb caster works for the oppo 95.
playstation media server does stream dts to my ps3 however.
Anyone know of a DLNA server that will stream dts to the oppo 95?
Big thanks in advance.
post #9097 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by manoharshetty9 View Post

I am experiencing the same issue with my 83SE which i reported about recently on the 83 thread. i have now stopped using the volume control on the remote. I even tried reinnstalling the firmware, erase persistant storage etc.
I too had a problem with the remote to my 83SE. I simply e-mailed Oppo support, told them the problem and tried the few suggestions they e-mailed back to me. I then sent another e-mail describing the fact that their solutions didn't fix the problem and they sent me a new remote free of charge which included the shipping.

Oppo customer service rocks!smile.gif
post #9098 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonalex View Post

Thank you smile.gif but that's just the problem. It's not new. I've had this player since December, with a brief exception of two weeks at Oppo to replace the loader. It has never smelled this strongly before. The smell has persisted for several days now, but it was strong for a couple of days, now it has diminished somewhat. The player works, but I wonder if I should open the case and check if something is visibly fried in there. What would be the prime suspect?

Take first a look at the capacitors in the analogue PSU, (right hand front side - opposite side of the Rotel transformer). Confirm if is not any leak fluid around those Elna caps, or the top of those caps are not inflated/deformed. Else turn ON the player with the cover removed and try to detect the area the smell come out from...
Edited by Coris - 6/22/12 at 8:55am
post #9099 of 11017
Ethernet vs. Wireless

I was wondering if anyone has experimented with the wireless connection of their 95 to a router versus the ethernet connection. Specifically, did you notice any picture quality differences in Netflix, for example. Or when playing music from one your networked devices through the 95, was one better sounding than the other?

I've been using the wireless connection for Netflix and for accessing music files on both my Olive O3HD and my laptop but was wondering if going through the ethernet connection might have some advantages.

Thanks in advance.
post #9100 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Appierto View Post

Ethernet vs. Wireless
I was wondering if anyone has experimented with the wireless connection of their 95 to a router versus the ethernet connection. Specifically, did you notice any picture quality differences in Netflix, for example. Or when playing music from one your networked devices through the 95, was one better sounding than the other?
I've been using the wireless connection for Netflix and for accessing music files on both my Olive O3HD and my laptop but was wondering if going through the ethernet connection might have some advantages.
Thanks in advance.
I use Wifi all the time with my 93. (Apple Airport device as the base station.) No problems.

If your Wifi has good signal strength (Setup > Network Setup > Connection Information) and is not subject to interference from devices in your house or your neighbors' (e.g., badly shielded microwave ovens) then the Wifi connection is capable of plenty of speed for things like Netflix.

Presuming the speed of the connection is adequate, what's being transferred over Wifi or Ethernet is a file -- the same file in either case -- so there can't be a quality difference. I.e., it's not really audio or video yet, as it still has to be interpreted/decoded from its file format.
--Bob
post #9101 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

I use Wifi all the time with my 93. (Apple Airport device as the base station.) No problems.
If your Wifi has good signal strength (Setup > Network Setup > Connection Information) and is not subject to interference from devices in your house or your neighbors' (e.g., badly shielded microwave ovens) then the Wifi connection is capable of plenty of speed for things like Netflix.
Presuming the speed of the connection is adequate, what's being transferred over Wifi or Ethernet is a file -- the same file in either case -- so there can't be a quality difference. I.e., it's not really audio or video yet, as it still has to be interpreted/decoded from its file format.
--Bob

Thank you, Bob, for your response. The inveterate tweaker in me was wondering. The sound quality on the audio files via the Wifi has been very good and the Netflix picture quality is variable even at their "Best Quality" setting but I think that's Netflix, itself.

Thanks again.
post #9102 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonalex View Post

Thank you smile.gif but that's just the problem. It's not new. I've had this player since December, with a brief exception of two weeks at Oppo to replace the loader. It has never smelled this strongly before. The smell has persisted for several days now, but it was strong for a couple of days, now it has diminished somewhat. The player works, but I wonder if I should open the case and check if something is visibly fried in there. What would be the prime suspect?

Fan burning out?
post #9103 of 11017
I m in the same situation with my 95 , I made the supplier and OPPO aware of the 'burning smell" and neither have heard of this issue before,
they suggested that I monitor the player and return it , for a closer look if I wanted to. I have also noticed that sometimes the disk I have been playing ,
has the same smell.It seems to be more noticeable when the fan is running.

Thanks
post #9104 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbking View Post

I m in the same situation with my 95 , I made the supplier and OPPO aware of the 'burning smell" and neither have heard of this issue before,
they suggested that I monitor the player and return it , for a closer look if I wanted to. I have also noticed that sometimes the disk I have been playing ,
has the same smell.It seems to be more noticeable when the fan is running.
Thanks

Very interesting. I also smell it either when the fan is running or when I eject the tray. It is I guess logical as either action facilitates the movement of air from inside the player into the room.
I am not positive, but I have a feeling that it only happens when I play physical discs, not files over DLNA. My wife smells it also, so I am not hallucinating. I plan to open the case and sniff inside, but am holding off for a few days to see if it either goes away or the player craps out altogether. Let's watch if any more stinkers come forward wink.gif
post #9105 of 11017
Thats very strange because my 95 smells no dfferent then my pre/pro or amps. It just has that new typical smell that ive learned to like over the years that all my new gear has had.
post #9106 of 11017
I recently have been having an issue when opening the the tray with a disc running that at times it will be spinning in the tray. I now press stop and open the the draw, The percentage of the action was about 2% of the the time. Started about 10 months from purchase. Other than this so far nothing else.
post #9107 of 11017
I've got a couple questions that are so tech-ignorant that they'll probably make some eyes roll, but I'd really appreciate any thoughts. I've been contemplating getting a Mac Mini to use as a music server and feeding it to a Wyred 4 Sound DAC (neither purchased yet), but I'm also going to pick up a 95 in the next week or so. I was going to have an external drive hooked up to the Oppo for video files, but I thought it would be kind of silly to have one external drive hooked up to the Mini for music, and another connected to the Oppo for music. My question is, could I connect the Mini to the Oppo and use the Oppo for music playback? Can its DACs hand 192/24 files

Any thoughts about configuration would be great. Thanks!
post #9108 of 11017
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by screener View Post

I recently have been having an issue when opening the the tray with a disc running that at times it will be spinning in the tray. I now press stop and open the the draw, The percentage of the action was about 2% of the the time. Started about 10 months from purchase. Other than this so far nothing else.

Try re-updating the MCU only as the MCU portion of the firmware may be degrading.
post #9109 of 11017
Is there a way to unmount USB drives?
I have three USB drives connected using a hub and they work fine, however I don't like to have them powered on all the time, consuming and adding heat, can I just power them down while the BDP is on or do I have to turn the BDP off and the unplug the drives? Is there a way to unmount them with the BDP running?
Thank you.
post #9110 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindra View Post

Is there a way to unmount USB drives?
I have three USB drives connected using a hub and they work fine, however I don't like to have them powered on all the time, consuming and adding heat, can I just power them down while the BDP is on or do I have to turn the BDP off and the unplug the drives? Is there a way to unmount them with the BDP running?
Thank you.
USB is hot pluggable, so just unplug them or turn them off.
post #9111 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by win200 View Post

I've got a couple questions that are so tech-ignorant that they'll probably make some eyes roll, but I'd really appreciate any thoughts. I've been contemplating getting a Mac Mini to use as a music server and feeding it to a Wyred 4 Sound DAC (neither purchased yet), but I'm also going to pick up a 95 in the next week or so. I was going to have an external drive hooked up to the Oppo for video files, but I thought it would be kind of silly to have one external drive hooked up to the Mini for music, and another connected to the Oppo for music. My question is, could I connect the Mini to the Oppo and use the Oppo for music playback? Can its DACs hand 192/24 files
Any thoughts about configuration would be great. Thanks!

As long as you have a DLNA server running on the MAC Mini you can. The Oppo DACs can handle 192/24 files just fine.
post #9112 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonalex View Post

Very interesting. I also smell it either when the fan is running or when I eject the tray. It is I guess logical as either action facilitates the movement of air from inside the player into the room.
I am not positive, but I have a feeling that it only happens when I play physical discs, not files over DLNA. My wife smells it also, so I am not hallucinating. I plan to open the case and sniff inside, but am holding off for a few days to see if it either goes away or the player craps out altogether. Let's watch if any more stinkers come forward wink.gif




If any new equipment smells for more than 2 days, there's a problem.
post #9113 of 11017
Will Oppo 95 work good with Ayon Spirit III ??

I currently use a Denon AVR-2311 to listen to music and watch movies from my Oppo-95.

However, as Oppo can do all the decoding of current audio formats of BD-disks, I suppose it can play
movies audio via RCA (and video path by direct HDMI to TV, as it does now) and also I could gain on CD/SACD disks audio quality by using the tube amp of Ayon Spirit III.
I try to get a better powering to my B&W 805 D monitors, which is the reason of my idea for that tube amp.

Do anyone of you guys have an experience in such a configuration ??
post #9114 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jack_ View Post

Will Oppo 95 work good with Ayon Spirit III ??
I currently use a Denon AVR-2311 to listen to music and watch movies from my Oppo-95.
However, as Oppo can do all the decoding of current audio formats of BD-disks, I suppose it can play
movies audio via RCA (and video path by direct HDMI to TV, as it does now) and also I could gain on CD/SACD disks audio quality by using the tube amp of Ayon Spirit III.
I try to get a better powering to my B&W 805 D monitors, which is the reason of my idea for that tube amp.
Do anyone of you guys have an experience in such a configuration ??



I use the analog outputs of my 95 with my Primaluna tube amp. It works great. HDMI is connected to a Denon 4308. It also works great. You should have no problems. Anything specific you want to know?
post #9115 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jack_ View Post

Will Oppo 95 work good with Ayon Spirit III ??
I currently use a Denon AVR-2311 to listen to music and watch movies from my Oppo-95.
However, as Oppo can do all the decoding of current audio formats of BD-disks, I suppose it can play
movies audio via RCA (and video path by direct HDMI to TV, as it does now) and also I could gain on CD/SACD disks audio quality by using the tube amp of Ayon Spirit III.
I try to get a better powering to my B&W 805 D monitors, which is the reason of my idea for that tube amp.
Do anyone of you guys have an experience in such a configuration ??

I have my Oppo hooked up in multiple ways. All outputs are active so it allows that. I have hdmi 1 to the TV direct, occasionally my wife and I watch movies with just the tv audio. I have hdmi 2 to the reciever for ausio when required. The dedicated stereo outs feed a headphone amp, and the fr/fl stereo outs feed the reciever for two channel audio in pure direct form. I love having all the flexibility.
post #9116 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

USB is hot pluggable, so just unplug them or turn them off.
Aren't USB drives supposed to be unmounted or ejected before disconecting them? I always thought not doing so could damage the drive. Thank you.
post #9117 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindra View Post

Aren't USB drives supposed to be unmounted or ejected before disconecting them? I always thought not doing so could damage the drive. Thank you.

Its not the best idea. I don't know how to eject them from a bdp other than shutting it off, unlike a computer where you can 'eject' them.
post #9118 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindra View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

USB is hot pluggable, so just unplug them or turn them off.
Aren't USB drives supposed to be unmounted or ejected before disconecting them? I always thought not doing so could damage the drive. Thank you.

The drives are read-only on the player. No harm in removing them. If you were writing to them it would be a different story: you should unmount them and wait for the buffers to flush.

-Bill
post #9119 of 11017
^ The exception to that being if the drive is formatted as FAT, *AND* you have specified to use that drive as external Persistent Storage. In that case the drive IS written to when playing Blu-ray discs. To be safe, power down the player before unplugging the drive in that case.
--Bob
post #9120 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

I use the analog outputs of my 95 with my Primaluna tube amp. It works great. HDMI is connected to a Denon 4308. It also works great. You should have no problems. Anything specific you want to know?
First, I wanted to know about how Oppo goes sonicaly together with a tube amp.
Second, I I just leave the RCA-outs (dedicated stereo audio outs) from Oppo to the tube amp (that has no HDMI), will the Oppo decode all the current audio codecs and downmix
it to stereo and then send it to the amp that will play the full audio via my stereo monitors (and none of the for ex. 5.1 parts will vanish).
I play music currently via the dedicated RCAs assigned as FL/FR + a sub connected to the current Denon amp, but movies go via HDMI-1 and are downmixed to stereo+sub on the Denon
(I will not keep the Denon amp, as I do not have enough place in my rack and have no other options to keep the Denon for the movies elsewhere in the setup).
Third, will I have to forget the sub-woofer if I will exchange Denon with a tube amp, that has no sub-outs ??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread