or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread - Page 324

post #9691 of 11017
^^ Of course this only works because my computer/computer screen are permanently located in the same room, and because my PC lcd screen has two video inputs and can switch between them.
post #9692 of 11017
Quote:
Typical possibilities are that you are using Wifi and have a faulty Wifi dongle -- OPPO can get you a replacement. To check that hook up an Ethernet cable and see if the problem goes away.

Or you might have out of date firmware in your Internet modem (or, less likely, in your home network router). If you have an older DSL Internet modem this is actually quite likely. If you check with your ISP they will probably swap out your existing DSL modem with a more modern unit at no charge. (What happens is that they update firmware at their end, but don't update customers' home equipment until they get a complaint.)

None of that is it, though.

The connection is just fine - I can download firmware updates without issue, my other devices have no problem with the same router, and I usually can get it to play as long as Pandora is the first thing I do after turning on the power; it never works if I try to listen after I finish playing a disc. eek.gif

It's done this since I first got it so I've always been amazed others haven't had Pandora issues here.
Edited by kucharsk - 10/5/12 at 3:07pm
post #9693 of 11017
^ kucharsk

You are not alone. I have the same issue with Pandora not working after playing a disc as well. Just never bother me enough to post here or contact Oppo. Like you, I also thought others don't have this issue since I never saw any post about it until yours. smile.gif

I will submit a report to Oppo this weekend.

Stanley
post #9694 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

None of that is it, though.

The connection is just fine - I can download firmware updates without issue, my other devices have no problem with the same router, and I usually can get it to play as long as Pandora is the first thing I do after turning on the power; it never works if I try to listen after I finish playing a disc. eek.gif

It's done this since I first got it so I've always been amazed others haven't had Pandora issues here.

I've confirmed this problem with the Pandora app. There is a known problem with the YouTube app in both the current "official" firmware and also the current "public Beta" firmware, and it looks like Pandora app is suffering the same failure. To wit:

If you try to run Pandora or YouTube after playing a Blu-ray disc with audio set to Secondary Audio ON and HDMI Audio LPCM, then the app will freeze when it attempts to output audio. Furthermore, once in this state the app will no longer exit cleanly to Home Menu. You have to use the Power Off Failsafe to recover (i.e., press Power once on the remote or on the front panel and wait patiently for about 10 seconds for the failsafe timer to kick in and shut down the player).

The workaround is either:

1) Set audio to Secondary Audio OFF and HDMI Audio Bitstream before playing any discs, OR

2) Power cycle the player after playing a disc and before starting YouTube or Pandora.

I'll make sure OPPO Engineering learns that these two problems are related.
--Bob
post #9695 of 11017
^

There is another workaround I found this morning:
After playing a disc, I played some music via DLNA. I was able to run Pandora after that.

And yes, I do have Secondary Audio ON and HDMI Audio LPCM.

Thanx Bob for confirming this issue.

Stanley
post #9696 of 11017
I am considering the Oppo 95 but want to know what it will actually buy me. My main setup consists of Kef Reference 205/2 and 202/2c with an Integra 80.3 prepro. For music I usually just connect my IPod Classic where most of my music is Apple Lossless from primarily Redbook CDs, i.e. WAV. The 80.3 does a good job as it bypasses the IPod DAC and does the conversion. My music choices are Alternative, Pop, Classic Rock and some Eclectic type rock. I have an Apple TV but found that to be a step below. I have looked for high rez recordings of my type music and don't find much if any.

What would I gain? The only thing I would guess is two channel using the 95's DAC and going Direct on the Integra. Is there more that I am not aware or would it just be a high end BluRay player and an occasional SACD?
post #9697 of 11017
Thread Starter 
I personally would recommend using the BDP-103 and using HDMI for audio.
post #9698 of 11017
Hi Bob i fan ser you have anthem d2v and bdp 95.?
I have the same setup also latest se in both of them and i try to get3d material working without succeding. I tried to set the hdmi 1 in passthru etc etc no picture. Any ideas?
If i connected the bdp direct to My projector all work fine.
post #9699 of 11017
^ I replied to your PM.
--Bob
post #9700 of 11017
Hi bob
I cant send more private pm today is there another way to get in contact to you?
I have tried 2 diifrent sources and i dont get picture from any of them in passthru mode even if i try std 2d mode screen end up black?
Is there a way to check that i realy have the new hardware within my new d2v? I had it 2 month ago.
Any idea.?
post #9701 of 11017
^ If you have the new hardware in your D2v, and the proper firmware installed. It will say "D2v 3D" in the Front Panel Display as it powers up, and also when you press the Select button after it powers up. If it just says "D2v" then either the new hardware is not installed or the firmware needs to be re-installed to initialize it.

As I said in the PM, double check that you are using the Main (upper) HDMI output on the D2v. Through mode will not work on the lower HDMI output.

Make sure you are using one of the upper row of HDMI inputs, as Through mode will not work on the lower row of inputs.

Focus on getting Through mode to work for 2D source content as that has to work before you can expect the 3D stuff to work.

Set the OPPO to a "simple" signal for your display to handle. For example, try 1080i output Resolution (with Color Space YCbCr 4:4:4 and Deep Color OFF) from the OPPO as any HDTV has to be able to handle that. Get 2D Through mode working with that then try 1080p and 3D again.

If you have *ANY OTHER* things in the HDMI path from Source to Display -- adapters, switchers, wall plates, Darblet, video processors, ANYTHING -- temporarily remove or bypass those and try Through mode again.

Also try the other 3 HDMI Inputs on that top row.
--Bob
Edited by Bob Pariseau - 10/7/12 at 5:21am
post #9702 of 11017
Hi
Ok then it seems like the harware is uppgraded in my anthem also.
I have the bdp connected to hdmi1. And my satelite reciver to hdmi 2. The projector to hdmi 1 out
Then i set hdmi1 to passthru the screen get black also tried hdmi2 same result for the satelite reciver.
Intresting thing is when hdmi1 is in passthru and i restart my oppo bdp 95 i have the oppo startup logo but then after approx5 sec the screen goes black no way to get picture i passthru mode..?
post #9703 of 11017
^ Try different output Resolutions, Color Space, and Deep Color choices in the OPPO. When you DON'T use Through mode, then what is being sent to your Projector is defined by what's in the Video Output Configuration in the Anthem. When you DO use Through mode, what's sent to the Projector is defined by the output settings in the player (and your satellite box).

It sounds like your Projector is rejecting the video format the OPPO and your satellite box are sending it, so start by trying to duplicate in the OPPO's output settings the settings you already know work in the Anthem when not using Through.

The "simplest" video output settings for the OPPO will be 480p (not 480i) with YCbCr 4:4:4 and Deep Color OFF. Also check the TV System setting -- particularly if you are using a European style, PAL format projector.

If you can't make it work for 2D content at 480p, get back on the phone with Anthem tech support as odds are your Anthem needs service.
--Bob
post #9704 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

I personally would recommend using the BDP-103 and using HDMI for audio.

Thanks for your recommendation. smile.gif. Can you send SACD via HDMI?
post #9705 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

I personally would recommend using the BDP-103 and using HDMI for audio.

Thanks for your recommendation. smile.gif. Can you send SACD via HDMI?

Yes. As HDMI LPCM 88.2KHz 24-bit, or as HDMI DSD if connected to an AVR that can accept that. Both stereo and multi-channel SACD playback are supported this way.

IMPORTANT NOTE: HDMI DSD output is only available on the HDMI 2 output jack of the BDP-103. If you use the HDMI 1 jack you will get HDMI LPCM output during SACD playback. If you want to use HDMI 1 as your normal connection to the AVR (the usual, recommended path), but also want the option of doing HDMI DSD playback, then connect HDMI 2 as well to a 2nd input on your AVR. When playing an SACD, switch your AVR to that input fed from HDMI 2 -- the HDMI 1 connection will be unused during that. For normal viewing use the input from HDMI 1 -- the HDMI 2 connection will be unused during that.
--Bob
Edited by Bob Pariseau - 10/7/12 at 6:35am
post #9706 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Yes. As HDMI LPCM 88.2KHz 24-bit, or as HDMI DSD if connected to an AVR that can accept that. Both stereo and multi-channel SACD playback are supported this way.
IMPORTANT NOTE: HDMI DSD output is only available on the HDMI 2 output jack of the BDP-103. If you use the HDMI 1 jack you will get HDMI LPCM output during SACD playback. If you want to use HDMI 1 as your normal connection to the AVR (the usual, recommended path), but also want the option of doing HDMI DSD playback, then connect HDMI 2 as well to a 2nd input on your AVR. When playing an SACD, switch your AVR to that input fed from HDMI 2 -- the HDMI 1 connection will be unused during that. For normal viewing use the input from HDMI 1 -- the HDMI 2 connection will be unused during that.
--Bob

Bob, thank you. Would you recommend the 103 also for my use?
post #9707 of 11017
Hi
Now i spend some hours on this and ended up trying to connect my anthem d2v 3d and the oppo 95 to my samsung 60" led tv to see if it works there and yes everything works 100% passthru 2d and 3d works perfect!
So it looks like the problem is in the projector a sony vw90es maybe software update? Ocr does somebody know some good settings in this machine?
post #9708 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicBdp View Post

Hi
Now i spend some hours on this and ended up trying to connect my anthem d2v 3d and the oppo 95 to my samsung 60" led tv to see if it works there and yes everything works 100% passthru 2d and 3d works perfect!
So it looks like the problem is in the projector a sony vw90es maybe software update? Ocr does somebody know some good settings in this machine?

Your best bet would be to go to the projector's forum here and ask in the owner's thread for your model. If it's a firmware problem with the projector, you can't be the first person to have run into it.

Also, get back to Anthem Tech Support and let them know that it looks like the problem is specific to you projector and see if they have any history on that projector that might suggest some things to try.
--Bob
post #9709 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

Bob, thank you. Would you recommend the 103 also for my use?

Never bet against a recommendation from Neuromancer! biggrin.gif

I too would lean towards the 103 instead of the 95 for your stated uses. If you think you might want to get serious about trying Analog audio IN THE FUTURE, then you might want to hold off a bit and get a 105, rather than getting a 95 now and then being tempted to sell it and upgrade to the 105 so soon.
--Bob
post #9710 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Never bet against a recommendation from Neuromancer! biggrin.gif
I too would lean towards the 103 instead of the 95 for your stated uses. If you think you might want to get serious about trying Analog audio IN THE FUTURE, then you might want to hold off a bit and get a 105, rather than getting a 95 now and then being tempted to sell it and upgrade to the 105 so soon.
--Bob

Thank you! smile.gif
post #9711 of 11017
I applied the dvd region free mod to my 95. I put in the disc, after loading it almost immediately was spit out. The sequence was, insert disc, 95 loading, tray open. Did it take? I had read that on the 95 you had to manually eject the disc. The region 2 disc I ordered won't be here until later in the weekend for me to test.

Also, will I need to reapply it after a firmware update?
post #9712 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

I applied the dvd region free mod to my 95. I put in the disc, after loading it almost immediately was spit out. The sequence was, insert disc, 95 loading, tray open. Did it take? I had read that on the 95 you had to manually eject the disc. The region 2 disc I ordered won't be here until later in the weekend for me to test.

Also, will I need to reapply it after a firmware update?

The free SuperDisc mod? Yes, that's how it operates. If you mount the disc on a computer you'll see it's a tiny amount of data.

Reinstalling after firmware updates: it's possible so certainly keep the disc on hand, but I can't remember the last time I had to do it, and I install every new firmware.

-Bill
post #9713 of 11017
I was playing with the deep color setting and wanted to see what 36 bit would do and now I can't get a picture at all. Not even to see the menu to change it back. Is there a hard reset on this thing?
Thanks.
post #9714 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post

I was playing with the deep color setting and wanted to see what 36 bit would do and now I can't get a picture at all. Not even to see the menu to change it back. Is there a hard reset on this thing?
Thanks.

See this item from the FAQ (linked at the top of the first post of this thread):

http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-93-faq.html#are-there-any-hidden-features

Press and hold the Display button on the remote for about 10-15 seconds and the video output settings will be returned to factory defaults.
--Bob
post #9715 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post

I was playing with the deep color setting and wanted to see what 36 bit would do and now I can't get a picture at all. Not even to see the menu to change it back. Is there a hard reset on this thing?
Thanks.

Try this: Pressing the Display button for 10 or 15 seconds will reset the Video Setup options when you release the button. This includes the HDMI Options but not the Picture Adjustment settings. This is handy if you've accidentally made a change (Color Space, for example) that your display does not accept.

-Bill
post #9716 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Try this: Pressing the Display button for 10 or 15 seconds will reset the Video Setup options when you release the button. This includes the HDMI Options but not the Picture Adjustment settings. This is handy if you've accidentally made a change (Color Space, for example) that your display does not accept.
-Bill

Thanks but that doesn't seem to be working. Should I be in the service menu when I do that? I tried it on the Home Menu and service menu and it didn't work.
post #9717 of 11017
^ Give OPPO Tech Support a call and they can walk you through this. Are you sure you didn't simply have the HDMI cable come loose at either end?
--Bob
post #9718 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

The free SuperDisc mod? Yes, that's how it operates. If you mount the disc on a computer you'll see it's a tiny amount of data.
Reinstalling after firmware updates: it's possible so certainly keep the disc on hand, but I can't remember the last time I had to do it, and I install every new firmware.
-Bill


Yea, the superdisc mod. I saw the tiny amount of data, about 12k total in three executable files. I was just concerned because one user on the website for the download reported that for the 95 it worked, but required you to manually eject the disc so I was surprised when it auto ejected. I'll find out for sure later this week when the region 2 disc I bought arrives.

Now if I understand the oppo also converts the PAL format to NSTC format for display on a LCD?
post #9719 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Try this: Pressing the Display button for 10 or 15 seconds will reset the Video Setup options when you release the button. This includes the HDMI Options but not the Picture Adjustment settings. This is handy if you've accidentally made a change (Color Space, for example) that your display does not accept.
-Bill

Thanks but that doesn't seem to be working. Should I be in the service menu when I do that? I tried it on the Home Menu and service menu and it didn't work.

Not sure.

Did you modify the HDMI2 deep color setting too? If not, you could temporarily shift the cable from HDMI1 to 2 and get the Setup menu. Or try Composite or Component cables.

-Bill
post #9720 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Give OPPO Tech Support a call and they can walk you through this. Are you sure you didn't simply have the HDMI cable come loose at either end?
--Bob

Yes. I am sure. Thank you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread