or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread - Page 334

post #9991 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by keefy6 View Post

So the only way I can hear menu sounds on a BD is selecting yes for secondary audio. But in doing so the sound is mixed and you lose lossless audio?

Wtf? The Anthem read DTS even when DD or DD Tru HD is selected. Is there another way? PS3 plays both fine

Sure. Use LPCM output just as the PS3 does when playing Secondary Audio.

To mix Secondary Audio, the primary audio track has to be decoded (just as is the case for LPCM output), then the Secondary Audio gets mixed in. Then if you've set Bitstream output, the mixed result has to be RE-encoded back into a Bitstream for output. No consumer device has the horsepower to encode a lossless track on the fly. In the case of the OPPO 95, it uses "full bit rate" (1536Kbps) DTS 5.1 for the re-encode.

If you use LPCM output, no such re-encode is needed and so you get the full quality of the decoded primary track -- with the Secondary audio mixed in when present.
--Bob
post #9992 of 11017
OPPO is now offering "refurbished" BDP-95 units on their web site at a modest discount

http://www.oppodigital.com/products.asp

These come with the same warranty originally offered on new units. If you are interested, down't dawdle, because history shows OPPO's refurbished player offerings get snapped up in a twinkling.
--Bob
post #9993 of 11017
Here's the actual link for the refurb: http://www.oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ZBDP95

That's a huge bargain compared to a new 105.
post #9994 of 11017
Just pulled the trigger on the refurbished 95. The discount is not so modest. I saved over $350 compared to buying a new 95 unit from Crutchfield.
Thanks for the alert guys!
post #9995 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1115 View Post

Just pulled the trigger on the refurbished 95. The discount is not so modest. I saved over $350 compared to buying a new 95 unit from Crutchfield.
Thanks for the alert guys!

How is this not so modest discount? You save $350 and it has same warranty as purchased new.confused.gif Crutchfield also has a "scratch & dent" for $858.49.biggrin.gif
post #9996 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

How is this not so modest discount? You save $350 and it has same warranty as purchased new.confused.gif Crutchfield also has a "scratch & dent" for $858.49.biggrin.gif
A modest discount would be a small discount. A "not so modest" discount would be a very generous discount, so when he said it was a "not so modest" discount, he meant it was a really good deal...
post #9997 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

How is this not so modest discount? You save $350 and it has same warranty as purchased new.confused.gif Crutchfield also has a "scratch & dent" for $858.49.biggrin.gif
"Not so modest" can also mean more than modest. I think this was the poster's intention.
post #9998 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

How is this not so modest discount? You save $350 and it has same warranty as purchased new.confused.gif Crutchfield also has a "scratch & dent" for $858.49.biggrin.gif

I was referring to Bob's post No. 9993: "OPPO is now offering "refurbished" BDP-95 units on their web site at a modest discount".

My point was that at a savings of a little over $350 (figuring delivery cost to San Juan, PR) vs. the Crutchfield price/delivery), the discount he sees as "modest" is not so modest for me. In fact, it is very generous, assuming that a refurbished unit from Oppo will work and look like new. My experience with refurbs, in general, has been pretty good so far.

Oxford English Dictionary:
modest: (of an amount, rate, or level) relatively moderate, limited, or small.

Je pourrais tout de même m'exprimer en français si ça vous convient le mieux!... O también en español si así lo prefieren... tongue.gif
post #9999 of 11017
Is it possible to get DTS HD MA and other high resolution audio when playing MKVs (via PC or via locally attached USB drive)? I can stream ISOs from the PC and get the hi-res audio, but not with MKV. (I am only using the analog RCA outputs)
post #10000 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drem View Post

Is it possible to get DTS HD MA and other high resolution audio when playing MKVs (via PC or via locally attached USB drive)? I can stream ISOs from the PC and get the hi-res audio, but not with MKV. (I am only using the analog RCA outputs)

No, not in MKV on the -93/95. It does work on the -103/105.

Hidef audio does work in M2TS files and AVCHD directories.

-Bill
post #10001 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post

"Not so modest" can also mean more than modest. I think this was the poster's intention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

A modest discount would be a small discount. A "not so modest" discount would be a very generous discount, so when he said it was a "not so modest" discount, he meant it was a really good deal...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1115 View Post

I was referring to Bob's post No. 9993: "OPPO is now offering "refurbished" BDP-95 units on their web site at a modest discount".
My point was that at a savings of a little over $350 (figuring delivery cost to San Juan, PR) vs. the Crutchfield price/delivery), the discount he sees as "modest" is not so modest for me. In fact, it is very generous, assuming that a refurbished unit from Oppo will work and look like new. My experience with refurbs, in general, has been pretty good so far.
Oxford English Dictionary:
modest: (of an amount, rate, or level) relatively moderate, limited, or small.
Je pourrais tout de même m'exprimer en français si ça vous convient le mieux!... O también en español si así lo prefieren... tongue.gif

My apology I took the statement literally, I do understand the OP sentiment.biggrin.gif
Edited by bakerwi - 12/23/12 at 6:10am
post #10002 of 11017
Has anyone noticed a sizable difference between DTS and DD bass output? It could be coincidence, but for some time I've noticed quite a difference between bass tracks in movies (including some that didn't have much bass despite being highy rated for it). It seems like the DD tracks are weaker and DTS is better. I'm not talking about the differences between recordings, it seems more drastic. I've rearranged my room somewhat and don;t have things set up totally yet, so I know there are bass issues with the frquency response not being flat, and it could be that one movie plays bass in a null while another hits the reinforced frequencies, but there does seem to be a pattern with DD being weaker. For example I watched the Shrek series (DD) and got next to no bass, it seems like the LFE channel isn't even working although I've verified it is on, just very weak output even by the sub.

Despite the odd, ridiculous question I'm not a noobie, been an audio enthusiast for years (bought the Golds new in 1990) and I do know the basics for setting things up properly, this just seems like an odd situation that makes no sense to me.

I'm running all analog directly to amps/sub. Hsu vtf-3Mk2, Bryston 3b ST amps, PSB stratus Gold mains. 14x18x8 room with sub in rear corner, extension mode because that gives flatest response.

Main thing I'm wondering is, is it possible that DD is being decoded differently, and will setting things up (volume balancing) for DTS or DD etc do all other formats the same?
post #10003 of 11017
A number of people have said for years that DTS soundtracks are routinely created with the bass boosted. This was definitely true back in the laserdisc and early DVD days and was repeatedly shown by measurements. I don't know if this is still the case but it may well be.
post #10004 of 11017
Has anyone tried the Oppo Media Control for the Oppo 95 (experimental)?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oppo.oremote

We could not find comments or reviews related to that. We will be able to install that only in a week.


Happy new year.

Marcos

Q.J.A
post #10005 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtavares View Post

Has anyone tried the Oppo Media Control for the Oppo 95 (experimental)?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oppo.oremote
We could not find comments or reviews related to that. We will be able to install that only in a week.
Happy new year.
Marcos
Q.J.A



I'm using it on my iPad. It's nice, and removes the need to turn on the TV (for audio related stuff) but unfortunately it won't boot up the 95 using the power button on the app, so you still need the remote anyway. YMMV may vary using Android.
post #10006 of 11017
Much to my surprise, both New AND Refurbished BDP-95 units have re-appeared on the OPPO Digital store page. I would imagine the quantities must be limited, so if you are interested don't dawdle:

http://www.oppodigital.com/products.asp

--Bob
post #10007 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

I'm using it on my iPad. It's nice, and removes the need to turn on the TV (for audio related stuff) but unfortunately it won't boot up the 95 using the power button on the app, so you still need the remote anyway. YMMV may vary using Android.

Ti-triodes, thanks by your response.

I am using the oppo remote also, but we were interested to know about the new Media remote application (experimental) that Oppo has just implemented for the Oppo 93/95. Up to this moment, it is only available for the Android devices. Take a look at the Oppo 95 support page.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-95/blu-ray-BDP-95-Support.aspx

About the Oppo remote application we considered that better than the real remote. The response with this application is much faster. The only downside is what you mentioned: We can not turn it on.

Marcos

Q.J.A
Edited by mtavares - 12/31/12 at 11:48am
post #10008 of 11017
Hi,

I have installed the last firmware (Oct. 17th 2012) but I still have Some glitches:

- There is no way to get connected to internet. I already tested every configuration even manual ones. After setup, the Oppo recognizes perfectly the network (wifi) but it does not work.

- Randomly when a press stop o pause, the Oppo gets freeze and the only way to Take control again is shutting it down.

To be 100% sure the hardware is not malfunctioning, is There any way to REINSTALL the same firmware?

Any advise?

The Oppo is connected through an Audioquest NRG-5 to an Chang Powerline filter on dedicated outlets

Thank You,

Jorge
post #10009 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by joarfeve View Post

Hi,

I have installed the last firmware (Oct. 17th 2012) but I still have Some glitches:

- There is no way to get connected to internet. I already tested every configuration even manual ones. After setup, the Oppo recognizes perfectly the network (wifi) but it does not work.

- Randomly when a press stop o pause, the Oppo gets freeze and the only way to Take control again is shutting it down.

To be 100% sure the hardware is not malfunctioning, is There any way to REINSTALL the same firmware?

Any advise?

The Oppo is connected through an Audioquest NRG-5 to an Chang Powerline filter on dedicated outlets

Thank You,

Jorge

You can reinstall the firmware via USB or optical disc. I think that would be a good idea in this case.

Also do a Reset Factory Defaults.

-Bill
post #10010 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtavares View Post

Ti-triodes, thanks by your response.
I am using the oppo remote also, but we were interested to know about the new Media remote application (experimental) that Oppo has just implemented for the Oppo 93/95. Up to this moment, it is only available for the Android devices. That a look at the Oppo 95 support page.
http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-95/blu-ray-BDP-95-Support.aspx
About the Oppo remote application we considered that better than the real remote. The response with this application is much faster. The only downside is what you mentioned: We can not turn it on.
Marcos
Q.J.A

As far as Multimedia control is concerned, is there an Ipad app that would do like Airplay with the oppo-95? i would like to have a nice GUI on the ipad that would show all of my movie/music/photos, then would be playable thru the oppo. I suppose that all of the
medias would be on a computer server.

is there such a thing?
post #10011 of 11017
Thread Starter 
There is none because the player does not support bi-directional feedback, so it can't take advantage of DLNA DMR commands.

In the future OPPO plans on releasing the Media Control that is currently available on the Android Play store, but they do not know when this may occur.
post #10012 of 11017

Question about playing HD Tracks downloads thru USB

So I have downloaded several selections from HD Tracks. I dragged the FLAC files to a USB drive and connected the drive to my 95 which recognizes the files.

Many of the downloaded albums playback as muffled and partly cloudy. This is a big disappointment to me.

However the Beatles USB "Apple" sounds wonderful.

Is this problem inherent in HDTrack playback? Or is there something that I don't know?
post #10013 of 11017
I have several hd tracks downloads. They sound just fine on my bpd-95. There must be something wrong. Check all your settings.

You might try burning them to dvd-audio. I use Burn for osx. It produces dvd audio discs from flac. Its free as well, another plus!
post #10014 of 11017
Thanks -- I will try this method!
post #10015 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRinDenver View Post

So I have downloaded several selections from HD Tracks. I dragged the FLAC files to a USB drive and connected the drive to my 95 which recognizes the files.

Many of the downloaded albums playback as muffled and partly cloudy. This is a big disappointment to me.

However the Beatles USB "Apple" sounds wonderful.

Is this problem inherent in HDTrack playback? Or is there something that I don't know?

In the past, OPPO has been in contact with HD Tracks regarding some files with faulty encoding, however those where cases where the files would not play rather than muffled audio.

Shoot OPPO Tech Support an email with the details of what's happening and which purchased tracks are involved and they can check it out.
--Bob
post #10016 of 11017
On another note concerning flac files from HD tracks. I have also played them from usb to my denon 3311ci and its usb port. It accepts files up to 96/24. They have always been flawless.
post #10017 of 11017
Hi,

After experienced the Oppo Media Control (Android version) in the last days, we are very pleased with it. We know that it is a experimental version, but it works very well. It is very integrated to the Oppo remote control application.

The navigation and selection of music, videos and photos are much easier and faster than using the remote control. We are using it with the Asset UPnP and Tversity DLNA programs.

During this period, we had to reset the Oppo 95 once, when we tried to commute from the two DLNA programs. Other than that it has been working properly.

A point to improve is that it should allow the presentation of the additional music information (type, images, ...) when available. We expect that it will be available in the final release of this application.


Regards,

Marcos
post #10018 of 11017
My wife gave me a BDP-95 for Christmas. My projector does not have HDMI capability, so the 105 is a no go. I have a question. Is there anyway to get the subwoofer to play when playing stereo SACD discs?
post #10019 of 11017
Hi All -

Was watching The Dark Knight Rises on blu-ray on my Oppo 95 the other night and I saw that the aspect ratio changed at least once during playback. For the majority of the movie there was no letter-boxing (a 1.77:1 aspect ratio?), but at least once for a period of time it switched to another apsect ratio and had black letter-box bars above and below the movie image. Eventually it did revert back to the full screen image though.

Has anyone experienced anything similar with this blu-ray or another movie? Could there be an issue with my Oppo settings? The other gear was a Pioneer Elite SC-57 AVR and a Sharp Elite Pro-70X5FD LCD TV.

Thanks,
JD
post #10020 of 11017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_alpha View Post

Hi All -

Was watching The Dark Knight Rises on blu-ray on my Oppo 95 the other night and I saw that the aspect ratio changed at least once during playback. For the majority of the movie there was no letter-boxing (a 1.77:1 aspect ratio?), but at least once for a period of time it switched to another apsect ratio and had black letter-box bars above and below the movie image. Eventually it did revert back to the full screen image though.

Has anyone experienced anything similar with this blu-ray or another movie? Could there be an issue with my Oppo settings? The other gear was a Pioneer Elite SC-57 AVR and a Sharp Elite Pro-70X5FD LCD TV.

Thanks,
JD

Isn't that part of the Blu-ray version? Check the thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1425288/the-dark-knight-rises

-Bill
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-95 Owner's Thread