or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › DIY Screen Section › The Official Silver Fire V.2 Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Silver Fire V.2 Thread. - Page 17

post #481 of 1462
I know, as of a couple of months ago, JoAnn's, Michael's, and Hobby Lobby all carried the Delta Pearl (though some stores only in 2 oz. bottles). Michael's has since phased out their Pearl supplies, but you may be able to find some still on the shelves for clearance pricing.
post #482 of 1462
They are on clearance at my local Michael's for $2.49
post #483 of 1462
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
They are on clearance at my local Michael's for $2.49
Yep...I cleaned out ALL the Memphis area Stores.
post #484 of 1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro383 View Post
The 2 blues stay. The white wall is just primed white.
Yeah I got that...but I want to know what the blues are...I like em...need to put a sample up in my room :-)
post #485 of 1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksimm1 View Post
Satisfied DIY'er here:


(The American)


(Game of Thrones)
Congrats. Looks prety good.
post #486 of 1462
Just hung my sintra board to start my 115" screen. I have the sprayer and will pick up the paints tomorrow for my SFv2 2. Hopefully that will go easy.

The hardest part is that I leave for a week to MA leaving my project behind! Oh; to get married....

When we get back she will have 115" to look at!

Looking forward to the project. Special thanks to MM and others. I hope to get some picts up and will report on the project. I'm sure when its done I will build some kind of masking system since I loved having it on my Stewart 94".

I was considering hanging it in the master bed room but I'll probably sell it instead. LOL
post #487 of 1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by warr
Oh; to get married....

When we get back she will have 115" to look at!
You sir, you are my hero. lol
post #488 of 1462
Mine too!
post #489 of 1462
Since we're all in the spirit of change... but mostly because it's hard to be believe Michaels would phase out Delta's Pearl... considering they probably carry so many other craft paints that i'm sure sells less...

i was about to introduce Silver Fire V2.1 with a new White Metallic Pearl to go along with the other changes.
this would be the first Silver Fire devoid of any craft paints!

Problem is... it's found at Menards.
And i just looked at the store locator for Menards...
hmmm.... seems there's no Menards west of Kansas, or south of Missouri, or east of Ohio, or north of the US.
now that's a problem because everyone else would have to order online.

guess i'll wait.
post #490 of 1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_maxxx View Post

Since we're all in the spirit of change... but mostly because it's hard to be believe Michaels would phase out Delta's Pearl... considering they probably carry so many other craft paints that i'm sure sells less...

i was about to introduce Silver Fire V2.1 with a new White Metallic Pearl to go along with the other changes.
this would be the first Silver Fire devoid of any craft paints!

Problem is... it's found at Menards.
And i just looked at the store locator for Menards...
hmmm.... seems there's no Menards west of Kansas, or south of Missouri, or east of Ohio, or north of the US.
now that's a problem because everyone else would have to order online.

guess i'll wait.

Or we could all sell our homes and move to Central USA. :-P
post #491 of 1462
Is this just a substitute for the Delta Ceramcoat or will it be an improvement over the Delta paint?

I'm wondering which should I buy..
post #492 of 1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_maxxx View Post

now that's a problem because everyone else would have to order online.

guess i'll wait.

At some point I will be using your excellent formula to paint a screen. As someone from the west coast, I would not mind ordering any (or all) of the items online if it provides a better result. After all, it's not like I'm going to want to paint a bunch of screens on impulse. Instead, I will plan on making one. I'm sure I would appreciate a better screen rather than being able to obtain the paint items quicker. If time is an issue, someone can just buy a screen.

Just one man's thoughts.

Thanks for your hard work!
post #493 of 1462
Hi guys, thx for your time and effort, this is one of those things I wouldn't be considering without the help of people like yourselves.

I'm just looking for an approval on my choice I suppose.

My Stuff:

Epson 8350 (seems like everybody bought one of these)
13' throw
120" screen matte white 1.0 (very cheap retractable)
complete light control
extremely dark walls/ceiling shortly, probably black ceiling and dark brown/black walls, I'm not sure yet but... dark.

will be buying a Wagner 518080 Control Spray Max HVLP Sprayer.

I'm planning on just spraying over my retractable screen. It never needs to close and it's been perfectly uniform for the past year I've had it.

My intention is to improve my blacks as much as possible without losing detail so I was planning on using SFv2 2.0. I guess I want to use 3.0... but that's probably a bit greedy considering my environment will be well controlled. I don't want to sacrifice white or contrast if i don't have to...however I really do like a rich picture with deeper blacks.

I realize the difference between 2 and 3 is probably quite subtle, but I thought I would ask, since it's going to to be a bit of a wait for materials it looks like.
post #494 of 1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERuiz View Post

Or we could all sell our homes and move to Central USA. :-P

menards has been such a mainstay of my adult life (here in the midwest) that i should own stock in it... and since i don't... considering how much money i've spent in their stores... i would thought they'd offer a couple shares as a rebate incentive!
post #495 of 1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliwankenobi View Post

Is this just a substitute for the Delta Ceramcoat or will it be an improvement over the Delta paint?

V2.1 will absolutely be an upgrade. just like the liquitex basics silver upgrade to V2... the new formula has a whiter pearl, higher concentration, and a finer grade of mica.
post #496 of 1462
@joikd;

welcome and thanks for your input. i for one, agrees with you.
post #497 of 1462
@Fishtank;

so long as your retractable is not the older glass beaded screen... painting your screen should be no problem. make of the black and spray away.

as for your choice dilema between 2.0 and 3.0... split it in half and go with 2.5
post #498 of 1462
ok, i personally haven't been using delta products for some time now... so i wasn't aware of the present situation that it was mostly michaels that carried the 8oz bottles. unfortunately, after checking out both my local michaels and hobby lobby today... and as several have reported...neither of them had delta brand metallics... not even in the 2oz bottles.

so for you midwesterners... i bring you 'local' shopping relief through Menards stores... with an upgraded white pearl metallic worthy of Silver Fire V2.1

everyone else will have to see if a paint store in your local area carries it... and/or order it online (but what else if different, right?!)

the upgraded white pearl is American Accents (by rustoleum) and comes in quart containers in the paint section of menards.

as for the cost... it is approx $25 for a quart... and therefore keeps silver fire squarely in the $75 cost range,

http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-Met.../dp/B003EELN1Y

check here for the V2.1 Silver Fire and MaxxMudd updates.
http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=752415
post #499 of 1462
Awesome! Thank you pb_maxxx!!

Now we just substitute the same amount of the Delta with the Rostoleum then?
post #500 of 1462
yes. time to retire the delta their 2oz craft paints.
post #501 of 1462
I am still a couple months away from doing my screen, but just wanted to check something. I know the goal is to keep a DIY budget for SF, but are there any components known to be better, albeit too pricey for the mass-distributed formula? I assume from monitoring this forum closely there aren't, but just wanted to make sure. I'm not made of money, but I would be very willing to spend another $100 or so to get the best SF the combined genius behind SF can imagine.

Just to clarify, I am not saying anything negative about the current formula, the results I have seen on this forum are nothing short of spectacular.
post #502 of 1462
@WhereToStart;

yes there are better components. generally better components equals better performance.

truth is... despite using more DIY cost effective materials.. neither maxxmudd or silver fire has taken a back seat in performance to anyone... and that includes the manufacturer's expensive specialty screens.

which is why we've loyally stuck with tried and true.
post #503 of 1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_maxxx View Post

@WhereToStart;

yes there are better components. generally better components equals better performance.

truth is... despite using more DIY cost effective materials.. neither maxxmudd or silver fire has taken a back seat in performance to anyone... and that includes the manufacturer's expensive specialty screens.

which is why we've loyally stuck with tried and true.

Oh, I know it definitely hasn't taken a back seat. As soon as I found this forum, and then SF, I haven't looked at another manufactured screen. I am incredibly impressed with the screens I have seen in this forum. I'm just wanting to do the best possible screen painting I can afford and the brains on this forum can concoct. Not to say I would at all be dis-satisfied with the SF in any of its incarnations.
post #504 of 1462
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereToStart View Post

Oh, I know it definitely hasn't taken a back seat. As soon as I found this forum, and then SF, I haven't looked at another manufactured screen. I am incredibly impressed with the screens I have seen in this forum. I'm just wanting to do the best possible screen painting I can afford and the brains on this forum can concoct. Not to say I would at all be dis-satisfied with the SF in any of its incarnations.

There are four ways to go about getting the best results.


1. Choose the specific paint application ideally suited to your Room's conditions and PJ's performance

2. Use the best available paint components, and mix them exactly as specified.

3. Use a good substrate Board, or adequately prepare a Wall Surface.

4. Spray on the coatings.

Beyond those parameters, it's pretty hard to spend more than what everything is already known to cost.

Perhaps the biggest cost/logistic/domestic hurdle for many is adapting the Room to fit the job. Changing wall/ceiling colors and controlling ambient/artificial light both make huge differences, but often find themselves compromised by one or more of the former concerns.

Simply put, the more adaptable the room can be for the job/PJ at hand, the less complex or involved the Screen application must be.

A good (...or bad as it may well be...) example is a current Posters dilemma.

A 1000 Lumen PJ ---Overly long Throw Distance --- a too large Screen ---absolutely depressing ambient light levels.

The ambient light must be contained....a LOT... if the PJ in question is to be used, throw cannot be changed, and the screen is to remain "big". Even then, only a lighter shade of metallic-infused Gray can be used...something with more gain than actual contrast enhancing ability.

So how about some specific details as to what your going to be facing / using? If there is plenty of time to prepare, you have an advantage many do not find themselves with.
post #505 of 1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

There are four ways to go about getting the best results.


1. Choose the specific paint application ideally suited to your Room's conditions and PJ's performance

2. Use the best available paint components, and mix them exactly as specified.

3. Use a good substrate Board, or adequately prepare a Wall Surface.

4. Spray on the coatings.

Beyond those parameters, it's pretty hard to spend more than what everything is already known to cost.

Perhaps the biggest cost/logistic/domestic hurdle for many is adapting the Room to fit the job. Changing wall/ceiling colors and controlling ambient/artificial light both make huge differences, but often find themselves compromised by one or more of the former concerns.

Simply put, the more adaptable the room can be for the job/PJ at hand, the less complex or involved the Screen application must be.

A good (...or bad as it may well be...) example is a current Posters dilemma.

A 1000 Lumen PJ ---Overly long Throw Distance --- a too large Screen ---absolutely depressing ambient light levels.

The ambient light must be contained....a LOT... if the PJ in question is to be used, throw cannot be changed, and the screen is to remain "big". Even then, only a lighter shade of metallic-infused Gray can be used...something with more gain than actual contrast enhancing ability.

So how about some specific details as to what your going to be facing / using? If there is plenty of time to prepare, you have an advantage many do not find themselves with.

Thanks MM.

I am doing a 12x15 dedicated HT with a 8700UB. I am removing all but 1 set of double windows from the room and putting a plug over those. My walls will be a very dark red, my ceiling will be a flat black, and I will have probably brushed nickel trim. I have one set of doors leading into the house that have windows, which I am covering with acoustic panels, weatherstripping, and then for added measure I'm putting up black-out curtains. I changed out another door for a solid door with no window. I'm going for a 115" screen I think, about 12.5" throw. The room should be 100% light controlled, with 90% movie viewing, occasional get-togethers with dimmed lighting. I am planning on 3 zones of lighting (sconces and cans with the spot beams you recommend) I'm thinking SF 2.0. I am going to buy a wagner for the job. I just want to do the absolute best I possibly can on the screen since in my opinion it is as important as the projector for giving the image that "wow" factor I am looking for.
post #506 of 1462
Thread Starter 
I concur that SF v.2 2.0 would be great for the 8700 and it's use in such a well thought out room.
post #507 of 1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_maxxx View Post

ok, i personally haven't been using delta products for some time now... so i wasn't aware of the present situation that it was mostly michaels that carried the 8oz bottles. unfortunately, after checking out both my local michaels and hobby lobby today... and as several have reported...neither of them had delta brand metallics... not even in the 2oz bottles.

so for you midwesterners... i bring you 'local' shopping relief through Menards stores... with an upgraded white pearl metallic worthy of Silver Fire V2.1

everyone else will have to see if a paint store in your local area carries it... and/or order it online (but what else if different, right?!)

the upgraded white pearl is American Accents (by rustoleum) and comes in quart containers in the paint section of menards.

as for the cost... it is approx $25 for a quart... and therefore keeps silver fire squarely in the $75 cost range,

http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-Met.../dp/B003EELN1Y

check here for the V2.1 Silver Fire and MaxxMudd updates.
http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=752415

Perfect timing !! I was about to start on my SF v2. Now I can get rid of house paints and craft paints. Thanks pb_maxxx !!

Thanks joikd for pushing pb_maxxx on V2.1
post #508 of 1462
Hello

With this new 2.1 formula I can now buy all materials locally/online.

Now I have a question about where to actually paint it.

Can anyone tell me in what kind of stores can I get a Sintra white board. It seems that this is recommended more often than the Thrifty white board. I can get the TWB in my local Home Depot for around $13.00. Very good really. But if I find a sintra panel at a good price...Would it be worth it over the TWB? Is the difference negligible between the two?

Thanks in advance.
post #509 of 1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliwankenobi View Post

Hello

With this new 2.1 formula I can now buy all materials locally/online.

Now I have a question about where to actually paint it.

Can anyone tell me in what kind of stores can I get a Sintra white board. It seems that this is recommended more often than the Thrifty white board. I can get the TWB in my local Home Depot for around $13.00. Very good really. But if I find a sintra panel at a good price...Would it be worth it over the TWB? Is the difference negligible between the two?

Thanks in advance.

I did a Google for "Sintra pvc st. Louis, mo" and found ACI plastics and some other local companies that claim to carry Sintra.
You could try that and see what pops up in your location.

The reason I am choosing Sintra is I don't want the humidity common in my basement to possibly warp my screen. Hardboard like any other wood product is susceptible to moisture and humidity.
I found Sintra for around $40 per 4'x8' sheet.
post #510 of 1462
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmSteel View Post

I did a Google for "Sintra pvc st. Louis, mo" and found ACI plastics and some other local companies that claim to carry Sintra.
You could try that and see what pops up in your location.

The reason I am choosing Sintra is I don't want the humidity common in my basement to possibly warp my screen. Hardboard like any other wood product is susceptible to moisture and humidity.
I found Sintra for around $40 per 4'x8' sheet.

Thank you! I never thought about the TWB warping by the humidity. That is certainly the case in PR.

Ok so now its go and try to find a plastics store that carry it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Screen Section
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › DIY Screen Section › The Official Silver Fire V.2 Thread.