Originally Posted by Lord_Zath
It's not necessarily connection outside. It could be a number of factors:
- Wireless connection to router (mine connects via wired cat 6 cable)
- Poor quality connection between router and modem (mine's on gigabit cat6)
- Lack of ports open (I've opened proper ports for XBL. Note that UPNP does probably work, but I don't trust it)
- Controller wireless connection to xbox (USB wired controller didn't seem to be any faster, but I game close to the xbox and perhaps my wireless router signals interfere?)
- Xbox connection to TV (my box is directly connected to projector via HDMI. A separate optical audio goes to my reciever).
- Crappy router
- Crappy modem
- EA's servers
- EA's network
- ISP throttling/blocking certain ports
- Other devices using your network at the same time (I've noticed more lag when my wife is on her xbox watching netflix)
Despite attempting to control for all variables above, I still run into the same problems you describe, Shmoops. It's why I'm a jet/vehicle whore in MP games. I did it in BC2, 1943, and BC1 in addition to BF3.
What's your outside upload speed? Mine is only 1.5 MB at best. DL is only 15 MB at best. I'm not moving too much info on that.
Some of the things you've mentioned, I don't have to deal with:
- My Xbox is hardwired to the modem (through UVerse, my modem and router are all in one). I'm pretty sure I'm using a cat 5 cable that is less than 6 feet long).
- Everyone in my house is sleeping when I'm on the Xbox, no one else is using the network.
- I am only 6-8 feet away from my Xbox when I play.
- I have not been notified of any bandwidth throttling by my ISP. Doesn't mean it's not happening, but if it is, I wouldn't know.
I have never played around with the ports, I'd need to look around online for some help with that if I wanted to try it. I may need to, it's been getting bad lately. I know when I've been out-shot, I'm not a great BF3 player and I know that. But, I also know when I'm getting BS'ed. This is another one that happens to me, I fire my fully automatic weapon and I only shoot one bullet, then I get sprayed by an enemy. No, my gun is not in single shot. It's like the game just stops me from shooting and says that I have to die.
Screw that guy in that video, how do some people get so good at this game. I can't even shoot stationary targets that well.