Originally Posted by Lord_Zath
Why the hate for Firestorm? As a pilot, I love its large area of flat land - perfect for landing and repairing. At the same time, I always felt that the flags are close together so a good ground game can win the match easily. There's a plethora of vehicles, and it's the only map I know of with both transport and attack choppers on both sides (which lends itself to too many people in the sky).
As for Air Superiority, here's my thoughts:
1. Heat seekers are a PITA but there's a huge difference in that I'm not really seeing people "dumping" their missiles at the last possible second to get the guaranteed kill through flares. I think it's partially because the ranges are so much closer.
2. People still suck at turning. A good pilot who can turn fast (maintaining 300-310) can evade missiles and evade the missile lock. As soon as I hear the lock-on tone, I immediately try to break off and start turning tightly left or right. That's typically enough to get the missile n00bs off my tail. Stealth helps give me that extra second or two of evasive time.
3. Despite no ejection, people still find a way to rob you of a kill by going to the menu and selecting suicide. So stupid.
4. Heat seekers are great for stealing kills. I do all the work to disable someone and BAM a missile finishes the guy off. Oh, well.
5. Moving in packs definitely helps. I prefer not to loiter around the flags, though, as that attracts too much attention. You'll also see that I like to go low as soon as I spawn in. With the paint schemes of the planes, I'm starting to think low for Flanker/Russian, high for Hornet/American.
6. No one spots.
Zath, from a jet pilot's POV I can see why Firestorm is so great, however, these are my reasons for hating Firestorm, from my usual perspective:
(1) You can cap A and B from the roof tops of the buildings. This is infuriating to me, it is annoying that the cap area is so vertically high.
(2) you can cap C from anywhere in the oil refinery area. Also annoying as people have found so many places to camp and you can't find them. The motion sensor doesn't help at all since you can't tell what level they are on.
(3) Due to the level layout, driving a tank/jeep is basically suicide if the other team has a good pilot. You'll be disabled from a single run of the jet or the attack chopper in a tank (killed if you are in the ATV which also has no lock tone for guided missiles or javelins). This is not a problem with the game mechanic as much as it is a problem with the fact that you are a sitting duck pretty much as you leave the objectives, there is no cover.
(4) Flag layout is boring.
(5) The map is too large for the 24 player count limit. I think this is another layout issue, because I don't feel this way about Caspian, maybe the flags are too far apart?
(6) Everyone is always in vehicles. Playing as infantry is boring and sometimes I just don't want to be in a vehicle.
Some of these may overlap with Hk's, but I think this sums it up for me.
As far as air superiority goes, I can't dodge missiles, I can't shoot the cannon straight, I can't turn quickly, and even though my jet will be scraping the ground I still get locked and shot down by heat seekers. I didn't think about the suicide at the menu thing, I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever play that game mode again, thanks.
I quit servers when AS shows up now too. It's just a waste of time and I don't find it fun. If I want to torture myself I'll just slam my hand in a drawer or something. Again, this is all my opinion and I can understand how a good jet pilot can enjoy that game mode, but it's just not for me.