or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+) › The official "Theta" thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official "Theta" thread - Page 150

post #4471 of 6787
Hi guys

I'm planning to order the Compli 3D (Craig has an introduction price I think). However at the moment I do not completely understand what I'm buying.
Yes I understand it's a transport, and modified PS.

Reading the specs for the Opp 103, it seems to be the answer to all I would need. I understand that no HDMI in will be available, so there is one difference.

Are anyone capable of telling me what features I will not get ? Norm stats he has the manual, so probably he's the guy that has the fact.

I need to know the full list of supported formats.
Network capabilities, Netflix, can I access my FLAC files ?
DNLA support.
For me it's important that I will have MC SACD.

Is the PS a universal like the Oppo ones ?

Please only facts, not what you think or believe. It does not help me :-)
Edited by ANRE - 10/7/12 at 1:57am
post #4472 of 6787
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANRE View Post

Hi guys
I'm planning to order the Compli 3D (Craig has an introduction price I think). However at the moment I do not completely understand what I'm buying.
Yes I understand it's a transport, and modified PS.
Reading the specs for the Opp 103, it seems to be the answer to all I would need. I understand that no HDMI in will be available, so there is one difference.
Are anyone capable of telling me what features I will not get ? Norm stats he has the manual, so probably he's the guy that has the fact.
I need to know the full list of supported formats.
Network capabilities, Netflix, can I access my FLAC files ?
DNLA support.
For me it's important that I will have MC SACD.
Is the PS a universal like the Oppo ones ?
Please only facts, not what you think or believe. It does not help me :-)

The Oppo site has a full list of function features of the 93 and the 103. There is no side by side comparison, but you can print out th pages and put them side by side. You will have Netflix, FLAC and DLNA support in the 93 (and hence Compli Blu 3D), but I believe the Oppo 103 has a better user interface. One if the thing I really missed in the 93 is the ability to select the 93 as a DLNA rendering device on the network. WIth that feature you could stream to the Oppo from a JRiver iPhone app. Can't be done with the 93 (you control the library with a very basic interface from the TV screen). It may be worth asking Oppo if this can be done with the 103 if the site is not conclusive and this feauture important to you.
post #4473 of 6787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post

Ok. So what are your impressions about HDMI and the other questions I posed?

Right now, all my geared is boxed as I move house and it will be some time before I get the new room's acoustics under control. Do you own a CB HD?
post #4474 of 6787
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekale View Post

Right now, all my geared is boxed as I move house and it will be some time before I get the new room's acoustics under control. Do you own a CB HD?
No. I don't own the CB3HD. I relocated and took another job about 200 miles away from where most of my properties are. However, even still It does not currently have all the features I want. Before the C3HD upgrade ever existed, I said that my next processor would have to be able to post-process 5.1 24/96 to 7.1. The current version can not handle 5.1 LPCM to 7.1 LPCM conversion. When the very first units where shipped, within days, it was one of the first questions I asked. The original thread,now deleted because of marketing, included that discussion. So being an audiophile and always looking to upgrade something, I bought a Gen VIII which I upgraded to series 3. I am just running two channel right now with Mcintosh MC501s, Mcintosh XR200 speakers,the Gen VIII S3 and still own a Marantz SA-7s1 for SACD . When Theta releases the next upgrade, the P3 card, I'll upgrade then. I don't have much time to listen at any rate. My daughter is 4 years old and wife in grad school. With my wife working full time and going to grad school, 90% of the little one care has shifted to me.
post #4475 of 6787
Fair enough. I've just had my first born. Saps time and funds. I upgraded relatively recently and, perhaps like any late upgrader, almost wish I had waited for the next version with new DACs and DSP - but I found a very good deal on a CB III with 2 x Extreme DACs and so grabbed it and did the upgrade, retiring my CB I. Like you, I have little time to play around and do detailed A-B testing and hence I'm always keen to hear the views of those that do. Between fly fishing, hunting, photography, fly tying and this I have too many hobbies - and all of them expensive. I also have a job that provides little free time. And now with the youngster, I'm fighting to keep my speakers in the house. (My mountain bike was retired to a storage unit yesterday frown.gif )
post #4476 of 6787
Quote:
Originally Posted by edorr View Post

The Oppo site has a full list of function features of the 93 and the 103. There is no side by side comparison, but you can print out th pages and put them side by side. You will have Netflix, FLAC and DLNA support in the 93 (and hence Compli Blu 3D), but I believe the Oppo 103 has a better user interface. One if the thing I really missed in the 93 is the ability to select the 93 as a DLNA rendering device on the network. WIth that feature you could stream to the Oppo from a JRiver iPhone app. Can't be done with the 93 (you control the library with a very basic interface from the TV screen). It may be worth asking Oppo if this can be done with the 103 if the site is not conclusive and this feauture important to you.

Endorr

I'm not purchasing an Oppo :-)
Their website has all the necessary information about the Oppo products. I need facts about the Compli HD

Do you really know Compli HD specs ?
If not, please do NOT replay. It's of not help at all !
post #4477 of 6787
Anre - check with Craig. If he doesn't know, we won't know.
post #4478 of 6787
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANRE View Post

Endorr
I'm not purchasing an Oppo :-)
Their website has all the necessary information about the Oppo products. I need facts about the Compli HD
Do you really know Compli HD specs ?
If not, please do NOT replay. It's of not help at all !

The Compli is based on the Oppo 93 so the Oppo site will answer all of your questions:

.....I need to know the full list of supported formats.
Network capabilities, Netflix, can I access my FLAC files ?
DNLA support.
For me it's important that I will have MC SACD....

Unless the Theta firmware disabled these features of course.
Edited by edorr - 10/7/12 at 3:00pm
post #4479 of 6787
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyree91 View Post

I have the Manual on the Compli Blu 3D. You should note it is a transport only, no analogue outputs at all. Sort of like the Carmen for BD & 3D. I'm sure it's based on the 93, which as you stated is no longer available with the exception of B Stock Refurbs on occasion. The 103 is supposed to be out end of Sept. or early Oct. I don't know yet what it entails.
This is the problem with The High End getting into Source products. They change so fast, and they rely on OEM to give them a basis to build upon , that they tend to be one generation behind. Also these components are not upgradeable, so Theta's upgrade policy doesn't work well on this class. I am sure however that the new Compli 3D will be at the head of the class, but under these circumstances these items are a hard sell, as excellent as they may be, and you can bet the Compli Blu 3D will be just that. Norm

Norm

I suppose the manual should answer most of my questions above in my first post on this page.
Possible to have a copy, or are you able to answer here on the forum ?

Netflix, MC SACD, FLAC from you local net, etc....

Andreas
post #4480 of 6787
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekale View Post

Anre - check with Craig. If he doesn't know, we won't know.

According to Craig, just spoke with him, the Compli 3D has exactly the same specs as Oppo 95.

Of cause with a very different power, and none of features related to the analog specs.

So then it will play MC SACD over HDMI, have Netflix etc., and DNLA
post #4481 of 6787
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANRE View Post

Is the PS a universal like the Oppo ones ?
No. The linear supplies that Theta uses are not universal.
post #4482 of 6787
I will ask again has there been anything further in regard to the Dirac upgrade officially or unofficially?
post #4483 of 6787
I'm with LJG: Bueller on Dirac? Bueller on Dirac?
post #4484 of 6787
LJG et al:

We have now completed the second spin of the new post-processing board and the software engineers are working hard on the new code. I am guardedly hopeful that we'll be able to offer a CES demo with Dirac Live integrated fully into the 'Blanca.

Jeff
post #4485 of 6787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post

LJG et al:
We have now completed the second spin of the new post-processing board and the software engineers are working hard on the new code. I am guardedly hopeful that we'll be able to offer a CES demo with Dirac Live integrated fully into the 'Blanca.
Jeff
Damn! Great news!
post #4486 of 6787
Have the new amps started shipping? Prometheus?
post #4487 of 6787
BD:

No new amps yet.

Jeff
post #4488 of 6787
Theta Compli Blu 3D ready to go !!!

This came from Theta today to dealers - Thought i would share this with you guys... We are so very excited to see Theta Cranking out great new Products..


Greetings:

We've got great news. The new Theta Digital Compli-blu 3D's will be shipping the week of November 5, 2012.

As you know Theta Digital has a long history of buying transports from whichever company is currently tops in the field, customizing and improving them and then offering to our select dealers.

As you may know, the Compl-3D began live as the Oppo BDP-95. We pulled out all of Oppo's "go-fasters" including the power supply and the analog audio outputs. Dave Reich and his henchmen optimized the remainder for use as a digital transport. Morris and his team rebuilt the mechanics to reflect a transport that can live for a lifetime and not the plastic toys so common in the category.

MSRP for the Compli-blu 3D is $3,995.00



Enjoy -
Craig
Theatermax
Theta's Largest worldwide Dealer !
post #4489 of 6787


Guys - Look at this attached image -

Jeff from Theta sent this out with the release in the thread prior and i just wanted to share with you guys this photo.

It really depicts what goes on Theta and more important the fact that the Compli Blu 3D is not just an Oppo95 in another case.

As you can see the whole thing is Theta(Obviously there are pieces and parts from the Oppo) but look at the Chassis and Power supply and Cabling and boards etc...

They apparently put alot onto this and its very very important to understand that the 3995 price reflects an amazing player that I bet will perform very well knowing what has been put into this.

Lets see if they come up with a trade up program. I would love this and i know you guys would also. Maybe a show of hands for who would upgrade would help Jeff decide to bring an upgrade program out.

Yes Im excited !!

Craig
post #4490 of 6787
Is that first one on the assembly line the one with the serial # "BRUZER1"?
post #4491 of 6787
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post


Guys - Look at this attached image -
Jeff from Theta sent this out with the release in the thread prior and i just wanted to share with you guys this photo.
It really depicts what goes on Theta and more important the fact that the Compli Blu 3D is not just an Oppo95 in another case.
As you can see the whole thing is Theta(Obviously there are pieces and parts from the Oppo) but look at the Chassis and Power supply and Cabling and boards etc...
They apparently put alot onto this and its very very important to understand that the 3995 price reflects an amazing player that I bet will perform very well knowing what has been put into this.
Lets see if they come up with a trade up program. I would love this and i know you guys would also. Maybe a show of hands for who would upgrade would help Jeff decide to bring an upgrade program out.
Yes Im excited !!
Craig
Cool!
post #4492 of 6787
please upload pics of combi blu ray 3d
thanks pete
post #4493 of 6787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

Is that first one on the assembly line the one with the serial # "BRUZER1"?

Are you getting one? I'd be very keen to hear your thoughts on it for two channel audio versus the Bryston BDP-1.
post #4494 of 6787
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekale View Post

Are you getting one? I'd be very keen to hear your thoughts on it for two channel audio versus the Bryston BDP-1.

Probably be getting one shortly!!@@@
post #4495 of 6787
Jeff, is there a full list of the upgrades made to the Oppo 95?
post #4496 of 6787
Steve:

I don't mean to put you off, but I'll be attending CEDIA China in Shanghai next week and am up to by rear end in alligators getting ready for the trip. After my return I'll put together the upgrade details.

Jeff
post #4497 of 6787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post

Steve:
I don't mean to put you off, but I'll be attending CEDIA China in Shanghai next week and am up to by rear end in alligators getting ready for the trip. After my return I'll put together the upgrade details.
Jeff

Sometimes one must wear an alligator shell to deal with us here on AVS Forum!!@@@@

Have a great time in China!!@@
post #4498 of 6787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post

Steve:
I don't mean to put you off, but I'll be attending CEDIA China in Shanghai next week and am up to by rear end in alligators getting ready for the trip. After my return I'll put together the upgrade details.
Jeff

Enjoy the most dynamic city in the world (except Moscow is a better city for partying)
post #4499 of 6787
Interesting development today that I wanted to share, this may be old news for some but it's new to me and I have not read it anywhere here that I recall.

I had some email questions in to John B on the various CBIIIHD modes for 2ch listening, essentially Analog Direct (via analog out from Oppo95) vs Stereo vs Matrix using HDMI from Oppo95. John suggested that I use Matrix, HDMI out, and turn all channels off except the L/R, as Matrix is close to Analog Direct mode except in the digital domain. L/R speakers should be set to either "Full" or "Full/LP" to use Matrix in this manner correctly.

I like having my subs on as it helps with my room modes, so I left the L/R/Subs on, turned off Center and surrounds, and fired up a CD that I know well (Patricia Barber, Cafe Blue, HDCD remaster). My L/R are set to "Full/LP". Anyway, I am astounded. This mode sounds exquisitely good, and actually, better than the Analog Direct mode via analog section of the Oppo. Very open, huge stage, solid center image, pinpoint instrument localizations.

Go figure.. Wanted to share my "finding" in case it is of help to anyone else here.
Edited by k_lewis - 10/31/12 at 2:36pm
post #4500 of 6787
What on earth then is "stereo"?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+) › The official "Theta" thread