Originally Posted by audioguy
I am giving some consideration to acquiring a CB IV wannabee (that would be a CB III in waiting) and have a number of questions. Without reading 6000 posts, here we go:
1. The stuff I read from the Theta site says the system runs at 24/96. If I have 24/192 files then I assume they are downsampled OR is there some way to process 24/192. Related to this, assuming I have a DSD capable DAC (non-Theta), how would I make use of it, if it is possible
2. Does the digital out card provide all bits or are they down sampled. I'm primarily interested in this for music.
3. Are distances manually put into the system or is there some kind of mic provided for computing exact distance. If manually, will the CB IV have a mic for this purpose (as well as Dirac)
4. Is channel volume set with an external or internal source and an SPL meter or is there an automatic function that will do this? What about with a CB IV?
Thanks in advance
I don't get it.
You were complaining about the Casablanca's (non-existant) reliability issues, calling it underwhelming, not 24 hours ago and now your giving it "some consideration" anyway! It sounds to me like, were you to buy one, the very first time you needed to reboot you'd be a very unhappy camper
You read about everybody's problems in this thread because people do not generally talk about an SSP that's been around for 17 years unless they develop a problem. And from time to time a problem may arise and this is the place everybody with a problem comes to talk about it.
So when you stop by every now and again, it looks to you like the Casablanca is nothing but a problem.
And I know you once owned one and I know every time you stop by you mention a reliability issue because I think I've seen every one of your posts here and they always read about the same.
Many of the posts you read about Casablanca problems are from people just like you. They're not owners, or they were at one time long ago, but they mention all of the problems they think it has.
That being said, everyone here is always trying to be helpful to anyone.
1. The Casablanca, like almost every other machine out there is currently running at 48k, the CB-IV however, will run at 96k and may or may not run at 192k, that is still unclear. So, let's assume there is no 192k internally, it would then be down-sampled to 96k.
I just installed the current Digi-out card yesterday and it outputs everything I tried at 96k right now but may output at 192 in the CB-IV, although I have not checked Blu-ray material input via HDMI yet so I won't say for certain what will happen.
You know the answer on how to use an external dac, your next question is about the Digi-out card. you just need a program like iRule to sync. and control volume.
2. What bit rate is output the Digi-out card will be determined by the way you input the signal. What is or isn't allowed to be output digitally if input via HDMI is determined by HDMI's rules not by Theta, certain material is protected. With unprotected material I think you'd be good to go.
3. Dirac Live will be an option in the CB-IV, if you have that option you'll get a mic for your computer to take the measurements that will be input to the CB-IV and settings will then be made but you should read the Dirac Live website for all the details
4. Currently channel volume can be set with the internal source of the CB-III and an SPL meter, there is no automatic function that will do this.
Again, read the Dirac Live website for their information on it's capabilities