The last major task of this project was to build the drawers. The design called for a total of 6 drawers plus 6 pull-out trays, so I started by building a spreadsheet:
That ended up working out well for me. After inputting the dimensions of each opening, all the rest of the columns were calculated automatically by spreadsheet formulas, which eliminated a lot of the calculation errors I typically make, plus helped me keep everything organized.
Then it was time to start milling parts. After planing down 4/4 Maple material to just over 1/2", the table saw sled helped cut everything to length and ensure that matching parts of the drawers were uniform in length:
On to the dovetail joints. I had purchased a new jig for this, and the first step with that is to set up the jig to define how many tails you want and what the spacing should be:
Milling the tails:
And the pins:
After adjusting things initially (using scrap pieces), it was thankfully pretty easy to yield nice-fitting joints for each corner:
To glue them up, I machined little clamping blocks to span over the pins and just put pressure on the tails:
Each glue-up went pretty smoothly. Glue between the tails only (nothing on the pins) meant that no glue squeezed into the inside of the drawer box:
I milled each pin / tail to be a bit long, and then used a bunch of sanders to trim them and get the sides smooth:
All the drawers and trays lined up:
The type of slide I used on the 6 drawers required a 1/4" hole on the back (to receive a hooked tab), so a little drilling jig helped make that happen quickly and consistently:
Mounting some of the hardware on the bottom front of the drawer:
You can see here that while the drawer hardware is designed to use 1/4" thick bottom material, I chose to use 1/2" thick pre-finished Maple plywood, in order to have a stronger bottom to the drawer. That required some extra steps to mill away portions of the bottom where the extra thickness got in the way.
One of the drawers installed:
I chose this soft- and auto-close drawer hardware because it all fits underneath, leaving the sides looking pretty clean.
For three of the pull-out trays, I wanted to create some bottle storage, so it was over to the drill press with the fly cutter to make some holes:
I ended up making a bunch of different diameters, from 2.5" up to 5", plus some rectangular holes for some of the odd-shaped bottles.
I couldn't reach some of the inner holes with the drill press, so for those I had to rough-cut them out with a jigsaw and then used a template and a router to clean them up:
And then I eased all the corners of the circles with a 3/32" radius roundover bit.
I'm having a special on toy train wheels -- let me know how many you guys want!
The liquor storage trays installed.
Here I went with heavy duty (100 lb) full-extension slides which seem to handle the loads just fine.
And finally, one of the other slide-out trays:
I had a slight problem here with the door hinges interfering with the pull-out trays (there is one adjusting screw that sticks out a little bit farther than I had anticipated). So these trays got what I'm now calling a Decorative Groove milled along their sides...