Great ideas, guys, on the panel selection -- you've definitely given me some new ways to look at this. The main thing I realized is that I need to better consider how those panels play with the rest of the cabinets...
So today I finally made some sawdust! The first cabinet I tackled is the corner cabinet that holds the TV/display. That started by ripping two sheets of 3/4" plywood in half. I like to use a track saw for this, as it's easier than muscling a full sheet through the table saw:
That leaves a cut that's good enough to use as a final edge:
Then I rip the panel to final width on the table saw:
I use a sled to cut the panel roughly in half for the two shelves:
And then cut them to final length just using the fence:
A little trim saw and a hand saw make the cutouts for the kick space at the bottom:
For the dadoes for the shelves, I like doing them with my router; it leaves a perfectly flat bottomed dado and it's easier to dial in the thickness of the plywood (which varies):
A dry fit of one of the shelves:
I think it's worth pre-drilling holes from the dado side to mark the locations of the screw holes; this eliminates guessing when it's time to drill into the shelves from the outside:
Then, after a bunch of assembly, I ended up with a rough carcass!
The vertical piece of lighter plywood across the top will eventually hold the TV mount.
Next step is the face frame; hopefully this weekend...