or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › Rush 5.1 re-releases being readied
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rush 5.1 re-releases being readied - Page 2

post #31 of 378
It better be Blu-ray!!!!!!! I just sold my Oppo and got a PS3
post #32 of 378
Actually it will be both a CD/DVD and a CD/Blu Ray combo pack. I am wondering if the DVD will be a DVD-Audio option or just a compressed 5.1 like Snakes and Arrows.
post #33 of 378
I really wish they'd release their entire catalogue, start to finish a la Genesis, even though Genesis got it wrong with the Live box. I can only dream of hearing the layered guitars in the The Necromancer all around me..
post #34 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by geddylee View Post

I really wish they'd release their entire catalogue, start to finish a la Genesis, even though Genesis got it wrong with the Live box. I can only dream of hearing the layered guitars in the The Necromancer all around me..

Geddy-I thought you would appreciate the bass, vocals, and keyboard more??
post #35 of 378
Here's a little more info :

The 5.1 Surround Sound remix of RUSH's classic 1981 album "Moving Pictures" will be released on April 5. Two packages will be made available — a CD/DVD set and a CD/BD (Blu-ray disc) set. According to the RushIsABand.com web site, the CD will contain the stereo mix while the DVD/Blu-ray will contain the Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo mix. As an added bonus the DVD/Blu-ray will also contain 5.1 mixes of the music videos for "Tom Sawyer", "Limelight" and "Vital Signs".

"Moving Pictures" 5.1 Surround Sound remix track listing:

Disc 1:

01. Tom Sawyer
02. Red Barchetta
03. YYZ
04. Limelight
05. The Camera Eye
06. Witch Hunt
07. Vital Signs

Disc 2:

01. Tom Sawyer (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
02. Red Barchetta (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
03. YYZ (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
04. Limelight (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
05. The Camera Eye (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
06. Witch Hunt (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
07. Vital Signs (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
08. Tom Sawyer (Music Video - 5.1 & Stereo)
09. Limelight (Music Video - 5.1 & Stereo)
post #36 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Geddy-I thought you would appreciate the bass, vocals, and keyboard more??

You'd think... , at this point I'd take Tai Shan in surround..
post #37 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by geddylee View Post

You'd think... , at this point I'd take Tai Shan in surround..

That song has been a running joke between my buddy and I forever. I always hated it but he liked it. He sent me a link a few months back from an interview with Geddy and he was bagging on it.
post #38 of 378
Quote:


According to the RushIsABand.com web site, the CD will contain the stereo mix while the DVD/Blu-ray will contain the Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo mix.

I wonder what they mean by Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo.
post #39 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantmorehd View Post


I wonder what they mean by Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo.

That is THE question.
post #40 of 378
I'll bet it's DTS HD MA 24/96 Surround and LPCM 24/96 Stereo.[according to what I've read on Steve Hoffman's website I'm right]
post #41 of 378
From Rush.com:

Both DVD & Blu-ray formats will boast the 5.1 surround sound and stereo audio in 96kHz/24-bit high-resolution audiophile playback which offers 256 times more resolution than CD audio, providing the listener with the closest experience you can have to what the artists hear in the studio. The DVD is playable on both DVD-Audio and DVD-Video players, the latter players will include Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound and PCM stereo playback. Blu-ray discs will also feature DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound in addition to 96kHz/24-bit PCM 5.1 surround sound and stereo.

Very surprised to see a DVD-A version. So many people have 5.1 home theater setups now that will play Blu-ray. Hopefully this (along with Damn The Torpedoes) does well in the marketplace and can be a catalyst for new hi-rez audio releases.
post #42 of 378
Thank you for the update. I am gonna go smile now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McWilliams View Post

From Rush.com:

Both DVD & Blu-ray formats will boast the 5.1 surround sound and stereo audio in 96kHz/24-bit high-resolution audiophile playback which offers 256 times more resolution than CD audio, providing the listener with the closest experience you can have to what the artists hear in the studio. The DVD is playable on both DVD-Audio and DVD-Video players, the latter players will include Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound and PCM stereo playback. Blu-ray discs will also feature DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound in addition to 96kHz/24-bit PCM 5.1 surround sound and stereo.

Very surprised to see a DVD-A version. So many people have 5.1 home theater setups now that will play Blu-ray. Hopefully this (along with [i]Damn The Torpedoes[i]) does well in the marketplace and can be a catalyst for new hi-rez audio releases.
post #43 of 378
Red Barchetta in 96/24 5.1? Sign me up!
post #44 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

That song has been a running joke between my buddy and I forever. I always hated it but he liked it. He sent me a link a few months back from an interview with Geddy and he was bagging on it.

There are worse songs out there, by Rush but mostly by others...
post #45 of 378
Got an e-mail from Amazon US that it's up for pre-order so I did (BD/CD).

The wording is a bit confusing but I don't see that there will be an actual DVD-A version, just that the DVD will play in DVD-A players. I'd be very surprized to see a DVD-A these days, especially in addition to a Blu-ray. I've got a decent collection of DVD-A but I'm just as happy with a Blu-ray for hi-res surround.
post #46 of 378
Hi Jack!

It is a little unclear. But would it not have to be DVD-A in order to have 96/24, as the RUSH.com snippet above suggests?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey
Got an e-mail from Amazon US that it's up for pre-order so I did (BD/CD).

The wording is a bit confusing but I don't see that there will be an actual DVD-A version, just that the DVD will play in DVD-A players. I'd be very surprized to see a DVD-A these days, especially in addition to a Blu-ray. I've got a decent collection of DVD-A but I'm just as happy with a Blu-ray for hi-res surround.
post #47 of 378
thanks for the heads up jack...

just pre-ordered too...
post #48 of 378
Hey Ben!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baniels View Post
Hi Jack!

It is a little unclear. But would it not have to be DVD-A in order to have 96/24, as the RUSH.com snippet above suggests?
Surely (at least for 96/24 5.1, DVD can do 96/24 stereo PCM which added to my doubt), but they keep calling it a DVD and DVD-Audio isn't mentioned anywhere on the Amazon listing so I wasn't quite sure what they really meant. I'd be pretty impressed (and encouraged) if they actually bother to release DVD-A. I might even buy that, too, just to support the decision.
post #49 of 378
sounds like it's a plain 'ol DVD-V with 24/96 stereo and 5.1 DD
post #50 of 378
Pre-ordered!

I hope, whatever the reason for previous overly-compressed mixes/masters, that this is nice and open, just like Damn the Torpedoes and other recent good releases from Porcupine Tree and King Crimson.

shinksma
post #51 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold View Post
sounds like it's a plain 'ol DVD-V with 24/96 stereo and 5.1 DD
The below quote indicates to me that lossless 5.1 is also on the disc.

"The DVD is playable on both DVD-Audio and DVD-Video players, the latter players will include Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound and PCM stereo playback."

Notice that the 5.1 DD and stereo PCM are referenced for the "latter," which based on the sentence would mean DVD-Video players while there is an insinuation of lossless 5.1 for DVD-Audio players.

I'm going to pre-order the DVD version and take a chance.
post #52 of 378
is there a link to the pre-order?

never mind i found it (CD+DVD, CD+Bluray)

Msmith - it sounds like you could be right, in which case it'll be great
post #53 of 378
Wow, both multi & stereo hi-rez RUSH....What can i say, this is F'in Fantastic!!!
post #54 of 378
I never really liked Rush, perhaps because I never heard them on anything better than a car stereo. However, there are a several other artists out there that I thought I didn't care for until hearing them in 5.1 hi-res. So I just pre-ordered the blu-ray hi-res version of this album.

My behavior is that I'll very likely buy hi-res surround material from well regarded artists even if I've never previously had any of their music in my collection...Are you listening record company executives?
post #55 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar surround View Post

I never really liked Rush, perhaps because I never heard them on anything better than a car stereo. However, there are a several other artists out there that I thought I didn't care for until hearing them in 5.1 hi-res. So I just pre-ordered the blu-ray hi-res version of this album.

My behavior is that I'll very likely buy hi-res surround material from well regarded artists even if I've never previously had any of their music in my collection...Are you listening record company executives?

I purchased "Dark Side of the Moon" on Surround SACD, even though I'm not a Pink Floyd fan in the least. Sounds pretty good.

I believe they are doing the DVDA because they are big fans of Porcupine Tree and their DVDA's are phenomenal. Of course, PT's music is an excellent pairing with surround. I'll probably get both (Rush's DVDA & BD), so I can listen for any differences in quality.

Chris
post #56 of 378
Dear Rush:

Please go listen to the Talking Heads Speaking in Tongues in 5.1 and adjust your bass accordingly. You have failed on all your CDs and failed on your Blu-Ray concert videos. Please do it right this time!
post #57 of 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatawan View Post

Dear Rush:

Please go listen to the Talking Heads Speaking in Tongues in 5.1 and adjust your bass accordingly. You have failed on all your CDs and failed on your Blu-Ray concert videos. Please do it right this time!

Speaking In Tongues DualDisc is awesome.
post #58 of 378
Fwiw, my favorite sounding Rush album is Fly By Night, specifically By-Tor. Love to hear that remixed to 5.1...
post #59 of 378
http://news.2112.net/2010/05/rushs-b...1-reissue.html

Moving Pictures 5.1 Surround Remix - Preorder Now
Coming April 5th, The Moving Pictures - Deluxe Edition, newly remixed in 5.1 surround, is finally available for preorder as a two disk CD/DVD or CD/Blu-Ray edition (both editions include identical contents and tracklists). The package will include an extensive gallery with previously unreleased photos from the original recording sessions, new liner notes by renowned music journalist David Fricke and 30th anniversary artwork by original album designer Hugh Syme. Rush.com has provided extensive details regarding the release:

"Rush's Moving Pictures celebrates its 30th anniversary this year with a spectacular Moving Pictures - Deluxe Edition via Mercury/UMe. The reissue of this seminal album on April 5, 2011, will be available in two formats: (1) a digitally remastered CD plus DVD and (2) a digitally remastered CD plus Blu-ray. For this Deluxe Edition, the DVD & Blu-ray discs will feature the album and three bonus music videos, 'Tom Sawyer,' 'Limelight' and the previously unreleased clip 'Vital Signs,' in both a stunning 5.1 surround sound mix supervised by the band's Alex Lifeson using the original multi-tracks and in newly remastered stereo from the original analog master tapes.

Both DVD & Blu-ray formats will boast the 5.1 surround sound and stereo audio in 96kHz/24-bit high-resolution audiophile playback which offers 256 times more resolution than CD audio, providing the listener with the closest experience you can have to what the artists hear in the studio. The DVD is playable on both DVD-Audio and DVD-Video players, the latter players will include Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound and PCM stereo playback. Blu-ray discs will also feature DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound in addition to 96kHz/24-bit PCM 5.1 surround sound and stereo.

The Moving Pictures experience has never sounded better or been more moving. Also included in the package is an extensive gallery with previously unreleased photos from the original recording sessions, new liner notes by renowned music journalist David Fricke and 30th anniversary artwork by original album designer Hugh Syme.

Tracklisting:



CD:


Tom Sawyer


Red Barchetta
YYZ
Limelight
The Camera Eye


Witch Hunt


Vital Signs

BLU-RAY / DVD-AUDIO/VIDEO (same tracklist for both)
Tom Sawyer (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
Red Barchetta (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
YYZ (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)


Limelight (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
The Camera Eye (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)


Witch Hunt (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)
Vital Signs (Audiophile 5.1 Surround and Stereo)

Tom Sawyer (Music Video - 5.1 & Stereo)
Limelight (Music Video - 5.1 & Stereo)
Vital Signs (Music Video - 5.1 & Stereo - Previously Unreleased)" - Rush.com, February 25, 2011

"Ok, so the word is out. I've been in the studio for last month remixing the original Moving Pictures CD in 5.1 surround. I finished tweaks on Red Barchetta yesterday. It really was an amazing experience to spread the original tracks of such a classic CD into the 3D word of surround. (The car speeds off, goes behind and banks a sharp right in rear BTW). The listening experience is drastically enveloping and coupled with songs and performances that epitomize this band, it's definitely a great time to re-discover Rush. After discussion with the band, the goal here was to pay serious homage to the production of the era so a considerable amount of time was spent researching and working through effects etc. that matched the original but would fare well in the 5.1 world. And of course, placement was also a critical issue. I'm pleased with the results and Alex Lifeson was pretty blown away when he came in to listen to the finals." - Richard Chycki, richardchycki.com, February 4, 2011

No word yet on the rest of the reissues; as first announced last summer, last reissued as "The Rush Remasters" in 1997, Rush's entire back catalog with Universal (1974-1987) will be the subject of a major reissues campaign in 2011.
Posted by Power Windows at Friday, February 25, 2011
Email This BlogThis! Share to Twitter Share to Facebook
post #60 of 378
Amazon's now updated - CD+DVD-Audio, although the description is still as vague(!)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Surround Music Formats
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › Rush 5.1 re-releases being readied