Well its been a couple of very frustrating days on the theater build. I had a few issues with the star ceiling. I did not paint the panels prior to putting them up. I got the first 2 panels up and noticed that there is a few spaces where the fabric is sagging a bit. Not a lot of sag but enough to bother me. I figure that it is because the glue was getting soaked up into the wood. I used nearly an entire can of 3m spray adhesive per panel. I primed the other 3 panels and it did not take nearly as much glue and held much better. I stayed up late last night running all the fibers and getting the 3rd panel ready to put up. It takes me about 5 hours to put up the fabric and run all the stars for each panel.
This morning I lifted the panel up and put it in place at about 10 AM. When I got it up, to my dismay the fabric did not match. It was not the direction the fabric was installed, it was simply different. The pile on the velvet was not as thick and had more sheen to it. I held the remnants from that piece of fabric up to the rest and no matter which way you turn it, it is clearly different. Not dramatically so, but enough. I noticed a similar thing when looking at the fabric store, some bolts had more sheen than others even though it was the same sku. I ordered 20 yards online so it would all come from the same batch but I received 2 8 yard bolts and a 4 yard piece. The different piece is the 4 yard section. Anyway the panel had to come down, have the stars removed, the fabric ripped off and I had to start all over. At 8:00 PM, I had the new fabric on the panel and had it ready to lift up to the ceiling. In other words, 10 hours of work to get to where I started the day.
Here is a photo of what the 3rd panel looked like. You can see how much darker the first two panels are. Its harder to see the difference in the photo than in person.