or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Technical › Directional Antenna into router HELP!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Directional Antenna into router HELP!  

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
I have been wanting to purchase a 24dbi Directional grid antenna and mount it on top of my home(approximately 15-20ft high) and run the cable into the house. Is there any way possible that I can connect the antenna into a wireless box and have the signal shot around in the house? I have the 1000mw usb adapter to my laptop and i want to make it wireless in the house.
Is this possible to do? and if so,whats the best way to do this. Please help.
post #2 of 22
No. You need to run coax.
post #3 of 22
I'm a little confused by what you are asking.

1) Are you trying to connect a high gain external antenna to a Wifi adapter to increase wireless network range?
2) This is an HDTV forum. Is the antenna to pick up over the air (OTA) TV programs?
3) Something else.
post #4 of 22
I'll take a stab at this. You could connect your over the air TV tuner to an HD Homerun tuner and then send the TV signal from the Homerun over your network.
post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tschmidt View Post
I'm a little confused by what you are asking.

1) Are you trying to connect a high gain external antenna to a Wifi adapter to increase wireless network range?
2) This is an HDTV forum. Is the antenna to pick up over the air (OTA) TV programs?
3) Something else.

What i am trying to do is connect this antenna so that i can get my friends wifi(about 1/2 mile) so i can watch tv online. is this possible to somehow instead of having it only go to one computer,have it into a wireless box that i can connect to wirelessllythough my laptop.

yes i know its an HDTV post, but nobody else knows more about topics like this then people likke you guys.
post #6 of 22
I think you might be able to do what you want with an ATSC tuner (STB), a Slingbox, and a wireless bridge. Good luck with your friend's wifi being a 1/2 mile way, though.
post #7 of 22
Thread Starter 
weelli can catch a bar through my laptop
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey64 View Post

Is there any way possible that I can connect the antenna into a wireless box and have the signal shot around in the house?

Buy two of these: http://www.streakwave.com/Itemdesc.a...letM5HP&eq=&Tp
Get a pair of 5.8 GHz directional antennas. http://www.streakwave.com/Itemdesc.a...D53-21&eq=&Tp=
Aim them at each other. Pick locations that can see each other. Plug one end into your neighbors router using a hard wired Ethernet cable, plug the other into your wireless router.

You will also need a pair of Power over Ethernet (POE) adapters. http://www.streakwave.com/mmSWAVE1/V..._Datasheet.pdf
post #9 of 22
Thread Starter 
i just want to capture his wifi without having to install anything at his place too. i want to capture it and connect to a computer. the question im asking is that i want to capture it and make a wifi spot inside my house while connected to his network.
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey64 View Post

i just want to capture his wifi without having to install anything at his place too. i want to capture it and connect to a computer. the question im asking is that i want to capture it and make a wifi spot inside my house while connected to his network.

You need more than just an antenna. This device claims to do what you need, but real life implementation may not solve your problem.

http://electrodisc.com/linksys-wrt16...SD&language=en

Here's a story about the process. http://lifehacker.com/#!178132/hack-...o-a-600-router

You really need a device with two antennas, one aimed at your neighbor's, the other inside your house. They must be on different channels. Most routers come programmed for channel 6. The only non overlapping channels are 1 or 11. I don't know if you can use two routers back to back to achieve the same goal.
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey64 View Post
i just want to capture his wifi without having to install anything at his place too. i want to capture it and connect to a computer. the question im asking is that i want to capture it and make a wifi spot inside my house while connected to his network.
Does "your friend" know you're trying to utilize his WiFi/internet connection?
If he's on-board, then he has to install an antenna/x-mitter to boost the signal. Which you should purchase.

If you're trying to just get a "free" signal, how do know he doesn't have/use security (wep/wpa) to lock out unauthorized access?
post #12 of 22
Thread Starter 
yes he is my friend. the reason idont want to install it from his side it that its going to cost me extra money i dont have. he has no wep pass because i am able to log into his network with very weak signal from my front yard. i have a clear line of site.
post #13 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

No. You need to run coax.

i dont need coax.i need lmr 400 to not lose the ghz
post #14 of 22
1) he should use wireless security
2) radios in wireless has it's distance limitation(s)
3) your choices are antennas or run a 1/2 mile of Cat6 from his house to yours.

Either way... it will cost you.
Maybe you should just get your own internet connection/provider.
post #15 of 22
You said that your laptop is receiving the signal with 1 bar.

If the laptop's antenna has no gain, the 24 dB antenna will increase the signal power by 256 times. Aiming will be important as the beam width will be very narrow.

You may or may not require a low noise antenna pre-amplifier (e.g. must be capable of amplifying signals in the GHz range).

To get the signal into your laptop, connect the above to a 2nd antenna, located near the laptop.
post #16 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by serndipity View Post

You said that your laptop is receiving the signal with 1 bar.

If the laptop's antenna has no gain, the 24 dB antenna will increase the signal power by 256 times. Aiming will be important as the beam width will be very narrow.

You may or may not require a low noise antenna pre-amplifier (e.g. must be capable of amplifying signals in the GHz range).

To get the signal into your laptop, connect the above to a 2nd antenna, located near the laptop.

thank u serndipity . awesome. finally someone who actually gives a good a good answer. i have the 24dbi grid. should i get the alfa or a friend of mine actually has a pannel antenna he bought for like 150. supposedly its better cuz its a 20dbi antenna plus its got a built in ralink 30dbi adapter. what should i use?
post #17 of 22
Looks like you think you're on the right track. Let us know how it works out.
post #18 of 22
Thread Starter 
thanks alot everyone.
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey64 View Post

yes he is my friend. he has no wep pass because i am able to log into his network with very weak signal from my front yard. i have a clear line of site.

You are taking unfair advantage of your neighbor. I'm sorry that I offered any suggestions.
post #20 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post

You are taking unfair advantage of your neighbor. I'm sorry that I offered any suggestions.

i actually ended up taking an old panel antenna and plugging it in at his home and using another at my house. so im not taking advantage.
post #21 of 22
I still don't think this is the proper forum for this question..that said, carry on.
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonoughDawg View Post

I still don't think this is the proper forum for this question..that said, carry on.

I think you're right. Probably should be in HTPC or streaming area. That said, looks like it's run its course, anyway. Thread closed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Technical
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Technical › Directional Antenna into router HELP!