or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › What are you guys using to remove commercials in Win7?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are you guys using to remove commercials in Win7? - Page 2

post #31 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

I'm no expert on this program but I'll try to help. Hopefully I'll learn a little more about it too.

In the DVRMStoMPEGSettings program, in the "Commercial Skip" tab, is your Commercial Path set to C:\\Users\\Public\\DvrmsToolbox\\CommercialsXml ?

Thanks a bunch for the reply. Yes, that is my path. And in there are valid commercial skip files for nearly each show. However, they are continually being re-newed; nearly 980% of the files in there have the current days date on them from continually being re-generated.

Maybe there's a setting in the FileWatcher (somewhere) to tell it to not reprocess a video file if the profile has successfully executed, or if there already exists a commercial XML file for it?
post #32 of 47
Quote:


Maybe there's a setting in the FileWatcher (somewhere) to tell it to not reprocess a video file if the profile has successfully executed, or if there already exists a commercial XML file for it?

If there is I haven't found it.

Under the "File Watcher" tab do you have "Automatic Cleanup" checked? If so what number is entered on the line for "Cleanup Frequency"?
post #33 of 47
hmm, I have never seen that. I would post your question here as the developer (babgvant) of DVR-ms tool box might reply faster then on this forum...

http://babgvant.com/forums/5.aspx
post #34 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gunn View Post

Thanks a bunch for the reply. Yes, that is my path. And in there are valid commercial skip files for nearly each show. However, they are continually being re-newed; nearly 980% of the files in there have the current days date on them from continually being re-generated.

Maybe there's a setting in the FileWatcher (somewhere) to tell it to not reprocess a video file if the profile has successfully executed, or if there already exists a commercial XML file for it?

The FW works in a couple ways:

1) detecting new/changed files
2) looking for files w/o artifacts (xml/edl)

If your process changes files in the watched directory the FW will process them again. You can use PC (processing conditions) to determine which profile is executed.
post #35 of 47
In cases where the recording is done by a media server and the watching is done by other htpcs, where do you install this. On each computer doing the watching or on the server that does the recording and storing of the wtv files?

Also, is it possible to move the files when being converted. What I mean is that currently, my recordedtv folder is on the C: drive but I have an application that moves the files to my Z:\
ecordedtv folder after the recording is over.
post #36 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor View Post

In cases where the recording is done by a media server and the watching is done by other htpcs, where do you install this. On each computer doing the watching or on the server that does the recording and storing of the wtv files?

Install your commercial scanning program on the PC(server in your case) that does the recordings and store the commercialxml(since you mentioned WTV I assume your also using 7MC) locally, then point skipping program on the client PCs to the dir you saved the commercilaxml(other DVR software w/ native auto skipping usually just look for the support type of commercial scan file in the recorded file dir so no need for this).
post #37 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyram4x4 View Post

Install your commercial scanning program on the PC(server in your case) that does the recordings and store the commercialxml(since you mentioned WTV I assume your also using 7MC) locally, then point skipping program on the client PCs to the dir you saved the commercilaxml(other DVR software w/ native auto skipping usually just look for the support type of commercial scan file in the recorded file dir so no need for this).

Yes, using 7MC on all three machines. When you say store commercialxml locally, I assume you mean in the RecordedTV folder of the two HTPCs correct. Also not sure what you mean by "skipping program". I guess I will underdstand more when I do the actual install. Thanks for the info.
post #38 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor View Post

Yes, using 7MC on all three machines. When you say store commercialxml locally, I assume you mean in the RecordedTV folder of the two HTPCs correct. Also not sure what you mean by "skipping program". I guess I will underdstand more when I do the actual install. Thanks for the info.

No on the server, as in locally to the scanning software.

7MC doesn't have native support for commercial skipping that's why people use things like DVRMSToolbax w/ DTBaddin(the addin can be used w/o DVRMSToolbox but it's easier to use w/ it). You need to tell the skipping program where you store you commercialxml files.
post #39 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

If there is I haven't found it.

Under the "File Watcher" tab do you have "Automatic Cleanup" checked? If so what number is entered on the line for "Cleanup Frequency"?

Yes, I have Automatic Cleanup checked and the number entered on the line for Cleanup Frequency is '7'...


Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post

The FW works in a couple ways:

1) detecting new/changed files
2) looking for files w/o artifacts (xml/edl)

If your process changes files in the watched directory the FW will process them again. You can use PC (processing conditions) to determine which profile is executed.

I'm using the profile attached to this thread in an earlier post unmodified. It creates a .dvr-ms file in a temp directory from the .wtv file, processes it with comskip and then deletes the .dvr-ms file. The .wtv file is left untouched, so I'm not sure why it would try to process it again, but it is...continuously.

HOWEVER, I think I may be on to something. For whatever reason a day after I made this post, it suddenly stopped processing every file continuously..only some of them. From what I may have found of those, is a pattern of sorts. It looks like most of them end one processing session in the log with:

Code:
Running comskip this may take a while.
Run C:\\Program Files\\DVRMSToolbox\\Applications\\comskip.exe "C:\\TVScanFolder\\Shane Untamed_NGWILD_2011_07_25_01_57_00.dvr-ms" "C:\\Users\\Public\\DvrmsToolbox\\CommercialsXml" 

Finished Commercial Detectection
No commercials found
Action did not complete successfully
Total Duration = 00:43:32.8310291

PW Exit: System.InvalidOperationException: No process is associated with this object.
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.EnsureState(State state)
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.get_HasExited()
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.EnsureState(State state)
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.get_ExitCode()
   at Durrant.DVRMSFileWatcher.ProcessWrap.ap_Exited(Object sender, EventArgs e)
I see a 'Action did not complete successfully' which is followed by an exception. Then shortly thereafter in the log is another set of 'Start Process: ' where is processes it again, and again, and again.

Not sure why it didn't find commercials in this file, but in any case that still shouldn't be the cause of an "Action did not complete successfully". But would this action cause it to be processed again?

Thanks,
post #40 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gunn View Post
Not sure why it didn't find commercials in this file, but in any case that still shouldn't be the cause of an "Action did not complete successfully". But would this action cause it to be processed again?
Finding commercials = success, so not finding commercials = !success, this behavior is intentional.

If no commercials are found most likely no artifact (xml file) is created, which should cause it to get picked up by the second way that the FW works. One approach to making it not do that would be to configure the FindCommericals action to "continue on fail" and add a "DumpCommericalsXml" immediately afterwards - which writes the commercial xml file even if there aren't any defined.
post #41 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post

Finding commercials = success, so not finding commercials = !success, this behavior is intentional.

If no commercials are found most likely no artifact (xml file) is created, which should cause it to get picked up by the second way that the FW works. One approach to making it not do that would be to configure the FindCommericals action to "continue on fail" and add a "DumpCommericalsXml" immediately afterwards - which writes the commercial xml file even if there aren't any defined.

Thanks for the info. So I used 'DVRMStoMPEGSettings', double-clicked on the 'Convert to DVRMS, Scan for Commercials, Delete DVRMS' profile, double-clicked on the 'Find Commercials in File' (the FindCommercials action) and checked the box ContinueOnFail. Immediately after this action there was already a 'Writer commercial spans as XML' (the DumpCommercialsXML action). This action already had the ContinueOnFail option checked. So now that I've done that, we'll see what happens. I'll report back with results.

Thanks!
post #42 of 47
I am also using this profile successfully with DVRMSToolbox 1.2.2.0. I upgraded to 1.2.2.4 and suddenly I always got the same messages:

Finished Commercial Detectection
No commercials found
Action did not complete successfully

I knew there were commercials and I busted a nut trying to figure out what was wrong. I finally decided to downgrade back to 1.2.2.0 and its working again.
post #43 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdmalek View Post

I am also using this profile successfully with DVRMSToolbox 1.2.2.0. I upgraded to 1.2.2.4 and suddenly I always got the same messages:

Finished Commercial Detectection
No commercials found
Action did not complete successfully

I knew there were commercials and I busted a nut trying to figure out what was wrong. I finally decided to downgrade back to 1.2.2.0 and its working again.

Wow thanks for the info, I have not upgraded to 1.2.2.4 nor reviewed what might have changed but a great tip for others
thanks....
post #44 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterescape View Post

Wow thanks for the info, I have not upgraded to 1.2.2.4 nor reviewed what might have changed but a great tip for others
thanks....

I have learned since my last post that the reason 1.2.2.4 did not work is because it is bundled with a version of comskip that did not work with DVRMS files. Seems DVRMS support was inadvertently dropped in builds 40 and 41. This has been corrected and the latest version of comskip (80_042) will process DVRMS files. So if you do upgrade to 1.2.2.4, make sure you go get the latest comskip. I have tested this and is working for me. From the comskip changelog:

Changes in 0.80.042
- Repaired a bug that caused build 40 and 41 to fail on dvr-ms. Do NOT use build 40 and 41 on dvr-ms

Oh, and dont forget to add this line to the new comskip.ini:

output_dvrmstb=1

BTW, thanks for the great profile Winter!
post #45 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdmalek View Post

...BTW, thanks for the great profile Winter!


glad you like it and it works for you! All I did was adapt the profile and write the instructions so I could remember how I did it, please consider contributing to the author of comskip and the author of DVRMStoolbox if you have not already done so....

From what I understand comskip author Erik is close to releasing the version with native WTV support. I hope my profile becomes obsolete soon...
post #46 of 47
Just thought I'd ask if anything new has been updated with regards to comskip in mce7
post #47 of 47
The latest early-access build was issued Feb 12 and works well for me so far. Dont know when it will be released though. Keep watching the comskip web site.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › What are you guys using to remove commercials in Win7?