or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Tech Talk › Dynamic Edge LED vs. Full Array w/ Local Dimming
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dynamic Edge LED vs. Full Array w/ Local Dimming

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
Is there a noticeable difference between Dynamic Edge LED and Full Array LED w/ Local Dimming without placing them side by side. The two models I'm looking at are the Sony HX800 and HX909. Please don't give specific comparisons between the two product, but instead the two back-lighting types

-Cheers
post #2 of 26
Thread Starter 
C'mon people I need some help here.
P.S. I heard about a new technology from Sony. It's called Intelligent Peak LED. What is this? Does it use RGB or White LEDs. Is this any better than the LED technologies mentioned in my previous post?
post #3 of 26
My understanding is that all LED/LCD are poor for 3D because they are prone to ghosting.
post #4 of 26
RGB LED + thin LC layer sounds as good as DLP.

White LED sounds no good.
post #5 of 26
Thread Starter 
No. You don't understand my question. My question is:
Is Dynamic Edge LED better or Full Array w/ local dimming?
I'm not asking white LED or RGB LED.
post #6 of 26
type this in google (LED-backlit LCD television) second link for wikipedia.
I would advise to see if this can give you some more clearification to the decision you need to make. As for Sony describing there new tvs having dynamic edge led technology. Just sounds like they have changed what originally was all white led lights on the edge of the display to now having the RGB led lights on the edge. Gives you a more true white light for deeper blacks. But after reading the above link you should be able to see what is in your opinion the pros and cons for even thinking to go lcd only or with led technologies.
hope this reached you before you made your choice.

Hey guys/gals let me know if my info is wrong?
post #7 of 26
RGB back/ edge lighting does away with the RGB subpixel strips if done right , and you get the extra color gamut and other benefits ( pulsed operation). If Sony had it , they'd be all over it.

As I said white LED sounds no good to me.
post #8 of 26
Thread Starter 
oh and by the way is a head mounted display good for 3d motion gaming like this one:
http://www.tdvision.com/tdvisor.php
post #9 of 26
Thread Starter 
Come on people I need some help here!!!!!!!!!!! I'm in areal crisis right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikinan View Post

Come on people I need some help here!!!!!!!!!!! I'm in areal crisis right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would get the full array over the dynamic edge lit. Most of the edge lit TVs I have seen looks like the have the flash light effect in the corners and uneven lighting across the screen.
post #11 of 26
Thread Starter 
What about a good Head Mounted Display? Is it a good alternate to a 3D TV for gaming with my PS3.
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikinan View Post

What about a good Head Mounted Display? Is it a good alternate to a 3D TV for gaming with my PS3.

I would just stick with a 3d tv either active or passive.
post #13 of 26
Local zone dimming with LED backlighting is generally better than edge lighting because it provide much more effective local dimming. Edge lighting has become popular only because it allows for the ultra thin displays.
post #14 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanbenn View Post

I would just stick with a 3d tv either active or passive.

No, I want to create a virtual reality effect with PS3, Killzone 3, PS Move, and the sharpshooter gun attachment. Wouldn't a head mounted display give a better effect than a 3D TV because in HMDs you feel like your in the game but with 3D TVs, it's just stuff popping off the screen. What would you say?
post #15 of 26
Thread Starter 
Oh! What about a 3D Projector. Are 3D projectors better than 3D TVs
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikinan View Post
No, I want to create a virtual reality effect with PS3, Killzone 3, PS Move, and the sharpshooter gun attachment. Wouldn't a head mounted display give a better effect than a 3D TV because in HMDs you feel like your in the game but with 3D TVs, it's just stuff popping off the screen. What would you say?
In theory this would seem cool, but I could only imagine the horrid problems with input lag as well as calibrating the sharpshooter...

I have a Sammy 8000 series LED TV w/ 3D, a PS3, KZ3, PS Move, and the sharpshooter attachment. I have attempted to calibrate the gun with the 3D enabled and it just won't perform well. Multiple attempts, multiple setups. Still laggy and unresponsive. The best results are with the 3D off, and game mode on.

Again, your idea sounds great and really cool for a game nerd like myself, but I just don't see it working as well as you are hoping.
post #17 of 26
Full array w/ local dimming is better than edge lit. As mentioned earlier, the only real benefit of edge lit is for thinner displays. For PQ, local dimming provides better intrascene contrast and hides clouding. But when it comes to 3D, I'm not sure if any of the active full array sets do local dimming in 3D mode. The Sony 909 sets the backlight to maximum and changes the backlight algorithm to create a scanning backlight effect to reduce crosstalk. The new passive 3D sets don't need to do the latter so they may provide local dimming in 3D mode.

THe HMD idea for PS3 gaming sounds like it could cause serious nausea though. Also, if you can't see your room, you may get out of range of the ps eye camera.
post #18 of 26
Thread Starter 
What about hd 3d dlp projectors. I'm thinking of getting the InFocus IN3116 or the optoma gametime gt720. Are projectors a good alternate to tvs for gaming. ambient lighting is not an issue. I've noticed that there isn't a huge difference between 1080p and 720p on tvs but what about on projectors projecting a 100in image. I have question. Are single chip dlp projectors good for gaming. I heard they are prone to the rainbow effect but is that also true with the brilliant color technology. what would you recommend for ps3 gaming, the infocus or the optoma gametime. Please answer quickly!!!!
post #19 of 26
yeah, single chip is very good for gaming, but ps3 is not good for 3d, for 3d gaming you want smooth 60fps per eye , and the most brightness . 3d is about brightness now. So projection screen is even more important than which DLP you buy. No rainbow effect / color breakup is visible btw.
post #20 of 26
As for 720p vs 1080p you will notice a difference but the wow factor will still be there. So, you could do the 3d projector thing and be fine. If ambient light isn't a concern like you already mentioned, then just about any of the models will work fine. Just find a screen that has a good high gain ratio. You will need one that is rated for 3d. The easiest way is to search for 3d projector screens.

Now for the other question regarding if it is a good alrenative. Well, that depends on how you look at things. I think that 3d is meant to be seen in big format. That means in excess of 65" ( your largest LCD quality 3D HDTV available, and it's not cheap). You can accomplish a much larger size for a lot less than the price tag of this particular TV ($6000). So, yes in that respect. However, quality will surely only show through a good
3D HDTV that can do 1080p or if you've got the cash a dual projection 3D system which won't work for you in this case because the PS3 can't do dual projection. I think for the average person you will do fine for now with 720p until an affordable 1080p 120hz projector is available.
post #21 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalJman View Post

As for 720p vs 1080p you will notice a difference but the wow factor will still be there. So, you could do the 3d projector thing and be fine. If ambient light isn't a concern like you already mentioned, then just about any of the models will work fine. Just find a screen that has a good high gain ratio. You will need one that is rated for 3d. The easiest way is to search for 3d projector screens.

Now for the other question regarding if it is a good alrenative. Well, that depends on how you look at things. I think that 3d is meant to be seen in big format. That means in excess of 65" ( your largest LCD quality 3D HDTV available, and it's not cheap). You can accomplish a much larger size for a lot less than the price tag of this particular TV ($6000). So, yes in that respect. However, quality will surely only show through a good
3D HDTV that can do 1080p or if you've got the cash a dual projection 3D system which won't work for you in this case because the PS3 can't do dual projection. I think for the average person you will do fine for now with 720p until an affordable 1080p 120hz projector is available.

Thanks for the great reply man!!!
I wanted to ask if I were to build a DIY HMD, then should I use two pico projectors or two microdisplays. Which one would be a better bet cost/quality wise?
post #22 of 26
If you are trying to create a VR like 3D experience, one in which you can really use the move and the PS3, you should go with a Projector then (passive 3D).

I hear LG has a good 3D projector worth looking into.

As for head mounted, thats still a long ways off. Dont bother with any gimmicks you see out there right now.
post #23 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDay View Post

If you are trying to create a VR like 3D experience, one in which you can really use the move and the PS3, you should go with a Projector then (passive 3D).

I hear LG has a good 3D projector worth looking into.

As for head mounted, thats still a long ways off. Dont bother with any gimmicks you see out there right now.

That's too bad cuz I was gonna build a really good HMD for around $6,000
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikinan View Post

No. You don't understand my question. My question is:
Is Dynamic Edge LED better or Full Array w/ local dimming?
I'm not asking white LED or RGB LED.


THE FULL ARRAY LED is sooo better than Dynamic edge led

Why????

 

Because the full array has the full array of leds behind the display

and de dynamic edge led only has the leds in the frames of the display EDGES

 

with the full array you will have more deeper blacks comparated with the dynamic edge led

the meaning of Dynamic is that in bright áreas the above leds or below leds in the display edge will be turn on

 

In the full array the behind display leds will be turn on in the especific bright área causing more deep black levels around the bright área without generating that annoying halo of light around the bright área of the image. comparated with de Edge led

post #25 of 26
this thread was almost 3 years old. why resurrect it?
post #26 of 26
Resurrect it so people can know how much edge lit truly sucks.

The Sales Force doesn't want people knowing how bad edge lit LCD is because that way they can sell more of them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: 3D Tech Talk
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Tech Talk › Dynamic Edge LED vs. Full Array w/ Local Dimming