Originally Posted by Ghpr13
This has to be a decision base on money only. I think they know that this movie appeal was to young men and feel that these young men wouldn't have a 3DTV setup, so an Anaglyph 3D DVD would be the best way to make the most money on this movie.
I understand that the point is to make money, but a decision to not even offer a 3D BD of this movie makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when thinking of how much will Hollywood support 3D this time around? And I'm still scratching my head about why Avatar, the movie that really started this new push for 3D, was never released as a 3D BD until now, and with such a limited deal...
Hollywood's support for 3D BD has been a total cluster*^&% as far as I am concerned (
). There is very little support at all. At CES 2011, only a single studio announced their plans for 3D BD for 2011 - Disney. Not a peep from the other studios. Paramount and Dreamworks Animation titles are strictly CEM exclusives.
The reason why Avatar is a Panasonic exclusive is because Panasonic was heavily involved in the production of the movie. Call it part of their payment for services rendered.
I've got two questions for you thread subs:
1) What do you think would have happened if Avatar would have failed at the box office, and how much did the hype before the movie ever came out helped to make it a box office success?
As far as the success of 3D in theaters? Because Avatar was released late in the year, it only generated approx. $220M in 3D BO revenue for 2009. The total BO 3D revenue for 2009 was a bit over $1B. In 2008, it wan't even $200M:http://www.mpaa.org/Resources/091af5...5466c1c5e5.pdf
I think that much of the "hype" as you call it was for James Cameron's return to movie making. And the promise of "3D as you have never seen it before."
2) How far can 3DTV go into the future if a way to broadcast it OTA for free isn't figured out?
When HDTV arrived in 1997, it was only availabe on OTA. Neither CBL nor SAT had any HD content. Just the promise to provide it in the future. Now with 3DTV, 3D content is available on every content delivery method except OTA. I believe (???) approx 17% of all USA Households get their TV from OTA. The other 83% get it from "pay" TV (CBL/SAT/TELCO)
3DTV via OTA is a problem. The networks are going to have to once again add costly hardware with no gain in revenue. They went through this with HDTV not that long ago. The CEMs had to sponsor TV shows in HD to help them offset the cost of upgrading - something they don't do on a regular basis.
Producing 3D TV content today is very costly because you need two of everything. They went through this also with the transition to HDTV until they figured out how to have one of everything (HD) and downconvert to SD as needed. If they can't do this with 3D (down convert to HD and SD) we probably won't see any 3D TV coming from OTA.
IMO, the success of 3DTV will not depend on OTA (nor 3D BD for that matter.) CBL/SA/TELCO will be able to sustain it.