or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › New ranges of Monoprice screens seem to be coming soon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New ranges of Monoprice screens seem to be coming soon - Page 16

post #451 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougl99 View Post

I purchased in late August and finally hung in late October. Had framers fir it in and then rocked and painted. I noticed wrinkles in the bottom corners, but since I still didn't have my room ready, no big deal. The remote stopped working in January when I was showing a buddy. No big deal, rooms not ready. Two weeks ago the whole thing quit working. The screen has only been down so I could show off about 10x. I verified voltage to the board. All good. Called Monoprice. 1hr and 51 minutes later.....must be defective, send it back. All I need is the board. Too bad, send it back. Trouble shooting from MP was non-existent. Only advice was to try another outlet (even though I told him I had voltage). 3rd rep said he would send out new screen and I could rob parts. I then rec'd an email w/ RMA#. I questioned this and haven't heard back. Hopefully they will send me a screen. I have carpet going in tomorrow and my onkyo receiver, ascend speakers, rhythmic sub and panny blu-ray are on the way. I cancelled the PJ for now and am ordering a Sharp 70" until this gets resolved. After a year of construction, very disappointing.

Monoprice sent me an entire new screen to rob the part I needed. Not the best way to go. 10 minutes, three phillips head screws and two modular plugs later I swapped the boards and was good to go. Any other situation and I probably would have been happy with a completely new product. Uninstalling this one would have been a large project compared to replacing a board. Kudos to MP for doing what they did under the circumstances. After a few weeks of me not returning the screen (they shipped it w/o requiring any payment) they sent a call tag from the freight company.

I have adjusted out some of the waves and while not completely satified with the outcome, it is very difficult to see while watching a movie...looks much worse with the lights on...and not worth uninstalling. Maybe move up my upgrade date.

This is a 133" motorized ceiling recessed screen using an Epson 3010.
post #452 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougl99 View Post

I have adjusted out some of the waves and while not completely satified with the outcome, it is very difficult to see while watching a movie...looks much worse with the lights on...and not worth uninstalling. Maybe move up my upgrade date.

This is a 133" motorized ceiling recessed screen using an Epson 3010.

Did you try a hairdryer on the waves yet? Another member had success with that. I have meaning to try it on my multi-format, but have not found the time or energy to take the screen back down yet.
post #453 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post

Did you try a hairdryer on the waves yet? Another member had success with that. I have meaning to try it on my multi-format, but have not found the time or energy to take the screen back down yet.

Haven't tried the hair dryer.

It seems if I could just add a small amount of weight to the ends of the bottom bar, the waves would go away. But easier said than done and probably not real attractive.
post #454 of 573
When the screen is down try lifting the bottom bar up a little, like if your doing a curl up on the bar. Then let it back down, let me know if that worked.
post #455 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes View Post

When the screen is down try lifting the bottom bar up a little, like if your doing a curl up on the bar. Then let it back down, let me know if that worked.

Tried it. No change.

Any idea if there is a way to "un"tighten the tension adjustment knobs. They only turn clockwise to tight the string. I was wanting to loosen it up and start over.
post #456 of 573
You should be able to turn it counter clockwise to loosen. That is thats how I do it with my Vapex tensioned screen.
post #457 of 573
How does the Monoprice fixed screens compare to a DIY using BOC. What's the material like on the Monoprice screens?
post #458 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1der View Post

How does the Monoprice fixed screens compare to a DIY using BOC. What's the material like on the Monoprice screens?

I would also like to know. Thanks!
post #459 of 573
Does anyone have a video of the masking system in action? Someone actually manually moving the masks in place and removing them?

Thanks!
post #460 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivart321 View Post

Does anyone have a video of the masking system in action? Someone actually manually moving the masks in place and removing them?

Thanks!

I'll see about making one for you.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
post #461 of 573
I doubt it BUT does anyone know if any of the monoprice screens retain polarization? Simply put a cheap (Real D) pair of 3D glasses on your head and use another pair and shine your projector through one of the glasses lenses as if your eye is the projector. Now do you notice when you close one eye does the image get darker on the screen?
post #462 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivart321 View Post

Does anyone have a video of the masking system in action? Someone actually manually moving the masks in place and removing them?
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post

I'll see about making one for you.

Took a while, but here is a video of the masking system in action:



Edited by slybarman - 7/22/12 at 12:54pm
post #463 of 573
Awesome. That was helpful. I have manual masks that I can put in place now, but this is a much more elegant solution and doesn't require me to store the velvet wrapped masks anywhere.

Thanks for taking the time to make a video!
post #464 of 573
You are welcome. Glad it helps.
post #465 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post

Took a while, but here is a video of the masking system in action:

Thanks for the video! Could you tell us how the screen is mounted to the frame? Snaps? Tension pocket with rod? or what?
post #466 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

Thanks for the video! Could you tell us how the screen is mounted to the frame? Snaps? Tension pocket with rod? or what?

A rod goes into a pocket along each edge of the screen material. Springs are then spaced all around holding each rod to the frame and tensioning the material - though not enough I think in my case.
post #467 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post

A rod goes into a pocket along each edge of the screen material. Springs are then spaced all around holding each rod to the frame and tensioning the material - though not enough I think in my case.

I take it by your comment that your screen has some wrinkles. Are you able to tension the screen more by shortening the springs? This screen really interests me due to the multi-format function. Thanks.
post #468 of 573
I had considered buying some shorter springs, but never did. Another member posted that he was able to remove wrinkes from the screen with a hair dryer set on low to shrink the screen material slightly. I intend to try that approach this winter sometime.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
post #469 of 573
Hello Everyone...just thought I would touch base with the owners of these screens to see what their long terms thoughts are. I'm looking for a screen and this seems to be a great value...I'm a "measure twice, cut once" kinda guy.
Edited by JoeBoy73 - 10/14/12 at 9:34pm
post #470 of 573
Boy am I glad you bumped this thread. I just ordered the 106" multi-format in white.

I'm pumped!
post #471 of 573
Awesome Shizzle....can't wait to hear you thoughts!
post #472 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzlenits View Post

Boy am I glad you bumped this thread. I just ordered the 106" multi-format in white.
I'm pumped!

Congrats! May I ask what projector are you going to use with this screen?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoy73 View Post

Awesome Shizzle....can't wait to hear you thoughts!

+1

Could you please share some pics as well?
post #473 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzlenits View Post

Boy am I glad you bumped this thread. I just ordered the 106" multi-format in white.
I'm pumped!
Pleeeeeeease post your impressions of this screen. This is the exact screen I am contemplating. I am especially curious how tight and smooth the screen material comes out since some have expressed issues with wrinkles. Thanks.
post #474 of 573
I have the 106" with the grey screen. For this size, the screen pulls tight with no wrinkles on mine. I have replaced it with the SI 108" zero edge however. I loved the ability to change the aspect on this screen and wish I could convert the screen to the SI screen. Despite what they claim, it needs masking.
post #475 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by trgraphics View Post

I have the 106" with the grey screen. For this size, the screen pulls tight with no wrinkles on mine. I have replaced it with the SI 108" zero edge however. I loved the ability to change the aspect on this screen and wish I could convert the screen to the SI screen. Despite what they claim, it needs masking.

Could you please elaborate a bit more on "Despite what they claim, it needs masking."?

Thanks in advance!
post #476 of 573
I was refering to the SI screen. I can still see the greyish black bars on scope material and after getting used to the adjustable aspect of the monoprice, it's hard to get used to seeing those again.
post #477 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by trgraphics View Post

I was refering to the SI screen. I can still see the greyish black bars on scope material and after getting used to the adjustable aspect of the monoprice, it's hard to get used to seeing those again.

Oh, OK and thanks for your clarification.

I know that you already replaced the Monoprice screen, but I would like to hear your impressions on this screen. I'm planning on buying one in the near future and I really like the fact that you can use it in two different formats.

Looking forward to read your impression.
post #478 of 573
I was very pleased with the monoprice grey screen in 2d. I have a dual Benq W7000 setup and even with that for 3d the grey screen just wasn't bright enough for 3d. My setup is in my family room and I prefer not to watch movies or sports in total darkness. That's the only reason I went with the 1.4 gain SI screen.

The adjustable height aspect worked extremely well on my monoprice. Others have said they had problems, but I never did over the 6 months I used it.

If you don't have to deal with room lights, I would highly recommend the monoprice. The adjustable aspect makes a big difference while watching scope movies.
post #479 of 573
Is it true that smaller electric screen (such as 92") is impossible to get V pattern in the long run?
post #480 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by trgraphics View Post

I was very pleased with the monoprice grey screen in 2d. I have a dual Benq W7000 setup and even with that for 3d the grey screen just wasn't bright enough for 3d. My setup is in my family room and I prefer not to watch movies or sports in total darkness. That's the only reason I went with the 1.4 gain SI screen.
The adjustable height aspect worked extremely well on my monoprice. Others have said they had problems, but I never did over the 6 months I used it.
If you don't have to deal with room lights, I would highly recommend the monoprice. The adjustable aspect makes a big difference while watching scope movies.

Thanks for the input trgraphics. I want to get the 106" mulitformat in white for my dedicated home theater (complete light control). I like the multi use of the white screen as opposed to the grey. Would your recommend the monoprice 106 in white for my primary use (movies in light controlled environment)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Screens
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › New ranges of Monoprice screens seem to be coming soon