or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › New ranges of Monoprice screens seem to be coming soon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New ranges of Monoprice screens seem to be coming soon - Page 17

post #481 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzlenits View Post

Boy am I glad you bumped this thread. I just ordered the 106" multi-format in white.
I'm pumped!
So....did you get your screen?
post #482 of 573
Thanks for all the posts.

My PJ is a Sony VW-85. Previously using a StudioTek 130 at 120" diagonal 16:9 in a dark room. Need to go down to 106" diagonal max. Watch a fair amount of HDTV so planning on another 16:9, although the manual Multi-Format is a nice option.

Most of my viewing is after dark & my room has light colored walls with some minor light seepage from a couple of doorways. Was considering a SI BD with 1.4 gain but $$$. What are thoughts about the Monoprice 0.8 Grey vs the 1.0 White.

Since my screen size will be going down to 106 would the image with the 0.8 Grey be significantly different than my 1.3 gain at 120" diagonal? I'm thinking the Grey would help my lack of light control.

Any thoughts?
post #483 of 573
Any news or more opinions/updates from those that have gotten these? I am looking to pull the trigger on the 120" Multi-Format White but wanted some feedback.
post #484 of 573
I just recently learned of the Monoprice Multi-Format screens. Any more recent feedback? And/or what other brands have a similar feature?
post #485 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperco View Post

I just recently learned of the Monoprice Multi-Format screens. Any more recent feedback? And/or what other brands have a similar feature?

I have the 120' Multi Format. its a 1.2 gain screen. Love it.
post #486 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neowulf View Post

I have the 120' Multi Format. its a 1.2 gain screen. Love it.

Do you mind to share further details on how the masking works? I mean, it is really easy to move, do you have to use both hands to pull it up or down?

Any issue during the ensemble process? Any chance you can post some pics for us?

Thanks in advance!
post #487 of 573
Just to clarify; Is the 120" multi-format Monoprice screen 1.2 gain? It is listed as a 1.0 gain screen on the website. I hope it is 1.2 gain as I would prefer something higher than 1.0 for that size. Please clarify.
post #488 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve*MH View Post

Just to clarify; Is the 120" multi-format Monoprice screen 1.2 gain? It is listed as a 1.0 gain screen on the website. I hope it is 1.2 gain as I would prefer something higher than 1.0 for that size. Please clarify.

It is listed as 1.0 but many folks have pointed out that it feels like 1.2. It is def bright to me.

Taken with a crappy Iphone from 10 feet away

post #489 of 573
The screen looks good. Is there a way to "measure" the gain of a screen? I do need a gain of at least 1.2 for my throw distance and size of 120".
Thanks.
post #490 of 573
My friend has the 120 multi-format Monoprice screen with 1.0 gain with a JVC rs-45 looks great. Will be my next upgrade. Anoughter friend of mine is buying my DIY 120inch and I'm going to upgrade to the Monoprice. Even with my HD20 it should make a nice difrence on precived contrast with the masking bars. I can't wait to get one.
post #491 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neowulf View Post

It is listed as 1.0 but many folks have pointed out that it feels like 1.2. It is def bright to me.

Taken with a crappy Iphone from 10 feet away


So, what do you do in movies with multi-aspect ratio? I mean, movies like The Dark Knight and TDKR? To you keep it in the 16:9 aspect ratio or do you go with the 2.40:1 and ignore the image spill when the movie switch to 16:9?

Do you mind to post a couple of pics while projecting a 2.40:1 movie?
post #492 of 573
Just pulled the trigger on the 106" Multi Format white. Two things pushed me over the edge - the gray bars when watching 2.35:1 (just this evening), and the discovery of a 20% off coupon that I didn't want to wait to see if it expires soon (INCENTIVE). I'll keep you all posted smile.gif
post #493 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperco View Post

Just pulled the trigger on the 106" Multi Format white. Two things pushed me over the edge - the gray bars when watching 2.35:1 (just this evening), and the discovery of a 20% off coupon that I didn't want to wait to see if it expires soon (INCENTIVE). I'll keep you all posted smile.gif

Where did that coupon code come from? It isn't valid for my account.


edit. 20% coupon promo is still valid, expires 1/31/2013. I was already subscribed and its currently not working for me.

http://www.monoprice.com/home/promo.asp?pn=newsletter_incentive_lp&ui=147906&utm_source=incentive_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=sign_up&utm_campaign=incentive_q4_2012&ref=cj
Edited by Sir_Q - 1/20/13 at 9:29pm
post #494 of 573
Maybe you used the coupon on a previous order?
post #495 of 573
Got it! Love it!

Here are some pictures of the build etc. : https://picasaweb.google.com/hiperco/Monoprice106MultiformatScreenWhite?authuser=0&feat=directlink

In a hurry now, will post back more details later smile.gif

EDIT: As promised, more details:

- Overall I am very pleased with this screen, although I have yet to do anything other than "demo" viewing of it. Will watch a full movie later today.
- The screen material surface is good with no sheen or hotspotting. I would guess the gain is slightly higher than 1.0.
- I do like the masking system (which is good since thats the main reason I bought it).
- The mounting bracket "belts" were mounted twisted, I had to untwist.
- The shipping charge is probably appropriate, they had to ship this 9 foot, 100 pound box across the country, and then roll an 18 wheeler to my house...


Packaging: *****
- Very well packaged. Triple boxed.

Construction (Frame): *****
- One piece aluminum frame rails, solidly connected.
- Solid mounting system (but see next comment).
- CONS: Mounting system has metric spacing, with no holes on 16" centers (you could add holes if needed of course). My wall is paneling, with enough thickness that putting just the centers on a stud gives it enough support. Mounting this to drywall would be a challenge.

Assembly Instruction: *
- Really, how hard is it to make useful instructions. There are some errors, and half the total time I spent was making sure you know how it is supposed to work. Had I had access to the pictures I created it would have gone faster
Edited by hiperco - 1/26/13 at 12:50pm
post #496 of 573
looking good.
post #497 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

So, what do you do in movies with multi-aspect ratio? I mean, movies like The Dark Knight and TDKR? To you keep it in the 16:9 aspect ratio or do you go with the 2.40:1 and ignore the image spill when the movie switch to 16:9?

Do you mind to post a couple of pics while projecting a 2.40:1 movie?

Ill look into getting that picture btw. Sorry, all I have is an IPhone. As far as what it looks like with 2.40:1, it looks like 16:9.. With Multi Aspect, I just deal with my black bars (I have a JVC RS46 so it looks fine without masking (not as good but fine).
post #498 of 573
How do you like it in comparison to your DIY screen. I have the same kind of DYI screen as you and was wonder how you think it compares? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperco View Post

Got it! Love it!

Here are some pictures of the build etc. : https://picasaweb.google.com/hiperco/Monoprice106MultiformatScreenWhite?authuser=0&feat=directlink

In a hurry now, will post back more details later smile.gif

EDIT: As promised, more details:

- Overall I am very pleased with this screen, although I have yet to do anything other than "demo" viewing of it. Will watch a full movie later today.
- The screen material surface is good with no sheen or hotspotting. I would guess the gain is slightly higher than 1.0.
- I do like the masking system (which is good since thats the main reason I bought it).
- The mounting bracket "belts" were mounted twisted, I had to untwist.
- The shipping charge is probably appropriate, they had to ship this 9 foot, 100 pound box across the country, and then roll an 18 wheeler to my house...


Packaging: *****
- Very well packaged. Triple boxed.

Construction (Frame): *****
- One piece aluminum frame rails, solidly connected.
- Solid mounting system (but see next comment).
- CONS: Mounting system has metric spacing, with no holes on 16" centers (you could add holes if needed of course). My wall is paneling, with enough thickness that putting just the centers on a stud gives it enough support. Mounting this to drywall would be a challenge.

Assembly Instruction: *
- Really, how hard is it to make useful instructions. There are some errors, and half the total time I spent was making sure you know how it is supposed to work. Had I had access to the pictures I created it would have gone faster
post #499 of 573
Can someone that has the Monoprice 120" multi-format post the exact measurements for the length and height? I am recessing the screen in a wall so I just want to be sure I allow enough clearance before the drywall goes up. smile.gif
post #500 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesVG81 View Post

How do you like it in comparison to your DIY screen. I have the same kind of DYI screen as you and was wonder how you think it compares? Thanks

I like it better than the Wilsonart Designer White, I suspect due to a little lower gain. The DW screen gain was a bit too much for my Epson 3020.
post #501 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by heywilliam View Post

Can someone that has the Monoprice 120" multi-format post the exact measurements for the length and height? I am recessing the screen in a wall so I just want to be sure I allow enough clearance before the drywall goes up. smile.gif

I think the measurements here are accurate (but please don't blame me as I have the 106" redface.gif )

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10829&cs_id=1082910&p_id=7969&seq=1&format=3#specification

Viewing Area: 1494mm Height x 2656mm Width to 1130mm Height x 2656mm Width

Border Dimensions: 100mm Top x 100mm Bottom x 100mm Left x 100mm Right

Total Screen Length: 2856mm


MY CALC: TOTAL SCREEN HEIGHT=1494+200=1694mm
post #502 of 573
Lots of talk of the white version, anyone with first hand knowledge of the gray multi format screen?
post #503 of 573
Folks in this thread mentioned that this Monoprice multi-format screen is made by Grandview Screens right? I had a chat with Monoprice trying to buy the 92" version of it, which they don't stock, and the rep repeatedly said they make their own screens.... Hmmm

TS - Mike M : Hi Nick,
TS - Mike M : Thank you for contacting Monoprice Technical Support.
TS - Mike M : My name is Mike M. Give me a moment while I review your question.
TS - Mike M : How are you doing today Nick?
Nick: great, u
TS - Mike M : I'm great thank you. You can place that order directly through Monoprice.
Nick: you don't carry it on your website
Nick: 92" version of this:
Nick: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10829&cs_id=1082910&p_id=7968&seq=1&format=2
TS - Mike M : Thje smallest we offer is the 106
Nick: your vendor for that is Grandview Screens right?
TS - Mike M : We manufacture all of our own items.
Nick: even for this multi-format screen? I had heard for this particular screen, it is from Grandview Screens
TS - Mike M : No sir we manufacture our own items.
Nick: ok, 106" wont' fit. thanks anyway
TS - Mike M : Truly sorry for any inconvenience it may cause you.
Nick: no worries. thanks
post #504 of 573
As I posted earlier in thread, I think it is unlikely they are made BY Grandview, I think it more likely monoprice and Grandview buy from the same supplier in China.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk.
post #505 of 573
Looks like these screens are in the same price range as the Elite screens.

Anyone has experience with both the Monoprice and the Elite screens?

Thanks!
post #506 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post

As I posted earlier in thread, I think it is unlikely they are made BY Grandview, I think it more likely monoprice and Grandview buy from the same supplier in China.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk.

Semantics. Don't think monoprice manufactures anything, just like Apple does not manufacture iphones. I think most people in this thread are referring to a Grandview design, which monoprices likely licensed.
post #507 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

Looks like these screens are in the same price range as the Elite screens.

Anyone has experience with both the Monoprice and the Elite screens?

Thanks!

You are in luck. I just replaced my 4-month-old Elite screen with a Monoprice screen. The ins and outs of each are fresh in my head. Any specific questions I can answer?
post #508 of 573
Great timing. I'm thinking I want the mono price screen but was considering the Elite....couple questions:
1) size/color of each
2) fixed or multi format on the monoprice?
3) what drove you to switch after only 4 months?
4) are you happy you switched?
5) any cons of the monoprice screen?

Any other comments comparing the two would be great! Thanks!
post #509 of 573
I wish they had Higher gains, like 1.4 , trying to put up a 150" on a 2.35:1 format with a viewing distance of 14 feet, mounted 16 - 17 feet back.. Love to use this with a Panasonic AE-8000 if possible. What you think?
post #510 of 573
Alright, here are all my thoughts and comparisons -- surely it’ll cover everything anyone deciding between them wants to know. This turned out to be a novel, but… haha, it’s ok, I was actually imagining writing something like this as I put the Monoprice screen together. Glad to see there’s already an audience for it.

There are definitely pros and cons of each, from the shipping to assembly to hanging. The reason I switched was to go from 16:9 to 2.35:1, not for any reason of quality or disappointment in the Elite. The Elite was 120” fixed white 1.1 gain. It is a great screen and I was very happy with the quality. The fabric was perfect with no shiny spots or anything. The only flaw was a couple spots in the velvet “spray” on the frame, but I never paid it any attention after it was assembled and hanging on the wall since it wasn’t part of the picture. They were only bothersome as I was examining the parts when pulling stuff out of the box.

The top and bottom frames are split in two, and while this sounds like a concession for cheaper shipping, once it’s assembled you can’t tell at all that it’s connected in the middle. They look like one piece. After the frame is together, tensioning the screen material is a tedious process. There are a million tabs you have to put in place while pulling the material. You have to stretch it quite a bit, but once it’s done there are absolutely no wrinkles, the material is perfectly flat. Your thumbs will be sore from putting in all the tabs. Side note: while perfectly adequate, the rods you slide into the material edge to hook under the tabs, are plastic.

After the fabric is tensioned, you put an aluminum vertical spreader bar in the middle to make the middle height the same as the edges. This allows the screen to be hung only from the top, which is a good thing. The hanging brackets are great, and very simple. Two short brackets screwed into the wall and you’re done. They both support the top edge of the screen, French-cleat style. The sides of the black frame end up being tight to the wall all around. Looks very clean.

The box was 5ft long, weighed 35-40 lbs, and Fedex or UPS dropped it on my front doorstep no problem.
Cost was $315 on Amazon with free shipping. A bargain for how nice the screen is.

----

On to the Monoprice screen. I got the 150” 2.35:1 fixed white 1.0 gain. This maintained the same height that I had with the 120” 16:9 screen. First off, Monoprice charges for shipping, which ran me $165. Worse still, is that the top and bottom rails are one piece, so the box was 12 ft long. Sure, this is nicer in the end when installed (although arguable since the Elite really looked seamless) but the long pieces make shipping a nightmare. In addition to the $165, I had to deal with the drama of the driver not wanting to come down my street because he was in an 18-wheeler. The person on the phone setting up the delivery 2 days before didn’t offer me anything but a big rig, but then the driver really complained and all but lectured me on not requesting a smaller truck. They should give you all the options when setting up the delivery, not just offer a big rig. It sounded like “big rig or nothing.” If you want your stuff, that’s how it’s gonna come. Another example of UPS making life difficult…

Anyway, so the assembly of the Monoprice is actually easier, because you slide in little plastic “chess pawns” into a channel in the back of the frame rails, and then slide in metal (vs plastic) rods into the edges of the screen material. You then simply hook the metal rods over the pawns and that gives the material its tension. There have been previous posts about there not being enough tension with the Monoprice screens, but I found it plenty adequate. There are no wrinkles in my screen at all. I stretched it horizontally first and it was all I could do with the strength in my fingers. I was really afraid it would tear.

The hanging brackets are more complicated. There is a long one for both the top *and* bottom. The weight of the screen rests about 1” away from the wall rather than right tight to the wall like the Elite bracket, so make sure it’s screwed on tight. Also, because there is no vertical stretcher bar, the bottom bracket is supposed to space out the middle of the screen to the proper height. This puts even more strain on the top bracket. After it’s hung, the black frame isn’t tight to the wall like the Elite, but I’m just mentioning that for comparison, it’s not a big deal in the end. You can slide your fingers behind the frame with the Monoprice. Also, forgot to mention… the Monoprice frame pieces are noticeably heavier than the Elite, due to I believe material thickness and width.

I find the velvet coating on the Monoprice frame of better quality, and there are no flaws whatsoever. The frame itself is about 3/4--1” wider than the Elite, but both look proportionate. The screen material is pretty comparable, as it looks like the same texture on close inspection. The Elite material was better protected in the packaging however, carefully rolled good side “in” with a piece of paper rolled in with it. The Monoprice material was rolled good side “out” with no paper and plastic slid over it. It may be unrelated to the packing method, but my *only* complaint about the Monoprice material is that there’s a slight shiny vertical line just to the right of center, about a foot high. It’s rarely noticeable, and only visible in really bright scenes, but once you know it’s there…. (Not worth trying to exchange anything though).

----

So all in all, both are great screens, and anyone considering them would be happy with either. Your choice can depend on the size and aspect ratio you’re looking for. The 120” 16:9 was cheaper with the Elite than Monoprice, and the big 2.35:1 was cheaper with Monoprice than Elite. Also, Monoprice offered a 150" 235, the exact size I needed. Elite only comes in 138 and 158 within that area.

Summing up the pros and cons:

Elite Pros:
Small box, free shipping from Amazon
Well packaged screen material rolled with paper
Easy, simple hanging brackets
Cheaper in 16:9 format

Elite Cons:
Tedious to assemble
Two-piece top and bottom rail
Narrower frame looks less proportionate the bigger size you get
Velvet frame coating lower quality
More expensive in 2.35 format

Monoprice Pros:
Cheaper for 2.35 format
One-piece top and bottom frames – heavier gauge aluminum
Easier to assemble

Monoprice Cons:
Expensive, UPS Freight shipping
Screen material not packaged as carefully
More complicated hanging brackets
More expensive for 16:9 format
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Screens
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › New ranges of Monoprice screens seem to be coming soon