or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › New ranges of Monoprice screens seem to be coming soon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New ranges of Monoprice screens seem to be coming soon - Page 4

post #91 of 573
I find using a tripod and the shutter release timer necessary to get decent photos. Otherwise th camera is not still enough to get a clear photo. And no flash either.
post #92 of 573
So I received and unpacked my 130" fixed-frame 2.35:1 white screen from Monoprice yesterday. I didn't have MUCH time to look at it yet, but from what I see, the frame is very well built and solid. The velvet covering is professionally done and clean cut. I'll likely be installing the screen this weekend, so I'll take pics as I go along.

The screen was very well packaged. UPS Freight managed to push a couple holes in the box but since there was an inner box, the screen was protected from damage.

Hopefully, I'll get the screen up and I'll be able to project some 1080p images from my Panasonic AE4000 this weekend. Will post back with more thoughts then.
post #93 of 573
really interested to see how these turn out....I was going to get an Elite Fixed Frame but I am second guessing myself now. Was set on a 16:9 but if 2.35 screens come with nice velvet panels I am not leaning towards 2.35......soooo many decisions!

btw how much does the screen stick out from the wall? I was hoping for a flush mount screen...but i guess i cant be too picky especially at this price.
post #94 of 573
Hi all,

Here's a link to my most recent post in my build thread. It has some info and pics of the Monoprice screen which I hung yesterday.

All in all, I'm SUPER happy with it. Very solid construction, beautiful frame, etc...

I haven't yet projected an image on it, though. I hope to do that tonight!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post20546459
post #95 of 573
Just a quick update that I set things all up and was watching several 1080p movies on the screen over the weekend. The picture is fantastic and I haven't even calibrated my projector yet.

This screen is highly recommended -- especially for the price!
post #96 of 573
So has anyone actually bought one of their masking systems? That is the unit i am most interested in.

Benito
post #97 of 573
what is the difference between 16x9 and 2.35? i thought movies were 16x9? what happens to the black bars on the top/bottom? do they just get shot onto the wall?
post #98 of 573
Most movies are 2.35:1 which is why you end up with the black bars on top and bottom when watching movies on a 16:9 screen. HD TV is 16:9.
post #99 of 573
so if you are deciding what screen size you need you need to ask yourself these questions..

Will I watch more...

TV shows (including sports) than movies? if so, get 16:9 screen
Movies shows than TV shows? if so, get 2.35:1 screen

Another thing to consider is to fully use a 2.35:1 screen your projector will have be be able to zoom in or you will need a anamorphic lens which can be somewhat pricey. If you are a novice and just getting into the whole home theater hobby I would suggest getting the 16:9 to start out with. You will be perfectly happy with it. And who wouldnt be happy with a 100+ inch screen!
post #100 of 573
Nathan_R: From this pic (http://www.flickr.com/photos/6286993...7626719406142/) it looks like the pull tab might reflect a little light or be visible when in 2.35 mode. Can you comment on how it looks in operation? Can you see the tab at all?
post #101 of 573
white or gray?
post #102 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_in_COSprings View Post

Nathan_R: From this pic (http://www.flickr.com/photos/6286993...7626719406142/) it looks like the pull tab might reflect a little light or be visible when in 2.35 mode. Can you comment on how it looks in operation? Can you see the tab at all?

If you read back a page or so, you'll see he said it was not visible at all.
post #103 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by zax123 View Post

Just a quick update that I set things all up and was watching several 1080p movies on the screen over the weekend. The picture is fantastic and I haven't even calibrated my projector yet.

This screen is highly recommended -- especially for the price!

Thanks for the report, Rob. I picked up a Monoprice 110" 2.35:1 flat screen from them in my big truck (UPS shipping is outrageous) about a month ago and have not had a chance to put it up yet. I painted the wall black a couple of weeks ago where the screen was going, so when I get home this time I should finish touching up the paint and get the screen up. Driving a "big rig" means I'm home only long enough to do projects like this in short segments. Glad it looks like it will be without hassles and worth it.

Jim
post #104 of 573
I just placed my order for the 106" recessed tensioned/motorized in the HD grey. I am coming from a cheap 100" white motorized.

I will post my findings when I have it installed.
post #105 of 573
Didn't see anybody posting about the motorized screen. Is there a negative with motorized screens?

I"m thinking about purchasing one. Shipping is $135. Arghhh...
post #106 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonGT View Post

white or gray?

Depends on what projector you are using and how light controlled your room is.

What projector are you using?
post #107 of 573
Guys, do you know what type of material the fixed frame uses? Is it a vinyl or sometning else? The reason I am asking because I have my center speaker behind a screen area, so I need a screen which will not destroy the sound completely. I know about AT screens such as seymour etc, but I need to make a frame. In case monoprice one has a vinyl sceen then I will by a AT fabric and replace it on a monoprice frame.
Thanks
post #108 of 573
All, I can confirm these are Grandview screens (their rep Charlie Shao from Grandview told me so directly). I have owned a fixed frame Grandview 92" screen for over a year and love it - the frame is of great quality. I also just recently put together a 130" Monoprice screen for a co-worker and it is the same screen with a different logo. They are a slight PITA to mount on the wall due to poor instructions, but I highly recommend the screen overall.
post #109 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveUpton View Post

All, I can confirm these are Grandview screens (their rep Charlie Shao from Grandview told me so directly). I have owned a fixed frame Grandview 92" screen for over a year and love it - the frame is of great quality. I also just recently put together a 130" Monoprice screen for a co-worker and it is the same screen with a different logo. They are a slight PITA to mount on the wall due to poor instructions, but I highly recommend the screen overall.

Could you tell please what is the actual screen made of? Is this a vinyl **** or more like fabric
post #110 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by microsup View Post

Could you tell please what is the actual screen made of? Is this a vinyl **** or more like fabric

Micro,

It is more a vinyl/plastic/rubbery type material than a fabric. It stretches very easily.

It is DEFINITELY not acoustically transparent.
post #111 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorjam View Post

Thanks for the report, Rob. I picked up a Monoprice 110" 2.35:1 flat screen from them in my big truck (UPS shipping is outrageous) about a month ago and have not had a chance to put it up yet. I painted the wall black a couple of weeks ago where the screen was going, so when I get home this time I should finish touching up the paint and get the screen up. Driving a "big rig" means I'm home only long enough to do projects like this in short segments. Glad it looks like it will be without hassles and worth it.

Jim

Jim, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the quality you get for such a low price... I'm not quite sure how the screen material compares to the competitors, but the frame is solid and easy to assemble. I would think competitors would be a tad worried, I'm sure the bulk of the cost of a screen is in the aluminium frame and not the screen material, but I could be wrong...
post #112 of 573
I think I am sold on these screens. i have bought alot from monoprice.com and have loved every item. Great quality for little money. These screens seem to be the exact same thing!

only question i have is do they sit flush against the wall or do they stick out some? since the frame is rather thick i hope it doesnt stick out too much.
post #113 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreggena View Post

I think I am sold on these screens. i have bought alot from monoprice.com and have loved every item. Great quality for little money. These screens seem to be the exact same thing!

only question i have is do they sit flush against the wall or do they stick out some? since the frame is rather thick i hope it doesnt stick out too much.

I'll take some pics tonight. The fixed frame doesn't stick out much at all. The dimensions are on the Monoprice site.
post #114 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by microsup View Post

Could you tell please what is the actual screen made of? Is this a vinyl **** or more like fabric

It's a poly/vinyl material with a black backing. It's easy to clean with windex/glasses solution if a mark gets on it. I've found that glasses cleaner works well if the screen gets a spot on it. It's not AT, as stated above, but the gain and uniformity is excellent.
post #115 of 573
great thanks alot! Looking forward to seeing them!
post #116 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveUpton View Post


It's a poly/vinyl material with a black backing. It's easy to clean with windex/glasses solution if a mark gets on it. I've found that glasses cleaner works well if the screen gets a spot on it. It's not AT, as stated above, but the gain and uniformity is excellent.

Damn... I see this is a great screen aspecialy frame, but it will cost me additional $200 to replace a screen material. It looks like I have to make my own frame. Thanks everyone.
post #117 of 573
I would contact Monoprice and they might be able to work something out with you.
post #118 of 573
I took a VERY quick picture of the gap between the screen frame and the back "wall". Right now my wall is simply some framed 2x3s. It will be covered in fabric frames eventually.



Please forgive the bad quality.

There really isn't much of a gap, and with the fabric frames, it will disappear.
post #119 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreggena View Post

I would contact Monoprice and they might be able to work something out with you.

I contacted them, and they even agreed that it is a good idea to sell just a frames, but now they have no way to sell me just a frame.
Any other idea anyone have where to look just a frame.
post #120 of 573
What do you guys think about EliteScreens compare to monoprice?
And another question for who installed screen already - how easy would be to replace a screen material based on an installation method. It looks like I need to make a pockets for rods and install it same way.
Thanks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Screens
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › New ranges of Monoprice screens seem to be coming soon