or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › How many times did you return a 2010 TV?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How many times did you return a 2010 TV?

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
I've been reading so much my brain is fried. Just about every TV seems to have some issues and of course there are many folks that are happy with what they have (though possibly after a few returns).

To that end, I'm curious...how many times did you return a 2010 model year TV?

Return can mean returning or exchanging it back to where you got it from OR having it swapped by the manufacturer under warranty. Basically any time the TV you bought left you and was replaced by another (same or different model)
post #2 of 25
What exactly are you trying to "prove" with this poll? From my experience of having been on here for four years and over 3,000 posts, I GUARANTEE you that the members of this Forum are much, much more demanding in their choice of TVs and some even brag about how many times they have reurned/exchanged/tested/tried/etc. TVs.

Even if you get 100 replies from people who have returned their TVs, it's not going to be statistically significant compared to the "TV buying public" as a whole. The last time a similar poll was tried, it flopped on its face.
post #3 of 25
^^^There are chronic "returners" who only want to do in-home auditions, others who purchase for a specific event (i.e. Superbowl) and return after the event is over, OCD types (I call it Princess-and-the-Pea syndrome) who return sets for trivial or even imagined flaws, "lemmings" who return perfectly good sets because a friend or relative tells them something else is better, "new tech challenged" folks who hook up their new 50"+ flat panel to thier old SD cable or sat box via coax and are disappointed with the pq and blame the tv instead of their own ignorance and/or cheapness in not getting an HD source.
post #4 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post
What exactly are you trying to "prove" with this poll? From my experience of having been on here for four years and over 3,000 posts, I GUARANTEE you that the members of this Forum are much, much more demanding in their choice of TVs and some even brag about how many times they have reurned/exchanged/tested/tried/etc. TVs.

Even if you get 100 replies from people who have returned their TVs, it's not going to be statistically significant compared to the "TV buying public" as a whole. The last time a similar poll was tried, it flopped on its face.
You are so right. And when Costco had an unlimited TV exchange period, people were blatant about wanting to buy a TV from Costco and then replace it a year or 2 later with something better. IMHO, that constituted deliberate abuse of a very generous exchange policy at Costco. Not surprising that they finally stopped the unlimited exchange period, and now you only have 90 days to return a TV.

There is also a group of people who buy TVs knowing full well that they will exchange their current panel for a new one as soon as they see something that they like better. These serial exchangers are a PITA and always have a hand full of excuses.
post #5 of 25
Thread Starter 
I wasn't really trying to prove anything, I was more interested in determining how valuable it is to buy in a store, in case there are problems for the ease of exchange.

For myself, it's ideal to get one TV and it's good to go...but it seems like there's been a high instance of returns across virtually all brands mentioned in the forums and not only from whiners but from people who geniuinely want a good TV and would have preferred to receive in the first time around.

Spending money on something people call a lottery in some cases (Samung Panel Lottery as I see) doesn't instill confidence.
post #6 of 25
Buying a TV prooved to be a lot more challenging than I had atticipated. All I wanted was a good TV with good screen uniformity, low input lag and good motion blur reduction for sports. It seems every single TV has issue with one of the above making it very had to find a tv. I had to return a few tv because of this so far.
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post

Buying a TV prooved to be a lot more challenging than I had atticipated. All I wanted was a good TV with good screen uniformity, low input lag and good motion blur reduction for sports. It seems every single TV has issue with one of the above making it very had to find a tv. I had to return a few tv because of this so far.

Sorry, but that's ridiculous.
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin2375 View Post

I was more interested in determining how valuable it is to buy in a store, in case there are problems for the ease of exchange.

Buy local whenever possible. Last time I took a chance online by a combination of factors: price, door-delivery etc. but I forgot many times the locals will price-match, so u should keep that in mind.

So when my big screen was delivered across country, I noticed a little smudge on an otherwise perfectly glossy screen. I let out a %@%#* hoping it's not a scratch. Next morning I used my Klear screen bottle, that made it worse, so I went to my home-made 50% alcohol spray and that did the job. Then I notice indeed the color changes as I move about the room, but I already knew that. There was no panic, no buyer's remorse. I bought with a budget in mind. I settled for a does-the-job, acceptable, low-maintenance woman, rather than looking for perfection and be disappointed if she turns out not to be!
post #9 of 25
FWIW... since 1975, I've only returned one TV. That was ~1987 and it was due to a detached shadow mask.
post #10 of 25
Buying locally has advantages with regard to ease of returns but one does usually pay a bit more for the product. Depends on how important "instant gratification" is to the buyer. Some E-tailers have pretty good return policies but there's usually still the complication of shipping back the bad set and waiting for the new one to arrive.

I've had any number of customers who won't wait less than 5 days for an out-of-stock set to be ordered but instead accept a lesser set for the same price or pay more for something no better because they want to take it home the same day.
post #11 of 25
I returned 4 tv's in 2010. # samsungs and 1 toshiba. Toshiba 32rv25R was humming as well as a samsung ln32c530. The other 2 where samsung ln32c350 ( Horrible viewing angles and poor sound) and the ln32c450 ( poor viewing angles).
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

FWIW... since 1975, I've only returned one TV. That was ~1987 and it was due to a detached shadow mask.

Don't know if it's fair comparison CRT vs flat screens. Feels like there is more problems with flat screens. Having said that, maybe because now we expect our digital TVs to be perfect. Also factor in (thinking more longevity) lots of CRTs were made in Japan/US, now just about all electronics are China made, the land of if there-is-a-corner-to-be-cut, as long as our clients want them cheaper!
post #13 of 25
Oh okay... I bought a 32" LCD in 2008 and 46" LCD in August 2010. I didn't return either.

Keeping CRT's in mind, they were around for 60 years. So they had an good longevity.
LCD's and plasma's only gained ground for size, weight and footprint. Don't get me wrong, they have come a long way in 10 years. But, they really do have a lot of negatives. Do your homework and make the best of what's available.
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
^^^There are chronic "returners" who only want to do in-home auditions, others who purchase for a specific event (i.e. Superbowl) and return after the event is over, OCD types (I call it Princess-and-the-Pea syndrome) who return sets for trivial or even imagined flaws, "lemmings" who return perfectly good sets because a friend or relative tells them something else is better, "new tech challenged" folks who hook up their new 50"+ flat panel to thier old SD cable or sat box via coax and are disappointed with the pq and blame the tv instead of their own ignorance and/or cheapness in not getting an HD source.
Nailed it.
I bought my TV to be entertained, it's doing an excellent job.
Same applies to the audiophiles out there, gotta get the moon-rock needle.
post #15 of 25
This is truly a ridiculous thread. Last year this forum was struck with "Return Mania" as if it were a contest to see how many sets could be returned and people bragging on how they made retailers jump.
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

This is truly a ridiculous thread. Last year this forum was struck with "Return Mania" as if it were a contest to see how many sets could be returned and people bragging on how they made retailers jump.

i agree. I've never returned a tv. You want to buy a tv, go down to your local B&M and buy one. You see what you're getting. You buy online, caveat emptor.
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

i agree. I've never returned a tv. You want to buy a tv, go down to your local B&M and buy one. You see what you're getting. You buy online, caveat emptor.

Nothing more that my wife and I hate than having to return ANY purchased item. We usually keep it and when we have several items, we just donate it to charity!

I can only think of one item we have ever returned and that was about three years ago. My wife purchase a great looking pie at Costco for our Thanksgiving get together. The darn thing was so salty we just couldn't eat it. Whatever was left, my wife decided Costco must get back so they can correct their bakery problems. Well, as it turned out, our pie was the 12th it had been returned on that day!

I just can't imagine having to struggle, boxing-up a damn huge tv and somehow getting it back to the store. I'd rather donate it to charity and knock it off my taxes!
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

^^^There are chronic "returners" who only want to do in-home auditions, others who purchase for a specific event (i.e. Superbowl) and return after the event is over, OCD types (I call it Princess-and-the-Pea syndrome) who return sets for trivial or even imagined flaws, "lemmings" who return perfectly good sets because a friend or relative tells them something else is better, "new tech challenged" folks who hook up their new 50"+ flat panel to thier old SD cable or sat box via coax and are disappointed with the pq and blame the tv instead of their own ignorance and/or cheapness in not getting an HD source.

I wish every potential customer/buyer or returner would read this. It's so true. I have only returned a tv(2010) due to the tv(dlp) having it screen off center which was fixable but was not interested in a brand new tv being fixed. Could not be fixed in the settings. Also it was a 3D dlp and the 3D adapter failed. That's when I got my first plasma(Samsung) and was my first 3D tv. All worked out for the best
post #19 of 25
i didn't have any problems in 2010
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post

Nothing more that my wife and I hate than having to return ANY purchased item. We usually keep it and when we have several items, we just donate it to charity!

I can only think of one item we have ever returned and that was about three years ago. My wife purchase a great looking pie at Costco for our Thanksgiving get together. The darn thing was so salty we just couldn't eat it. Whatever was left, my wife decided Costco must get back so they can correct their bakery problems. Well, as it turned out, our pie was the 12th it had been returned on that day!

I just can't imagine having to struggle, boxing-up a damn huge tv and somehow getting it back to the store. I'd rather donate it to charity and knock it off my taxes!

Hugh, I couldn't agree more. Maybe tolerance comes with age (or vice versa).
post #21 of 25
bought multiple 32" lcd's as gifts, but had to swap all of them out due to insufficient audio volume.
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by highgrovemanor View Post

bought multiple 32" lcd's as gifts, but had to swap all of them out due to insufficient audio volume.

That's probably something you could have checked beforehand. Even if you bought them on-line, you could have listened to the same model(s) in a store. That's why I research the heck out of everything before I buy it to lessen the liklihood of problems after I get it home. It sure saves the frustrations of going through the return process.
post #23 of 25
Agree. Only one was opened, and its hard to demo units in the big-box stores these days. But shame on that manufacturer, as such a small set won't be part of a HT and should have sufficient audio volume.
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Sorry, but that's ridiculous.

Hey you are entitled to your opinion. Before this Tv purchase, I don't think I have ever return something unless it was defective. I am not proud of it. When I bought my old TV, it was doing everything fine. I basically wanted the same, but bigger (46" instead of 42") and that proves to be a challenge.

If I wasn't gaming, I probably would not have return a TV this year.
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

this is truly a ridiculous thread. Last year this forum was struck with "return mania" as if it were a contest to see how many sets could be returned and people bragging on how they made retailers jump.

+1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › How many times did you return a 2010 TV?