or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › What's Your System Configuration › BrolicBeast's Living Room Theater
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BrolicBeast's Living Room Theater - Page 47

post #1381 of 3159
Brolic,

Do you have season 1 of Game of Thrones? There is a scene in the first episode you should demo; it is quite possibly the sharpest piece of film I have ever seen on BD.
post #1382 of 3159
Nice job on the video and congrats on the PJ. Awesome!
post #1383 of 3159
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Great video. The picture looks great even on a computer screen. A few parts look like they had a lot of depth.

Thanks Mike. The depth of the RS56 is really something special. The RS45 was great, but this RS56 is amazing. I'm here watching the Presidential Inauguration on an xbox 360's NBC app, and thatnks to eShift2, it's pristine
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantYnot View Post

Brolic,

Do you have season 1 of Game of Thrones? There is a scene in the first episode you should demo; it is quite possibly the sharpest piece of film I have ever seen on BD.

Oh yes indeed. I'm probably the biggest GoT fan on the eastern seaboard. That entire first season is demo material, but the opening scene, the scene when stark and now part ways, and a few others stand out as great demo material. Which scene do you find the sharpest?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

Nice job on the video and congrats on the PJ. Awesome!

Thanks ddgtr! How have you been man? I hope you've been giving those Fathoms a workout!
post #1384 of 3159
Brolic the video was great information/demo material and although I am a bit off still from venturing into the projector and screen territory it makes me look forward to that adventure even more.

BTW!! sitting at 12 feet back with a screen that size reminds me of being at Real IMAX theaters impressive.
post #1385 of 3159
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Lol, I realized that I only do my award winning performances when I'm Unboxing a new toy....but since the video starts with the new toy already opened, I had no chance to enter on stage. Lol.
Lol
post #1386 of 3159
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Lol, I realized that I only do my award winning performances when I'm Unboxing a new toy....but since the video starts with the new toy already opened, I had no chance to enter on stage. Lol.


Just watched the beginning of your vid will watch more tonight Matt. Your Soporano bit was missing could of been used in the opening of your lens smile.gif congrats on your purchase.
post #1387 of 3159
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Oh yes indeed. I'm probably the biggest GoT fan on the eastern seaboard. That entire first season is demo material, but the opening scene, the scene when stark and now part ways, and a few others stand out as great demo material. Which scene do you find the sharpest?

Brolic,

The scene in question is episode 1, during the Targaryen party (where the dragon eggs are first introduced to Daenerys ). I believe it is about 43 minutes in. There are some closeup shots of her face that look absolutely incredible, and has the perfect balance of color and contrast.

What did you think of the explosion sequence in season 2? That is my new reference audio scene, and I have probably watched it over 300 times.

Looking forward to season 3!
post #1388 of 3159
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkingincharge View Post

Brolic the video was great information/demo material and although I am a bit off still from venturing into the projector and screen territory it makes me look forward to that adventure even more.

BTW!! sitting at 12 feet back with a screen that size reminds me of being at Real IMAX theaters impressive.

Yeah man, it's like being at IMAX for movies, games, etc. Superbowl Sunday shall be quite grand! I hope you go the projection route soon. You can always blackmail the wife, or kidnap the in-laws until she concedes. biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiallo View Post

Lol

I'll be sure pull out the operatic skills in the next video!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Just watched the beginning of your vid will watch more tonight Matt. Your Soporano bit was missing could of been used in the opening of your lens smile.gif congrats on your purchase.

Lol, that's a good point.....there was a place for it. I'll be sure to include it henceforth. I can see it now....my Grammy Award....I can see it.....***slowly reaches hand toward sky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantYnot View Post

Brolic,

The scene in question is episode 1, during the Targaryen party (where the dragon eggs are first introduced to Daenerys ). I believe it is about 43 minutes in. There are some closeup shots of her face that look absolutely incredible, and has the perfect balance of color and contrast.

What did you think of the explosion sequence in season 2? That is my new reference audio scene, and I have probably watched it over 300 times.

Looking forward to season 3!

I will be sure to check that scene out tonight! I love the entire Blackwater Bay episode. That wildfire explosion is a wonder to behold. I'm amazed at the production values of this show. I shall "Pay the Iron Price" for the Season 2 blu ray when it's released!.........ehhhh, on second thought, I'll pay the normal price. Lolol.
post #1389 of 3159
I looked at the projector video. That is a nice piece of work, and I'm sure the RS56 looks great dialed in with the Lumagen. And piano black always gives a touch of class. Will you be doing something more permanent than the cardboard to channel the heat away from the projector lens, or is it good? If the cardboard will be out of sight, maybe it won't matter, but is there any chance of a problem having something flammable that close to the RS56?. From what little I know, projectors can really dish out the heat.
post #1390 of 3159
The projector design looks very similar to my RS60U.
post #1391 of 3159
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

I looked at the projector video. That is a nice piece of work, and I'm sure the RS56 looks great dialed in with the Lumagen. And piano black always gives a touch of class. Will you be doing something more permanent than the cardboard to channel the heat away from the projector lens, or is it good? If the cardboard will be out of sight, maybe it won't matter, but is there any chance of a problem having something flammable that close to the RS56?. From what little I know, projectors can really dish out the heat.

Gracias Prepress. I’ll be keeping the current exhaust management system in place, The PJ exhaust does get quite hot, but not hot enough to get cardboard to combust. It reems to route the airflow rather well. Now if the carboard was blocking airflow, THEN I’d be very worried and would probably move to molded plastic solution of some sort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

The projector design looks very similar to my RS60U.

Yes indeed. The RS5X and RS6X series are identical inside and out, except for contrast and the fact that the RS6X series uses hand-picked parts. Other than that, they are pretty much the same. This is my first time having a projector with a motorized lens cover—it’s so unbelievable classy. BTW, I checked the “Frankie and the Fathoms” sales numbers—you guys are still topping the charts. Multi-Platinum 
post #1392 of 3159
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post


Yes indeed. The RS5X and RS6X series are identical inside and out, except for contrast and the fact that the RS6X series uses hand-picked parts. Other than that, they are pretty much the same. This is my first time having a projector with a motorized lens cover—it’s so unbelievable classy. BTW, I checked the “Frankie and the Fathoms” sales numbers—you guys are still topping the charts. Multi-Platinum 

The motorised lens cover is cool, definitely a nice feature to have.

Thanks mate looking at touring in the States soon playin all the hits smile.gif
post #1393 of 3159
I liked the custom made side covers to keep out light bleed. lol
post #1394 of 3159
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

I liked the custom made side covers to keep out light bleed. lol

Lol, blocking any extra escaping light is definitely an extra bonus since my previous projector was guilty of this, but the main reason for those boards is to stop the front-ventilated heat from hitting the wall in front of it and "splashing" in front of the lens. A good idea of what this looks like is putting a portable heater in the light path...the distortion is so weird... like the haze of heat rising from concrete on a hot summer day.
post #1395 of 3159
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantYnot View Post

The scene in question is episode 1, during the Targaryen party (where the dragon eggs are first introduced to Daenerys ). I believe it is about 43 minutes in. There are some closeup shots of her face that look absolutely incredible, and has the perfect balance of color.

I checked out this scene....those closeups are veryyyy sharp! New skintone and overall PQ reference for me. Thanks for pointing this out Sarge.
post #1396 of 3159
Brolic,

There are a lot of dark and contrast scenes in season 2, more so than season 1. I am not sure if you have any of the season 2 rips, but episode 8 had some scenes I would be happy to point out.

I need to rewatch Season 1 in 1080p24; it's been a couple years since I have watched it in its entirety. I am especially more motivated after reading from a few places that list that as the best looking bluray to date. Can't say I disagree with that.

Are there any reference scenes you recommend?
post #1397 of 3159
Thread Starter 
I collected all my old gear and created a sort of Home Theater starter system. Includes my motorized drop-down screen, Denon AVR, and a bunch of other items. If looking to populate a second room, or looking to start from scratch, Check It Out Here.
post #1398 of 3159
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantYnot View Post

Brolic,

There are a lot of dark and contrast scenes in season 2, more so than season 1. I am not sure if you have any of the season 2 rips, but episode 8 had some scenes I would be happy to point out.

I need to rewatch Season 1 in 1080p24; it's been a couple years since I have watched it in its entirety. I am especially more motivated after reading from a few places that list that as the best looking bluray to date. Can't say I disagree with that.

Are there any reference scenes you recommend?

Oh yeah, definitely. Legends of the Guardians (The final battle--the detail here in the movement of the feathers is intense), Battle: LA (There's a pristine shot from the rear of a helicopter formation flying over a city, GoT (Where Stark and Snow part ways), Forward Unto Dawn (any daylight scene). I used to have more, but I've grown spoiled using the Scubasteve and Superleo demo discs for visual Demo material (and audio too).

Definitely re-watch Season 1 of GoT--honestly, I feel it was better than season 2. That being said, I've read all the books so, knowledge of where they are in the story arc now has me very excited for season 3 (And the show definitely has some surprises that are not in the books.)
post #1399 of 3159
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Yeah man, it's like being at IMAX for movies, games, etc. Superbowl Sunday shall be quite grand! I hope you go the projection route soon. You can always blackmail the wife, or kidnap the in-laws until she concedes. biggrin.gif

Superbowl!!! Yes what a great way to also demo as setup like yours. The projection is coming for me but I know that what I am wanting to spend will require the bigger room which is coming soon and the other add -ons which have been progressing very well for the most part so I need to be done so there is no stretching of my A/V slush fund lol!!!! and the wife knows its coming sooner than later .The in law idea might work heck they might even secretly cooperate with me in just to see the projector happen lol!!
post #1400 of 3159
You still got that PC that you adamantly refuse to call an HTPC? lol
post #1401 of 3159
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Oh yeah, definitely. Legends of the Guardians (The final battle--the detail here in the movement of the feathers is intense), Battle: LA (There's a pristine shot from the rear of a helicopter formation flying over a city, GoT (Where Stark and Snow part ways), Forward Unto Dawn (any daylight scene). I used to have more, but I've grown spoiled using the Scubasteve and Superleo demo discs for visual Demo material (and audio too).

Definitely re-watch Season 1 of GoT--honestly, I feel it was better than season 2. That being said, I've read all the books so, knowledge of where they are in the story arc now has me very excited for season 3 (And the show definitely has some surprises that are not in the books.)


I knew Game of Thrones would be a winner when I saw the first ad posters for the show a couple years back. I was immediately hooked on the first 5 minutes of the first episode, and then with the dramatic credits opening. With that said, I did enjoy season 1 more than 2. I feel like Peter Dinklage's lines were better written in the first season. Also, they seemingly forgot the Targaryens by only showing their story 5 minutes per episode (literally, some episodes had 5 minutes of them).

I remember when you did the Darbee review you showed that helicopter scene from Battle LA. That is one fun movie to watch.
post #1402 of 3159
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkingincharge View Post

Superbowl!!! Yes what a great way to also demo as setup like yours. The projection is coming for me but I know that what I am wanting to spend will require the bigger room which is coming soon and the other add -ons which have been progressing very well for the most part so I need to be done so there is no stretching of my A/V slush fund lol!!!! and the wife knows its coming sooner than later .The in law idea might work heck they might even secretly cooperate with me in just to see the projector happen lol!!

Let the inter-family plotting begin!!! lol....Yeah man, I'm still tweaking to find the perfect setting for sports. High Lamp mode is a no-brainer, but just working out some other tweaks to make football looks its best for the big-game! Your dedicated space is going to be killer--especially since you've already great gear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

You still got that PC that you adamantly refuse to call an HTPC? lol

lol, yes indeed I do! I'm actually thinking about turning it into a HTPC. I'm strongly considering the purchase of a dedicated HTPC/Media Server, but the specs of that machine are, for the most part, surpassed by my current monster machine. I still like certain optimizations in the machine I'm considering, but i"m going to download J-river and start using it as a test bed. I may or may not need that system, but i'll let J-River determine that. Out of the 5TB in my machine, I'm only using about 1TB thus far. Might just add a NAS and call it a day. I shall see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantYnot View Post

I knew Game of Thrones would be a winner when I saw the first ad posters for the show a couple years back. I was immediately hooked on the first 5 minutes of the first episode, and then with the dramatic credits opening. With that said, I did enjoy season 1 more than 2. I feel like Peter Dinklage's lines were better written in the first season. Also, they seemingly forgot the Targaryens by only showing their story 5 minutes per episode (literally, some episodes had 5 minutes of them).

I remember when you did the Darbee review you showed that helicopter scene from Battle LA. That is one fun movie to watch.

Absolutely--people seem to dislike Battle: LA, but frankly, I think it's a great movie and a remarkable demo blu ray. "Movie Night" quality through and through.
post #1403 of 3159
Thread Starter 
J-River + J-Remote + Oppo BDP-105........Oh...My...Gosh.......I don't know what I thought I was doing before, but this is life-altering.
post #1404 of 3159
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Let the inter-family plotting begin!!! lol....Yeah man, I'm still tweaking to find the perfect setting for sports. High Lamp mode is a no-brainer, but just working out some other tweaks to make football looks its best for the big-game! Your dedicated space is going to be killer--especially since you've already great gear.
lol, yes indeed I do! I'm actually thinking about turning it into a HTPC. I'm strongly considering the purchase of a dedicated HTPC/Media Server, but the specs of that machine are, for the most part, surpassed by my current monster machine. I still like certain optimizations in the machine I'm considering, but i"m going to download J-river and start using it as a test bed. I may or may not need that system, but i'll let J-River determine that. Out of the 5TB in my machine, I'm only using about 1TB thus far. Might just add a NAS and call it a day. I shall see.
Absolutely--people seem to dislike Battle: LA, but frankly, I think it's a great movie and a remarkable demo blu ray. "Movie Night" quality through and through.

Battle LA is awesome, I cant get bored of it. It has plenty of replay value for me. Definitely demo material too. I hope they make a sequel. smile.gif
post #1405 of 3159
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

J-River + J-Remote + Oppo BDP-105........Oh...My...Gosh.......I don't know what I thought I was doing before, but this is life-altering.

I had to google all that, never new about j-river and j-remote. Going by your response looks like it works quite well.
post #1406 of 3159
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Battle LA is awesome, I cant get bored of it. It has plenty of replay value for me. Definitely demo material too. I hope they make a sequel. smile.gif

Yes!!! Man, sometimes I want to fire up the theater, but don't really have a reason to..... I just pop in Battle: LA and and watch my favorite scenes. It's a good reminder of what HT Enthusiasm is all about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I had to google all that, never new about j-river and j-remote. Going by your response looks like it works quite well.

I only learned about J-river a month or two ago.....a forum member mentioned it and I started researching it. Here's a great review of J-river on Home Theater Review's website. It's absolutely an amazing system. I'm thinking I may need a couple iPad Mini's just as controllers.....this is great. I just configured it today, and I'm running my computer to my Oppo BDP-105 asynchronous USB DAC (with the Oppo selected as the sound card.) and I am very satisfied. I did some basic testing of some HD video, but didn't experiment enough with it. The control interface of JRemote is just great. I've never experienced something as seamless as this. It definitely beats Oppo's file management system, which--all of a sudden--seems archaic compared to iPad navigation of my high-resolution FLAC files.
post #1407 of 3159
Yep Battle L.A. is certainly fun to watch. I ll have to look into that J river review, thanks.

You know what I use for surrounds and fronts as Demo? Brave. There are scenes on there that really utilise all the speakers well. The detail of the audio is amazing.
post #1408 of 3159
I just watched Battle LA last night smile.gif. It really kicks ass. The Crowson really goes wild with that one. Plus when get media server I will be getting J-River to along with it. It won't be for a while but I still can't wait.
post #1409 of 3159
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Yes!!! Man, sometimes I want to fire up the theater, but don't really have a reason to..... I just pop in Battle: LA and and watch my favorite scenes. It's a good reminder of what HT Enthusiasm is all about.
I only learned about J-river a month or two ago.....a forum member mentioned it and I started researching it. Here's a great review of J-river on Home Theater Review's website. It's absolutely an amazing system. I'm thinking I may need a couple iPad Mini's just as controllers.....this is great. I just configured it today, and I'm running my computer to my Oppo BDP-105 asynchronous USB DAC (with the Oppo selected as the sound card.) and I am very satisfied. I did some basic testing of some HD video, but didn't experiment enough with it. The control interface of JRemote is just great. I've never experienced something as seamless as this. It definitely beats Oppo's file management system, which--all of a sudden--seems archaic compared to iPad navigation of my high-resolution FLAC files.

Curious. I use JRiver as well but run the digital out from my server into my Integra. (Music Only). What is the advantage of running it through your Oppo? Or are you loading movies onto your server? And does JRiver support movies as well?
post #1410 of 3159
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Yep Battle L.A. is certainly fun to watch. I ll have to look into that J river review, thanks.

You know what I use for surrounds and fronts as Demo? Brave. There are scenes on there that really utilise all the speakers well. The detail of the audio is amazing.

Ah, I'm going to be sure to run through Brave and note some demo bookmarks. I do remember being very impressed by its audio presentation, but haven't revisited since I watched it originally, except for last week when I was testing out a track issue for a friend. Thanks for the heads up...I'm always looking for more demos material! These Pixar mixers really know what they're doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

I just watched Battle LA last night smile.gif. It really kicks ass. The Crowson really goes wild with that one. Plus when get media server I will be getting J-River to along with it. It won't be for a while but I still can't wait.

Yesssss, the movie is insane! Razor sharp picture, reference audio, and just a great experience overall. Ah yes, the media server! I'm still looking into that, but I'm thinking I can replicate that experience pretty much 1:1 with a very powerful computer i built in '09....If I can't, then I'll definitely go that route, but it's looking likely that this current comp/server setup will more than suffice. Keep in mind that it's not too early to get Jriver. if/When I shoot for the newer server, I plan to transfer the license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

Curious. I use JRiver as well but run the digital out from my server into my Integra. (Music Only). What is the advantage of running it through your Oppo? Or are you loading movies onto your server? And does JRiver support movies as well?

I run HDMI as one zone and USB as another zone, both into the Oppo 105. The primary reason for this is to gain the benefits of my Crowson Transducers. The only way to get a pure signal to the transducers (ie: untainted by Audyssey) is to do what Craig John and Mike Duke do and run the signal from the Oppo's analog SW output to the transducers' dedicated amplifier. Yes I am indeed going to start using it for movies. I had a couple ripped files to work with, in addition to the demo disc files from Superleo and Scubasteve, and the picture is absolutely outstanding. The only issue is I may need to upgrade my hardware, as my current hardware doesn't support Dolby DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TruHD. I'm using this 98% music, 2%movies currently, but I can absolutely see myself going with this for movies eventually. The JRemote iPad app is sick, and I have a plug-and-play USB IR receiver on the way so I can control it using my Harmony 900 remote. I know the Music Vault is your primary source, but if you have any computers with video files, it's certainly worth a shot. How do you control Jriver now? JRemote? or Gizmo? Another route?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › What's Your System Configuration › BrolicBeast's Living Room Theater