or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › What's Your System Configuration › BrolicBeast's Living Room Theater
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BrolicBeast's Living Room Theater - Page 52

post #1531 of 3162
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantYnot View Post

Not to open a can of worms at all, but what cable brand do you prefer in your system? Do you have a preference for speaker wire?

I'm using Kimber 8TC speaker cable, and I like it. It's not expensive and is of a sufficient gauge (9AWG) to let the signal go through. It doesn't create any impedance difficulties as a result. I couldn't see buying anything beyond this; maybe 12TC, but the slightly heavier gauge may make only a small difference, if any. The 12TC is 8AWG.
post #1532 of 3162
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantYnot View Post

I had no idea AXPONA would be in Rosemont. I might consider going myself. Have you been to Chicago before?

I've actually never been to Chicago before. I look forward to checking it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

I went to AXPONA in NY a couple years back. Lots of "high end" stuff. None of it was optimized for the room it was in and most of it sounded pretty bad, IMO. The Steinway-Lyngdorf room did have their proprietary RC system, and it sounded pretty good, but nowhere near the cost of the system. Lots of huge monoblock amps, weird looking speakers, stupid expensive cables, many vinyl sources, blah, blah, blah. Several of these rooms had systems that cost $200K+. None of them sounded as good or better than my own system at home. Many would consider my system a "high end" system, but relative to a lot of the systems at AXPONA, it is decidedly mid-fi.

It was most interesting to listen to the commentary of many of the other attendees, who clearly were hearing things I did not hear, and who were able to ignore or not recognize many of the problems I heard. The commentary was all the "audiophile" subjective crap: open, airy, transparent, veil-lifted, micro-detail, blacker-background, silkier, faster bass, etc., etc.

The one thing I really did enjoy was meeting Bill Duddleston of Legacy Audio. Their room really did sound good, although the the bass could have benefited from some room correction. Still, Bill's approach to audio was a breath of fresh air in a whirlwind of audiophoolery. Legacy will be in Chicago, and I'm sure you'll hit their room. I expect it will be a highlight of your experience.

I also see that Wisdom Audio will be there. I experienced their systems at CEDIA in 2010, and came away thinking they STOLE that show! That was the most incredible audio experience I've ever had. I strongly suggest you make it to their room.

Overall, tt was a very interesting experience, and I learned a lot about the "high end." The primary thing I learned is that a well optimized "mid-fi" system can sound better than an uber-expensive "high end" system, even if it doesn't have massive dual-monoblock amps, weird looking speakers and cables that cost more than cars.

Craig

Craig, I definitely appreciate hearing of your experience and the pointers as well. I plan to hit Legacy Audio's room first. Based on your recommendation, I'll hit wisdom Audio's room right after that. I'll only be on the show floor on Sunday from 10-around 2, so I'll be sure to carefully select the rooms I visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

Craig:

Your system is mid-fi? confused.gif Surely you jest! Your speakers MSRP is more than the cost of my first home. But I get your point.

I have heard very few speakers/systems at shows sound anything other than mediocre. I have attended approximately 10 to 15 CES's, and 3 or 4 CEDIA's and 1 AXPONA and the comment that literally makes me want to gag that comes from the mouth of some of the well known reviewers goes something like this: He just walked out of a room that he has never been in, listening to music he has never heard on equipment, non of which he is at all familiar with and says: "that amp sounded really airy" Excuse me!! He clearly must posses some kind of mystic powers.

But shows can be enjoyable for no other reason than to hear some new music and hear the total crap that comes out of the mouth of some of these manufacturers (particularly the wire, power cord and "accessory" companies). And you will get to hear (usually) a number of systems that do really sound great. I know Mark Seaton is supposed to be there and I sure hope he has room treatment in his space.

One thing that really annoys me about shows is that when one of the reviewers walks into a room, if you happen to be sitting in the sweet spot (and waited 20 minutes to get that seat), you will be asked to move --- and usually with not a lot of tact.

I am also a hater of what I call "reviewer armor." None of those terms do enough to convey what music really sounds like....and definitely can't be discerned from 10 minutes with the speakers. If I wait 20 mins for a sweet spot and get asked to move, I'll expect a pro-rated refund of my ticket cost before I lift a foot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Brolic,

I would say the experience will be educational if nothing else. There is a show here in NY in April, and I'm thinking about going. But if I buy a preamp as I seem headed toward doing, research won't be part of the deal. The Chicago show will be a time of bonding with the Ms. over a common interest. Just be sure of who buys lunch first!

A recent TAS letters page (Feb. '13) highlighted the very scenario audioguy mentioned, as one of its reviewers was involved. At Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, in the Wilson room (shared by three other companies) a gentleman was asked by someone (not a Wilson rep) to move from a sweet-spot chair so a reviewer (Jonathan Valin, who hadn't been consulted apparently) could sit there. It wasn't Mr. Valin's fault, and he indicated willingness to sit somewhere else, but the gentleman who'd been asked to move stormed out. An embarrassment to everybody.

I'm not a trained listener, but I have heard differences with speaker cable and with interconnects between preamp and power amp in my system. If, listening normally, I hear something, then it's significant. If not, I save money.

Same here....I've owned different cables and have heard improvements. I do not know why $60,000 cables exist though...Ha! They can keep that!
post #1533 of 3162
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

I've actually never been to Chicago before. I look forward to checking it out.
Craig, I definitely appreciate hearing of your experience and the pointers as well. I plan to hit Legacy Audio's room first. Based on your recommendation, I'll hit wisdom Audio's room right after that. I'll only be on the show floor on Sunday from 10-around 2, so I'll be sure to carefully select the rooms I visit.
I am also a hater of what I call "reviewer armor." None of those terms do enough to convey what music really sounds like....and definitely can't be discerned from 10 minutes with the speakers. If I wait 20 mins for a sweet spot and get asked to move, I'll expect a pro-rated refund of my ticket cost before I lift a foot.
Same here....I've owned different cables and have heard improvements. I do not know why $60,000 cables exist though...Ha! They can keep that!

The $60, 000 cable market exists to part well-heeled fools from their money. It is "F You" money - purely for the sake of owning "the best" status symbol that others can't afford. After all, its more expensive, so it HAS to be better, right?

During very critical listening sessions, I have heard some minor differences between different cables in a system, but I attribute these differences to the known variables - resistance, capacitance, and inductance. These known variables can and do cause electrical variances in how connected components react to them, which can sometimes be audible. Also, differences in cable design geometry can play a role too. But mainly, I think lower resistance thru larger gauge wire will net you the most gains in many systems. The bottom line is that you do not need to spend a lot of money on cables to get great sound, and if you are using cables as "tone controls" for your mega-buck system, then you're doing it wrong.

I too, like Legacy Audio's no-nonsense approach to speaker design. Its one brand you can count on to deliver performance gains at each point in their line up, and at great value compared to other companies out there. Next month, I will be helping Bill Dudleston to deliver and set up an Aeris system to Tony Cordesman, for an upcoming review in The Absolute Sound magazine. (But I'm sure nobody here on this forum reads that audiophool crap) ;-)
post #1534 of 3162
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark1 View Post

The $60, 000 cable market exists to part well-heeled fools from their money. It is "F You" money - purely for the sake of owning "the best" status symbol that others can't afford. After all, its more expensive, so it HAS to be better, right?

During very critical listening sessions, I have heard some minor differences between different cables in a system, but I attribute these differences to the known variables - resistance, capacitance, and inductance. These known variables can and do cause electrical variances in how connected components react to them, which can sometimes be audible. Also, differences in cable design geometry can play a role too. But mainly, I think lower resistance thru larger gauge wire will net you the most gains in many systems. The bottom line is that you do not need to spend a lot of money on cables to get great sound, and if you are using cables as "tone controls" for your mega-buck system, then you're doing it wrong.

I too, like Legacy Audio's no-nonsense approach to speaker design. Its one brand you can count on to deliver performance gains at each point in their line up, and at great value compared to other companies out there. Next month, I will be helping Bill Dudleston to deliver and set up an Aeris system to Tony Cordesman, for an upcoming review in The Absolute Sound magazine. (But I'm sure nobody here on this forum reads that audiophool crap) ;-)
Dennis,

I have ordered some new Magic Mushroom cables from Coconut Audio:


http://www.coconut-audio.com/whitebeach/cables.htm#magic

They're normally $38,000, but the introductory price is just $7,600. I KNOW they gonna make a huge difference! Just read the FACTS:
Quote:
Magic Mushroom power 7m

Designed for: Everything.

Magic Mushroom is liquid smooth, neutral, uncolored and powerful while being laid-back and enjoyable.

Magic Mushroom takes White Beach to a higher level. The bass is bigger, fuller and more powerful, but it's still quicker and more textured with more information! It's also calmer and more laid-back which reduces listening fatigue.

Magic Mushroom uses our 3-stage Astral crystal formula, it will lift you up into a relaxing out of body state so you can enjoy music like never before.

It's gotta be worth the $$$!

They also have Rattlesnake cable. It has the snakeoil built right in:


Quote:
The longer or bigger the Rattlesnakes are, the greater the skin filtering is, which results in cleaner sound. The Rattlesnakes are not standard cables, they are power conditioners that can be coiled up to take up small space, like real snakes. Our power cables go up to 10 meters in length for extreme cleaning power. All power cables are available with EURO or US plug.

Hopefully I'll have them in time for our get together. biggrin.gif

Craig
post #1535 of 3162
Thread Starter 
Dennis, I'm looking forward to reading that review! That Aeris screams "high end." I think my approach to reading reviews is a bit unique....I gloss right over the usual terms and go right to where the reviewer discusses the impact of the equipment/speaker on material he or she is familiar with. I think that's the meat of the review!

Craig, your above post made my day. Lolll! I laughed so hard that my eyes started watering. Lolol. A true Classic!
post #1536 of 3162
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Dennis, I'm looking forward to reading that review! That Aeris screams "high end." I think my approach to reading reviews is a bit unique....I gloss right over the usual terms and go right to where the reviewer discusses the impact of the equipment/speaker on material he or she is familiar with. I think that's the meat of the review!

Craig, your above post made my day. Lolll! I laughed so hard that my eyes started watering. Lolol. A true Classic!
The whole website is hilarious. Check it out!

Craig
post #1537 of 3162
I actually thought you made up those pics for fun, until I saw the link. Get a set of those cables and get high on those magic mushrooms. biggrin.gif
post #1538 of 3162
Craig, that post was awesome! Made my day, and put a smile on my face. smile.gif

Did your new Earthquake amp come in yet? Looking forward to the GTG!
post #1539 of 3162
Much like from Caddyshack, the beauty of the magic mushroom cables is you can play 36 holes with them in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff.
post #1540 of 3162
Thread Starter 
Happy Valentine's Day to all, and may we all experience "tactile transduction" on this fine evening wink.gif

-Matt
post #1541 of 3162
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Happy Valentine's Day to all, and may we all experience "tactile transduction" on this fine evening wink.gif

-Matt

Now that was funny!!!
post #1542 of 3162
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Happy Valentine's Day to all, and may we all experience "tactile transduction" on this fine evening wink.gif

-Matt

My wife was sick frown.gif
post #1543 of 3162
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark1 View Post

The $60, 000 cable market exists to part well-heeled fools from their money. It is "F You" money - purely for the sake of owning "the best" status symbol that others can't afford. After all, its more expensive, so it HAS to be better, right?

During very critical listening sessions, I have heard some minor differences between different cables in a system, but I attribute these differences to the known variables - resistance, capacitance, and inductance. These known variables can and do cause electrical variances in how connected components react to them, which can sometimes be audible. Also, differences in cable design geometry can play a role too. But mainly, I think lower resistance thru larger gauge wire will net you the most gains in many systems. The bottom line is that you do not need to spend a lot of money on cables to get great sound, and if you are using cables as "tone controls" for your mega-buck system, then you're doing it wrong.

I too, like Legacy Audio's no-nonsense approach to speaker design. Its one brand you can count on to deliver performance gains at each point in their line up, and at great value compared to other companies out there. Next month, I will be helping Bill Dudleston to deliver and set up an Aeris system to Tony Cordesman, for an upcoming review in The Absolute Sound magazine. (But I'm sure nobody here on this forum reads that audiophool crap) ;-)

Actually, I do. I'll be interested to read the review, even though I'm not in the market for speakers. Focus HDs are one of my "ultimate fantasy" system components.
post #1544 of 3162
That website's a joke, right? That can't be real. Maybe I've been gone for too long and have missed the joke? lol
post #1545 of 3162
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkingincharge View Post

Now that was funny!!!

biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

My wife was sick frown.gif

Sorry man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Actually, I do. I'll be interested to read the review, even though I'm not in the market for speakers. Focus HDs are one of my "ultimate fantasy" system components.

I'm looking forward to it as well! I hope to own a pair of Focus SE's by the time the review is published. (My fingers are crossed).
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

That website's a joke, right? That can't be real. Maybe I've been gone for too long and have missed the joke? lol

Lol....it's a joke! It has to be!
Edited by BrolicBeast - 2/16/13 at 4:07pm
post #1546 of 3162
Do I dare look?
post #1547 of 3162
Well I saw Die Hard yesterday. I didn't think they would crank out a new one without it surpassing the previous one. But they did. I felt that the storyline was rushed and felt less high tech than the previous releases. The one redeeming thing was the IMAX 4k DLP theater I was in where I saw Prometheus; this is the most pristine image quality I have ever laid eyes on.

It's safe to say that Die Hard 4 is still the king of action movies. smile.gif
post #1548 of 3162
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantYnot View Post

Well I saw Die Hard yesterday. I didn't think they would crank out a new one without it surpassing the previous one. But they did. I felt that the storyline was rushed and felt less high tech than the previous releases. The one redeeming thing was the IMAX 4k DLP theater I was in where I saw Prometheus; this is the most pristine image quality I have ever laid eyes on.

It's safe to say that Die Hard 4 is still the king of action movies. smile.gif

Die Hard 4 was and still is a knockout presentation--I absolutely love the McLane v. Fighter Jet scene toward the end, along with many others. I haven't been paying much attention to the new one--it's so hard to top 4. Best image quality? I may need to check it out. Since you have the frame of reference w/ Prometheus in the same theater, how close would say the PQ is? How about AQ?
post #1549 of 3162
Thread Starter 
Video: J-River Media Center
post #1550 of 3162
Awesome video Matt! Thanks for that! J River looks like the real deal. Glad it's workin' out for you in your awesome theater.

Lookin' forward to seeing you on Sunday. smile.gif

Craig
post #1551 of 3162
I use J River and JRemote with my music server and love it. I have no interest in loading my movies but you and JRiver have a video media capability with a very high cool factor. Very nice!!
post #1552 of 3162
Hi all,

Great video Matt!

Now, if you decide to go all digital, what will you use the bdp-105 for??rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif
post #1553 of 3162
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Awesome video Matt! Thanks for that! J River looks like the real deal. Glad it's workin' out for you in your awesome theater.

Lookin' forward to seeing you on Sunday. smile.gif

Craig

Thanks Craig! JRiver is definitely the real deal! I need to build a dedicated server though.....my current 7.5 TB isn't enough and as I'm down to my last 2 TB, I find myself triaging movies for import and I don't want to compress the files (only an issue for very large collections). But the experience is remarkable!

I'm definitely looking forward to heading up there on Sunday too. cool.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

I use J River and JRemote with my music server and love it. I have no interest in loading my movies but you and JRiver have a video media capability with a very high cool factor. Very nice!!

JRiver is worth more than its price for its music management capabilities alone! I could easily use this just for music and still feel like the value is through the roof! The video management capabilities are cool though....Jremote is a knockout! No lag, snappy, the whole 9 yards. I wanted to cover more app functionality in the video, but if I made that video any longer, it would belong on TV and not YouTube. Lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiallo View Post

Hi all,

Great video Matt!

Now, if you decide to go all digital, what will you use the bdp-105 for??rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif

Thanks Al! How are you, man? Oh I still use the Oppo's SABRE DACs for certain 2-channel listening and I also use the Roku stick through its MHL input. Also for SACDs, which I love :-)
post #1554 of 3162
All good Matt, all good.......Second baby on the way so must leave the HT/Music aside for the moment as the wife needs a lot of attention for the time being!tongue.gif
Edited by aldiallo - 2/19/13 at 5:07am
post #1555 of 3162
Very nice video Matt. Now I am really looking forward to getting my own server system up and running. Looking forward to Sunday as well smile.gif.
post #1556 of 3162
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Very nice video Matt. Now I am really looking forward to getting my own server system up and running. Looking forward to Sunday as well smile.gif.

Thank Mike—glad you like the video. That is one of those programs where it helps to see it in action to really get an idea of the experience. Its on-paper specs are outstanding, but it’s in actual use that it truly shines. See you Sunday! I’m bringing up the Superleo and Scubasteve Demo Disc files on my 128GB flash drive for Dennis to copy—you’re welcome to copy them as well, if you want to bring a laptop with you.
post #1557 of 3162
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Thank Mike—glad you like the video. That is one of those programs where it helps to see it in action to really get an idea of the experience. Its on-paper specs are outstanding, but it’s in actual use that it truly shines. See you Sunday! I’m bringing up the Superleo and Scubasteve Demo Disc files on my 128GB flash drive for Dennis to copy—you’re welcome to copy them as well, if you want to bring a laptop with you.
If Dennis is going to copy them, then I will just get a copy from him at some point. I travel better when I travel light. But that video really is cool and now that I see it in action, I can't wait to get it up and running in my theater as well.
post #1558 of 3162
Yeah, I'm looking forward to trying that How To Train Your Dragon scene again - this time without it kicking my amp into protection mode!! biggrin.gif The Seaton Submersive (and a 90 Hz crossover) I've gotten since then should ensure smooth sailing this time, I'm sure.

Mike, I will also make you a copy of Craig's music demo disc for Sunday. Looking forward to the GTG!

Yes, media servers are definately the way to go. Looking forward to getting a Baetis media server soon myself, and helping Mike (and maybe Craig) with theirs as well. I will check out your video shortly, I can't see the video until I get out of the office...

Matt - Craig and I watched Total Recall the other night at his place, and his BDP-103 / Integra 80.3 also had the dropout issue too. We kicked over to LPCM, and it worked fine after that, but Craig also mentioned he thought he heard a drop in audio quality (or at least a drop in volume) in LPCM vs bitstreaming. It might be a fun test to try on Sunday to see if we hear a difference once levels are matched....
Edited by DMark1 - 2/19/13 at 8:01am
post #1559 of 3162
Dennis, that's the music demo disk I asked about before right? I am really looking forward to getting this media server. HTTYD is fantastic and that was one of the movies that kicked me into protection mode. That is, until we fixed the issue with the SMS-1. Another factor that I am looking forward to with the server is getting my DVD racks out of my room. Even though I have a small room, it still might make it look more open. But, I do wonder if it will affect the sound. No matter what, that is going to open up more bare wall space and I guess it's possible that the racks with DVD's acted as some sort of natural diffusion. It will be interesting to see if I notice a difference in the sound.
post #1560 of 3162
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark1 View Post


Matt - Craig and I watched Total Recall the other night at his place, and his BDP-103 / Integra 80.3 also had the dropout issue too. We kicked over to LPCM, and it worked fine after that, but Craig also mentioned he thought he heard a drop in audio quality (or at least a drop in volume) in LPCM vs bitstreaming. It might be a fun test to try on Sunday to see if we hear a difference once levels are matched....

Is this related to the Oppo firmware issue that is being discussed on that thread, or a separate issue?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › What's Your System Configuration › BrolicBeast's Living Room Theater