or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › What's Your System Configuration › BrolicBeast's Living Room Theater
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BrolicBeast's Living Room Theater - Page 9

post #241 of 3168
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Holy smokes, they advise against using Power Conditioners? I don't know how on earth I missed that. I hope that's not to blame for this issue. At least it was returned to you in excellent condition.
shhhh, don't say nothing Seriously I don't really think that's why yours is having issues though...You know how many people have theirs using a power conditioner, inclueding me

Quote:
I made the mistake of throwing away the box it arrived in back in 2010, so i had to pay $25 to get a brand new packaging box to return the amp in. Good grief!!!
That's not that bad of a price $25, Stewart wants 100 bucks for a box and B&W boxes go for over $300 dollars for 802N and that's for one speaker
I'm sure someone here would have loan you a Emo box, I think all the XPA 2-3-5, for the exemption of the 1 are all the same. The important thing here is that you'll get your amp back fix and in the same shape.

Good luck

Djoel
post #242 of 3168
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Ah yes, everyone needs a media room! To me, it's the most essential room in the house! lol...yeah, the way Sonos works is, you have three ways to get music delivered. A) the Zone-Player 120 with the built-in amplifier, B) the Zone-Player 90 with just the Analog/Digital Outpits (for a receiver or processor), and 3) a Sonos S5 module. If you don't want to run eight-million wires, you will need one of the above products in each room you desire movies in. If you have a receiver in the media room, you can use that receiver's Zone 2 and Zone 3 capabilities for any adjacent rooms, since running wires to rooms that close could be easy. That would certainly save some $ if possible.

You know--i think I will do a video dedicated to the Sonos system next week. I did one a while ago, but deleted it because SO much has changed since I shot it (back in early 09). I truly am delighted that you were able to glean some information from my videos!

so if i wanted in ceiling speakers but on the total other end up the house, could the i put the sonos s5 module someplace then run the speakers into the wall and ceiling?

i really could pick your brain for a long time, theres so much about your set up i want to duplicate, so thanks for taking the time to answer
post #243 of 3168
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Holy smokes, they advise against using Power Conditioners? I don't know how on earth I missed that. I hope that's not to blame for this issue. At least it was returned to you in excellent condition.

I made the mistake of throwing away the box it arrived in back in 2010, so i had to pay $25 to get a brand new packaging box to return the amp in. Good grief!!!

The principal reason for this, I'm told, is the concern that the conditioner limits current available to the amplifier, which compromises performance (and, I guess, could cause other problems under extreme circumstances). When I told manufacturers I had a Tripplite LCR2400 they were okay with it, as the LCR would take 2400W, as does the Furman SPR-20i I now have and which you were (are) planning to get. And even though my SPR is chained to the 15A Furman Elite-15PFi, it's no issue because the 15PFi has a 55A current reserve. Needless to say, I have no power problem. So I think Emotiva amps should work okay on a good conditioner with sufficient capability. In fact, the XPA-1 review I read mentioned running the entire system on a 15A circuit.
post #244 of 3168
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post


The principal reason for this, I'm told, is the concern that the conditioner limits current available to the amplifier, which compromises performance (and, I guess, could cause other problems under extreme circumstances). When I told manufacturers I had a Tripplite LCR2400 they were okay with it, as the LCR would take 2400W, as does the Furman SPR-20i I now have and which you were (are) planning to get. And even though my SPR is chained to the 15A Furman Elite-15PFi, it's no issue because the 15PFi has a 55A current reserve. Needless to say, I have no power problem. So I think Emotiva amps should work okay on a good conditioner with sufficient capability. In fact, the XPA-1 review I read mentioned running the entire system on a 15A circuit.

I have the Denon POA connected to the Furman which has no problems at all. I was advised to connect it to the Furman due to our inconsistent power over here.
post #245 of 3168
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post


Audio Advisor has them, and at excellent prices.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=260

Thanks prepress your right not bad prices.
post #246 of 3168
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

The principal reason for this, I'm told, is the concern that the conditioner limits current available to the amplifier, which compromises performance (and, I guess, could cause other problems under extreme circumstances). When I told manufacturers I had a Tripplite LCR2400 they were okay with it, as the LCR would take 2400W, as does the Furman SPR-20i I now have and which you were (are) planning to get. And even though my SPR is chained to the 15A Furman Elite-15PFi, it's no issue because the 15PFi has a 55A current reserve. Needless to say, I have no power problem. So I think Emotiva amps should work okay on a good conditioner with sufficient capability. In fact, the XPA-1 review I read mentioned running the entire system on a 15A circuit.

Yeah, I still plan on getting that Furman eventually, but too many things are popping up that prevent me from doing so. I've strongly considering turning my guest room into a dedicated theater, and making the living room a two channel, music -only area, but I'm undecided on that one. this weekend I will clear out that room completely and decide for SURE what I plan on doing.

i think I read that XPA-1 review as well--one of the folks over at Secrets of HT & HiFi.
post #247 of 3168
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Thanks prepress your right not bad prices.

I wouldn't have even considered Pangea Audio cables if I hadn't seen that prepress had owned them. Looking at his equipment list, you get the thought that if it could run that equipment well (prior to destroying an outlet in his power conditioner), then there must be something good about them. lol
post #248 of 3168
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalpride66 View Post

so if i wanted in ceiling speakers but on the total other end up the house, could the i put the sonos s5 module someplace then run the speakers into the wall and ceiling?

i really could pick your brain for a long time, theres so much about your set up i want to duplicate, so thanks for taking the time to answer

Oh nah, the S5 is an active speaker module (didn't know what exactly to call it) Check it out here. Think of it as a great sounding boom box whose only source is that of the Sonos system. Any room that has an S5, you won't need any other speakers. BUT, if you have zone-player, then you'll need to route external speakers to a desired location.
post #249 of 3168
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Oh nah, the S5 is an active speaker module (didn't know what exactly to call it) Check it out here. Think of it as a great sounding boom box whose only source is that of the Sonos system. Any room that has an S5, you won't need any other speakers. BUT, if you have zone-player, then you'll need to route external speakers to a desired location.

ok, i think i understand it now.... im gonna keep an eye out for any future youtube videos!
post #250 of 3168
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post


I wouldn't have even considered Pangea Audio cables if I hadn't seen that prepress had owned them. Looking at his equipment list, you get the thought that if it could run that equipment well (prior to destroying an outlet in his power conditioner), then there must be something good about them. lol

Those cables look neat. The only thing is they dont sell IEC(M) to IEC(F)
post #251 of 3168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Those cables look neat. The only thing is they dont sell IEC(M) to IEC(F)

Ah, a chance to learn something. Does the female end plug into the component, with the male going to the wall? And if so, how is the female end different from the usual 2/3-hole openings for the component end on typical cords?

There are adapters available for such terminations; I wonder how well they'd work with hefty cords like Pangeas though.
post #252 of 3168
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post


Ah, a chance to learn something. Does the female end plug into the component, with the male going to the wall? And if so, how is the female end different from the usual 2/3-hole openings for the component end on typical cords?

There are adapters available for such terminations; I wonder how well they'd work with hefty cords like Pangeas though.

The male end goes to the Furman. I'm curious to know if what we call IEC M to IEC F is the same thing. I'll have to bring out a pic so we are talking about the same thing and if called something different in the U.S I would love to know.

Sorry brolic were taking up your thread.
post #253 of 3168
Just curious what do you guys call these? Because when I asked Audio Advisor they never heard of them which I find quite surprising.

post #254 of 3168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Just curious what do you guys call these? Because when I asked Audio Advisor they never heard of them which I find quite surprising.


I have seen these before, on sites that specialize in cables, such as Cables to Go. It's an extension cord (male to female, or IEC320C14 to IEC320C13). Female goes to the device, male to another power cord. I don't know of any for high-end audio/video applications specifically, though.
post #255 of 3168
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post


I have seen these before, on sites that specialize in cables, such as Cables to Go. It's an extension cord (male to female, or IEC320C14 to IEC320C13). Female goes to the device, male to another power cord. I don't know of any for high-end audio/video applications specifically, though.

I have a big Kimber cable (IEC320C14 to IEC320C13) which is connected to my pre amp to the Furman.

Actually come to think of it mine must of been custom made.
post #256 of 3168
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Sorry brolic were taking up your thread.

No need for apologies--i am here to learn, and that is exactly what I'm doing right now with this IEC, ABCDEFG Adapter talk. lolol
post #257 of 3168
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post


No need for apologies--i am here to learn, and that is exactly what I'm doing right now with this IEC, ABCDEFG Adapter talk. lolol

Lol don't worry I'm the same I didn't realise mine were custom made until the shop owner had told me. I thought they can buy them highend off the shelf.
post #258 of 3168
Thread Starter 
But alas, I am thinking once Emotiva receives, fixes, and returns my XPA-5 to me, this may be the perfect opportunity to buy a two-channel amp for the surrounds, and use the XPA-5 to Bi-Amp my LRs and continue to feed the center. That's 400 watts of excellence per channel for the LRs. Anybody notice a difference in bi-amping their speakers. If so, how big of a difference was it?
post #259 of 3168
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

But alas, I am thinking once Emotiva receives, fixes, and returns my XPA-5 to me, this may be the perfect opportunity to buy a two-channel amp for the surrounds, and use the XPA-5 to Bi-Amp my LRs and continue to feed the center. That's 400 watts of excellence per channel for the LRs. Anybody notice a difference in bi-amping their speakers. If so, how big of a difference was it?

For a long time, I bi-amped my speakers (passively, I might add), with 2 pair of B&K monos. When I took one pair out, the sound was noticeably less full.
post #260 of 3168
Well to be honest I'm more a mono-blocking for each speaker kind of guy as I prefer the more brute force approach but I can definitely appreciate what a proper bi-amped speaker can do.
post #261 of 3168
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post
Well to be honest I'm more a mono-blocking for each speaker kind of guy as I prefer the more brute force approach but I can definitely appreciate what a proper bi-amped speaker can do.

Mono block good

Djoel
post #262 of 3168
Thread Starter 
I am a fan of Monoblocking as well, but with a forthcoming semi-impromptu kitchen renovation, five monoblocks simply won't happen anytime soon. i'm actually still on the fence about the Anthem P5...Mercy that is a promising amplifier. The fact that it requires power from two-separate circuits (perfect for my two 20-amp circuits with adjacent outlets )
post #263 of 3168
Yeah that's a beast of an amp. I'd like to find some ATI 1502s for each speaker but I know it's gonna be hard since they're fairly old amps. Still I have a certain fascination with ATIs first amps so I'd like to get them if possible.
post #264 of 3168
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Yeah that's a beast of an amp. I'd like to find some ATI 1502s for each speaker but I know it's gonna be hard since they're fairly old amps. Still I have a certain fascination with ATIs first amps so I'd like to get them if possible.

Ahh, I am unfamiliar with ATI Amplifiers. I will definitely have to research them this evening. As soon as I see ATI, I immediately think....RADEON!!!
post #265 of 3168
Hi, I have the RF-62 fronts with the RC-62 center. Couple ques for you..

Ever have problems with the center and dialog when watching movies? I have a Pioneer vsx-1018 receiver and after calibrations I usually have to crank the center up some in order to hear the dialog. I am an apartment dweller and can't have my stuff at reference levels.

2. Where'd ya get those surrounds? Any particular reason you didn't get the matching ones? Any problems with them matching the other speakers? I just haven't been able to justify the cost of the matching Klipsch surrounds. I'm still using my Quintet's for surrounds. In fact, the only way I was able to get my Rf-62's was because Bestbuy has some type of error where I got them for $100 each. And the 12 digital sub for $200. It was the deal of a lifetime.

Thanks bud.
post #266 of 3168
BrolicBeast,

How do you like your Integra DHC-80.2? I'm thinking of getting this to replace my Anthem MRX500/DVDO IScan Duo combination. I find the DVDO gives audio drop outs sometimes. I don't like audio drop outs, even if it is for a split second. I'll move my MRX500 to another room.

Do you have any issues with the Integra?
post #267 of 3168
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by templetun View Post
Hi, I have the RF-62 fronts with the RC-62 center. Couple ques for you..

Ever have problems with the center and dialog when watching movies? I have a Pioneer vsx-1018 receiver and after calibrations I usually have to crank the center up some in order to hear the dialog. I am an apartment dweller and can't have my stuff at reference levels.

2. Where'd ya get those surrounds? Any particular reason you didn't get the matching ones? Any problems with them matching the other speakers? I just haven't been able to justify the cost of the matching Klipsch surrounds. I'm still using my Quintet's for surrounds. In fact, the only way I was able to get my Rf-62's was because Bestbuy has some type of error where I got them for $100 each. And the 12 digital sub for $200. It was the deal of a lifetime.

Thanks bud.
Hey man, I't's funny you mention that, because I actually did experience that when I was using a receiver in my theater (Denon AVR-4310). It happened right after I ran Audyssey. My problem was that I used too few mic positions when running the auto-setup. I would definitely use as many positions during the setup as your receiver allows...i can almost guarantee it will improve overall sound, and dialogue intelligibility significantly.

I didn't get the matching surrounds because 1) I wanted towers and the matching surrounds are bookshelves; and 2) these towers are midrange powerhouses. I think the mid-to-high frequencies are the best to focus on for surrounds, and these fit the bill nicely. You got a pair of RF-62s for $100 each? That is the DEAL OF THE CENTURY!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerretHunter View Post
BrolicBeast,

How do you like your Integra DHC-80.2? I'm thinking of getting this to replace my Anthem MRX500/DVDO IScan Duo combination. I find the DVDO gives audio drop outs sometimes. I don't like audio drop outs, even if it is for a split second. I'll move my MRX500 to another room.

Do you have any issues with the Integra?
Greetings! I absolutely love the Integra DHC-80.2. It's perfect in nearly every way. The only one issue I had with it early on was that its analog AND digital inputs (i tried both) placed a slight delay on the audio signal when, and ONLY when, I sent it a signal from the Sonos Digital Music Zoneplayer. I experienced this issue with no other source.

I mentioned it to the good folks on the Integra DHC-80.2 Official Forum, and the folks who tested it also came up with the same delay. Thankfully, purchasing a DAC fixed the problem. Outside of that, it has worked like a charm. I will be using this technical masterpiece for years to come.......or until HDMI 1.5 makes me buy again. lol
post #268 of 3168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Just curious what do you guys call these? Because when I asked Audio Advisor they never heard of them which I find quite surprising.

I forgot about the Shunyata Venom, which comes in a 2m extension cord. That's pretty bad, as I'm using one to extend my Furman to the wall.
post #269 of 3168
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Hey man, I't's funny you mention that, because I actually did experience that when I was using a receiver in my theater (Denon AVR-4310). It happened right after I ran Audyssey. My problem was that I used too few mic positions when running the auto-setup. I would definitely use as many positions during the setup as your receiver allows...i can almost guarantee it will improve overall sound, and dialogue intelligibility significantly.

I didn't get the matching surrounds because 1) I wanted towers and the matching surrounds are bookshelves; and 2) these towers are midrange powerhouses. I think the mid-to-high frequencies are the best to focus on for surrounds, and these fit the bill nicely. You got a pair of RF-62s for $100 each? That is the DEAL OF THE CENTURY!!!!



Yeah, it was a fluke. That and the sub. I already had a Bic Acoustech sub but I couldn't pass on the deal. I went in to bestbuy yesterday looking to get the same deal on the surrounds (RS-52). They had dropped down to $116 before they were deleted. It's all about timing. The Magnolia guy said that when the manufacturer stops making them bestbuy sells their remaining stock and severely drops the price on what they have in the wharehouse. Even though they are not in stock on the system they can still be ordered. I was too late. What kind of surround speakers are they?
post #270 of 3168
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by templetun View Post

Yeah, it was a fluke. That and the sub. I already had a Bic Acoustech sub but I couldn't pass on the deal. I went in to bestbuy yesterday looking to get the same deal on the surrounds (RS-52). They had dropped down to $116 before they were deleted. It's all about timing. The Magnolia guy said that when the manufacturer stops making them bestbuy sells their remaining stock and severely drops the price on what they have in the wharehouse. Even though they are not in stock on the system they can still be ordered. I was too late. What kind of surround speakers are they?

Hey, the surrounds peakers are: Klipsch RVX-54. As of 2009, they are no longer in production by Klipsch.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › What's Your System Configuration › BrolicBeast's Living Room Theater