Originally Posted by BigBroncoB
I for one, greatly appreciate the generosity of AVS and have enjoyed my communication and dealings with the staff (Mark, Benito and the crew). Everyone has been incredibly accomodating and helpful. Thank you AVS!
BigBronco, me too.
I am new to the forum (and projectors) and knowing that this forum has been up, what, a decade or more up, and seeing how there are people really knowledgeable that seem to know each other for years, I was a bit suspicious on my chances to actually get the prjector...Meaning, maybe they would have all been reserved before it was even posted? Or having units reserved or the list changed. I don't know, it was in my head for a few seconds and didn't know what to expect.
To my surprise I got a call, the email and then the unit reserved then shipped. I cannot laud AVS integrity sufficiently enough and the transparency and integrity which with they handle sales. It's refreshing and for anyone reading this, you cannot go wrong with AVS. If you think about it, it's one of the very very few places where yo can actually buy and the post and interact publicly....telling something.
Regarding the price, not sure how it was decided, but my theory on the price is that Sony wanted to get rid of all the old pjs and that they units had to disappear immediately and not be sold to any reseller. Yes, they can be sold at $3850, but would take months. For me, it was a clear indication that Sony aims for quality, and sees refurbs as kind of an anomaly, something rare and not their business model at all. Contrast that with Epson, where refurbs are seen as normal practice and a way to engage in business. They have had refurbs for HT 1080UB, HT 1080, 6500, 8100, 8500, etc. in the website for months, in a neverending supply of things returned. There are resellers that have some of them, for months and months available as well. It's like an industry in itself. Sony / AVS make the refurbs price a non issue: limited quantities...almost a gift or charity and a strong signal that you are privileged to get one. And reading the reports, everyone is pleased.
I don't know. If I had a lot of money and didn't want the hassle of being the manufacturers QA, I'd want a Sony, not an Epson, even if Espon were to offer 1,000,000 contrast ratios....oops.
Regarding the people selling at $...you know, offering it in the classifieds is really bad taste. As long as it's a low %, it's part of life. Maybe there could be a trade-in program coupled with refurbs, where if you turned in a used but AVS "verified purchase" projector, you'd have a priority to get a refurb next time? I am not sure, there must be a way to turn resales to 0%. On the positive side, if it's 10% or like that, the refurbs going the resell way are an indication of the kind of deal the other 90% got.