or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official LG BD690/670/650/6xx Series Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official LG BD690/670/650/6xx Series Thread - Page 75

post #2221 of 2320
Strange, I sent you a pm, feels like this is off topic...
post #2222 of 2320
Am I correct in assuming that there are still no changelogs posted with any of the LG firmware updates? I have a BD630 with outdated firmware (BD5.636.00), but I'm a little leery of updating to the current version (BD5.725.00.C) without knowing what it does, since there have been some horror stories about players getting bricked with certain updates. If there aren't any compelling new features or bug fixes in the latest firmware, I might as well not risk using it, since I don't have a source to restore the current version, and I guess LG doesn't want us to know what they're changing...
post #2223 of 2320
What was the new drive and could you let me know what was the upgrade process? Currently have a BD690 and no luck upgrading so far. Thanks.
post #2224 of 2320
I'd like to know the changes before I install the update too.
post #2225 of 2320
Hi,

I'm having the following problem with my LG BD650 and was wondering if anyone's had the same problem or can suggest a solution? When playing .avi or .mp4 film files from an external HD after about the 30-40 minute mark I'm getting a lot of white noise interference which quickly progresses into black screen flickering, then loss of signal. I have to power off and restart to fix, but then the same issues return after about 5-10 minutes making all media unwatchable. Also .mp3 music files have started skipping/glitching beats constantly. I've changed all leads (HDMI, USB) several times, used two different TVs and a monitor, and I keep getting the same issues. I've had the player for just over a year and it's always worked fine until recently?? I've never connected and used online services or made any software updates.
post #2226 of 2320
try converting those files to MKV format, and try the firmware updates too...
post #2227 of 2320
I'm not sure if that's the issue as, as I said above, this has only started happening recently - I've had the player for around a year and it's been playing .mp4/.avi and .mp3 files just fine. Thanks for the reply though smile.gif

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it I haven't tested mkv files recently - is there any specific reason why they should play better than the above? If so, I'll give it a shot.
post #2228 of 2320
some MP4/AVI files aren't encoded properly, which can cause stuttering or other visual defects.
post #2229 of 2320
I tried the above, but to avail I'm afraid. Open to any other suggestions (though I'm beginning to suspect that, basically, it's just buggered). confused.gif
post #2230 of 2320
try updating the firmware?
post #2231 of 2320
Do you think that the firmware is the issue, given that all files and general operation has been fine/played uninterrupted for almost a year? Appreciate the help though man. Visually, it's more like a HDMI issue, maybe a HDMI port issue? I have no idea how to test that...
post #2232 of 2320
maybe, try using component cables and see if you still have video issues. If not, it could be an HDMI thing, try switching HDMI cables too. Never hurts to update the firmware also.
post #2233 of 2320
For those who have the disc grinding sound, it really is an easy fix.

Just be patient. Don't do what I did and pop a movie in 2 minutes later to test. Let the glue dry for quite a while (30 minutes to be safe). I made that mistake last night, and of course, the fix worked great. However, I went to eject my disc and there was nothing. The disc stayed in the player. Had to take apart a 2nd time to find that the disc was glued to the top magnet stabilizer. The glue that was in the spindle had been flung outward when the disc started. Now I have some nice glue lines on my disc. Should have used a DVD+R disc to test instead of my original Ratatouille disc. Doh!

BTW, make sure to clean off all the old glue and seat it in level. I used superglue.
post #2234 of 2320
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPB View Post

It is very easy to do just disassemble and re-assemble. The OEM 250GB will be unusable unless you do some trickery, info can be found in the BD590 thread.

The one thing that nobody is saying, is what kind of drives they used. I searched high and low for a NON-advanced format 2TB drive for my BD690. I thought I had found one based on some reviews but after I got the drive it must have changed, because a sticker right on the front of it said AF (Advanced Format). In any case I installed it and it worked. This is not to say AF drives will work fine, THIS PARTICULAR drive worked because I think it has some sort of 512 emulation built in.

Here's what I used, $89:

http://microcenter.com/product/406836/2TB_7,200_RPM_SATA_60Gb-s_Desktop_35_Internal_Hard_Drive_PH3200U-1I72


CPB, thanks so much for posting this. I have a BD690 that I'm now going to upgrade with the same 2TB Toshiba hard drive and swap with my parents for the BD630 I got them for Christmas year before last. (These days I rip all my movies and TV shows to an unRAID server and watch through an Intel NUC running OpenELEC XBMC so I rarely use the player at all anymore and definitely don't need one with a hard drive). What I'm wondering is, is it possible to save all the content I want to the new hard drive before I install it in the 690 or would all of it just get wiped out? I have about 500GB of shows and movies I want to put on it right away and from the little bit I've used the player's hard drive before I expect it would take FOREVER to do that through the network after the new drive is installed and a lot faster if I could load the files via a USB3 connection and then drop it in the player.

Also thanks for the tip on how to reuse the 250GB drive that came w/the 690. Do you happen to know if anyone makes a portable USB powered enclosure for desktop drives? I'd love to use it as extra storage on the go for my ultrabook but so far all 3.5" drive cases I can find require their own power source. Which seems odd to me since I know WD, Seagate, etc. make portable hard drives up to 2TB, but I guess those are all 2.5" drives in those or they are modified some other way from bare desktop drives? If my only option is to keep it plugged in I don't really have much need for that with the network storage I already have so I'll have to figure out something else to do with it.

Anyway, thanks again for your post. I'd been thinking about this hard drive upgrade and player swap w/my folks for a while now however I probably wouldn't have attempted it without someone posting a particular 2TB+ drive that actually worked for this. So although they don't know it yet, you've helped to make a nice old couple in Nebraska a little happier in their retirement. Karma points to you sir!
post #2235 of 2320
ElJimador: not a problem, glad to help smile.gif

To try and answer your questions:

It is not possible to save all the content to the hard drive before installing it. The player has to re-initialize (re-partition, wipe partitions, whatever it does) the drive in order to interface with it, and perform its locking mechanism so that the drive and the player are matched, if you will. This locking of the drive is what prevents you from re-using the old drive unless you perform the steps to unlock it. Any files you place on the drive prior to installing it in the player will be gone.

To get the data back into it, you could copy the files using CIFS/SMB. In my experience (and from what you've also seen), throughput on these fast ethernet LG NICs is downright awful. It will probably take you a day to copy 500GB of files so plan ahead. I've tested large data copies on LG BD590 and BD690, they both exhibit the same network performance issues. It's baffling. Just a heads up.

You do bring up a good point, however. It may be faster to use a USB drive (I don't think these support USB3 but who knows), plug it into the player and copy the files to the HDD that way. I have often thought of doing this before but I never got around to buying an external HDD to test with.

As for an exernal HDD enclosure for 3.5" drives, to my knowldege nobody makes a usb-only powered enclosure. All require some sort of power adapter for 3.5" desktop drives. I've read that USB simply cannot power these large drives. The best it can do is power the 2.5" laptop drives and usually that's with two USB plugs into your computer. Seems like your only option would be to keep it plugged in. I have two 250GB drives (one out of the 590 and one out of the 690) that are also collecting dust wink.gif - I hoped to reuse them on quick/cheap builds or maybe throw them into my primary computer for testing VMs, etc. Sadly 250GB isn't that big anymore biggrin.gif

Best of luck to you!
post #2236 of 2320
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPB View Post

ElJimador: not a problem, glad to help smile.gif

To try and answer your questions:

It is not possible to save all the content to the hard drive before installing it. The player has to re-initialize (re-partition, wipe partitions, whatever it does) the drive in order to interface with it, and perform its locking mechanism so that the drive and the player are matched, if you will. This locking of the drive is what prevents you from re-using the old drive unless you perform the steps to unlock it. Any files you place on the drive prior to installing it in the player will be gone.

To get the data back into it, you could copy the files using CIFS/SMB. In my experience (and from what you've also seen), throughput on these fast ethernet LG NICs is downright awful. It will probably take you a day to copy 500GB of files so plan ahead. I've tested large data copies on LG BD590 and BD690, they both exhibit the same network performance issues. It's baffling. Just a heads up.

You do bring up a good point, however. It may be faster to use a USB drive (I don't think these support USB3 but who knows), plug it into the player and copy the files to the HDD that way. I have often thought of doing this before but I never got around to buying an external HDD to test with.

As for an exernal HDD enclosure for 3.5" drives, to my knowldege nobody makes a usb-only powered enclosure. All require some sort of power adapter for 3.5" desktop drives. I've read that USB simply cannot power these large drives. The best it can do is power the 2.5" laptop drives and usually that's with two USB plugs into your computer. Seems like your only option would be to keep it plugged in. I have two 250GB drives (one out of the 590 and one out of the 690) that are also collecting dust wink.gif - I hoped to reuse them on quick/cheap builds or maybe throw them into my primary computer for testing VMs, etc. Sadly 250GB isn't that big anymore biggrin.gif

Best of luck to you!

Thanks CPB. I figured that installing the drive would wipe anything on it but thanks for confirming. And it also makes sense that desktop drives are too big to power via USB, but that's alright. I'm sure I'll still figure some use for it. I think what I'll probably do for loading data on the new Toshiba drive after I install it is just try to load same sized files via the network and USB and see which is faster. I suspect it will be USB even though I'm sure it's only USB 2.0 and not 3. If so, then the only other things I'll need to find out is if you can attach a large USB hard drive and if I can figure out some way to set up a queue.

Anyway I can figure that out. My only other question for you is if there's anything else I need to be aware of in installing the drive itself? I haven't seen a step by step on how to do it so is it just as easy as opening up the new case, replacing the hard drive, and powering it on? Or is there more to it than that?
post #2237 of 2320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post

Thanks CPB. I figured that installing the drive would wipe anything on it but thanks for confirming. And it also makes sense that desktop drives are too big to power via USB, but that's alright. I'm sure I'll still figure some use for it. I think what I'll probably do for loading data on the new Toshiba drive after I install it is just try to load same sized files via the network and USB and see which is faster. I suspect it will be USB even though I'm sure it's only USB 2.0 and not 3. If so, then the only other things I'll need to find out is if you can attach a large USB hard drive and if I can figure out some way to set up a queue.

Anyway I can figure that out. My only other question for you is if there's anything else I need to be aware of in installing the drive itself? I haven't seen a step by step on how to do it so is it just as easy as opening up the new case, replacing the hard drive, and powering it on? Or is there more to it than that?

I believe you can select multiple files to copy with the 690 so once you pick everything you want to copy, it will just automatically copy all your choices until it is done.

As for the installation, yes it really is as simple as opening up the case, carefully removing the old drive and carefully installing the new drive, then closing up the case in reverse. There are some ribbon cables and other small wires to be aware of - I had to disconnect a few - remember where they came out of! Take a picture first if it helps smile.gif -also quite a few screws had to come out.

If you get stuck on anything feel free to post pictures here, but It really is pretty straightforward.
post #2238 of 2320
Hmm. Well I tried it yesterday and the install itself was a breeze however the player doesn't recognize the new drive. I power on and get the message, "WARNING: Unable to access the hard disk drive. Please turn off the player then turn on again. If the problem continues please contact the service center." I thought maybe the SATA cable hadn't firmly snapped in place on the drive so I opened it up again to redo the connections and still got the same message after.

I can't believe it's anything I'm doing wrong since there really is nothing at all to the installation. Remove the 3 screws in back to take off the cover, remove the 4 screws holding the hard drive cage in place, unplug the SATA and power cables from the old drive, screw the new hard drive into the cage, connect the cables to the new drive and screw the cage then cover back into place. Totally straightforward operation and I didn't touch anything else and used exactly the same Toshiba drive you did. Although mine didn't have any sticker saying it's Advanced Format and I can't find that anywhere else on the drive or packaging either. Is it possible that AF is something I should actually be aiming for in a larger drive and not something to avoid? I don't know that much about hard drive specs and I'm stuck trying to figure any other reason why this isn't working.
post #2239 of 2320
Actually the Toshiba drive does have the AF sticker on the label, I just didn't notice it before. Re-installing the original drive (Hitachi, btw) into the player it recognized it right away though which confirms for me that it wasn't anything I was doing wrong with the install. The player just doesn't want to work with the particular drive I got.

Guess I'll just try some other drives from Best Buy until I stumble on one that it wants to recognize and return the others. If you're in the SF Bay Area and want some larger capacity hard drives for cheap check the open box items at the Pleasant Hill BB in a week or so and you should be able to find some nice deals. smile.gif
post #2240 of 2320
ElJimador: Try going into the setup and reformatting the drive. There should be an option in the "Others" menu

[Internal HDD Format]
Format the internal hard disk drive. All the content stored in the internal hard disk drive will be deleted after the formatting.
post #2241 of 2320
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPB View Post

ElJimador: Try going into the setup and reformatting the drive. There should be an option in the "Others" menu

[Internal HDD Format]
Format the internal hard disk drive. All the content stored in the internal hard disk drive will be deleted after the formatting.

Thanks CPB, I'll try that. I don't see an option for Internal HDD Format through Setup > Others with the original drive in the player but I'll see if it shows up there with the new drive re-installed.
post #2242 of 2320
Yep, that did the trick. All set now. Thanks again CPB.
post #2243 of 2320
Well I may have spoken too soon. It's working, but it's hit and miss every time I turn on the player now whether it wants to recognize the hard drive. I turned off the quick start and auto shutdown through the setup menu, thinking I should be more careful how I power up and down now with the big drive in there, but that doesn't seem to have any effect. I even did the Internal HDD Format again when it was the only way I could think of to get it to (re) recognize the drive (before I had loaded any files on it so no biggie). I'm only now transferring most of the shows from the USB drive to the hard drive and I'm nervous that it keeps behaving this way it's not going to do my parents any good if every time they try to use it it's a 50/50 shot they're even going to be able to access the stuff I'm recording for them.

CPB, did you have to tweak anything else with the settings to get the player to recognize the Toshiba drive consistently? If anyone else has any suggestions on this I'm all ears. Thanks.
post #2244 of 2320
Strange, no I didn't have any issues after installing the drive. I did run into a similar issue VERY sporadically on my LG BD590 (prior gen) after installing a WD Green 1.5GB (non-advanced format). After starting the player, if I would immediately go and try to browse the hard disk, it wouldn't be recognized and would ask if I wanted to reformat. My wife accidentally reformatted the drive once because of this :P.

If i waited a few seconds after bootup before going to it, it always recognized the drive and displayed the files.

Not sure if this is your issue. You might want to leave quick start and auto shutdown on. This is how i have it on my BD690 and always works fine.
post #2245 of 2320
Hi guys

I see that someone has finally managed to swap the hard drive. When the player first came out people were unable to swap drives and someone put up a website charging people to "mod" their units using "secret sauce" techniques. Now for the questions:

Is swapping the drive any different than for BD590?

Would old non-advance-format 2TB drives like Hitachi's 240UI work?

Does the player ask you to reformat the drive if you press "movie " real fast/dont allow it to spin up?

Any recommended drives?

Is this optical disk grinding a common issue?
post #2246 of 2320
Not a good sign.
post #2247 of 2320
whats not a good sign?
post #2248 of 2320
Several posts are ten days apart. Not a very popular product. CPB answered some of my questions. I answered a couple of his two years ago regarding the 590. In those two years not much interest
post #2249 of 2320
I've finally had it with my BD 690. I found out Amazon buys used players and sold them my BD 690 for $35. I went through the grinding thing, but it was under warranty and they fixed it. The other problems I've had are that if I play my own data discs it "forgets" how to read a blu-ray sometimes and vice vera. I fix it by unplugging it for a bit and when I plug it back in it works fine. Also It doesn't like WMV HD or AVI Hd. The funny thing is I traded in my BD 390 and today also and will get a $62 credit. I think that tells us something, A? I am leaning toward Getting a samsung bd-f5900, but that's for a different forum.
post #2250 of 2320
good thing both of my 690 work great :-)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official LG BD690/670/650/6xx Series Thread