or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Wilkes Barre, PA - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wilkes Barre, PA - HDTV - Page 5

post #121 of 701
Quote:


Originally posted by dwmoss
Stu,

I'll post the responce here. I'm sure everyone will enjoy it.

I'm glad you found something regarding the drop outs.
Thanks again for keeping us up to date with all the info

dave

ps. Some games on saturdays start at 1:00 others at 3:30pm

Dave,
I'll see what I can do about getting those games for you. I think we are very close to broadcasting all day.

- Stu -
post #122 of 701
Quote:


Originally posted by PaulM9999
WBRE also says 10/21 on TitanTV. They're digital feed is on Channel 13- anyone see any signs of testing yet?

Today (10-21) I observed the antenna installation and it appears like it is complete. Both stations are on the same stack about 3/4 way up WYOU's tower. My guess is that testing should begin at anytime.

- Stu -
post #123 of 701
ok,
sorry for the delay in posting this....

this email is about 5-6 weeks old now....
i'll send Barry another to find out their current status
I don't know about anyone else but i'm looking forward
to their HDTV pass throughs, not just their DTV

From Sept. 15th
BARRY'S RESPONCE

There is no date for either WBRE or WYOU to start HDTV. This is not required and will depend on the market. No earlier than next year.
Both WBRE and WYOU will be on the air the same day in October. As of yet we are still backordered on the antenna and that may cause it to slide as time is getting near. What we know is all other equipment will be installed and tested on Oct 8th.
The problem with most stations in the nation is which comes first: the chicken or the egg. The market and thus $$ are not there to pay for the multi-million dollar expense and your taxes paid for the Pennsylvania PBS stations to go HDTV, although hardly any programming and nothing but the loop at the Harrisburg station. WNEP has the major backing from their owners, the New York Times. Pax has said no but just lost a waiver request with the FCC. Fox was delaying a year, but the FCC told them this fall.

Me? I have HDTV. I've loved it from first seeing it years ago and seeing the John Glenn space flight live on HDTV next to NTSC would convince anyone. His life was saved by HDTV: The leaky valve that would have caused disaster was found by the scientists watching a HDTV replay the day after and seeing something that not one NASA or regular TV picked up. I saw this during a convention in LA and it was fantastic.

Do enjoy or nice clean SDTV signal next month, and I certainly want to see those HDTV signals come from the equipment we have in our homes. The networks already installed it for both WBRE and WYOU so we do see it at work.
---Barry Erick, CSTE, Chief Engineer
WBRE-TV and WYOU-TV

----- Original Message -----
From: David Moss
To: Barry Erick
Sent: Sunday, September 15, 2002 11:20 AM
Subject: Re: HDTV


Barry,

Thank you for the responce that WYOU DTV will go on the air around October 8th.
I have a couple more questions for you,

1. At what point will WYOU be sending through HDTV images?

2. At what point will WBRE be broadcasting digitally?

3. At what point will WBRE be sending through HDTV images?

After comparing the DTV signal that WNEP sends out to the cable and OTA analog signal, I am very anxious to be able to watch NBC and CBS offerings and not only ABC and PBS. I am one fan of DTV and can't wait for your stations to get on the ball. I noticed that both WYOU and WBRE had filed CP Extensions with the FCC for financial reasons. Has this situation improved, and do you expect to file another extension prior to the 10/1/02 deadline?


All the Best,

David W. Moss
Thornhurst, PA
----- Original Message -----
From: Barry Erick
To: David Moss
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2002 10:03 AM
Subject: Re: HDTV


WYOU DTV will go on the air around October 8. But we will not be showing any HDTV items. This will look like the 16-2 side that WNEP has.--- Barry

Barry Erick CSTE , CE
Nexstar Broadcasting
WBRE-TV (NBC) providing services for WYOU-TV (CBS)
62 S. Franklin St.
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18701
570-823.2828
570-823.4523 (fax)
berick@nbga.net
berick@wbretv.com
berick@wyou.com
----- Original Message -----
From: David Moss
To: 22jditt@nbga.net
Sent: Sunday, September 08, 2002 11:45 AM
Subject: HDTV


Dear WYOU,

I am trying to find out the status of your digital broadcasting and progress toward
showing some of the CBS' HDTV offerings available.

I do watch WNEP and WVIA digital offerings and am wondering when you plan on
joining the leaders of the area?

dave moss
thornhurst, pa
post #124 of 701
Hello,

I have been monitoring this thread. I have HDTV in Harrisburg and setting up same for parents up north. WNEP comes in great there. I really don't have high hopes for local NBC and CBS because the station group, Nexstar, only purchased low power 30kW transmitters for both stations.

The Harrisburg PBS station plays the loop plus HDTV and widescreen programming such as Tracks Ahead, Smart Travels, Nature, etc.

It is a shame since CBS and now NBC are showing HDTV in primetime. They should pass the HDTV feed.
post #125 of 701
Stu and Dave,

Thanks for the WBRE/WYOU updates. I will be checking the airwaves for their signals. Any idea on their broadcasting times?

Jeff
post #126 of 701
Quote:


Originally posted by Jeff Williams
Stu and Dave,

Thanks for the WBRE/WYOU updates. I will be checking the airwaves for their signals. Any idea on their broadcasting times?

Jeff

Jeff,
The antennas are in position but the transmitters are still in plastic as of yesterday. I don't see it happening sooner than a week from now. No idea on broadcast times.

- Stu -
post #127 of 701
Quote:


Originally posted by jsb_hburg
Hello,

I have been monitoring this thread. I have HDTV in Harrisburg and setting up same for parents up north. WNEP comes in great there. I really don't have high hopes for local NBC and CBS because the station group, Nexstar, only purchased low power 30kW transmitters for both stations.

The Harrisburg PBS station plays the loop plus HDTV and widescreen programming such as Tracks Ahead, Smart Travels, Nature, etc.

It is a shame since CBS and now NBC are showing HDTV in primetime. They should pass the HDTV feed.

Joe,
What town do your parents live in?

- Stu -
wnep-tv
post #128 of 701
Stu,

They live very close to Elysburg in Northumberland county.
post #129 of 701
Quote:


Originally posted by jsb_hburg
Stu,

They live very close to Elysburg in Northumberland county.

Thanks Joe. I like to get an idea where the HDTV receivers are and distances from the transmitter. We have at least 2 others in that area who pick us up. We are getting very few reports from the North and I think that is because folks between Scranton and Philly had already purchased HDTV receivers when Philly and Allentown went online.

- Stu -
post #130 of 701
Stu,

You said that you change to a fiber. Is it possible that it could affect the picture quality? I'm not complaining. It actually looks much better. NYPD Blue looks amazing tonight.

What affiliates are live in Allentown? There wouldn't happen to be a CBS or NBC affiliate online? If so, think we can get it up here? I so bad want to see football and ER in HD.

Jeff
post #131 of 701
Jeff,

Sorry, no CBS or NBC for you from Allentown.

The two DTs there are WLVT-DT (ch. 62), a PBS affiliate and WFMZ-DT (ch. 46), an indy that runs mostly upconverts.

You might want to take a long shot and look for KYW-DT (ch. 26, CBS) from Philadelphia. They've got a pretty good signal. WCAU-DT, the Philly NBC affiliate, is probably not possible for you as I can't receive them in Reading, a mere 35 miles from the tower.

Thank goodness for WNEP-DT or I wouldn't have ABC...their Philly affiliate doesn't make it to Reading, either.

Dave
post #132 of 701
Dave,

I read heard that WCAU is upgrading their equipment to a more powerful transmitter. Maybe then you will be able to pick them up.

I doubt that I will be able to get Philly stations though. I'm about 90-100 miles from Philly. I would have to have amazing luck to pull them in.

Jeff
post #133 of 701
Quote:


Originally posted by Jeff Williams
Stu,

You said that you change to a fiber. Is it possible that it could affect the picture quality? I'm not complaining. It actually looks much better. NYPD Blue looks amazing tonight.

What affiliates are live in Allentown? There wouldn't happen to be a CBS or NBC affiliate online? If so, think we can get it up here? I so bad want to see football and ER in HD.

Jeff

Jeff,
It may have an impact on quality. It definately cured the dropout/pixelation problem, as I have seen that problem going into the transmitter before the changeover.

Did find another potential audio/video dropout problem. The Teirnan HDTV decoder that decodes the ABC HD is acting up. It needs to be re-booted almost daily. I'm going to order a replacement this week.

Allentown only has a PBS and independent I believe.

BTW: Mark our webmaster is setting up a HDTV discussion board on wnep.com. I'll let you guys know when it's up.

- Stu -
post #134 of 701
Here's the latest responce for WYOU and WBRE
I sent Barry another message asking about testing times, so
some of us can check it out. I'll post that responce when
i get it.

dave


----- Original Message -----
From: Barry Erick
To: David Moss
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 7:03 AM
Subject: Re: HDTV


We are missing one piece of equipment that is needed and were just notified yesterday that it shipped. We now expect to be on sometime next week.
----- Original Message -----
From: David Moss
To: Barry Erick
Sent: Monday, October 21, 2002 9:54 PM
Subject: Re: HDTV


Barry,

Any update on your DTV progess with WYOU and WBRE?

All the Best,

David W. Moss
Thornhurst, PA
post #135 of 701
Stu,

I still get audio dropouts and pixelation. I don't know how to put it, but it's different. Before, the picture would freeze, pixelate, and come back. Now it doesn't freeze. It shows a line of pixelation now and then. The audio dropouts are there, but different too. I'm not even going to try to explain them. I'll probably confuse myself doing it.

The upconverts look much better now. The color saturation is way up.

Please let us know when Mark has the board up. I'll be frequenting there too.

Do you guys have any plans on doing any local HD production? I know that's another massive expense, but it's worth a shot.

Jeff
post #136 of 701
Quote:


Originally posted by Jeff Williams
Stu,

I still get audio dropouts and pixelation. I don't know how to put it, but it's different. Before, the picture would freeze, pixelate, and come back. Now it doesn't freeze. It shows a line of pixelation now and then. The audio dropouts are there, but different too. I'm not even going to try to explain them. I'll probably confuse myself doing it.

The upconverts look much better now. The color saturation is way up.

Please let us know when Mark has the board up. I'll be frequenting there too.

Do you guys have any plans on doing any local HD production? I know that's another massive expense, but it's worth a shot.

Jeff

Jeff,
You may only see those problems during a HD broadcast. Watch between 6 and 8pm and it should be clean. We have other spotters out there watching and all confirm the upconverts are solid. I have a bad decoder on the network side. I'm replacing it asap.

Our studio cameras are capable to shoot 16x9, but in SD only. We are building a new news set and wide screen design is being considered. True HD production is some time off.

- Stu -
post #137 of 701
Stu,

I will watch the news at 11 tonight. I won't be home before that. Please don't make us beg for a 16:9 newscast. That would be very cool. Please do take it into consideration when planning the new set. Can you, in real time, take the 16:9 signal and crop it to 4:3 for the standard broadcast. I can see that being the only hitch in going to 16:9. I don't think many people would be up for a letterbox presentation of the news.

Jeff
post #138 of 701
Thread Starter 
Stu,
Any progress on adding that piece of equipment to the transmitter that will make your signal as strong as WVIA?
Thanks,
Paul
post #139 of 701
Stu,

I have a volume question for you. The 16-1 station seems to be at a lower volume then most stations. If i'm watching the TV and not using the dolby digital to my receiver (just using the TV's volume). I notice that I must turn the TV volume up much higher for a similar sound level when watching 16-1. That was the case, at least last night.

If I change the channel I'd notice a big, big difference in volume. It reminds me of HDNET having a lower volume that other stations on Directv. This was noticed during your 720p broadcasts (not 6-8) so I'm not sure if it has to do with the same problems with the frequent drop outs I also saw last night.

dave
post #140 of 701
Quote:


Originally posted by dwmoss
Stu,

I have a volume question for you. The 16-1 station seems to be at a lower volume then most stations. If i'm watching the TV and not using the dolby digital to my receiver (just using the TV's volume). I notice that I must turn the TV volume up much higher for a similar sound level when watching 16-1. That was the case, at least last night.

If I change the channel I'd notice a big, big difference in volume. It reminds me of HDNET having a lower volume that other stations on Directv. This was noticed during your 720p broadcasts (not 6-8) so I'm not sure if it has to do with the same problems with the frequent drop outs I also saw last night.

dave

Dave,
I'll fix that.
- Stu -
post #141 of 701
Quote:


Originally posted by PaulM9999
Stu,
Any progress on adding that piece of equipment to the transmitter that will make your signal as strong as WVIA?
Thanks,
Paul

Paul,
No sooner than Spring 2003.
- Stu -
post #142 of 701
Quote:


Originally posted by swilson
Paul,
No sooner than Spring 2003.
- Stu -

I hope that helps me receive your signal in Nazareth, PA where I cannot pick it up at all now.

Bob
post #143 of 701
Stu,

What is the new WNEP commercial referring to? It mentions something a new digital WNEP. It wouldn't happen to be anything the lines of digital broadcasting?

Jeff
post #144 of 701
Quote:


Originally posted by Jeff Williams
Stu,

What is the new WNEP commercial referring to? It mentions something a new digital WNEP. It wouldn't happen to be anything the lines of digital broadcasting?

Jeff

Yes it is. They are having a HDTV kickoff for November. Basically giving away HDTV sets, set top boxes and dvd players.

Since we began operation in May, we haven't mentioned anything on the air about it - only on the web. That changes next month.

Did you watch Backdraft last night? Any dropouts? I changed the network decoder.

- Stu -
post #145 of 701
Stu,

What does all that mean for HD channels? Can we expect any changes soon? I think it's a nice way to inform the general public about it. People seem to remember things better when it's free. Hopefully it'll spark interest in HD locally. It would be nice to put some pressure on WBRE and WYOU to broadcast HD sooner.

I watched some of Backdraft and recorded the rest of it. I didn't notice any dropouts of the audio alone. I did have a few signal break-ups, but I think that is a reception problem.

Jeff
post #146 of 701
Stu,

I would think that us early adopters and promoters of WNEP-DT should be given the booty! I'm sure we all could use a new STB or HDTV!!
post #147 of 701
Quote:


Originally posted by Jeff Williams
Stu,

What does all that mean for HD channels? Can we expect any changes soon? I think it's a nice way to inform the general public about it. People seem to remember things better when it's free. Hopefully it'll spark interest in HD locally. It would be nice to put some pressure on WBRE and WYOU to broadcast HD sooner.

I watched some of Backdraft and recorded the rest of it. I didn't notice any dropouts of the audio alone. I did have a few signal break-ups, but I think that is a reception problem.

Jeff

What kind of changes were you expecting Jeff? Can't change much more except more hours and that is not far off.

Once we start promoting this, expect more HDTV sales at Circuit City!

- Stu -
post #148 of 701
Quote:


Originally posted by dwmoss
Stu,

I would think that us early adopters and promoters of WNEP-DT should be given the booty! I'm sure we all could use a new STB or HDTV!!

I agree Dave. It's the pioneers like yourself that we depend on for signal and quality checks, and I very much appreciate it.

Not sure how this contest is going to work, that's a different department, but be sure to enter.

- Stu -
post #149 of 701
Stu,

I was basically referring to the hours and the possibility of the 16:9 news broadcast. I saw a few of the promotions already. Can't wait until the contests start.

Jeff
post #150 of 701
Any news on WBRE/WYOU? Today is the deadline for them I believe. I'm patiently waiting though.

Jeff
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Wilkes Barre, PA - HDTV