or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony HX929 Owner's thread (46HX929, 55HX929, 65HX929) No Price Talk
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony HX929 Owner's thread (46HX929, 55HX929, 65HX929) No Price Talk

post #1 of 15540
Thread Starter 
I've always wanted to start an Official thread

Near as I can find here on the forum I seem to be the first one to have pre-ordered the 65HX929. From Abt to be specific.

Please hold your flames about the distinction between pre-ordering and owning

As I posted in the 2011 Sony general discussion thread, I chose the HX929 over the Panny VT30 (the other leading contender for my 65" dollars) for a variety of reasons. I am sure, based on seeing comparable 2010 models of each set, that they will both be absolutely killer TVs. But for me, in my situation, the Sony seemed a better choice.

I will post info about shipping as it comes in from Abt. Word (rumor?) is that it's due to ship in August which is quite a ways off. I wouldn't be surprised if it ships sooner than that. Seems strange that Sony would tip its hand about pricing so soon in advance. That said, since the prices seem to be a good deal lower than expected, perhaps Sony did this to get people like me not to buy a different set

Back with more as I have it..

EDIT: here is a link to the HX92x Settings Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1340974
post #2 of 15540
Can't you include 46HX929 in this thread?

- from a future owner of 46HX929
post #3 of 15540
Thread Starter 
Yikes sorry! Didn't research enough to know that the was a 46". Let me see if I can go edit the title...

Also glad too b/c the 46" would ship sooner, potentially much sooner, so we'll have a sense of performance of the larger models based on tests of the 46.
post #4 of 15540
Thread Starter 
Got a call from Abt confirming my preorder and verifying info. They said the preliminary date shown in their system for the 65 is September. Yowza.
post #5 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

They said the preliminary date shown in their system for the 65 is September. Yowza.

Sony should be announcing the 2012/2013 model by then.
post #6 of 15540
Awesome, I'm getting one too - can't decide which size though
Congrats on being the first one though!
post #7 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Sony should be announcing the 2012/2013 model by then.

Seriously , that's impossibile.....
post #8 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

I've always wanted to start an Official thread

Near as I can find here on the forum I seem to be the first one to have pre-ordered the 65HX929. From Abt to be specific.

Please hold your flames about the distinction between pre-ordering and owning

As I posted in the 2011 Sony general discussion thread, I chose the HX929 over the Panny VT30 (the other leading contender for my 65" dollars) for a variety of reasons. I am sure, based on seeing comparable 2010 models of each set, that they will both be absolutely killer TVs. But for me, in my situation, the Sony seemed a better choice.

I will post info about shipping as it comes in from Abt. Word (rumor?) is that it's due to ship in August which is quite a ways off. I wouldn't be surprised if it ships sooner than that. Seems strange that Sony would tip its hand about pricing so soon in advance. That said, since the prices seem to be a good deal lower than expected, perhaps Sony did this to get people like me not to buy a different set

Back with more as I have it..

While I respect your enthusiasm for getting a 929. A new models thread starter should be someone that actually owns one and keeps an updated first post with info on the model. Not expecting to get one 6 months from now, you very well may grow tired waiting and move onto something else.
post #9 of 15540
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post

While I respect your enthusiasm for getting a 929. A new models thread starter should be someone that actually owns one and keeps an updated first post with info on the model. Not expecting to get one 6 months from now, you very well may grow tired waiting and move onto something else.

Anything is possible, though not super likely in this case. I don't pull the trigger on $5k expenditures lightly. I have spent a fair amount of time viewing the 909 and VT25, and have a pretty good sense for what works better for me, in my viewing environment, etc.

The likeliest reasons I choose something else is that Sony never ships the 65", or, that something like the 70" Sharp (the full backlit version, not the cheaper edge lit one recently announced at $3k) ships first *and* gets shown via reviews to perform materially better than the 909. Not super likely IMO.
post #10 of 15540
Any specs yet on the size of the 65" (width, height, depth)?
post #11 of 15540
I'm still considering the VT30, the Samsung D8000 and the HX929. I'm going to wait to see each of them before putting any money down.
post #12 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryWaz View Post

Any specs yet on the size of the 65" (width, height, depth)?

I'm curious too. I remember seeing on one of the sites where it was available for pre-order - that it was 90 pounds with the box, so if it's accurate - then net weight with a stand should be around 80 pounds. And it will weigh less than my old 52 inch Sony
post #13 of 15540
I have limited space for my TV so I'm very keen on dimensions. It appears that 46HX929 is more compact than 46HX909. This means that the bezel is thinner - very nice!

46HX929
Width 42.625"
Height 26"
Depth 1.5" (no stand)

46HX909:
Width 44.1 in
Height 27.4 in
Depth 2.6 in (no stand)
post #14 of 15540
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryWaz View Post

Any specs yet on the size of the 65" (width, height, depth)?

The specs I think were in the Sony 2011 thread that popped up during CES and got pushed to the 2nd or 3rd page. I vaguely recall that the stand for the 65" measures 15.8" deep which was a relief as the piece of furniture it'll sit on is 16.6" deep

I don't recall the other dimensions off hand...off to check the other thread to see if I can find them...
post #15 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by milk View Post

I'm still considering the VT30, the Samsung D8000 and the HX929. I'm going to wait to see each of them before putting any money down.

Aren't we talking about almost half a year before the 929 sets comes out?
post #16 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe View Post

Aren't we talking about almost half a year before the 929 sets comes out?

46" and 55" are to arrive in April.
post #17 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe View Post

Aren't we talking about almost half a year before the 929 sets comes out?

Yeah, only the 65" version will come out later in the year.
post #18 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdz View Post

I have limited space for my TV so I'm very keen on dimensions. It appears that 46HX929 is more compact than 46HX909. This means that the bezel is thinner - very nice!

Yes, the 909 has more (wider) black border/bezel as well as a very thin frame of metal that outlines the tv.

The 929 loses the metal lining around the set (thankfully) and has a thinner bezel. Same bezel and monolith design as the nx810 series. My guess is the nx810 and 929 are identical as far as exterior aesthetics and bezel.
post #19 of 15540
Which makes the point: the nx810 is a terrific buy right now. The nx810 (46",55",60") has the same good looking design and bezel as the 929 but half the price -- if you don't mind edge-lit.
post #20 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by milk View Post

Yes, the 909 has more (wider) black border/bezel as well as a very thin frame of metal that outlines the tv.

The 929 loses the metal lining around the set (thankfully) and has a thinner bezel. Same bezel and monolith design as the nx810 series. My guess is the nx810 and 929 are identical as far as exterior aesthetics and bezel.

Why is losing the metal lining around the set a good thing? I find that it certainly makes the TV look nicer. They could of still kept the thinner black border like the NX810 and just kept the metal lining, that would of been perfect IMO.
post #21 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by milk View Post

Which makes the point: the nx810 is a terrific buy right now. The nx810 (46",55",60") has the same good looking design and bezel as the 929 but half the price -- if you don't mind edge-lit.

Yeah but with minor local dimming the difference in pq is huge. A better deal now is the 52hx909 at shopnbc for only 2k.
post #22 of 15540
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdz View Post

I have limited space for my TV so I'm very keen on dimensions. It appears that 46HX929 is more compact than 46HX909. This means that the bezel is thinner - very nice!

46HX929
Width 42.625"
Height 26"
Depth 1.5" (no stand)

46HX909:
Width 44.1 in
Height 27.4 in
Depth 2.6 in (no stand)


I would swear I saw the measurements for the 65" posted somewhere, both with and without the stand. I searched the 2011 Sony thread, along with the 929 thread on HDJ but now don't find it. I even remember the 15.8" depth (with stand) because I checked it against my furniture. Hmmm. Wonder if I am thinking of the Panny...
post #23 of 15540
I called Abt today to ask about when the 55HX929 is going to be released and they told me "early May" and even that wasn't for sure!

I'm ready for these things to come out already!
post #24 of 15540
I was hoping the 46" would make it out earlier. Maybe April.

I've still got some concern about the 1.5" depth on the 929's. Hopefully there isn't any banding.
post #25 of 15540
Looking at the ABT page, it says "available for in-store purchase". Can anyone confirm this?
post #26 of 15540
Thread Starter 
Huh where are they? I guess I should know since I preordered a 65 from them! I do recall Sony saying April/may for the first hx929 models so it's not inconceivable that a top notch retailer like Abt would get stock early.
post #27 of 15540
Anyone know if the Japanese earthquake will be affecting the availability of the hx929?

I guess I feel a little weird even asking this, with all the people over there suffering, the least of concerns should be weather or not we get our shiny new hx929's in June instead of April... but thought I'd pose the question out of interest anyway...
post #28 of 15540
as i mentioned in the 2011 sony thread, i was told "sometime in April" by the flagship sonystyle in NYC.

i called before and after the earthquake and got that same answer, but there could still be delays they dont know about.
post #29 of 15540
Thread Starter 
Saw two things of interest yesterday at a BB in NYC.

1) A Sony 60LX900. It was in the Magnolia section running a Sony demo loop. It looked absolutely amazing. It made me optimistic for the PQ on the flagship HX929 for 2011.

2) A Samsung 55D8000. It was not in an environment which would lend itself to analyzing PQ - it was on the wall of the main shop, unlike the Sony which was facing away from the lights inside the Magnolia section - but overall I'd say it looked very good. No flash lighting, good blacks, and potentially great if set up properly and viewed in a proper environment.

I am keeping an open mind and am leaving my 65HX929 preorder in for now. But I will be evaluating expert reviews and calibrations of D8000's and 46/55 HX sets as they hit...
post #30 of 15540
Sharp 935 looks pretty interesting as well - full array LED with local dimming. 65HX929 was my number one choice, but now I'm thinking about getting a 55HX929 for the bedroom instead, and 70 inch Sharp 935 for the living room
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony HX929 Owner's thread (46HX929, 55HX929, 65HX929) No Price Talk