or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony HX929 Owner's thread (46HX929, 55HX929, 65HX929) No Price Talk
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony HX929 Owner's thread (46HX929, 55HX929, 65HX929) No Price Talk - Page 5

post #121 of 15535
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

There is no base to think Gorilla has impact on the viewing angle. This glass should be just slightly thinner but there is no evidence this may improve the viewing angle.

So is it reasonable to assume that the 929 will have viewing angles similar to the 909?
post #122 of 15535
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoons View Post

So is it reasonable to assume that the 929 will have viewing angles similar to the 909?

No, absolutely not. Better assumption is that Sony is doing everything possible to have its flagship on top. So it is already known the 929 will have new electronics aiming for ultimate high-end. Monolithic designs is original idea for display but Sony is vulnerable on the LCD panel side so the issue here is from whom it will source panels for particular sizes. That may have impact on the viewing angle.
post #123 of 15535
It would certainly be bitterly disappointing for a ~$5000 TV to not have a great viewing angle, but I think there is reason to be concerned. It's one reason (among others), I'm not bothering with a pre-order.
post #124 of 15535
only 2 more weeks gentlemen... i hope.
post #125 of 15535
Some stuff on the X-Reality Pro engine from the Asia Pacific site. There's also a lot of other info on features, I hope most of these make it to the HX929 series.

http://www.sony-asia.com/microsite/b...picture-engine

There's also a link to the HX925 at the bottom of the page. I know some features are going to be different, but it's interesting nonetheless. I'm pretty intrigued by the Media Remote app for smart phones myself, I hope it'll be available for the HX929 as well. Also entering text from my VAIO laptop looks cool.
post #126 of 15535
We will have to wait and see on the X-Reality Pro. At this point, it appears to be primarily focused on low-resolution Internet video upscaling. You would assume that good SD-HD is already included in a TV in this price range--whether or not it uses super bit-mapping technology or not is irrelevant as long as the 2D HD looks good for the money in the first place.
post #127 of 15535
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyraev View Post

Some stuff on the X-Reality Pro engine from the Asia Pacific site. There's also a lot of other info on features, I hope most of these make it to the HX929 series.

Sony electronics should be top-notch, as much or bit better as Samsung D8000. What is very useful are extensive PQ settings tools. Others are gimmicks mostly better set to zero.

What is more critical is display. About it there is following statement:

OptiContrast Panel with Gorilla® Glass
Watch shows clearly under any lighting condition.

By replacing the thin layer of air between the LCD panel and the front glass with a specially-formulated dark resin, reflections are minimised and contrast and brightness are increased. This resin also provides a suitably dark background for producing rich and vibrant pictures, even in a well-lit room, and enhances the BRAVIA television's Monolithic Design concept by making the television appear to be a seamless black monolith when the screen is switched off. Plus, for the new range of BRAVIA televisions, Gorilla® Glass is used to increase the strength of the screen at a molecular level while simultaneously enabling it to be thinner and lighter than ever before.


The core issue here is if the hailed resin does not eliminate light dispersion and bending effectively concentrating it in the direct view. If so, limited viewing angle would be specific for the monolithic design.
post #128 of 15535
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

Sony electronics should be top-notch, as much or bit better as Samsung D8000. What is very useful are extensive PQ settings tools. Others are gimmicks mostly better set to zero.

What is more critical is display. About it there is following statement:

OptiContrast Panel with Gorilla® Glass
Watch shows clearly under any lighting condition.

By replacing the thin layer of air between the LCD panel and the front glass with a specially-formulated dark resin, reflections are minimised and contrast and brightness are increased. This resin also provides a suitably dark background for producing rich and vibrant pictures, even in a well-lit room, and enhances the BRAVIA television's Monolithic Design concept by making the television appear to be a seamless black monolith when the screen is switched off. Plus, for the new range of BRAVIA televisions, Gorilla® Glass is used to increase the strength of the screen at a molecular level while simultaneously enabling it to be thinner and lighter than ever before.


The core issue here is if the hailed resin does not eliminate light dispersion and bending effectively concentrating it in the direct view. If so, limited viewing angle would be specific for the monolithic design.

Nice find irkuck, thanks.
post #129 of 15535
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoons View Post

So is it reasonable to assume that the 929 will have viewing angles similar to the 909?

View angle between the 929 and 909 should be different since they are not using the same panels. The 909 was using a sharp panel which is known to provide a bit better view angle compared to other PVA panels. The 929 if I am not mistaken is going back to the Samsung panel so they should have similar view angle to Samsung's TV.

the reason sony is going back to samsung this year is sharp issue to provide enough panels for Sony. this was partial the reason for the limited availability of the 909 last year and the reason Sony midway through the year axed the nx700 and nx800 for the nx710 and nx810 which were switched to Samsung panels.
post #130 of 15535
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

The core issue here is if the hailed resin does not eliminate light dispersion and bending effectively concentrating it in the direct view. If so, limited viewing angle would be specific for the monolithic design.

Man, I hope the viewing angle is not bad with the 929's. I am getting excited about a 65", but bad viewing angles would be a deal breaker, especially for a $5000 TV. Like I mentioned earlier, I tried a 60LX900, and viewing angle was by far the worst I have seen. I realize LCD can't really compete with Plasma on viewing angle, so I was ready for it to be mediocre, but simply moving 3 feet off center from around 10' away resulted in a substantial drop in quality. I returned it.

I am ready to plunk down 5 large if they can get the viewing angles reasonable and, of course, the rest of the TV performs as we all hope it will.

Fingers and toes crossed!
post #131 of 15535
Hey guys I'm either going to get a 55vt30 or the 46hx929. It's for my bedroom with black privacy blinds they make the room almost totally black even during the day.

My problem with the 55vt30 even though it should be about the same price as the 46hx929 is panasonic is notorious for floating blacks and rising mll. And we wont really know if this is fixed till towards the end of the year, the rising mll part at least. Obviously for the money being spent a top of the line plasma with a .002 mll in 55 inch size for the same price as a 46" top of the line lcd seems like id be getting a lot more for my money going with the vt30.


My main concern is my viewing distance is only going to be 4-5 feet is 55 inches really needed for that distance.


I'm hoping this new hx929 will be able to equal or surpass the exemplary 55b8500 made by samsung a couple years back. But i guess the big issue is will 46 inches at 4-5 feet viewing really bother me. I'm used to watching 55 inches at about 6 feet will going down to 46 inches at 4 feet be really noticeable? I cant afford the 55 inch version of this tv tho. Any new local dimming lcd I'll only be able to afford the 46 inch version where if i get a top of the line plasma I could afford a 55 inch version.

Basically what it boils down to should i spend 2700 on a 46hx929 and will 46" be ok at 4-5 feet or am i already spoiled by a 55 inch at 6 feet and i'll never want to watch on the 46 inch. Or should I spend that 2700 on a 55 inch panasonic 55vt30 and pray that the rising mll is fixed and It will keep its claimed .002 mll for the life of the tvz?

Whats the better buy 46"hx929 or 55"vt30 for the same price?

PS I currently have a 55b8500 in my living room fed by time warner HD DVR and sony playstation 3 for blu rays
post #132 of 15535
Do We have a Release Date for any of the HX 929 Model's ?
post #133 of 15535
Quote:
Originally Posted by laststop311 View Post

Hey guys I'm either going to get a 55vt30 or the 46hx929. It's for my bedroom with black privacy blinds they make the room almost totally black even during the day.

My problem with the 55vt30 even though it should be about the same price as the 46hx929 is panasonic is notorious for floating blacks and rising mll. And we wont really know if this is fixed till towards the end of the year, the rising mll part at least. Obviously for the money being spent a top of the line plasma with a .002 mll in 55 inch size for the same price as a 46" top of the line lcd seems like id be getting a lot more for my money going with the vt30.


My main concern is my viewing distance is only going to be 4-5 feet is 55 inches really needed for that distance.


I'm hoping this new hx929 will be able to equal or surpass the exemplary 55b8500 made by samsung a couple years back. But i guess the big issue is will 46 inches at 4-5 feet viewing really bother me. I'm used to watching 55 inches at about 6 feet will going down to 46 inches at 4 feet be really noticeable? I cant afford the 55 inch version of this tv tho. Any new local dimming lcd I'll only be able to afford the 46 inch version where if i get a top of the line plasma I could afford a 55 inch version.

Basically what it boils down to should i spend 2700 on a 46hx929 and will 46" be ok at 4-5 feet or am i already spoiled by a 55 inch at 6 feet and i'll never want to watch on the 46 inch. Or should I spend that 2700 on a 55 inch panasonic 55vt30 and pray that the rising mll is fixed and It will keep its claimed .002 mll for the life of the tvz?

Whats the better buy 46"hx929 or 55"vt30 for the same price?

PS I currently have a 55b8500 in my living room fed by time warner HD DVR and sony playstation 3 for blu rays

i'd recommend a 32 inch tv at most if youre only 4 or 5 feet away.

you'd be crazy to go either 46 or 55 with such little space.
post #134 of 15535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post

View angle between the 929 and 909 should be different since they are not using the same panels. The 909 was using a sharp panel which is known to provide a bit better view angle compared to other PVA panels. The 929 if I am not mistaken is going back to the Samsung panel so they should have similar view angle to Samsung's TV.

the reason sony is going back to samsung this year is sharp issue to provide enough panels for Sony. this was partial the reason for the limited availability of the 909 last year and the reason Sony midway through the year axed the nx700 and nx800 for the nx710 and nx810 which were switched to Samsung panels.

Guibs, thanks for the info. When you say Samsung panels, are you referring to the same panels that are on the current Samsung flagship UN55D8000? The viewing angles on the D8000 are pretty nice for a LED set. Having observed the HX800, NX810 and HX909, the HX800 and NX810 "appeared" to have better viewing angles than the 909.
post #135 of 15535
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.B. View Post

Do We have a Release Date for any of the HX 929 Model's ?

According to SonyStyle, it is April 24th.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921666312874
post #136 of 15535
For the 55... The 65 is not expected before August.
post #137 of 15535
After pre-ordering the 46HX929, I got an email on 4/8 stating that the order was delayed until 5/9. I called SonyStyle to see if it was specific to me for some reason but they really couldn't give me an answer. I suppose an extra 2 weeks ain't that bad. Afterall, I've had my 27' Sony Trinitron for about 13 years now!
post #138 of 15535
It's quite possible the delay is due to the natural disaster that struck Japan. A few more weeks to wait for your TV is unfortunate, but of course pales in comparison to what the folks there are dealing with. Not meaning to criticize you at all, just reminding people about perspective.
post #139 of 15535
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdel View Post
After pre-ordering the 46HX929, I got an email on 4/8 stating that the order was delayed until 5/9. I called SonyStyle to see if it was specific to me for some reason but they really couldn't give me an answer. I suppose an extra 2 weeks ain't that bad. Afterall, I've had my 27' Sony Trinitron for about 13 years now!
HA I thought I was the only one that held out that long... just last Summer I upgraded from a 27" Trinitron to an EX700, soon to be getting an HX929 as well, assuming the reviews are appropriately good enough to justify the high price. (had roommates that provided the living room TV, so I just kept the old Trinitron going in my bedroom).

In a eerie coincidence, after working flawlessly for over 12 years, my Trinitron died literally three weeks before I was already planning on ordering a new Sony LED... I wasn't too disappointed; plus I googled the symptoms and the failure was probably a relatively fixable capacitor gone bad.
post #140 of 15535
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
It's quite possible the delay is due to the natural disaster that struck Japan. A few more weeks to wait for your TV is unfortunate, but of course pales in comparison to what the folks there are dealing with. Not meaning to criticize you at all, just reminding people about perspective.
Good answer. Take a look at this video, if possible watch it full screen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CXfN7gTGgs
post #141 of 15535
Interesting video. Hopefully things improve in Sendai.
post #142 of 15535
I was also planning on going with the VT30 but after reading D-Nice's latest findings that all 2011 models will have this issue to some degree I'm looking at the Sony 55HX929...anyone have any perspective on how it will compare to a high end plasma?

I also recently read an article which stated that the HX929 will not have a lot of zones or LED's...won't this hurt the overall image quality?
post #143 of 15535
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

I was also planning on going with the VT30 but after reading D-Nice's latest findings that all 2011 models will have this issue to some degree I'm looking at the Sony 55HX929...anyone have any perspective on how it will compare to a high end plasma??

No one can have any perspective on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

I also recently read an article which stated that the HX929 will not have a lot of zones or LED's...won't this hurt the overall image quality?

It is premature to speculate. Better wait a couple of weeks when products arrive.
post #144 of 15535
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp14 View Post

Man, I hope the viewing angle is not bad with the 929's. I am getting excited about a 65", but bad viewing angles would be a deal breaker, especially for a $5000 TV. Like I mentioned earlier, I tried a 60LX900, and viewing angle was by far the worst I have seen. I realize LCD can't really compete with Plasma on viewing angle, so I was ready for it to be mediocre, but simply moving 3 feet off center from around 10' away resulted in a substantial drop in quality. I returned it.

I am ready to plunk down 5 large if they can get the viewing angles reasonable and, of course, the rest of the TV performs as we all hope it will.

Fingers and toes crossed!

In this intro video from CNET at CES'11, you see the 46HX929 on the left and the 55HX929 on the right. Check out the 1:28 mark--I noticed that colors were somewhat washed out on the 46HX929 with about a 35-40 deg off-angle view.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-34468616.html

Also, in that same scene, the HX929 appears to have blooming and blue-push on the man's face. This could be just the camera, but interesting to see how it looked at CES. Also, these could just be prelim floor samples, so the final product could be quite different.
post #145 of 15535
Hi all,

I am exciting to find that much discussion. Here is my situation. I bought a samsung un46c6300 for $899 at fry's. I was impressed by it immediately(even it's only 6300 not 8000). I did see un55d8000. It is truly amazing. But I just can't afford it.

Now I found they have sony XBR 46HX909 on sale for $1099. I am going to return my 6300 for it. Do you guys think it is worth the trip? I assume xbrhx929 is at the same level as d8000, then I think xbrhx909 should worth the extra $200 when compared to c6300, right? Just want to be confirmed by you guys.
post #146 of 15535
The 909 is a better set than the 6300, but the 909 has sub-par viewing angles.
post #147 of 15535
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoons View Post

Guibs, thanks for the info. When you say Samsung panels, are you referring to the same panels that are on the current Samsung flagship UN55D8000? The viewing angles on the D8000 are pretty nice for a LED set. Having observed the HX800, NX810 and HX909, the HX800 and NX810 "appeared" to have better viewing angles than the 909.

It seems like that because the full local dimming has problems with blooming from off angle, something that doesnt really show up on edge local dimming sets.

I saw them and turned off the local dimming, it seems that VA tech is just all the same for viewing angles. SPVA and UV2A seemed about the same to me.

The HX800, NX810, and 909 seem on par with the average LCD for viewing angles.
post #148 of 15535
My Pioneer 50" Kuro Elite 111FD went bad. Right now it is under the extended warranty repair shop. They are either going to send me a brand new viewing panel from Pionner , swap it out and give it back....or give me another top end tv set.

After spending a week viewing TV's again, I did not seem impressed by any TV's. When you bring all aspects of what makes or breaks the deal of buying a TV, they just don't come close to my KURO. It's been very hard thinking I might lose my KURO if they don't authorize a new viewing panel swap. The new viewing panel itself is $2700 from what I was told today under warranty.

I might be considering the 55inch 929, depending on the viewing angles and black quality. I have spent a while researching this TV all week but need to see it in person.

Question: That silver stand that is in many of the pictures, the TV lays right on it. Looks very nice like it slides right into it. Does this come with the TV also or do you need to purchase it?
post #149 of 15535
I believe thats the Monolithic stand and it comes seperately....I think its like 250 or more unfortunately.
post #150 of 15535
the 55" was shown as available on sonystyle canada yesterday and today it's changed to backordered.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony HX929 Owner's thread (46HX929, 55HX929, 65HX929) No Price Talk