or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony HX929 Owner's thread (46HX929, 55HX929, 65HX929) No Price Talk
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony HX929 Owner's thread (46HX929, 55HX929, 65HX929) No Price Talk - Page 412

post #12331 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post


HD res was designed for 3-4PH or 30 deg viewing field. You viewing distance is 3xdiagonal which is about 6PH. It means simply you do not get all the details from high quality pictures, increasing the size or moving to the range of 4-5PH would help a little. Immersive viewing within 3PH or even less is more like cinema, requires high-quality content and concentration. It is different scenario from casual viewing.

For the OCD in me, I'll say the info on Wiki: best HDTV viewing distance, provides a lot of thought on the subject and various theories (it confirms irkurk's and adds some theory and different schools of thought). I have 17' from couch to screen, 60" is not enough for me, especially when I factor in the 1080p letterbox format. But, my 929 straight on from ~8' in a completely dark room, full screen, is perfect for somewhat immersive viewing. Meaning I don't see the minor banding.
post #12332 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadennis View Post


Kinda sucks that 5.1 only works for Amazon and not Netflix. Makes no sense if you ask me, but yes I can also confirm that I get 5.1 through amazon and not netflix

I don't know why Sony chose to use the old NetFlix api and not the one that being used on PS3. 2 different products from the same company (SONY) and 2 different NetFlix api. This is what I call weird.
post #12333 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by krips View Post

I don't know why Sony chose to use the old NetFlix api and not the one that being used on PS3. 2 different products from the same company (SONY) and 2 different NetFlix api. This is what I call weird.

Maybe the TV's CPU is just not fast enough for the new app? But, you are right it's quite annoying that the TV finally supports ARC via HDMI but the Netflix app cannot pass-through 5.1 surround.
post #12334 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmafia View Post

what is your viewing distance?

ps must have been a great day to be a member of your local knights of columbus

I sit about 11 to 12 feet from the television. I think the Knights sold my television, but I wanted them to put it in the life center of the Catholic Church or use it for themselves.
post #12335 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTguru3 View Post


Amazon is about the same price and they have a great return policy and customer service. If this set is indeed new, then take a printout of the Amazon price and negotiate a better deal. You need to also get a receipt otherwise you won't have a warranty and able to get an extended warranty if you choose to add that. I would offer around $2000.00 and no more than $2250 with a receipt.

Thank you. I initially offered him $2000 and he said he wouldn't go any lower than $2499. I told him to keep my number if anything changes.
post #12336 of 15540
Dear Colleagues,

I want to install install a longer power cord on my HX920. There is a rear door with a screw, and into that goes the cable. I've seen in some forum a photo that there's a normal connector behind that door, but I can not remember where that was.

Now I've removed the screw and still the door does not move. It has a small white plastic tab on top, and I've tried to suppress that with something thin and tried to lift it, but ... nothing moves.

Who can help? (= How do I get help on the door, not 'do not look behind the door'

sincerely
simon
post #12337 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post


Maybe the TV's CPU is just not fast enough for the new app? But, you are right it's quite annoying that the TV finally supports ARC via HDMI but the Netflix app cannot pass-through 5.1 surround.

I don't think it's the CPU, prior to finalizing on this TV, I played with Samsung UN46D8000 and Panasonic GT30 and both were able to output 5.1 audio from Netflix's stream. But so far this is the only TV that output 5.1 DD with optical cable directly attached to the TV from external speaker. Since I live in an apartment in haven't invested in AV receivers. I do have Logitech Z5500 that already blows away lots of speakers.
Here's my setup:

HDMI 1: PS3 (Audio - Toslink optical to z5500)

HDMI 2: DISH HD (Audio - Toslink optical to z5500) the second digital connection on z5500 was coaxial. I had to use coax to optical converter for dish receiver.

HDMI 3: Desktop (Analog 5.1 audio to z5500 with creative sound blaster card)
post #12338 of 15540
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-XBR55HX929-55-Inch-Local-Dimming/dp/B004QX6E7K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329846925&sr=8-1

lookin to buy a tv in the next couple of days and wondering if this is a good price? Thanks!
post #12339 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by alxrmero View Post

I think I'll go ahead and check this TV out and if its brand new unopened like he says it is then I'll probably buy it since I can't find a better deal online

as others have suggested, buyer beware on craigslist!

since there are similar deals from reputable dealers with guaranteed warranties and return policies, i wouldn't even think of buying from some stranger, no matter what their "story" is about the tv....i paid the same price at bestbuy before the superbowl and had 30 days free return and over $200 in rewards points for a future purchase...amazon also has 30 days free return and free shipping, which came in handy when i was unhappy and returned a 55VT30 to buy the 55HX929.
post #12340 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post

Netflix's site says the movie in dvd and blu-ray are in 5.1.
Netflix's site does not mention audio on streaming, just that it's in HD.

Where does one find...enable 5.1?
Don't see it anywhere for arc in the sony.
Don't see it anywhere on Netflix's site or anywhere on the sony when Netflix asks to confirm watch the streaming movie.

Any streaming Netflix members here who can suggest a streaming movie in 5.1 they have confirmed played 5.1 thru the 65hx909?

Most Netflix streaming capable devices aren't allowed 1080p or 5.1 audio. Netflix, has some security requirements for that to be allowed. I don't know one way or the other if the HX929s supports it or not. The Roku 2's do support it, I believe.
post #12341 of 15540
Hi I have 55 hx929
I have a problem with 3d I have 80 GB playstation 3 playing 3d games is working fine but when I play blu ray 3d movies from my ps3 it work for minutes then it stop and when I play it again it does not work. The briva Internet video 3d works fine and everything related to 3d works fine but the blu-ray movies from my ps3 does not What is the problem is it from my tv or ps3?
post #12342 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by danjw1 View Post

Most Netflix streaming capable devices aren't allowed 1080p or 5.1 audio. Netflix, has some security requirements for that to be allowed. I don't know one way or the other if the HX929s supports it or not. The Roku 2's do support it, I believe.

My WD TV and Windows Media Center do 5.1 surround sound pass-through just fine. It's Sony's implementation that is flawed.
post #12343 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

HD res was designed for 3-4PH or 30 deg viewing field. You viewing distance is 3xdiagonal which is about 6PH. It means simply you do not get all the details from high quality pictures, increasing the size or moving to the range of 4-5PH would help a little. Immersive viewing within 3PH or even less is more like cinema, requires high-quality content and concentration. It is different scenario from casual viewing.

sounds interesting but like i said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. i mainly watch blu-ray movies, of which the current films must be the high quality you mention. not sure what you mean by concentration. if im watching a movie im usually paying close attention and certainly enjoy immersing myself in a good film but not at the expense of pq. i dont know what is technically correct but i do know that as i move closer to the screen the picture that i see begins to degrade so my viewing distance and screen size works great for me.

ps in movie theaters i usually sit about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way to the back from the screen, as that is where the picture usually looks best to me..im just not one of those front row guys. y'all can go big, i'll save the cash and promptly spend it on more blu-rays and audio gear
post #12344 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantedboys View Post

Hi I have 55 hx929
I have a problem with 3d I have 80 GB playstation 3 playing 3d games is working fine but when I play blu ray 3d movies from my ps3 it work for minutes then it stop and when I play it again it does not work. The briva Internet video 3d works fine and everything related to 3d works fine but the blu-ray movies from my ps3 does not What is the problem is it from my tv or ps3?

Do you have the latest firmware on your TV and PS3? How do you connect from your PS3 to the TV? What kind of HDMI cable and AVR do you have if you have any?
post #12345 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by edtorious View Post


Do you have the latest firmware on your TV and PS3? How do you connect from your PS3 to the TV? What kind of HDMI cable and AVR do you have if you have any?

Yes I have the latest firmware both tv and ps3 and i am using 1.4 hdmi cable also I want to add that ps3 freeze when the 3d blu ray movies stop working and also normal blu ray movies works fine
post #12346 of 15540
Hi Everyone,
My 55HX920 (Japanese model 2012 build date) arrived yesterday. Thanks to everyone here for all the great info (and drama!) as I read through this entire thread. In addition to the Bravia I added a Sony BDZ AT750W BD player and watched the Narnia 3D movie last night. Really awesome 3D. I have only seen Avatar in 3D in an IMAX theater to compare to my 3D experience last night; Sony has done a great job here...even with the out-of-box settings. When scenes went black they were b-l-a-c-k! One interesting note is that the Japanese model doesn't include any additional menu languages so I have to navigate with a little guesswork. I haven't noticed any of the clouding or crease issues that have plagued so many in this forum. For now I look forward to enjoying all the visual real estate that has entered my living room and trying out Rizzo's settings once I figure out navigating the menus in Japanese!

Cheers
post #12347 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by braviaheart View Post

Hi Everyone,
My 55HX920 (Japanese model 2012 build date) arrived yesterday. Thanks to everyone here for all the great info (and drama!) as I read through this entire thread. In addition to the Bravia I added a Sony BDZ AT750W BD player and watched the Narnia 3D movie last night. Really awesome 3D. I have only seen Avatar in 3D in an IMAX theater to compare to my 3D experience last night; Sony has done a great job here...even with the out-of-box settings. When scenes went black they were b-l-a-c-k! One interesting note is that the Japanese model doesn't include any additional menu languages so I have to navigate with a little guesswork. I haven't noticed any of the clouding or crease issues that have plagued so many in this forum. For now I look forward to enjoying all the visual real estate that has entered my living room and trying out Rizzo's settings once I figure out navigating the menus in Japanese!

Cheers

Here's a copy of the manual with illustrations, in English. Hope this will help.

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KDL46NX720_qs.pdf
post #12348 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post

Here's a copy of the manual with illustrations, in English. Hope this will help.

Thanks for that. That manual looks a lot like the HX929 manual I found.
post #12349 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by braviaheart View Post

Hi Everyone,
My 55HX920 (Japanese model 2012 build date) arrived yesterday. Thanks to everyone here for all the great info (and drama!) as I read through this entire thread. In addition to the Bravia I added a Sony BDZ AT750W BD player and watched the Narnia 3D movie last night. Really awesome 3D. I have only seen Avatar in 3D in an IMAX theater to compare to my 3D experience last night; Sony has done a great job here...even with the out-of-box settings. When scenes went black they were b-l-a-c-k! One interesting note is that the Japanese model doesn't include any additional menu languages so I have to navigate with a little guesswork. I haven't noticed any of the clouding or crease issues that have plagued so many in this forum. For now I look forward to enjoying all the visual real estate that has entered my living room and trying out Rizzo's settings once I figure out navigating the menus in Japanese!

Cheers

here is the English I=Manual
http://esupport.sony.com/docs/imanua.../st_index.html
post #12350 of 15540
Still can't say how much better my 929 is over the D8000 I had ..... It really blows me away
post #12351 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

here is the English I=Manual

Thanks! I think I'm good to go now.
post #12352 of 15540
does anyone know, how to get the green tint out of brown people faces?
post #12353 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by braviaheart View Post

Hi Everyone,
My 55HX920 (Japanese model 2012 build date) arrived yesterday....

Congrats!
I do recommend the IMRIZZO settings for everything except sports.
The TV's preset "Sports" scene setting is pretty good.

Overall, a really great TV!
post #12354 of 15540
Hi I have 55 hx929
I have a problem with 3d I have 80 GB playstation 3 playing 3d games is working fine but when I play blu ray 3d movies from my ps3 it work for minutes then it stop and when I play it again it does not work. The briva Internet video 3d works fine and everything related to 3d works fine but the blu-ray movies from my ps3 does not What is the problem is it from my tv or ps3?

I have the latest firmware both tv and ps3 and i am using 1.4 hdmi cable also I want to add that ps3 freeze when the 3d blu ray movies stop working and also normal blu ray movies works fine
post #12355 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantedboys View Post

Hi I have 55 hx929
I have a problem with 3d I have 80 GB playstation 3 playing 3d games is working fine but when I play blu ray 3d movies from my ps3 it work for minutes then it stop and when I play it again it does not work. The briva Internet video 3d works fine and everything related to 3d works fine but the blu-ray movies from my ps3 does not What is the problem is it from my tv or ps3?

I have the latest firmware both tv and ps3 and i am using 1.4 hdmi cable also I want to add that ps3 freeze when the 3d blu ray movies stop working and also normal blu ray movies works fine

It could be the PS3 itself that causing the issue. I play the 3D movies from PS3 without any issues. I'm also able to play 3D movies from my PC without any issues.
post #12356 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantedboys View Post

Hi I have 55 hx929
I have a problem with 3d I have 80 GB playstation 3 playing 3d games is working fine but when I play blu ray 3d movies from my ps3 it work for minutes then it stop and when I play it again it does not work. The briva Internet video 3d works fine and everything related to 3d works fine but the blu-ray movies from my ps3 does not What is the problem is it from my tv or ps3?

I have the latest firmware both tv and ps3 and i am using 1.4 hdmi cable also I want to add that ps3 freeze when the 3d blu ray movies stop working and also normal blu ray movies works fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by krips View Post

It could be the PS3 itself that causing the issue. I play the 3D movies from PS3 without any issues. I'm also able to play 3D movies from my PC without any issues.

Don't you think you need to be on the PS3 thread with these inquiries?
post #12357 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by alxrmero View Post

I think I'll go ahead and check this TV out and if its brand new unopened like he says it is then I'll probably buy it since I can't find a better deal online

This is very risky if it's not a retailer. You could be mugged for your cash. You have no way of telling of whether the box has been opened and resealed or not. You don't know whether it's been dropped. Since you have no idea if they're a legit Sony dealer, you don't even know if Sony will provide warranty service. If it's not a dealer, you can't return it. It might even be hot.

IMO, it's not worth the risk. There are other legit dealers selling for the same or similar price.
post #12358 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

Don't you think you need to be on the PS3 thread with these inquiries?

Seems on-topic to me, since the poster is talking about a 55HX929.

For the record, I haven't had any problems with 3D (yet) and my PS3 on a 55HX929. This is a first-gen PS3 (60GB Wifi model) with an older high-speed cable.
post #12359 of 15540
Those of u who have this set if u could do it all over again would this be your first choice when buying a HDTV? The reason I ask is because I'm unsure whether to buy a Samsung/Panasonic plasma or this TV.
post #12360 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by alxrmero View Post

Those of u who have this set if u could do it all over again would this be your first choice when buying a HDTV? The reason I ask is because I'm unsure whether to buy a Samsung/Panasonic plasma or this TV.

I wouldn't hesitate doing it again, the only thing comparable is the 60" Elite but that's 6G's, ..... IMHO
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony HX929 Owner's thread (46HX929, 55HX929, 65HX929) No Price Talk