or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony HX929 Owner's thread (46HX929, 55HX929, 65HX929) No Price Talk
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony HX929 Owner's thread (46HX929, 55HX929, 65HX929) No Price Talk - Page 459

post #13741 of 15539
Hey guys, I have some fingerprints that turned into smudges on my 929 screen, I tried using a new microfiber cloth but that isn't working to remove them. What is recommended to safely clean the screen.
.
post #13742 of 15539
gasoline
post #13743 of 15539
JK
post #13744 of 15539
I'm in the Cinema scene mode and have Cinema 1 selected. Funny thing is I was able to change this previously when watching 3D. Others on this thread say they can change the motionflow setting while watching 3D. In this instance, I was watching 3D from DirecTV.
post #13745 of 15539
So I'm curious, just how well does something like this compare to the 9G Pioneer Kuro?

I'm currently running into issues with my 50" Kuro and will be attempting to fix it myself, but on the off chance that I'm unable to solve the problem, just how much would I sacrifice by looking at something like the 929 or Elite Pro? If I replace it I want to go much larger but every review I've read suggests that the performance still isn't quite as good across the board as the Kuro.

Just toying with the idea right now just in case things go bad. Has anyone here actually made the comparison themselves?
post #13746 of 15539
I need some help here. Is it possible to have multiple White Balance settings? All settings apart from White Balance can be set separately but I cannot seem to find a way to set White Balance separately for each scene/picture mode. Anybody?
post #13747 of 15539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallica2009 View Post

Hey guys, I have some fingerprints that turned into smudges on my 929 screen, I tried using a new microfiber cloth but that isn't working to remove them. What is recommended to safely clean the screen.
.

I use these and I get them from Costco (in Canada). http://www.optico.ca/eng/markets_consumer.php
post #13748 of 15539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallica2009 View Post

Hey guys, I have some fingerprints that turned into smudges on my 929 screen, I tried using a new microfiber cloth but that isn't working to remove them. What is recommended to safely clean the screen.
.
dampen the micro fiber cloth with water and a minute amount of a mild diluted soap solution and apply sparingly to your panel gently
Edited by IMRIZZO - 6/14/12 at 5:22pm
post #13749 of 15539
Can you tell me if this procedure has worked for you. I have had this problem for several months. One to two minutes after turning on the TV, I get a blank black screen and then the Sony logo and the TV goes back to the programming I was watching a few second later into the programming. The green power button never goes off as far as I can tell. This occurs once to twice a week. The first time this occurred Sony had me do a factory reset and turn off the HDMI but at some point after that we have had at least two new softwear upgrades and the problem has been reoccurring for many weeks. I have a new DIRECTV HR-34 and thought it was this new type of receiver that was causing the problem. I did do another factory reset this afternoon and like you originally posted will have to wait and see. I would like to know if anyone who reads this has had to do a factory reset after each sofwear update. If this latest factory reset does not correct the problem is there anything else that I should try before calling Sony? My TV is still under Sony warranty.
post #13750 of 15539
Quote:
Originally Posted by 186227 View Post

I'm in the Cinema scene mode and have Cinema 1 selected. Funny thing is I was able to change this previously when watching 3D. Others on this thread say they can change the motionflow setting while watching 3D. In this instance, I was watching 3D from DirecTV.

Make sure you did not lock the settings.
Edited by Brian-HD - 6/15/12 at 8:15pm
post #13751 of 15539
Hey guys, I have a PS3 settings related question...

I had my set calibrated and have been watching a bunch of different blu-rays. I noticed in most movies like Alien, The Descent and Avatar for example on panning shots, things in the scene were very jumpy and jittery. I went to the ps3 video settings and then to the BD 1080p 24hz output HDMI and it was on automatic. I read online people had luck with turning it off so I did, and all the jumpy jittery stuff stopped almost entirely.

Does anyone know what the deal is with that setting? And what happens when it's off? What do you all have it set to? The 929 takes 1080/24 so it would seem that it should be on in the ps3 so it makes it confusing.
post #13752 of 15539
Quote:
Originally Posted by yatsco View Post

Can you tell me if this procedure has worked for you. I have had this problem for several months. One to two minutes after turning on the TV, I get a blank black screen and then the Sony logo and the TV goes back to the programming I was watching a few second later into the programming. The green power button never goes off as far as I can tell. This occurs once to twice a week. The first time this occurred Sony had me do a factory reset and turn off the HDMI but at some point after that we have had at least two new softwear upgrades and the problem has been reoccurring for many weeks. I have a new DIRECTV HR-34 and thought it was this new type of receiver that was causing the problem. I did do another factory reset this afternoon and like you originally posted will have to wait and see. I would like to know if anyone who reads this has had to do a factory reset after each sofwear update. If this latest factory reset does not correct the problem is there anything else that I should try before calling Sony? My TV is still under Sony warranty.

Yes...I have a 32" Sony in the bedroom that was doing the 'restart thing' (as I call it) it seems.. for a long time. I followed IMRIZZO's reset post over a week ago, and it hasn't done that again. Also, after the reset, the power-up sequence is different than it ever was. (alway did get a 'chime' when powering up...now its quiet)

edit: this was the first time I did the reset, but i've had 6 or so updates.
post #13753 of 15539
I was having the random reboots every 3 or 4 days upon turning my 46"HX929 too after a recent firmware update. I followed I'MRIZZO'S reset instructions and have not had the reboot for over a week now, so I guess resetting to factory settings does the trick. As for the chime thing, the factory reset turns it off, you simply need to turn it back on.
post #13754 of 15539
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider2 View Post

Yes...I have a 32" Sony in the bedroom that was doing the 'restart thing' (as I call it) it seems.. for a long time. I followed IMRIZZO's reset post over a week ago, and it hasn't done that again. Also, after the reset, the power-up sequence is different than it ever was. (alway did get a 'chime' when powering up...now its quiet)
edit: this was the first time I did the reset, but i've had 6 or so updates.

Did you turn the chime off?

The only time there is no chime is when I turn "ON" the TV and have it set to use the audio system speakers.
post #13755 of 15539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallica2009 View Post

Hey guys, I have a PS3 settings related question...
I had my set calibrated and have been watching a bunch of different blu-rays. I noticed in most movies like Alien, The Descent and Avatar for example on panning shots, things in the scene were very jumpy and jittery. I went to the ps3 video settings and then to the BD 1080p 24hz output HDMI and it was on automatic. I read online people had luck with turning it off so I did, and all the jumpy jittery stuff stopped almost entirely.
Does anyone know what the deal is with that setting? And what happens when it's off? What do you all have it set to? The 929 takes 1080/24 so it would seem that it should be on in the ps3 so it makes it confusing.

I haven't noticed my PS3 being jittery when set to automatic for 1080p/24 . Looks nice and smooth to me, though I am using Cinemotion Auto 1 and Motion Flow set to Clear. You actually might introduce some juddering(?) when using film based sources because they are filmed at 24fps if you've set it to off. With the 1080p/24 set to off you are back to 1080p/60. I imagine it isn't much of an issue on or off though with this set, but someone else might have more insight.
Edited by Datacide - 6/15/12 at 5:12am
post #13756 of 15539
Hei guys, anyone could tell me if you are able too see the "blacker than black" levels (with a calibration disc) when you are in "video level" (16-235)?

I have a Oppo blu-ray player that can pass the "blacker than black" and I remember also the 929 does, but after the last firmware update I'm no more able to set it!!

Could you double check please?
post #13757 of 15539
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalart View Post

Did you turn the chime off?
The only time there is no chime is when I turn "ON" the TV and have it set to use the audio system speakers.

Mine has always used the internal speakers, and has always chimed. But after the reset...no more chime, (didn't turn it off myself) which is OK with me.
It was, previously, so loud I could hear the speakers distort.

Chris
post #13758 of 15539
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegladiator75 View Post

Hei guys, anyone could tell me if you are able too see the "blacker than black" levels (with a calibration disc) when you are in "video level" (16-235)?
I have a Oppo blu-ray player that can pass the "blacker than black" and I remember also the 929 does, but after the last firmware update I'm no more able to set it!!
Could you double check please?

Press Home button
Settings->Picture & Display->Pro Picture Setup->HDMI Dynamic Range
From here you can select: Auto or Limited or Full

I hope this is what you were looking for.
post #13759 of 15539
Quote:
Originally Posted by 186227 View Post

How to do access the Motionflow setting when watching 3D? In the menu, it is greyed out and I cannot not access it while watching 3d?

The availability of this setting depends on the signal being sent to the TV.

My PC is connected to my TV. Just as a test, I set the 3D Display setting on the TV to "Over-Under" while feeding it my usual Windows desktop at 1080p with a 60Hz refresh rate. Motionflow was not available. I then lowered the refresh rate to 30Hz and Motionflow was available. Granted, my desktop isn't actually 3D content but with the TV set to display 3D anyway, the results should still be valid.

Also, Motionflow may not be available in all scene select options.
post #13760 of 15539
Quote:
Originally Posted by 186227 View Post

How to do access the Motionflow setting when watching 3D? In the menu, it is greyed out and I cannot not access it while watching 3d?

It is just greyed out in the Scene you are in. Switch the Scene to Cinema and you'll see Motion Flow options for Standard, Smooth and Off. Other Scenes allow access to MotionFlow under 3D as well.
Edited by Datacide - 6/16/12 at 4:41pm
post #13761 of 15539
I wonder if you can help - I have a brand new 55HX929 (mfg april 2012) delivered 6 June, installed yesterday (6/16), with a very simple setup, until i get more toys. Verizon FIOS cable, that's it. I set it up, plug it in, works great for 4-5 minutes. Satisfied, I turned it off. Could not get it to start since then. I have the proverbial 4 blinking red LEDs. I tried all of the resets I have researched online, all to no avail. I tried your sequence to look at diagnostic log page, also to no avail. Any ideas how to proceed? Sony agreed to send me a brand new replacement. I am a bit nervous about getting another one. This is a horrible experience for first day of use. Thanks.
post #13762 of 15539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datacide View Post

I haven't noticed my PS3 being jittery when set to automatic for 1080p/24 . Looks nice and smooth to me, though I am using Cinemotion Auto 1 and Motion Flow set to Clear. You actually might introduce some juddering(?) when using film based sources because they are filmed at 24fps if you've set it to off. With the 1080p/24 set to off you are back to 1080p/60. I imagine it isn't much of an issue on or off though with this set, but someone else might have more insight.

A good example of what I'm wondering about is the blu-ray of Shrek.....With every panning scene, it seems smooth but background stuff in the scene seems to jump back and forth during the panning.......the ps3 is outputting 1080p 24hz and when I press display the TV confirms the 1080/24......am i just seeing motion blur that is supposed to be there?
post #13763 of 15539
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO 
HX950 ?? Turkish Sony catalogue

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1630821-sony-hx950-953-a.html

Hmmm their economy is in the Sh*tter and their advertising the latest Sony HX series the '950'

There is not much info yet. Its probably a Edge Lit with Local Dimming.

http://translate.google.nl/translate?hl=nl&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.telekvartal.com.ua%2Fsravnenie-televizorov-sony-2012%2F
post #13764 of 15539
As I previously posted, this is direct from Sony TO REFORMAT To original factory spec's.
Quote:
To reset TV to default factory settings.

1.Turn on the TV.
2.Wait approximately 40 seconds for the TV to completely start up.
3.On the TV remote control, press and hold the UP ARROW button.
4.While holding the UP ARROW button, press and release the POWER button on the TV set.

NOTES:
The power button is on the right side of the TV (first button on top). You will see RESET appear on your TV.

5.Release the UP ARROW button.

The TV turns off and back on. Wait a few seconds and you will see the see the initial set up screen.
post #13765 of 15539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallica2009 View Post

A good example of what I'm wondering about is the blu-ray of Shrek.....With every panning scene, it seems smooth but background stuff in the scene seems to jump back and forth during the panning.......the ps3 is outputting 1080p 24hz and when I press display the TV confirms the 1080/24......am i just seeing motion blur that is supposed to be there?


I have Shrek (all 4) on BD. Can you give me an exact scene and time where you absolutely notice this? I'll have a look after you post and see what I see with the PS3. Also, are you directly connected to the TV with the PS3 or are you going through a receiver as well? I watched them all relatively recently, and I didn't notice anything at the time, but maybe I missed something.
post #13766 of 15539
Noob question and sorry if already discussed but I'm almost certain I've not read about this exact possible problem I'm noticing on my 55hx929 with a March 12 build date. So after reading these forums and knowing what to expect with diffrent settings on this tv I knew that in any mode where dynamic led control can't be turned on there would be less than uniform blacks like clouding and also knew to expect this in many of the menus. So sure enough while watching I Am legend in vivid mode I could see a considerable amount of clouding in any dark scene and also while in some of the menus and as soon as I switched to custom and turned on dynamic led control the clouding went away. Ok here is the weird part yesterday I tried to reproduce the clouding problem while watching I Am Legend in vivid mode and while I could notice some areas near the sides of the screen where a little lighter I couldn't see the clouding anymore nor could I see it in some of the menus that I had noticed it in anymore. I can definately tell the difference when comparing black levels that when in custom mode and dynamic led control is enabled black uniformity is better than in vivid mode but now I don't see the clouding in vivid mode so what could have happened? I f any one has any input or ideas please reply. I purchased this tv from a b&m sony style store and their return /exchange policy is very strict so I don't even know if I should try and exchange it or maybe monitor the tv a few more days and see if the clouding returns I only have until this coming Thursday to attempt to return or exchange.
post #13767 of 15539
Quote:
Originally Posted by recoil1 View Post

Noob question and sorry if already discussed but I'm almost certain I've not read about this exact possible problem I'm noticing on my 55hx929 with a March 12 build date. So after reading these forums and knowing what to expect with diffrent settings on this tv I knew that in any mode where dynamic led control can't be turned on there would be less than uniform blacks like clouding and also knew to expect this in many of the menus. So sure enough while watching I Am legend in vivid mode I could see a considerable amount of clouding in any dark scene and also while in some of the menus and as soon as I switched to custom and turned on dynamic led control the clouding went away. Ok here is the weird part yesterday I tried to reproduce the clouding problem while watching I Am Legend in vivid mode and while I could notice some areas near the sides of the screen where a little lighter I couldn't see the clouding anymore nor could I see it in some of the menus that I had noticed it in anymore. I can definately tell the difference when comparing black levels that when in custom mode and dynamic led control is enabled black uniformity is better than in vivid mode but now I don't see the clouding in vivid mode so what could have happened? I f any one has any input or ideas please reply. I purchased this tv from a b&m sony style store and their return /exchange policy is very strict so I don't even know if I should try and exchange it or maybe monitor the tv a few more days and see if the clouding returns I only have until this coming Thursday to attempt to return or exchange.

I think I misunderstand your problem. The clouding went away right? That's a good thing, you shouldn't need to return the set. Clouding can go away rather quickly once the set is being used. Some people report clouding and other visual issues with the set to be lessened over time as well.
post #13768 of 15539
Datacide thanks for your input and yes of course its a good thing that I don't see the clouding in vivid mode any more at least for now. My concern is that it could be an intermittent problem that could crop up again that is why I was hoping someone else had encountered this problem and if so did it diminish or go away for good?
post #13769 of 15539
Quote:
Originally Posted by recoil1 View Post

Datacide thanks for your input and yes of course its a good thing that I don't see the clouding in vivid mode any more at least for now. My concern is that it could be an intermittent problem that could crop up again that is why I was hoping someone else had encountered this problem and if so did it diminish or go away for good?

Ah! Now I see. Yeah, so I still have some minor clouding on my set, but it is hardly ever noticeable and when it is, there is usually nothing on screen. Mileage will of course vary depending on settings and the amount of clouding on each set as this would be unique. If your clouding has gone away, then I'd suspect it will be gone for good...or at least there is a very good chance of it being gone for good. You don't hear too often about clouding coming back when it dissipates. Play around on the Game Scene for a while, this should show up any clouding if there is any to be seen. Otherwise, I honestly wouldn't worry about it.
Edited by Datacide - 6/18/12 at 2:07pm
post #13770 of 15539
Thanks again and will be checking game mode hope its cloud free.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony HX929 Owner's thread (46HX929, 55HX929, 65HX929) No Price Talk