or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony HX929 Owner's thread (46HX929, 55HX929, 65HX929) No Price Talk
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony HX929 Owner's thread (46HX929, 55HX929, 65HX929) No Price Talk - Page 2

post #31 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Saw two things of interest yesterday at a BB in NYC.

1) A Sony 60LX900. It was in the Magnolia section running a Sony demo loop. It looked absolutely amazing. It made me optimistic for the PQ on the flagship HX929 for 2011.

2) A Samsung 55D8000. It was not in an environment which would lend itself to analyzing PQ - it was on the wall of the main shop, unlike the Sony which was facing away from the lights inside the Magnolia section - but overall I'd say it looked very good. No flash lighting, good blacks, and potentially great if set up properly and viewed in a proper environment.

I am keeping an open mind and am leaving my 65HX929 preorder in for now. But I will be evaluating expert reviews and calibrations of D8000's and 46/55 HX sets as they hit...


can you PM what you are paying through ABT for 65" 929? and if you find specs I would really be interested, as my friend got a 60" EX700 (long story as he got it for $600 after his Sony DLP fried and they knew about the issue with many other of the same models) and that display weighs about 50 lbs! I think the Samsung 65" D8000 will come in very light as the 55" is only 37.5 lbs.
post #32 of 15540
55HX929 is available for preorder on Amazon - if looks could kill.......it looks stunning! I might get it for my bedroom instead of waiting for the 65HX929 for my living room - sooo tempting
post #33 of 15540
yeh i came here to say that amazon has it listed for preorder.
i'm gonna try to contact them to get a release date.

price is much higher than the ABT preorder so i'm not sure which is true anymore.

i forget the source, but i remember reading that the pricing was supposed to be more competitive this year.

edit: contacted them and they dont have any dates.
post #34 of 15540
I see the 55 and 65 are both available for pre-order while the 46 is not. I wonder if the 46 will continue its tradition of elusiveness given the events in Japan and general supply issues with the smaller panels.
post #35 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post

I see the 55 and 65 are both available for pre-order while the 46 is not. I wonder if the 46 will continue its tradition of elusiveness given the events in Japan and general supply issues with the smaller panels.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-XB...YF3EXVH5TY28PN


I'm hopeful that these will be out in 2 to 3 weeks.
post #36 of 15540
I'm pretty sure $3800 is MSRP for the 55HX929. So since Amazon haz price match on this model - I think it's pretty reasonable to expect a much lower price once this TV is out!
post #37 of 15540
i hope so considering the d8000 was $1100 less than that a few days ago.
post #38 of 15540
Actually, ABT has Samsung 55D8000 listed for $150 more than Sony 55HX929. Pretty amazing - Sony is kicking some butt this year! Or so I like to think
post #39 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfedai0 View Post

Looking at the ABT page, it says "available for in-store purchase". Can anyone confirm this?

is it abt.com you all are talking about? All the 929s say
New Item- Available For Pre-Ordering
post #40 of 15540
Yes, and speaking of that.....does anyone have positive experiences with ABT? Their price for the 46in is by far the cheapest, besting Crutchfield and even Amazon. Are they safe to go with?
post #41 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladi123456 View Post

Actually, ABT has Samsung 55D8000 listed for $150 more than Sony 55HX929. Pretty amazing - Sony is kicking some butt this year! Or so I like to think

So they're selling the d8000 for $3950?

The MSRP is $3600 I believe.

Anyway, I hope the 929 comes in at around $3k and nothing close to that amazon preorder pricing.
post #42 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXPL View Post

So they're selling the d8000 for $3950?


No, they are selling 55D8000 for $3,239.00, and they are selling HX55929 for $3090
post #43 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfedai0 View Post

Yes, and speaking of that.....does anyone have positive experiences with ABT? Their price for the 46in is by far the cheapest, besting Crutchfield and even Amazon. Are they safe to go with?

ABT is one of the most reliable internet dealers, on par with Amazon, JR, B&H and Crutchfield. For the most part they are better than the last three due to prices.
post #44 of 15540
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErLupo View Post
ABT is one of the most reliable internet dealers, on par with Amazon, JR, B&H and Crutchfield. For the most part they are better than the last three due to prices.
Yup they are authorized and reliable.
post #45 of 15540
So looking through the specs list for the 46in and towards the bottom

Supplied Accessories

Remote Control (RM-YD061)
AC Power Cord (attached)
Table Top Stand (separate, assembly required)
3D Glasses (TDG-BR250/TDG-BR200/TDG-BR100/TDG-BR50)

Is that true??
post #46 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladi123456 View Post

No, they are selling 55D8000 for $3,239.00, and they are selling HX55929 for $3090

And if you actually talk to a salesman, you can probably get a better deal or price match.
post #47 of 15540
Thread Starter 
I figure that the question of what is and isn't included will shift over time, mostly in reaction to competitor pricing/bundles. When the 65" ships I sort of doubt much will be included, but the 46" wouldn't surprise me as it's a much more competitive space.

Sorry reply fail. Meant to respond to the comment about the included bundle indicated for the 46".
post #48 of 15540
post #49 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie319 View Post

Pricing available from Amazon.

http://m.engadget.com/default/articl...eng_latest_art

52HX929 $3799.00 Availability May 2011
post #50 of 15540
says by May 2011.

site doesnt have a clue.
post #51 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Saw two things of interest yesterday at a BB in NYC.

1) A Sony 60LX900. It was in the Magnolia section running a Sony demo loop. It looked absolutely amazing. It made me optimistic for the PQ on the flagship HX929 for 2011.

2) A Samsung 55D8000. It was not in an environment which would lend itself to analyzing PQ - it was on the wall of the main shop, unlike the Sony which was facing away from the lights inside the Magnolia section - but overall I'd say it looked very good. No flash lighting, good blacks, and potentially great if set up properly and viewed in a proper environment.

I am keeping an open mind and am leaving my 65HX929 preorder in for now. But I will be evaluating expert reviews and calibrations of D8000's and 46/55 HX sets as they hit...

And this post is exactly why you don't start an owners thread until you actually own the TV. You might not even have a HX929.
post #52 of 15540
A little birdy told me to expect TV's in May, with the big guy coming out in June.
post #53 of 15540
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post

And this post is exactly why you don't start an owners thread until you actually own the TV. You might not even have a HX929.


Well someone had to start it. And if you look through scores of owners threads you'll find that many of the starters are those who have actually pre-ordered one (as I have) as opposed to having taken delivery by the time of posting.

True I may not end with one, but in all likelihood I will.
post #54 of 15540
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4spdnb View Post

A little birdy told me to expect TV's in May, with the big guy coming out in June.

Sorry for the consecutive posts (mods if you want to combine please do) but I didn't see this post when I paired above.

Anyway, when you say big guy do you mean the 65? That'd be...F'ING fantastic. Right about the time the lotr extended cut blu ray boxed set ships

That'll do. Oh yes, that'll do nicely.
post #55 of 15540
My final question is: will Sony's full array local dimming beat out Samsungs D8000 edge-lit + "micro dimming". So far every review (in the UK) I've read has gone wild for the D8000's "jet blacks" suggesting local dimming may not be inextricably linked to "better". And some seem to prefer the D7000's clear bezel look more than the D8000's silver bezel.

Looking forward to the D8000 VS. HX929 Shoot out any day now! Also looking forward to Dave Katzmier's review.
post #56 of 15540
abt prices just jumped $200-400
post #57 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss396s View Post

abt prices just jumped $200-400

That sucks. And now 55HX929 Sony is $200 more expensive than 55D8000 Samsung.....
post #58 of 15540
well of course that price was off. i knew that the second amazon posted their price at $3800.
post #59 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

As I posted in the 2011 Sony general discussion thread, I chose the HX929 over the Panny VT30 (the other leading contender for my 65" dollars) for a variety of reasons. I am sure, based on seeing comparable 2010 models of each set, that they will both be absolutely killer TVs. But for me, in my situation, the Sony seemed a better choice

what were your reasons for going with the HX929 over the VT30?...I'm also considering those 2 but can't seem to decide
post #60 of 15540
Quote:
Originally Posted by milk View Post

My final question is: will Sony's full array local dimming beat out Samsungs D8000 edge-lit + "micro dimming". So far every review (in the UK) I've read has gone wild for the D8000's "jet blacks" suggesting local dimming may not be inextricably linked to "better". And some seem to prefer the D7000's clear bezel look more than the D8000's silver bezel.

Looking forward to the D8000 VS. HX929 Shoot out any day now! Also looking forward to Dave Katzmier's review.

D8000 is overthrowing the rule stating every full array locdim is by default better than edglit. D8000 is much better edgelit than any other edgelit and better than some locdims with their own problems. But HX929 should be top of the line locdim so it has chances to beat the D8000. This will happen when, apart of black-hole-blacks when LEDs are off, HX929 also has good viewing angle and no blooming/banding/clouding. Tall order but doable.

Reagarding the design, Sony monolithic is equally stunning as Samsung ultrathin bezel. If Sony black picture frame under the glass would be as narrow as Samsung bezel, it would beat Samsung desgin.

One additional thing, which may not be relevant to some, is that Samsung considerably improved 3D on the D8000, much reduced crosstalk plus Bluetooth
glasses. Sony should not be overlooking this.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony HX929 Owner's thread (46HX929, 55HX929, 65HX929) No Price Talk