or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony HX929 Owner's thread (46HX929, 55HX929, 65HX929) No Price Talk
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony HX929 Owner's thread (46HX929, 55HX929, 65HX929) No Price Talk - Page 13

post #361 of 15535
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXPL View Post

dude if someone knew they'd answer your. you've asked 3 times now with no answer and that's because manufacturers don't really post response times for the higher end tvs so no one knows.

i'd imagine its either 6 or 8ms though.

I'd imagine faster than that and quite a few actually do.
post #362 of 15535
any floating blacks? that was a killer for me with my plasma.
post #363 of 15535
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadennis View Post

any floating blacks? that was a killer for me with my plasma.

Excuse my ignorance but what are floating blacks!?
post #364 of 15535
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXPL View Post

dude if someone knew they'd answer your. you've asked 3 times now with no answer and that's because manufacturers don't really post response times for the higher end tvs so no one knows.

i'd imagine its either 6 or 8ms though.

6 to 8? Maybe black to white....

No way it's that high... most are 2ms GTG now. 6 or 8 would be a total flop, anything after 6 becomes really noticable IMO. The set is probably 2ms, lots of companies don't advertise it anymore because 2ms has sort of become the standard.
post #365 of 15535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan1paxton View Post

Excuse my ignorance but what are floating blacks!?

It's basically fluctuating black level most noticeable for me in dark scenes. There could be a dark background and the black level would alternate from a lighter shade of black to a darker shade and vice versa (darker shade to lighter) I didn't know what it was either until I started to notice it on my plasma (which I'm selling to my brother who could not care less about floating blacks) and came on here and read all about it
post #366 of 15535
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadennis View Post


It's basically fluctuating black level most noticeable for me in dark scenes. There could be a dark background and the black level would alternate from a lighter shade of black to a darker shade and vice versa (darker shade to lighter) I didn't know what it was either until I started to notice it on my plasma (which I'm selling to my brother who could not care less about floating blacks) and came on here and read all about it

Thanks for clearing that up! Lets hope this set is clear of that particular issue sounds like it would bug me no end!!
post #367 of 15535
On high contrast images (white text on black) I too see minimal clouding but gets worse off angle. There is flashlighting on the corners but only see it in specific images (read: load screens).

Played bit of BlackOps. 3D good - using the 2011 glasses. Lag no different from my old Regza LCD - definitely not going to affect my online gaming (if I can actually get on!)

Initial impressions pretty positive so far. Uniformity not an issue, blacks as deep as you like. Not begun messing with the settings yet. Good start I'd say. Hope more of you get this TV soon.
post #368 of 15535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrindor View Post

6 to 8? Maybe black to white....

No way it's that high... most are 2ms GTG now. 6 or 8 would be a total flop, anything after 6 becomes really noticable IMO. The set is probably 2ms, lots of companies don't advertise it anymore because 2ms has sort of become the standard.

okay. but where do you get response time #s? i honestly dont see manufacturers post them anymore unless theyre bragging about gaming performance. i think I may have seen LG and Sharp post #s but am not sure.

and i'm talking high end 40 to 65 inch sets, not 24 inch gaming monitors.
post #369 of 15535
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXPL View Post

okay. but where do you get response time #s? i honestly dont see manufacturers post them anymore unless theyre bragging about gaming performance. i think I may have seen LG and Sharp post #s but am not sure.

and i'm talking high end 40 to 65 inch sets, not 24 inch gaming monitors.

Every high end TV i've owned has the response time wrote down somewhere

There's two possible reasons why this set doesn't
1) They are ashamed of it having 6+ ms.
2) They just never listed it because 2ms is pretty much the standard now.

Hoping it's #2. I highly doubt that this set is anything but 2ms, given the fact it's 3D. 3D would look absolutely god-awful on a 6ms set.
post #370 of 15535
FYI My order from SonyStyle:

Product: XBR55HX929
Per Unit Price: $3,438.08
Quantity: 1
Total Price: $3,438.08
Description: 55" Class (54.6" diag.) BRAVIA HX929
Ship Method: Standard
Estimated Ship Date: 04/27/2011



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product: 3DBNDL/ALICE
Per Unit Price: $361.90
Quantity: 1
Total Price: $361.90
Description: 3D Deluxe Starter Kit
Ship Method: Standard
Estimated Ship Date: 04/27/2011



The Starter kits comes with 2 3D glasses
a 3D emitter (which won't be necessary because the set has it built in)
3DBD of Alice in Wonderland
One HDMI cable

For those who didn't see my post last night :-)

Just got an email from Sony that it has shipped and is on its way.
post #371 of 15535
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphoR View Post

FYI My order from SonyStyle:

Product: XBR55HX929
Per Unit Price: $3,438.08
Quantity: 1
Total Price: $3,438.08
Description: 55" Class (54.6" diag.) BRAVIA HX929
Ship Method: Standard
Estimated Ship Date: 04/27/2011



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product: 3DBNDL/ALICE
Per Unit Price: $361.90
Quantity: 1
Total Price: $361.90
Description: 3D Deluxe Starter Kit
Ship Method: Standard
Estimated Ship Date: 04/27/2011



The Starter kits comes with 2 3D glasses
a 3D emitter (which won't be necessary because the set has it built in)
3DBD of Alice in Wonderland
One HDMI cable

For those who didn't see my post last night :-)

Just got an email from Sony that it has shipped and is on it's way.

Did you have to call to get those prices/deal? They will not give me your price. They say they are only selling at MSRP.

They said if I can get your order# they will price match it. Care to PM?
post #372 of 15535
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post

On high contrast images (white text on black) I too see minimal clouding but gets worse off angle. There is flashlighting on the corners but only see it in specific images (read: load screens).

Played bit of BlackOps. 3D good - using the 2011 glasses. Lag no different from my old Regza LCD - definitely not going to affect my online gaming (if I can actually get on!)

Initial impressions pretty positive so far. Uniformity not an issue, blacks as deep as you like. Not begun messing with the settings yet. Good start I'd say. Hope more of you get this TV soon.

How did you get the 2011 3d glasses? Do they have them available yet?
post #373 of 15535
I get the distinct feeling this set will be out of stock very soon so even though it will cost more at Sony it might be worth it to get it now and bite the bullet so to speak. Sounds like all the other places that will sell this tv eventually are getting their sets later rather than sooner....maybe a lot later.
post #374 of 15535
According to the rep at Sony...
1) They charge Tax.
2) He couldn't guarantee no restocking fee.
3) Return shipping comes out of your pocket.

If you buy this TV, and don't like it.. you are losing a few hundred dollars easily. Return shipping, no refund on tax, and most likely a restocking fee. Based on the # of reviews on this set (none), theres no way i'm spending that kind of money when their policy is like this.

I'll wait for Amazon to carry it, probably a few hundred dollars below MSRP too. They offer everything sonystyle does + more. No tax, free return shipping, and no restocking fees. Zero worries.
post #375 of 15535
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+B...1#BVRRWidgetID

Three reviews on BB website. One rates it really bad.

Quote:


Allow me to tell you why I give this television a one star review. I do certainly understand that most of you will just think that my review doesn't mean anything, and that I'm just another one of "those" people. That is not the case at all. I give it an overall rating of one star because I am extremely disappointed in it. If you consider the obscenely high price tag and the average performance, you simply don't get what you pay for.
Obviously the picture quality is not one star, and the features are not one star, but when you weigh the performance against the expense, it has to bring the overall rating down. This television just doesn't perform like it should perform to justify such an expense. I noticed a lot of blooming (when light from a luminated group of pixels spills into an area that is supposed to be completely dark and makes it look like it's being lit up with a flashlight). Blooming is a picture quality issue that is exclusive to full array local dimming led LCD televisions. I would think that the blooming issue would have been greatly reduced, if not, all together eliminated by now.
I don’t know. Maybe it’s not possible to eliminate blooming. After all, the only true full array local dimming television technology is plasma. Each one of the millions of pixels on a plasma can be either illuminated or shut off independently of each other, even when the pixels are right next to each other. A full array local dimming led LCD set can only shut off certain zones of pixels, while other zones are still illuminated. This is what causes the blooming. I am also not impressed at all by the “960 Hz” video processing feature. I noticed the same characteristics of similar 240 Hz televisions. There was still quite a bit of motion blur, some evident phony smoothing, and some minimal artifacts. If this television was $2,500, I would rate it much higher. But at almost $4K, it just doesn’t perform well enough to justify the cost.
post #376 of 15535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrindor View Post

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+B...1#BVRRWidgetID

Three reviews on BB website. One rates it really bad.

and none actually own it. all based on in store display.
post #377 of 15535
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXPL View Post

and none actually own it. all based on in store display.

Yeah sounds like a plasma fanboy from panny or samsung. I bet this tv is going to give the B8500 a run for its money...
post #378 of 15535
What would be great- anyone who has an hx909 who gets the 929, so that there can be a comparison in depth of black. I'll probably have to wait for reviews.

Maybe Doug Blackburn will review this set, since he did such a service with his 909 review. CNET will probably compare blacks on this with a Kuro, a 909 and some other sets, but that review could be 2-3 months from now.

Seems like the 500m Kuro is the black level champ, but if the 929 could hit that performance- and the 909 almost does, the 929 would be the next set I would purchase.

A 2012 Panasonic isn't going to get blacks better than a 500m.
post #379 of 15535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post

Yeah sounds like a plasma fanboy from panny or samsung. I bet this tv is going to give the B8500 a run for its money...

Yup. The BB reviewer rates 2 Sony TVs and 1 LG TV all with a one-star review, but gives the Samsung Plasma PN64D8000F a five-star review. And all on the same day.
post #380 of 15535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post

Yeah sounds like a plasma fanboy from panny or samsung. I bet this tv is going to give the B8500 a run for its money...

That reviewer Blu-ray man is a Plasma fanboy, look at his previous reviews. My Magnolia store does not even have the XBR in yet so I doubt he has even seen it.
post #381 of 15535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post

Yeah sounds like a plasma fanboy from panny or samsung. I bet this tv is going to give the B8500 a run for its money...

he may be right, he may be wrong. i sure as heck wont take one guys opinion on the matter.

two actual owners here havent said anything about problems with blooming.
post #382 of 15535
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey94025 View Post

Yup. The BB reviewer rates 2 Sony TVs and 1 LG TV all with a one-star review, but gives the Samsung Plasma PN64D8000F a five-star review. And all on the same day.

That guy is an idiot.
post #383 of 15535
nevermind. its fixed.
post #384 of 15535
jesus the blooming is true. 5:40 in unless that's just an effect from the video.

and nick, flashlighting and clouding are two different things; not interchangable. clouding is light cloudy spots through the center of the screen. flashlighting is when you have light coming from the corners in a V shape like with a flashlight.
post #385 of 15535
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXPL View Post

jesus the blooming is true. 5:40 in unless that's just an effect from the video.

and nick, flashlighting and clouding are two different things; not interchangable. clouding is light cloudy spots through the center of the screen. flashlighting is when you have light coming from the corners.

definitely effect from video my phone is not best choice for video but its all i have right now, you will have to trust me on each of these videos it is not blooming. sorry about that mix-up i realized i had mispoke after i viewed the video and wasnt about to redo it...
post #386 of 15535
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXPL View Post

jesus the blooming is true. 5:40 in unless that's just an effect from the video.

and nick, flashlighting and clouding are two different things; not interchangable. clouding is light cloudy spots through the center of the screen. flashlighting is when you have light coming from the corners in a V shape like with a flashlight.

If you do take a closer look, that "blooming" spreads beyond the bezel, therefore indicating that this affect is most likely in case of the camera overexposing and emphasizing the light.
post #387 of 15535
For starters, no Best Buy has received the set yet. They anticipate it around May 17th which is the latest information they have, so those reviews on BB site reek of some fanboy.

Nick: Thanks for the video man...but as a gamer, seeing your PS3 and your Limited Edition Halo Reach Xbox 360, I want a video of you putting it through its paces with your consoles! But thanks for all the info and impressions, much appreciated.

Others: I am going from a 55"HX800 to a 55"929, just by specs, how much better is my picture quality going to be going from the 800 to the 929?
post #388 of 15535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post

For starters, no Best Buy has received the set yet. They anticipate it around May 17th which is the latest information they have, so those reviews on BB site reek of some fanboy.

Nick: Thanks for the video man...but as a gamer, seeing your PS3 and your Limited Edition Halo Reach Xbox 360, I want a video of you putting it through its paces with your consoles! But thanks for all the info and impressions, much appreciated.

Others: I am going from a 55"HX800 to a 55"929, just by specs, how much better is my picture quality going to be going from the 800 to the 929?

The picture quality should be much better, as the 929 will have the deepest blacks available for 2011. Motion should be better, viewing angle could possibly be better, but mostly black level should be fantastic and very close to a 9G Kuro if not exceeding it in true depth. Shadow detailing is another story.
post #389 of 15535
Ok, as mentioned, I definitively have some minor flashlighting in the bottom corners, more so on the left. The right is barely noticable but the left is annoying (only visible when the screen area is black). I've tried massaging it and adjusting the screw on the back panel but so far no luck. Any suggestions? I guess I should call Sony and see what they say. Otherwise, I'm very happy with the PQ.
post #390 of 15535
black/contrast level and gaming video up http://www.youtube.com/user/nickthen...4?feature=mhum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony HX929 Owner's thread (46HX929, 55HX929, 65HX929) No Price Talk