or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Panasonic DMP-BDT110/210/310 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic DMP-BDT110/210/310 Owners Thread - Page 257

post #7681 of 8458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Miller View Post

The most recent firmware for the DMP-BDT110/111/210/310 series is v1.80, released on 2/6/2012. I have not yet seen a definitive test as to whether or not it includes Cinavia, although I've heard anecdotally that it does not.

v1.47 is quite old; released on 2/24/2011, it is now 6 versions out-of-date. With firmware that old, you may have problems with some discs or features.

Yeah, I realized after I posted that 1.47 must be one of the first firmware versions on the 110, and since my player was manufactured in March of 2011 and was brand new it probably had the initial firmware on it. So I guess I am going to have to upgrade and hope that cinavia isn't an issue...yet.
post #7682 of 8458
As I've stated before, I don't think that there'll be a firmware update which adds Cinavia (or anything update that doesn't fix a serious problem). There's nothing in it for Panasonic--it's only required on this year's models and adding it to earlier models will only piss off some customers who care.
post #7683 of 8458
I just had a good laugh. I was scewing around on Vudu with my WD Live and it offered up Tron and other movies in 3D which worked reasonably well for side by side 3D. I could not do this a couple months ago. I went to the 210 and brought up my library which had the 3D titles in it, but said that the player to wasn't compatible..still. If the chipset in the WD (which is not 3d) can do it, there is no reason why the 210 can't take the same signal. It's just marketing bs.
post #7684 of 8458
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

As I've stated before, I don't think that there'll be a firmware update which adds Cinavia (or anything update that doesn't fix a serious problem). There's nothing in it for Panasonic--it's only required on this year's models and adding it to earlier models will only piss off some customers who care.

I can vouch for the absence of Cinavia watermark detection with even the latest FW version for the 210.

Use a ripping tool to copy a watermarked original and burn the result to a BD blank. The absence off ACS in the copy will trigger watermark detection if present.
I made one many months ago for test purposes. This copy also reduced the BD50 original to BD25 size, only blanks I had available, but this does not enter into the equation.

Play the copy on your 210,215,110 etc and enjoy peace of mind. No Cinavia.
post #7685 of 8458
Quote:
Originally Posted by catmother View Post

I can vouch for the absence of Cinavia watermark detection with even the latest FW version for the 210.

Use a ripping tool to copy a watermarked original and burn the result to a BD blank. The absence off ACS in the copy will trigger watermark detection if present.
I made one many months ago for test purposes. This copy also reduced the BD50 original to BD25 size, only blanks I had available, but this does not enter into the equation.

Play the copy on your 210,215,110 etc and enjoy peace of mind. No Cinavia.

Good to know. Thanks.
post #7686 of 8458
Which brand and model of USB Wireless adaptor work with the 110 blu ray player ? Any recommendation ?
post #7687 of 8458
My network connection is good, it passes all the tests and seams to read header type information.
When it comes to actually streaming, it just hangs.
For Netflix all the selection screens work but when I go to load a program the loading bar fills all the way up and hangs.
Similar with YouTube, I load up a video, the screen on the right pops up, animates like it's loading then stops but it never goes any further.

All was working until I was having problems with Netflix stopping in the middle and saying the video was not available(or something to that effect).

I unplugged and reset settings to default.
Any ideas what to do, it's like locked out of streaming!


I have these features in my TV also and they work fine.
They are both wired connections.
post #7688 of 8458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Chan View Post

Which brand and model of USB Wireless adaptor work with the 110 blu ray player ? Any recommendation ?

Only the panasonic one. It is cheaper to just get a wireless player. Or any ethernet wireless gaming adapter or bridge will work.
post #7689 of 8458
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilG View Post

My network connection is good, it passes all the tests and seams to read header type information.
When it comes to actually streaming, it just hangs.
For Netflix all the selection screens work but when I go to load a program the loading bar fills all the way up and hangs.
Similar with YouTube, I load up a video, the screen on the right pops up, animates like it's loading then stops but it never goes any further.

All was working until I was having problems with Netflix stopping in the middle and saying the video was not available(or something to that effect).

I unplugged and reset settings to default.
Any ideas what to do, it's like locked out of streaming!

I have these features in my TV also and they work fine.
They are both wired connections.

For some inexplicable reason, it started working again!
Because of weather I had to reset the modem, who knows ?
post #7690 of 8458
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilG View Post

For some inexplicable reason, it started working again!
Because of weather I had to reset the modem, who knows ?

That was probably it. Never hurts to reset the modem and router(s) periodically.
post #7691 of 8458
I have a 210 connected to a AE7000 projector. Tried 3D for the first time yesterday. Tron 3D played previews with audio only, sending a blue screen for video. Then, magically before the movie started the 3D video joined the dance. I wasn't sure why, but it worked fine for 2 movies after that. Then today, put in Toy Story 3 in 3D and was never able to get video. Just sound and a blue screen projected. Switched over to my PS3 and all the movies play without a problem.

Anyone hear of this issue before? 2D content and DVD's play fine. For added clarity, I'm referring to newly purchased 3D blu-ray discs having the blue screen issue. Nothing to do with 2D-3D conversion or ripping my own BD.
post #7692 of 8458
Not totally familiar with the AE7000, but which mode are you sending, sbs or top and botom. I know the JVC's only like sbs. I guess see which the PS3 is sending and make sure it is the same for the Panasonic.
post #7693 of 8458
Both my 210 won't play You Tube Playlists. Subscriptions and Favorites work, but get an error message for Playlists.

What gives.
post #7694 of 8458
Just trying to confirm info I got from one AVS member awhile ago. I have a yet to be connected 310 that I purchased because I have an older HDMI receiver an Onyko 805. I was informed that the 805 will pass a checkerboard 3D image to my Mits. 73883? Is this correct information? I bought the 310 thinking I would need the 2 HDMI's, one each for video and audio, which is correct?
post #7695 of 8458
Isn't that a question for your receiver's forum?
post #7696 of 8458
Man, the black flashes in Netflix play are really annoying. Wonder why they could never fix this issue? My 110 is a great player other than that. I didn't think it would be too bad but...it is. Seems to happen several times a minute.
post #7697 of 8458
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacflies View Post

Man, the black flashes in Netflix play are really annoying...Seems to happen several times a minute.

I think that's pretty unusual--when I was using the 110 I saw a few at stream start and then the occasional one or two while it switched to lower bit rate encodings and back because its ability to keep its buffer full was varying for whatever reason (fluctuating available bandwidth, non-responsive servers, etc).

Have you only recently started using your player for Netfllix or have you used it for many months and this just started happening?
post #7698 of 8458
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacflies View Post

Man, the black flashes in Netflix play are really annoying. Wonder why they could never fix this issue? My 110 is a great player other than that. I didn't think it would be too bad but...it is. Seems to happen several times a minute.

Your neighbors probably just started using Netflix too, that's why. Seriously.

Even if you have a decent ISP and a good connection, you and your neighbors are all hitting the same Netflix server (it's designed to always pick the geographically closest server). That means extra load on that server AND on the route between your neighborhood and the Netflix server.

Now on top, if your ISP itself or your connection or your home network are also less than ideal, that's gonna exacerbate the latencies further.

I think some devices handle buffering better and are thus less susceptible to bitrate fluctuations (sounds like the 2012 Pannys are). And of course other devices don't flash like these Pannys do.

Edit: What we do when Netflix has a bad day, we stop and restart playback, often 5-6 times or more. Sometimes Netflix finally connect us to a better server (even if it's farther away) and playback gets perfect after that. It seems you have to fully stop and restart (resume) playback. Pausing is not enough - unless you pause it for a very long time. That's been my experience anyway.
post #7699 of 8458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandenborg View Post

I think some devices handle buffering better and are thus less susceptible to bitrate fluctuations (sounds like the 2012 Pannys are). And of course other devices don't flash like these Pannys do.

The flash is quite definitely a bug. If necessary the player will drop down to a lower picture quality, lower bit rate encoding but it should make the switch seamlessly. I've only heard someone claim that one other player did this (I forget which one); I've used eight or more Netflix players, most of which use this same set of encodings designed for adaptive bit rate (BDT110, BDT220, PS3, Xbox, Sony S390, Roku 2 and this PC) and never seen any other device produce the "black flash" phenomenon.

I've heard that the new TiVo Premiere Netflix player can do something funky, but it sounds as though that's because people have it set to change the television's resolution on stream resolution switches (which'd cause havok on my television); it's smooth if you set it to stay in a single resolution.
post #7700 of 8458
Yes, I remember, it was in this thread where someone said they saw a flash on another device. Forget which device - and it was only that one report.

But absolutely it's a bug. We probably could have demanded warranty replacements or refunds. Too late now though.

I am less bothered by the flashes than by the drop in quality of which they are a symptom. That's why, for me, the solution is to improve the connection and get the best Netflix server I can, so that I avoid bitrate fluctuations altogether.

Some might be more annoyed by the flashes themselves and prefer a lower (and stable) bitrate if they could. Not me. A flash is simply a warning lamp that I am no longer receiving top bitrate, and to stop and restart (resume) playback right there, hoping for a better server connection.
post #7701 of 8458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandenborg View Post

Yes, I remember, it was in this thread where someone said they saw a flash on another device. Forget which device - and it was only that one report.

But absolutely it's a bug. We probably could have demanded warranty replacements or refunds. Too late now though.

I am less bothered by the flashes than by the drop in quality of which they are a symptom. That's why, for me, the solution is to improve the connection and get the best Netflix server I can, so that I avoid bitrate fluctuations altogether.

Some might be more annoyed by the flashes themselves and prefer a lower (and stable) bitrate if they could. Not me. A flash is simply a warning lamp that I am no longer receiving top bitrate, and to stop and restart (resume) playback right there, hoping for a better server connection.

:iagree:

I'm always surprised as well by the many complaints of the black flash but never the lower resolution picture afterwards.
post #7702 of 8458
For most people lowered resolution is better than a break in the picture, which is the entire basis of adaptive bit rate. The old solution was to stop and rebuffer and then present a lower quality picture, usually with no chance of recovering to a high quality picture if conditions later improve. Adaptive bit rate, when it works correctly, is a huge improvement.

Also, the black flashes happen when switching to a higher quality, higher bit rate video encoding as well as when switching downwards in quality/bit-rate.
post #7703 of 8458
That is certainly a valid viewpoint, and probably how must people feel.

But here is the thing Michael: As you have pointed out many times, the highest bitrate available on these Pannys is 3600kbps (plus audio). Having a 10Mbps connection - and knowing that it can deliver far higher HDX streams from Vudu, anytime of the week with hardly ever a problem - I just want that uninterrupted 3600kbps Netflix stream. I understand how networks function and the reasons for blips in streaming performance (one being inferior buffering, another being a flawed algo for choosing the "best" Netflix server). But nevertheless, that 3600 stream is what I am aiming for - not a stable 1700kbps stream instead. And when I have that 3600 stream (usually when Netflix finally connects me to a less busy server) there ARE no flashes, neither going up or down in bitrate.

So for me, a fix of the black flashes (say with firmware) would only be a mild improvement, if I still cannot get that stable high bitrate stream.

But I've always been more picky about PQ than almost anybody I know. I am aware of that :-D
post #7704 of 8458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandenborg View Post

Your neighbors probably just started using Netflix too, that's why. Seriously.

Even if you have a decent ISP and a good connection, you and your neighbors are all hitting the same Netflix server (it's designed to always pick the geographically closest server). That means extra load on that server AND on the route between your neighborhood and the Netflix server.

Now on top, if your ISP itself or your connection or your home network are also less than ideal, that's gonna exacerbate the latencies further.

I think some devices handle buffering better and are thus less susceptible to bitrate fluctuations (sounds like the 2012 Pannys are). And of course other devices don't flash like these Pannys do.

Edit: What we do when Netflix has a bad day, we stop and restart playback, often 5-6 times or more. Sometimes Netflix finally connect us to a better server (even if it's farther away) and playback gets perfect after that. It seems you have to fully stop and restart (resume) playback. Pausing is not enough - unless you pause it for a very long time. That's been my experience anyway.

I've been lurking in the shadows following this Netflix flashing issue. I have the 210 and have never seen it. However, most of our Netflix viewing has been with the AppleTV2. So, I started alternating between the two whenever we'd stream Netflix. It's been a couple of months now and my very un-scientific study has shown no flashing at all with either device. We have a very fast, stable, DSL line so none of the "neighborhood" issues with cable are present. Maybe my build version of the 210 has a more robust chipset or I'm just sitting on top the Netflix server(s) here in San Jose.
post #7705 of 8458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandenborg View Post

But here is the thing Michael: As you have pointed out many times, the highest bitrate available on these Pannys is 3600kbps (plus audio). Having a 10Mbps connection - and knowing that it can deliver far higher HDX streams from Vudu, anytime of the week with hardly ever a problem - I just want that uninterrupted 3600kbps Netflix stream. I understand how networks function and the reasons for blips in streaming performance (one being inferior buffering, another being a flawed algo for choosing the "best" Netflix server). But nevertheless, that 3600 stream is what I am aiming for - not a stable 1700kbps stream instead. And when I have that 3600 stream (usually when Netflix finally connects me to a less busy server) there ARE no flashes, neither going up or down in bitrate.

How do you know that and is there a way to display the bitrate on the 210?
post #7706 of 8458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

I've been lurking in the shadows following this Netflix flashing issue. I have the 210 and have never seen it. However, most of our Netflix viewing has been with the AppleTV2. So, I started alternating between the two whenever we'd stream Netflix. It's been a couple of months now and my very un-scientific study has shown no flashing at all with either device. We have a very fast, stable, DSL line so none of the "neighborhood" issues with cable are present. Maybe my build version of the 210 has a more robust chipset or I'm just sitting on top the Netflix server(s) here in San Jose.

I don't think your 210 is necessarily better than other Panny's (sorry ) Rather, I think you hit it spot on:

1) You are close to a good Netflix server that isn't overloaded (relatively fewer Netflix users in your area).

2) I would take a good 7Mbps DSL any day over a shared cable connection. Cable companies must be cursing Netflix, because it exposes that those 10 or 20Mbps connections are only burst speeds, whereas average (and sustained) speeds are much lower.

Also, your home network must be working well: A mediocre Wi-Fi setup can exacerbate latencies on an othewise good internet connection.
post #7707 of 8458
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryht View Post

How do you know that and is there a way to display the bitrate on the 210?

It's been discussed in this thread a few times: Watching Netflix on the PC shows the video bitrate when you pull up the diag screen (see this post). And michaeltscott does these great bandwidth tests where he verified that 3600 Kbps is the top stream we get on the 2011 Pannys. Others have measured it as well and came to the same conclusion.
post #7708 of 8458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandenborg View Post

I don't think your 210 is necessarily better than other Panny's (sorry ) Rather, I think you hit it spot on:

1) You are close to a good Netflix server that isn't overloaded (relatively fewer Netflix users in your area).

2) I would take a good 7Mbps DSL any day over a shared cable connection. Cable companies must be cursing Netflix, because it exposes that those 10 or 20Mbps connections are only burst speeds, whereas average (and sustained) speeds are much lower.

Also, your home network must be working well: A mediocre Wi-Fi setup can exacerbate latencies on an othewise good internet connection.

Yeah I know. I just thought I'd throw that out there about the chipset I did see that years ago when DTV was starting to become popular with the HDTV STBs but wasn't sure it that was applicable anymore.

There are tons of folks in our area who use Netflix one way or another so maybe it's a proximity thing as well.

And yes, I think possibly the biggest issue is the network/speed connection. Ours is a sustained (not burst rate) 18Mbps (out of 20 max) DSL line that is a direct connection from the MPOE to the router (not a shared physical line) with the house landline filtered at the MPOE on a different physical line. The router is an Apple Extreme Base Station and I believe that both devices, the 210 and the ATV2 are using he 2.8Ghz bandwidth (even tho the ATV2 may be on the 5Ghz radio). We have lots of devices on the AEBS at the same time when we stream and all is well.
post #7709 of 8458
Yeah, that's a great setup. I wish something like that was even available where we live. Best DSL is 1.1-3 Mbps, and BrightHouse is the only cable provider.

To be fair, BrightHouse service isn't so bad. But the lack of competition means they keep hiking prices - which are already high.
post #7710 of 8458
I am thankful for the option that we have in our area. The ISP is Sonic and they bundled my AT&T landline (basically took over total control) with ADSL2+ for $40/month, which is a fixed price, not introductory. They have another level for about $80/mo which is 40Mbps down. And, they have one of the most responsive support teams around.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Panasonic DMP-BDT110/210/310 Owners Thread