or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official LG 47LW5600/55LW5600 "Passive 3D" Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official LG 47LW5600/55LW5600 "Passive 3D" Owners Thread - Page 79

post #2341 of 8217
I should put a license plate-style frame around my LG saying "My other display is a Pioneer Kuro."

I love my Kuro, but it puts out a lot of heat, so I decided to go away from plasma when I moved into my new place which has very hot summers and falls. Granted that the Pioneer is now mounted in my bedroom, which is considerably smaller than my living room, but I spend 90% of my viewing time in the living room.

I decided that my next TV would have 3D capability after having seen demos as Costco and Best Buy. The Sony glasses at Costco were extremely heavy and uncomfortable though I know that some of it was due to a heavy duty tether attached to the glasses.

Last fall, I went on the Home Theater cruise that they advertise here on AVS. They bought along a 3D projector with XpandD active shutter glasses. When the projector was off, the glasses were still active, causing everything to appear as you were looking through a rotating fan, the strobe effect. My wife did not participate in the activities onboard, but I was allowed to bring her to the nightly movies. Neither of us experienced the negative physical effects that some people do from watching a 2 hour movie, but I rejected active shutter technology because there might be some other things you want to do while a movie is on in your home besides stare at the screen, her in particular with her blasted iPhone and Facebook.

I tried on the LG glasses and watched the demo as well as 2D material, and immediately bought the 55" model.
post #2342 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdigital View Post

CNET'S calibrated settings have been the best I've found.

I can't find them on CNET. Can you post them please?
post #2343 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdigital View Post

CNET'S calibrated settings have been the best I've found.

Never mind, I found them ... They may have been posted here already, but if not, here they are:

Picture menu:
Aspect ratio: Just Scan
Energy Saving: Off
Picture Mode: Expert [1 or 2]
Backlight: 34
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 54
H Sharpness: 50
V Sharpness: 50
Color: 50
Tint: 0
TruMotion: Off
LED Local Dimming: High

--Expert control menu
Dynamic contrast: Off
Noise reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Super Resolution: Off
Black level: Low
Real Cinema: On
Color Gamut: Standard
Edge Enhancer: Off
xvYCC: Auto [grayed out]
Expert Pattern: Off [grayed out]
Color Filter: Off

Color Temperature: Warm
Gamma: 2.2

Method: [set both, see below]
Pattern: Outer

-- Method: 2-points
Red Contrast: 0
Green Contrast: 6
Blue Contrast: -43
Red Brightness: -1
Green Brightness: 1
Blue Brightness: 2

-- Method: 10 point IRE
Luminance: [130 @ 100, otherwise grayed out]
IRE: [Red, Green, Blue respectively for each IRE point]
100 [13, 0, 6]
90 [8, -1, 4]
80 [7, 3, 6]
70 [3, 1, 3]
60 [6, 6, 6]
50 [4, 4, 4]
40 [2, 2, 2]
30 [2, 2, 3]
20 [1, 1, 2]
10 [-2, -2, -1]

Color management system
Red Color: 1
Red Tint: -10
Green Color: 6
Green Tint: 4
Blue Color: 7
Blue Tint: 0
Yellow Color: 3
Yellow Tint: 3
Cyan Color: 8
Cyan Tint: 0
Magenta Color: 4
Magenta Tint: -1


As mentioned in the review, we also performed a calibration with Local Dimming set to Off. It uses all of the same values as above, with the following exceptions. To compare the two, you can utilize the second Expert memory slot.

LED Local Dimming: Off

Gamma: 2.4

-- Method: 10 point IRE
Luminance: [130 @ 100, otherwise grayed out]
IRE: [Red, Green, Blue respectively for each IRE point]
100 [13, 0, 4]
90 [6, 3, 4]
80 [5, 4, 3]
70 [4, 2, 0]
60 [3, 1, 0]
50 [3, 3, 3]
40 [4, 3, 3]
30 [5, 4, 5]
20 [4, 4, 4]
10 [3, 3, -2]
post #2344 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyNole View Post

Hi, I'm getting ready to purchase a new 46- or 47-inch TV to replace my embarrassing 27-inch tube.

This set is a leading contender, along with the Samsung 7000 and Sony NX720(?). They are obviously quite different, since this is passive 3D and has a matte screen--and I have a bright room. Though I could go either way on 3D technology, the bright room gives serious weight to the LG.

For those who own this TV, what other sets were you considering and why did you go with the LG? Just curious, since I'm sure many of you were looking at similar sets. What put the LG over the top?

The Lower pricing of the LG TV, and the CHEAP passive glasses.

The pricing of active glasses will add lots of $$$ per head. How much are you willing to spend on Glasses so your whole family and friends can enjoy 3d together? Active will cost extra in hundreds, while passive could be as low as Free ($1). Then there's replacement cost if one of your friends or family happen to break one of the glasses. For passive it's cool, no problem. For active, it will be like Mother*%$#!, son of a#$%^, etc.

Then there's the Ghosting issue with active glasses, There will be noticeable ghosting on certain action scenes with active glasses which is a huge distraction from your enjoyment of 3d movies. With passive glasses this isn't a issue at all, but your 3d image will not be as sharp as active. so you lose a bit here but gain lots overall.
post #2345 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsky171 View Post

The Lower pricing of the LG TV, and the CHEAP passive glasses.

The pricing of active glasses will add lots of $$$ per head. How much are you willing to spend on Glasses so your whole family and friends can enjoy 3d together? Active will cost extra in hundreds, while passive could be as low as Free ($1). Then there's replacement cost if one of your friends or family happen to break one of the glasses. For passive it's cool, no problem. For active, it will be like Mother*%$#!, son of a#$%^, etc.

Then there's the Ghosting issue with active glasses, There will be noticeable ghosting on certain action scenes with active glasses which is a huge distraction from your enjoyment of 3d movies. With passive glasses this isn't a issue at all, but your 3d image will not be as sharp as active. so you lose a bit here but gain lots overall.

I would also like to add the fact that the 55LW5600 has a phenomenal picture. That's both 2D and 3D. I found it stunning as I compared it to a number of other 55" TV's. Please don't listen to these knuckleheads who say "well, the passive 3D is split to 1080i or 540p per eye" and blah blah blah. Garbage. The image you are seeing is HD and I challenge them to notice any measurable difference with active vs. passive outside a multi-million dollar testing facility. The 3D glasses being so cheap, and even free, is a HUGE bonus. With the passive 3D I did not notice any crosstalk, ghosting or other issues with the active shutters. Hell, you could go to a 3D movie at the theater, keep the glasses and use them on your LG. The picture is beautiful, especially coupled with the BD player of your choice (love my panny 310). The super low prices of late, especially from Fry's, is the icing on the cake and a no brainer if you want a top notch TV at a top notch price.
post #2346 of 8217
I just hooked up my LG 47" LW5600 last night and I am amazed at the clarity of this set. 3D and also 2D > 3D is just awesome..

But, I popped in Harry Potter 2 on BluRay this morning into my SONY BDV-F7 (Speaker bar and Subwoofer) which sounds great, I just noticed when i hit "display" *which shows me the format i am currently watching and listening too* It said somethig along the lines of "2.1 lpcm audio"

What exactly is that? Thanks alot. hopefully thats not a dumb question
post #2347 of 8217
No worries--the TV just recognized the audio stream coming from the blu ray player, which is 2 main channels (L+R) and the sub (.1).
post #2348 of 8217
Just a quick note. Not all 3D movie theater glasses are the same. I
w Cars2 this past weekend and brought the glasses home with me. They are this kind:

http://3dguy.tv/wp-content/uploads/2...3D-Glasses.jpg

Those did not work with my 47LW5600. You saw the same non-3D shadowed image you would see if you weren't wearing any glasses.

So be choosy in which glasses you decide to bring home.

Update: Still can't get my PLEX Online thingy to show me on the TV, the Movies and TV Shows libraries I have on my PLEX Media Server. I almost wish I could roll back to the version of firmware the TV had on it when I bought it, because I'd rather be able to watch my libraries than the Medialink Plugins.
post #2349 of 8217
Does playing Blu Ray 3D movies through my PS3 look any different from playing the movie on a normal Blu Ray 3D player? And i am soon switching over to Direct TV, am i not going to be able to use my HDMI from TV>AVR>DirectTV Box? Or am i going to have to go with HDMI from TV>DirectTV box then optical cable from DirectTV Box>AVR? Just asking because i know Direct TV has 3D channels. Thanks again.
post #2350 of 8217
they should say RealD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjbill View Post

Just a quick note. Not all 3D movie theater glasses are the same. I
w Cars2 this past weekend and brought the glasses home with me. They are this kind:

http://3dguy.tv/wp-content/uploads/2...3D-Glasses.jpg

Those did not work with my 47LW5600. You saw the same non-3D shadowed image you would see if you weren't wearing any glasses.

So be choosy in which glasses you decide to bring home.

Update: Still can't get my PLEX Online thingy to show me on the TV, the Movies and TV Shows libraries I have on my PLEX Media Server. I almost wish I could roll back to the version of firmware the TV had on it when I bought it, because I'd rather be able to watch my libraries than the Medialink Plugins.
post #2351 of 8217
Glasses for these TVs must be "circular polarized" or RealD compatible. Dolby 3D or Imax 3D won't work. Here's more upgraded passive 3D glasses that should work:

http://www.dimensionaloptics.com/3D_Eyewear.aspx
post #2352 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by fa5spoon View Post

Does playing Blu Ray 3D movies through my PS3 look any different from playing the movie on a normal Blu Ray 3D player? And i am soon switching over to Direct TV, am i not going to be able to use my HDMI from TV>AVR>DirectTV Box? Or am i going to have to go with HDMI from TV>DirectTV box then optical cable from DirectTV Box>AVR? Just asking because i know Direct TV has 3D channels. Thanks again.

Only possible if your avr supports 3D
post #2353 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoatLantern View Post

Only possible if your avr supports 3D

how about the difference in a regular Blu Ray 3D player and using your PS3? Is it all the same?
post #2354 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by fa5spoon View Post

how about the difference in a regular Blu Ray 3D player and using your PS3? Is it all the same?

yup. no difference. Except 3D sound that is.
post #2355 of 8217
I am trying to use the Ipad LG remote APP..

ITs asking me for the "pairing code" for 47LW5600-UA

I cannot for the life of me find this..pls help?
post #2356 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike12 View Post

I am trying to use the Ipad LG remote APP..

ITs asking me for the "pairing code" for 47LW5600-UA

I cannot for the life of me find this..pls help?



I think it comes up on the TV when you start the app.
post #2357 of 8217
Yes, Yes it does.. lol my bad never even seen it..

Thanks all.. such a cool app
post #2358 of 8217
OK, so I was searching FIOS menu and seen SHREK 3D, so i clicked "watch trailer". It was in "Side by Side"..

it looked horrible?? and I mean it was just weird, half the screen was off center, couldnt make out the image at all.
i even changed my TV remote to 3D Side by Side and still nothing???

what am I doing wrong? Thanks
post #2359 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike12
OK, so I was searching FIOS menu and seen SHREK 3D, so i clicked "watch trailer". It was in "Side by Side"..

it looked horrible?? and I mean it was just weird, half the screen was off center, couldnt make out the image at all.
i even changed my TV remote to 3D Side by Side and still nothing???

what am I doing wrong? Thanks
For 3D content from a set top box, press the 3D button on the remote, select whether it is side by side or top bottom and press okay, then put on your glasses. The TV does the work.
post #2360 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike12 View Post
OK, so I was searching FIOS menu and seen SHREK 3D, so i clicked "watch trailer". It was in "Side by Side"..

it looked horrible?? and I mean it was just weird, half the screen was off center, couldnt make out the image at all.
i even changed my TV remote to 3D Side by Side and still nothing???

what am I doing wrong? Thanks
You might also have to use the "Left/Right Correction" setting under the LG's 3D options. Switch it and see if it makes a difference. I have had to change it occasionally depending on the source material.
post #2361 of 8217
hi all
can anyone say which is the best of 3D format from
Side by Side 3D Format
Top-and-Bottom 3D or Over-Under 3D Format
Frame Sequential 3D Format

and where can i find them for download because i just find Side by Side 3D Format for download
post #2362 of 8217
Huge issue now.. My PLex Media Server is not being seen anymore?

Was working perfect last night when I first used the TV. I watched about 7 clips from different movies in 3D and they were perfect..

Now this morning I wake up and turn my TV on and go to "medialink" and nothing.. even hitting "rescan" it says no PMS found??

i really hope someone has an answer for me... i know someone said the update from online messed theres up but I did not use that I used the built in LG TV update and it worked for hours after I updated it....

thanks in advance for your time.

UPDATE****

Ok so a ip release/renew seemed to fix the issue for now... Must be Win 7 issue.. annoying it is.... Thanks.
post #2363 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike12 View Post

Huge issue now.. My PLex Media Server is not being seen anymore?

Was working perfect last night when I first used the TV. I watched about 7 clips from different movies in 3D and they were perfect..

Now this morning I wake up and turn my TV on and go to "medialink" and nothing.. even hitting "rescan" it says no PMS found??

i really hope someone has an answer for me... i know someone said the update from online messed theres up but I did not use that I used the built in LG TV update and it worked for hours after I updated it....

thanks in advance for your time.

UPDATE****

Ok so a ip release/renew seemed to fix the issue for now... Must be Win 7 issue.. annoying it is.... Thanks.

Are you running win 7x64? There is a bug the will be fixed in the next lg firmware & plex release.
post #2364 of 8217
Beach Camera via eBay Daily Deal offers the LG INFINIA 55" 120Hz 1080p 3D-Ready LED-Backlit Widescreen LCD HD Television, model no. 55LW5600, bundled with 10 pairs of LG Cinema 3D Glasses (four included with the TV, plus three 2-packs) for a sale with free shipping:

http://dealmac.com/LG-55-1080-p-3-D-...ng/476951.html
post #2365 of 8217
When i use the CNET settings my Real Cinema is greyed out? How do i get it to be able to adjust?
post #2366 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwam3 View Post

Beach Camera via eBay Daily Deal offers the LG INFINIA 55" 120Hz 1080p 3D-Ready LED-Backlit Widescreen LCD HD Television, model no. 55LW5600, bundled with 10 pairs of LG Cinema 3D Glasses (four included with the TV, plus three 2-packs) for a sale with free shipping:

http://dealmac.com/LG-55-1080-p-3-D-...ng/476951.html

I've never purchased big electronics online before. I'd like to buy from Amazon. Unfortunately it looks like Beach Camera is not on the list of websites that Amazon price matches. I've read the Amazon site about price matching, and have what is probably a very dumb question. They list the sites they will price match, they say they will match their own lower Amazon price (if within 14 days of course), but they never explicitly say that they will price match any other seller on Amazon. Will they?

Thanks.
post #2367 of 8217
Is there any way to turn off the "Click Ok" nag for 3D content? Is a real pain in the rump with my Harmony remote.

I appreciate any help.
post #2368 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompsonbrook View Post

I've never purchased big electronics online before. I'd like to buy from Amazon. Unfortunately it looks like Beach Camera is not on the list of websites that Amazon price matches. I've read the Amazon site about price matching, and have what is probably a very dumb question. They list the sites they will price match, they say they will match their own lower Amazon price (if within 14 days of course), but they never explicitly say that they will price match any other seller on Amazon. Will they?

Thanks.

I bought my 47LW5600 thru Amazon directly (not fulfilled by an outside vendor - I wanted the free 30 day return policy). The day after I bought it, it showed up as $69 cheaper on Amazon but fulfilled by Paul's TV. I sent in the refund request on the off chance they'd honor it since it was on THEIR website, but not sold directly thru them (I didn't think they would since Paul's wasn't in the list of websites they compete against). Sure enough, they did. Final price, $1045.

Go for it.
post #2369 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike12 View Post

Huge issue now.. My PLex Media Server is not being seen anymore?

Was working perfect last night when I first used the TV. I watched about 7 clips from different movies in 3D and they were perfect..

Now this morning I wake up and turn my TV on and go to "medialink" and nothing.. even hitting "rescan" it says no PMS found??

i really hope someone has an answer for me... i know someone said the update from online messed theres up but I did not use that I used the built in LG TV update and it worked for hours after I updated it....

thanks in advance for your time.

UPDATE****

Ok so a ip release/renew seemed to fix the issue for now... Must be Win 7 issue.. annoying it is.... Thanks.

That'd be me. I'm running PLEX in XP SP3. It sees the computer running the media server, but now it only sees plugins, nothing from my "libraries".
post #2370 of 8217
I am a new owner of the LG 3d TV and I would like someone to PM me the link to download the LG 3D demo, please.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official LG 47LW5600/55LW5600 "Passive 3D" Owners Thread