or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official LG 47LW5600/55LW5600 "Passive 3D" Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official LG 47LW5600/55LW5600 "Passive 3D" Owners Thread - Page 9

post #241 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightwing View Post

Ya thats what I thought.Still have several members confirmed this? It looks like most people are happy but that some are getting some bad clouding. When Chad B did the review he mentioned that if you watch movies in a dark room this TV is not for you.

That has me super worried as my room is very dark when watching movies in particular. Seems like this is an issue for most edge lit led tvs. Mine is arriving on Monday so I will surly post an update then.
post #242 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_lobos View Post


That has me super worried as my room is very dark when watching movies in particular. Seems like this is an issue for most edge lit led tvs. Mine is arriving on Monday so I will surly post an update then.

It looks fine in the dark.
post #243 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_lobos View Post

That has me super worried as my room is very dark when watching movies in particular. Seems like this is an issue for most edge lit led tvs. Mine is arriving on Monday so I will surly post an update then.


Cool let us know on that specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandionkhrome View Post

It looks fine in the dark.


Thanks for the encouragement.
post #244 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightwing View Post


Cool let us know on that specifically.

Thanks for the encouragement.

When I first turned this TV on I was disappointed. I previously had a 47lx6500 active 3D that I sold when I found the deal on this tv. I wished I had my old tv back. As a matter of fact I think one of my posts earlier in this thread states that. I experienced terrible gaming lag and I couldn't get my picture crisp. It looked fuzzy with out detail. Kinda of like a painting.

Finally I sat down and started to tweak my settings because I was determined to be satisfied with this purchase.
post #245 of 8217
Sorry, accidentally hit send before I was finished...

Now using the settings I posted above, I am very satisfied with this set in the day time, at night and playing video games on all my systems. I now have zero complaints about the tv. So do not worry. The tv is great! You will love it unless you are just super picky and look for things to be wrong.
post #246 of 8217
Gaa! The price on the 47" jumped about $150 today on Amazon. I know this because it was in my basket and they kindly pointed it out to me.
post #247 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandionkhrome View Post

Sorry, accidentally hit send before I was finished...

Now using the settings I posted above, I am very satisfied with this set in the day time, at night and playing video games on all my systems. I now have zero complaints about the tv. So do not worry. The tv is great! You will love it unless you are just super picky and look for things to be wrong.

You post right before this scared the crap outa me! LOL. Thanks for the settings. I will try them this weekend. You da man!
post #248 of 8217
Will try Kandionkhrome's settings, but just playing on my own has some very crisp 720p TV shows. Just beautiful. 480 is OK, depending on the source. HD is just sweet as can be. I will hook up the LG BD670 - 3D Wifi Blu-ray Disc Player this weekend [came with the bundle from buydig.com]
Any one get an extended warranty? I bought it with AMEX, which adds another year, but was wondering if any one had more ideas.
post #249 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandionkhrome View Post

Standard
Backlight 45
Contrast 95
Brightness 55
Sharpness 55
Color 60
Tint 0
Color temp 0
Dynamic contrast off
Dynamic color off
Clear white off
Skin color 0
Noise reduction low
Super resolution on
Mpeg noise reduction off
Gamma medium
Black level low
Eye care off
Real cinema off
Color gamut wide
TRU motion dejudder 2 deblur 8
Led local dimming medium
Energy off


Let me know what you think.

I tried these settings last night and it looks FAR better than what I had the night before.

Tried multiple discs and looked great on all of them. Black level looked good unless the room was totally dark, and even then it wasn't horrible. Speed Racer on blu looked bonkers!

My only real complaint at this point is the terrible clouding when the local dimming isn't there (game mode) or isn't completely effective ('no signal' screen). When the whole screen goes black and all backlight turns off, it's BLACK.

Also, finally got to try 3D last night with some on-demand freebies on cable. Does local dimming not work with 3D either, or do I need to change the setting? Black screens were definitely grey and very cloudy.
post #250 of 8217
I bought this TV last week just after I moved and had to change service from AT&T U-verse to DirecTV.

The HD lineup between these 2 providers is significantly different, and we lost HD for some channels that my wife and I happen to watch a lot. My set is too new to be ready for ISF calibration. With that qualification I should say that I'm noticing that the SD picture quality is significantly worse than on my Pioneer Kuro.
post #251 of 8217
I have some questions on making adjustments the the factory settings, in anticipation of my 55LW5600 showing up next week.

The set has multiple picture modes, and the general opinion of most of the reviews I've seen are that the Standard mode is too bright, over-driven, or whatever (albeit presumably not as much as "Vivid" mode). And that the Cinema mode and the two ISF modes are a lot better out of the box.

But does it matter which of the modes you make the adjustments in? Some people have seemingly made the adjustments to Standard mode, whereas the reviews that have involved calibration have used one of the ISF modes (I assume since more adjustments of the individual RGB values are possible in the ISF modes.) But then in some of the info I've seen, it implies that it is the Expert mode that is user-adjustable.

The other thing that has been confusing in what I've read so far is whether 3D defaults to a particular mode (I have seen someplace that 3D uses the Standard mode settings), and if so, are there some things that are over-ridden when displaying 3D (such as turning off local-dimming, or raising the blacklight setting). Does it make sense to set up one mode to be optimized for 2D, and a different mode to be optimized for 3D? I suppose the other possible use for multiple sets of settings would be for either day/night, or else lit room/dark room. Do some of you intend to create multiple optimizations for different viewing conditions?

Finally, are the ISF modes accessible without special service codes, and does it even make sense to try and make adjustments in these settings without special tools, meters, etc.?

Thanks for any advice. I've used Video Essentials before to make some basic adjustments to other (older) sets, but the number of possible adjustments is higher now!
post #252 of 8217
Been playing around with my 55LW5600. From my experience, each HDMI input is assigned to separate set of Standard/Cinema/etc except TruMotion and Local Dimming settings that would affect across all inputs. For example my satellite's Standard setting is different from my Bluray input's setting. The only way to set RGB or color management is thru the 2 ISF Expert modes, but have not seen a post for this RGB setting yet... If anyone is successful in this area, pls post it for us to try.

Simialarly 3D mode uses its own Standard setting with everything turned up to compensate for the dark glasses. You can fine tune it by Hitting Q.Menu button -> Video Setting.

I have the same blooming effect that could be annoying sometimes, especially when the whole screen is black except 1 bright spot, such as film credits or a logo, then the whole left and right horizontal area of the spot become brighter or blooming. Understandably that this is a general problem with edge lit local dimming, but the Sony edge lit local dimming NX810 has no such blooming effect. I watched the film credit part in very dim room at Magnolia and the sony's letter box and left and right areas around credits display no blooming, very black. Is this a LG's software/firmware issue? In other words, LG hasn't come up with as good solution a Sony to solve this edge lit local dimming's blooming problem?
post #253 of 8217
Update on my 55LW5600 I purchased a week ago. My Audio Return Channel is not working. My Netflix app never gets past the loading screen and usually locks up my tv so I have to power cycle. Instead of taking it back to ABT Electronics because it's such a hassle to repack it and move it, I emailed LG Support via their web form. They got right back to me and said they'd send a technician out to meet me yesterday. He called after I already took the day off work and said he wants to pre-order a new main board for it so he's prepared to replace it when he visits so we're re-scheduled for next week. As long as this happens and it's working afterwards, I'll be more than happy with their support/response.
Tally so far: 1 wasted day off work (but it was fun to stay home!)
I'll keep you posted.

PS. These aren't a show stoppers for me (I love the set without them) - but I'd really like Netflix working in the TV so I can supposedly get 5.1 channel. If ARC won't work I can use optical out to my AVR, but I'd prefer the audio back over the HDMI. We'll see...
post #254 of 8217
Went to bestbuy today to check out this TV. I was very impressed with it. I could see scan lines up close but 4 feet back I didnt have an issue. I am liking it a lot but will hold out I have seen 2 good deals online this week for the 47 and 55 but want to get the 240hz version
post #255 of 8217
Oooookay... new wrinkle.

Turned everything on last night (tv, cable box, receiver) and the tv isn't working.

The cable is getting to the receiver because I can hear it, but the tv is a blank grey, cloudy mess. I'm not even getting the 'no signal' screen, so it's not an issue of the signal not getting through.

Nothing on the remote has any effect either, I tried to change the input, bring up the menu, anything. No matter what button I hit, the little white power indicator flashes and that's it. The only button that works is power.

So now I don't know if I should:

1. Contact LG
2. Ask Best Buy to bring me a new one
3. Have them bring me a different model altogether (I really like this set, but this has me sort of spooked at the moment).

Right now, I have a two thousand dollar nightlight.
post #256 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjktcvs View Post

I bought this TV last week just after I moved and had to change service from AT&T U-verse to DirecTV.

The HD lineup between these 2 providers is significantly different, and we lost HD for some channels that my wife and I happen to watch a lot. My set is too new to be ready for ISF calibration. With that qualification I should say that I'm noticing that the SD picture quality is significantly worse than on my Pioneer Kuro.

I'm hoping to improve SD channel picture, but it looks a bit pixelated, so I wonder if there is any hope. Unfortunately, we watch more SD than anything else. That's why I asked about it here on earlier posts, but didn't get an answer. HD is great, but we all need a TV that suits our needs. My kids don't notice, as cartoons are fine. But the Disney channels are 480 and a bit pixelated. I don't think that anything can improve resolution, but I'll try.
post #257 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by megashock5 View Post

Oooookay... new wrinkle.

Turned everything on last night (tv, cable box, receiver) and the tv isn't working.

The cable is getting to the receiver because I can hear it, but the tv is a blank grey, cloudy mess. I'm not even getting the 'no signal' screen, so it's not an issue of the signal not getting through.

Nothing on the remote has any effect either, I tried to change the input, bring up the menu, anything. No matter what button I hit, the little white power indicator flashes and that's it. The only button that works is power.

So now I don't know if I should:

1. Contact LG
2. Ask Best Buy to bring me a new one
3. Have them bring me a different model altogether (I really like this set, but this has me sort of spooked at the moment).

Right now, I have a two thousand dollar nightlight.

I would most def have BB come back and exchange it. Sounds like you bought a bad one. Let them deal with sending it back to LG.
post #258 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwam3 View Post

I'm hoping to improve SD channel picture, but it looks a bit pixelated, so I wonder if there is any hope. Unfortunately, we watch more SD than anything else. That's why I asked about it here on earlier posts, but didn't get an answer. HD is great, but we all need a TV that suits our needs. My kids don't notice, as cartoons are fine. But the Disney channels are 480 and a bit pixelated. I don't think that anything can improve resolution, but I'll try.

OK, so it's bright daytime right now. The SD picture looks fine. Some blurring of faces and objects that are small but the closeups are fine. This looks better in bright light. Kids are watching so I haven't had a chance to try settings Originally Posted by Kandionkhrome, but I will. I haven't even set up the DVD yet.
post #259 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandionkhrome View Post

I would most def have BB come back and exchange it. Sounds like you bought a bad one. Let them deal with sending it back to LG.

I called BB and they don't have any in the warehouse or in the store. They're going to do a transfer from another store which could take up to 2 weeks. I asked about that eating in to my 30 day return policy and the guy said it would start over once they got the set from the other store and ran the exchange, so hopefully that's true. They're supposed to call me when it's in.

My other option is to pick out something else. The other set I was considering is the Sony KDL55EX723, which has a very nice picture. I went with the LG because the panel was a bit more matte and because of the passive 3D. I'm not huge on 3D, so I would never spend $600 for four pairs of glasses for the Sony, so it may as well not even be a 3D model (for me). I figured I was getting 3D (and the blu-ray player) basically free since the sets are so close in price.

Hopefully this is the right thing to do, I liked everything about this set apart from the bloom on some dark scenes, but I'm a bit concerned after what happened.

Better a week into owning it than a week after the warranty is up though.

I guess I'll be bringing my old LG back up from the basement for a while.
post #260 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by megashock5 View Post

I called BB and they don't have any in the warehouse or in the store. They're going to do a transfer from another store which could take up to 2 weeks. I asked about that eating in to my 30 day return policy and the guy said it would start over once they got the set from the other store and ran the exchange, so hopefully that's true. They're supposed to call me when it's in.

My other option is to pick out something else. The other set I was considering is the Sony KDL55EX723, which has a very nice picture. I went with the LG because the panel was a bit more matte and because of the passive 3D. I'm not huge on 3D, so I would never spend $600 for four pairs of glasses for the Sony, so it may as well not even be a 3D model (for me). I figured I was getting 3D (and the blu-ray player) basically free since the sets are so close in price.

Hopefully this is the right thing to do, I liked everything about this set apart from the bloom on some dark scenes, but I'm a bit concerned after what happened.

Better a week into owning it than a week after the warranty is up though.

I guess I'll be bringing my old LG back up from the basement for a while.

Just have them take it back [refund], and order another on line. Then you'll get another 30 days.
I'm wondering if this needs a break-in, since the SD image is better today. Still, I lose audio switching to HD channels sometimes, that is fixed by powering off, then on. Will switching from HDMI to component decrease PQ?
post #261 of 8217
Just pushed 3D button while watching TV and put the glasses on and it works! Me and the kids were watching Disney channels in 3D. It looked pretty darn good too. Very impressed.
post #262 of 8217
So when in 3D on this HDTV it cuts the resolution in half?

That is unacceptable.
post #263 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewarrior View Post

So when in 3D on this HDTV it cuts the resolution in half?

That is unacceptable.

It looks great. Watch it before you condemn it bro.
post #264 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwam3 View Post

It looks great. Watch it before you condemn it bro.

I agree. I don't know why people condemn based on paper terms anyways. It looks fantastic!
post #265 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewarrior View Post

So when in 3D on this HDTV it cuts the resolution in half?

That is unacceptable.

I can pretty much guarantee that your eyes won't be able to tell the difference.
post #266 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandionkhrome View Post

I can pretty much guarantee that your eyes won't be able to tell the difference.

I agree. I was at a Best Buy earlier today and they had an LG model with passive 3D on display. I gave it a whirl and I was impressed with the 3D. I dont think the resolution looked that bad at all to me!
post #267 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandionkhrome View Post

I can pretty much guarantee that your eyes won't be able to tell the difference.

My eyes actually can tell the difference between 720P and 1080P, especially on 40" HDTVs and up.

The 720P sets always look hazy to me compared to a 1080P HDTV, and I don't want to see a hazy effect when watching Blu-Ray
post #268 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewarrior View Post

My eyes actually can tell the difference between 720P and 1080P, especially on 40" HDTVs and up.

The 720P sets always look hazy to me compared to a 1080P HDTV, and I don't want to see a hazy effect when watching Blu-Ray

This LG 3D looked better than the Sony's and Panny's at3D at BB to my eye. I'm a radiologist BTW. I don't think that halfing the resolution is accurate at all. That's why you need to take a gander at it. But I'm sure that you have a more discriminating eye than the rest of us that haven't trained our eyes for this stuff.
post #269 of 8217
I have the 55LW5600 from the great TV/BR combo at buydig and can tell you that the image in 3D, at normal viewing distance is great from 3D Bluray (Resident Evil 3D tested). The "specs" say it's 1920x540 per "eye". Said another way, each eye sees either 540 odd or even lines, but together, BOTH eyes see a combined 1080 lines of content. If you get too close to the TV, you will notice the scan line effect as seen like the older CRT based 1080i displays, but more that 4 feet back, the images are combined by the eyes to one 1080 image.
Watching 1080i 3D content, like my cables On Demand (HBO has Avatar + 5 other 3D movies on Demand, etc) will reduce the image specs even further, but again it's technically the same thing as the images are combined to form in the brain as a single image.
For 2D viewing, it's not an issue at all. you see full 1080p BluRay and regular upconverted 1080i or 720p content. You can use the TV's 2D to 3D mode and dial in how much "depth" you want and it will look great for regular SD or HD programming.

vegggas
post #270 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegggas View Post
I have the 55LW5600 from the great TV/BR combo at buydig and can tell you that the image in 3D, at normal viewing distance is great from 3D Bluray (Resident Evil 3D tested). The "specs" say it's 1920x540 per "eye". Said another way, each eye sees either 540 odd or even lines, but together, BOTH eyes see a combined 1080 lines of content. If you get too close to the TV, you will notice the scan line effect as seen like the older CRT based 1080i displays, but more that 4 feet back, the images are combined by the eyes to one 1080 image.
Watching 1080i 3D content, like my cables On Demand (HBO has Avatar + 5 other 3D movies on Demand, etc) will reduce the image specs even further, but again it's technically the same thing as the images are combined to form in the brain as a single image.
For 2D viewing, it's not an issue at all. you see full 1080p BluRay and regular upconverted 1080i or 720p content. You can use the TV's 2D to 3D mode and dial in how much "depth" you want and it will look great for regular SD or HD programming.

vegggas
That's what I thought. I turned on 3D when a 480 TV show, which if halved would be 240. That would look like crap, but it was pretty impressive. I bought the same deal from buydig.com as well. They delivered in less than 3 days.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official LG 47LW5600/55LW5600 "Passive 3D" Owners Thread