or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official LG 47LW5600/55LW5600 "Passive 3D" Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official LG 47LW5600/55LW5600 "Passive 3D" Owners Thread - Page 222

post #6631 of 8217
I set custom values in Expert1 and selected apply to all inputs but when I change inputs from hdmi 2 to hdmi 1 the settings are different for Expert 1. What am I doing wrong?
post #6632 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclejim View Post

Another advantage of passive 3d technology: by swapping the lenses between glasses you can apparently play split screen coop games in full screen mode with each player seeing a separate full screen image. Anyone tried this yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj5jw...e_gdata_player

LG just announced Dual Play glasses today, specifically for this purpose.
post #6633 of 8217
post 6831 on page 213 has the instructions to get into the ezmenu (to enable thx)
you will need either A. A service remote
B. A compatible universal remote
C. A old remote you can destroy for its led and a speaker system that uses left/right wires to plug into

My husband used C and it worked great. just took the left channel speaker for surround sound, fed one prong from the LED into each wire slot, then put that speaker up against the tv, played the sound thru the ps3 into the sound system, and boom the password screen came up.
if you want to use this method and are confused message this account and he will message you back with more info
post #6634 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeBad View Post


LG just announced Dual Play glasses today, specifically for this purpose.

The press release I read didn't mention the 2011 models, but the video on YouTube proves it works. Would be nice to pick up a couple pairs of dual play glasses and not have to mess with hacking existing glasses, assuming they work on the 2011 models. ( no obvious reason they shouldn't that I can think of)
post #6635 of 8217
Hello Everyone. I just brought home my 55LW5600 on Friday. It was made in Dec 2011. Everything looks great, there is no bleeding on the edges, and the picture quality is great.
Something I do not like is how much the HDMI cables flex the mainboard when swiveling the tv. I have three stiff HDMI cables and network coming out the side and I am not liking the amount of wiggle they have. My wife turns it away from the patio door in the day, and I turn it back at night. I can see this causing retention/connection issues in time. I think I have a solution, and will post a pic soon.

Hey, thanks to everyone in the forums here who share calibration info and service menu tips. This really helped me in my decision.
post #6636 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclejim View Post

The press release I read didn't mention the 2011 models, but the video on YouTube proves it works. Would be nice to pick up a couple pairs of dual play glasses and not have to mess with hacking existing glasses, assuming they work on the 2011 models. ( no obvious reason they shouldn't that I can think of)

It does work and there is a little bit of ghosting picked up if you are paused and looking for it. During game play, have not noticed it. Only game tried was CODMW3.
post #6637 of 8217
Hi Everyone. I saw some posts about reducing input lag for gaming but none of them talked about changing the output of the Xbox360 video. (might have missed it)

I am getting good results with:

HDMI Input 3 - Labeled as PC
AV mode set to Game

Xbox360 output set to 1366x768.

I am not sure what the native resolution for the lw5600 is. But it seems to me that it should be higher than 1366x768 since it is a 1080p TV. Oddly, none of my Xbox options seemed close to 1080 so I went with 1366x768 as it was closer to 720p.

If anyone tests this out, I would be interested to know if it really is reducing input lag or if I am just convincing myself.
post #6638 of 8217
damirk, the reason for the resolution is most games (especially xbox games) are made in 720p and not 1080p, you can usually play it in 1080i if you wanted to but its best to just force it to stay in its native 720p for the most crisp picture for the game

I know for ps3 games atleast it says on the back of the box what resolution the game is in.
post #6639 of 8217
i am wondering if anyone has encountered an issue i am seeing, though, only sporadiacally...

i have found that when the picture mode is set to "just scan" on certain analog channels there is a thin distorted line across the top of the screen?

now this doesn't happen on all channels, just a few but it is very noticeable and annoying. also, if i switch to any other mode IE 16:9 or 4:3 this line goes away.

IYO, is this the TV or is it something its picking up off the channels???

thanks guys.
post #6640 of 8217
oh cmon, how could it be TV if it works fine on most channels? It says in manual, just scan = zero overscan. If particular channel has garbage data inside scan lines, call cable to fix it, unless it's analog, those had spec of 3-4% overscan and CC and other data was send in top or bottom scan lines, which then were off the screen and not visible, otherwise you would have that data showing as random noise, with TV set to 0 overscan it shows up. I'm surprised they still send analog signal anywhere, over the air broadcast is all digital for few yrs now. If the channels are digital and showing this, there is no excuse, just sloppy broadcasting.
Until they fix it, use any other setting except just scan, they all have overscan build in just to cover this prehistoric artifact, going back literally to very beginning of television.
post #6641 of 8217
hi ,i just got my 47lw5600 today , im mostly goint to use my tv for xbox 360 and ps3 , so my question is if someone has good picture settings to play on my systems? or can u point me in the right direction thanks.
post #6642 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayzfan79 View Post

i am wondering if anyone has encountered an issue i am seeing, though, only sporadiacally...

i have found that when the picture mode is set to "just scan" on certain analog channels there is a thin distorted line across the top of the screen?

now this doesn't happen on all channels, just a few but it is very noticeable and annoying. also, if i switch to any other mode IE 16:9 or 4:3 this line goes away.

IYO, is this the TV or is it something its picking up off the channels???

thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete4 View Post

oh cmon, how could it be TV if it works fine on most channels? It says in manual, just scan = zero overscan. If particular channel has garbage data inside scan lines, call cable to fix it, unless it's analog, those had spec of 3-4% overscan and CC and other data was send in top or bottom scan lines, which then were off the screen and not visible, otherwise you would have that data showing as random noise, with TV set to 0 overscan it shows up. I'm surprised they still send analog signal anywhere, over the air broadcast is all digital for few yrs now. If the channels are digital and showing this, there is no excuse, just sloppy broadcasting.
Until they fix it, use any other setting except just scan, they all have overscan build in just to cover this prehistoric artifact, going back literally to very beginning of television.

Even digital off air signals (and cable channels) will have the closed caption data showing on line 21 as "garbage" if it's coming from an analog source. A large amount of recorded programming will still have this as a standard function, especially if the HD source is to be downconverted to analog SD channels. If it bothers you, change your format from "Just Scan" (computer format) to "Set by Program" for broadcast flag to set it correctly.
post #6643 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee-1 View Post

hey i just looked at this setting its ot the depth its the viewpoint,sorry i got it mixed up ,i repeat change the viewpoint to +1-10 to see a difference

Ok - tried this but did not like the fact that it added black bars on the left and right side. Oh well - like someone else posted - a lot has to do with the source material. Thanks for the input.
post #6644 of 8217
i actually dont get black bars on the side,the onlt black bars i ever see is when im watching a 3d bluray,of course some movies dont have the black bars,im curious what were you watching to get black bars on the side?
post #6645 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee-1 View Post

i actually dont get black bars on the side,the onlt black bars i ever see is when im watching a 3d bluray,of course some movies dont have the black bars,im curious what were you watching to get black bars on the side?

SD content (4:3) has lack bars on the side.
post #6646 of 8217
How much better is the LW6500 over the LW5600?
post #6647 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexx786 View Post

But my receiver is off whenever it happens. I know I can turn my receiver on using simplilink and the receiver turns off when the TV turns off. But for instance, last night receiver was off, I turned the TV off, then about 7 seconds later it turned back on.

Edit: Also when I turn my receiver off using the reciever remote, my TV doesn't turn off, it just reverts to internal speakers, and I prefer it this way.

Can you confirm your firmware version on the LG and Onkyo? I have an 809 that won't power on with CEC and there is another person here with the same model as you but also with the power on problem. It would be interesting to compare firmware revisions on everything to see if one of the devices has made a change.
post #6648 of 8217
ok dumb question. im trying to get into the ezmenu to enable 5.1 audio out. im using the logitech 300 (bought it for this purpose and will return when im done). im the instructions here:

http://openlgtv.org.ru/wiki/index.ph..._menus_/_modes

Quote:


Logitech Harmony 300i

This is a easy way I found to access the LG service menus on Logitech 300i (In-Start, In-Stop, EZ-ADJ and power only). This tutorial assumes you have a account on http://myharmony.com

Follow this procedure for In-Start, In-Stop and EZ-ADJ

Go to http://myharmony.com/ and log in to your account
Click on "DEVICES" tab and click on "Add a device"
In manufacturer field enter "LG" and in model number add 47LE5300-UC and then click on Add. Your device should now be added.
Click on "Buttons" and select LG 47LE5300-UC in the select box and click on "Go"
On the right hand side of the screen you should see all the commands for this device, just drag the commands you want to a unused button on the remote.
Once you are done click on "Save"
Remember to sync your remote

should i select "LG 47LE5300-UC" because thats the model code that accesses the service menu or should i enter my service model (55lw5600)? thanks!
post #6649 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergames View Post

How much better is the LW6500 over the LW5600?

Two differences, 9million:1 contrast ratio on the 6500 vs. 8million:1 on the 5600 and 240hz 6500 vs. 120 hz 5600. According to cnet there is no noticeable difference in picture quality.

However, as I JUST found out tonight, the 6500 has a glossy screen whereas the 5600 has a matted screen.

This fact has made me decide to purchase the 5600 for sure...why in the world would LG begin using a glossy screen?!
post #6650 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete4 View Post

oh cmon, how could it be TV if it works fine on most channels? It says in manual, just scan = zero overscan. If particular channel has garbage data inside scan lines, call cable to fix it, unless it's analog, those had spec of 3-4% overscan and CC and other data was send in top or bottom scan lines, which then were off the screen and not visible, otherwise you would have that data showing as random noise, with TV set to 0 overscan it shows up. I'm surprised they still send analog signal anywhere, over the air broadcast is all digital for few yrs now. If the channels are digital and showing this, there is no excuse, just sloppy broadcasting.
Until they fix it, use any other setting except just scan, they all have overscan build in just to cover this prehistoric artifact, going back literally to very beginning of television.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegggas View Post

Even digital off air signals (and cable channels) will have the closed caption data showing on line 21 as "garbage" if it's coming from an analog source. A large amount of recorded programming will still have this as a standard function, especially if the HD source is to be downconverted to analog SD channels. If it bothers you, change your format from "Just Scan" (computer format) to "Set by Program" for broadcast flag to set it correctly.

i never said it was an issue...it was a question. when i see this issue arise, i turn just scan off and continue on my way. as for the analog comment i made, i think i was mistaken in that comment...i was just refering to the basic cable broadcast that comes through without needing the digital box connected. i think these channels actually are a standard digital signal and not the analog i initially put.

if its the actual signal being sent, then i get that....my tv is still new and just wanting to rule out a tv issue.
post #6651 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlove336 View Post

Two differences, 9million:1 contrast ratio on the 6500 vs. 8million:1 on the 5600 and 240hz 6500 vs. 120 hz 5600. According to cnet there is no noticeable difference in picture quality.

However, as I JUST found out tonight, the 6500 has a glossy screen whereas the 5600 has a matted screen.

This fact has made me decide to purchase the 5600 for sure...why in the world would LG begin using a glossy screen?!



"I JUST found out tonight, the 6500 has a glossy screen"



Where did you get this piece of information from ?

Can you point to an article you read or post a URL to a site so I can get the skinny on this also ?
post #6652 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlove336 View Post

Two differences, 9million:1 contrast ratio on the 6500 vs. 8million:1 on the 5600 and 240hz 6500 vs. 120 hz 5600. According to cnet there is no noticeable difference in picture quality.

However, as I JUST found out tonight, the 6500 has a glossy screen whereas the 5600 has a matted screen.

This fact has made me decide to purchase the 5600 for sure...why in the world would LG begin using a glossy screen?!


The 6500 is matte screen, just like 5600.
post #6653 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooski View Post

The 6500 is matte screen, just like 5600.

The guy at hhgregg told me the 6500 has a glossy screen and I saw the 6500 at best buy and it looked glossy to me, although I can't say for sure now that I think about it.

Do you own one? Can you say for certain that the 6500 has a matted screen just like the 5600?

This thread seems to suggest that only the 65lw6500 is glossy and the 47 and 55 are matte (which would be a relief to be considering I have a 47lw6500 on backorder for $949): http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...321920&page=12
post #6654 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlove336 View Post

Two differences, 9million:1 contrast ratio on the 6500 vs. 8million:1 on the 5600 and 240hz 6500 vs. 120 hz 5600. According to cnet there is no noticeable difference in picture quality.

However, as I JUST found out tonight, the 6500 has a glossy screen whereas the 5600 has a matted screen.

This fact has made me decide to purchase the 5600 for sure...why in the world would LG begin using a glossy screen?!

Glossy versus matte would be at least one explanation for the additional million:1 in contrast ratio, wouldn't it?

-fafrd
post #6655 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlove336 View Post

The guy att hhgregg told me the 6500 has a glossy screen and I saw the 6500 at best buy and it looked matted to me, although I can't say for sure now that I think about it.

Do you own one? Can you say for certain that the 6500 has a matted screen just like the 5600?

This thread seems to suggest that only the 65lw6500 is glossy and the 47 and 55 are matte (which would be a relief to be considering I have a 47lw6500 on backorder for $949): http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...321920&page=12


Yes, I do. I own the 55/6500, MATTE SCREEN ! How about you, which one do you own ?

Here, you can see it on the 65/6500:

http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/...v-65LW6500.jsp

The 55" :

http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/...v-55LW6500.jsp

The 47" :

http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/...v-47LW6500.jsp

All have matte screen, look at them !
post #6656 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

Glossy versus matte would be at least one explanation for the additional million:1 in contrast ratio, wouldn't it?

-fafrd

Hey, I'm about ready to duke it out over that "million:1 in contrast ratio" difference.
post #6657 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by VermithraxDagon View Post

Thanks for the input _benjammin, I'm going to try and connect the wireless headphone's transmitter base to the LG's mini stereo headphone jack/out via a Stereo Headphone 3.5mm Male Jack To (2) RCA Stereo Audio Cable - I hadn't thought of that option

Quote:
Originally Posted by _benjammin View Post

Cheers

Just got my cable today, connected it to the wireless transmitter base via the RCA plugs and the LG5600 via its headphone output and it works just fine!! I'm soooo stoked and thanks again to _benjammin Love this forum and all the fine people who take the time to help others with their questions Happy New Year and my best regards to all - Kurt
post #6658 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by artit View Post

I find that the Picture Wizard does a pretty good job in calibrating the TV. I used the Disney WOW blu-ray to calibrate (I know it's not the same as paying for a professional calibrator, but I don't want to pay that kind of money right now), and the settings are very close to what I get using the Picture Wizard.

I suggest that you try using the Picture Wizard as a starting point because no two screens are exactly the same, and each viewer has his/her own personal preferences.



I'll tell you all. While I realize that these newer sets with such a high contrast rate and refresh cycle are far superior to any previous sets that I've owned, I just purchased the 60PZ750 model and the Picture Wizard is simply unbelievable. Previously, on all my sets, I had manually input the picture settings, and to a large degree was able to get a better picture than factory settings, but NEVER to the extent that this Picture Wizard does.

This picture quality is unfrigginreal!
post #6659 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeBad View Post

LG just announced Dual Play glasses today, specifically for this purpose.

So the 5600/5700 is already capable of taking split screen games from my Wii and displaying them full screen simultaneously? Do I just need to use the top/bottom or left/right 2D-3D converting option to do this and then either modify some glasses or possibly buy these dual play glasses if that's all they are?
post #6660 of 8217
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace_dew View Post

So the 5600/5700 is already capable of taking split screen games from my Wii and displaying them full screen simultaneously? Do I just need to use the top/bottom or left/right 2D-3D converting option to do this and then either modify some glasses or possibly buy these dual play glasses if that's all they are?

You will need to put the TV into 2D to 3D mode based upon the game being top and bottom or side by side.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official LG 47LW5600/55LW5600 "Passive 3D" Owners Thread