or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxST30 Thread [No Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxST30 Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 193

post #5761 of 8439
2.200 is the newest
post #5762 of 8439
Tech is coming out next Tuesday ... that was FAST!!
post #5763 of 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_622 View Post

Tech is coming out next Tuesday ... that was FAST!!

I called in ~3 hours ago and got a Case #... and was told that I would be contacted shortly (within a few hours) to schedule an appointment to have a tech come out...

Same thing for you? Or did they schedule it right on the phone first call?...

I'm still waiting for a phone call...
post #5764 of 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozcot View Post

Have had the set a few months and love it so far. Only issue I have is sometimes the skin textures in some scenes look very odd almost a smear effect on one part of their face and others it looks normal. Then at times I see no issues at all. It seems to happen more if there is a shadow over part of their face or if the skin is wet but it also happens at other times as well. Any advise?? Thanks..


Haven't finished catching up with this thread yet so not sure of responses,but I've noticed this many times and the worst incident occurred yesterday while watching the local news which included a temporary newscaster... a very attractive black woman but her face looked as though it was painted on. When I saw her again on the evening edition, the problem was still there but she looked much better. In both situations, the issue was confined to the face and not the neckline so it's clearly the makeup that's causing the problem, but is it the cable signal (Comcast in this case), the cable box, or the display that's mostly at fault.

This was one of the reasons I posted a question elsewhere regarding the benefits of a video processor. Blu-ray is perfect but a cable signal leaves a lot to be desired.
post #5765 of 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by moshock View Post

I called in ~3 hours ago and got a Case #... and was told that I would be contacted shortly (within a few hours) to schedule an appointment to have a tech come out...

Same thing for you? Or did they schedule it right on the phone first call?...

I'm still waiting for a phone call...


They called back maybe 2 hours later at the most!!
post #5766 of 8439
I'm still running slides, so I haven't tried my brand new 60ST30 yet, but I've been reading the manual and the following sentence jumped out at me:

p. 57 DIGITAL AUDIO OUT terminal

"Depending on your DVD player, and DVD-audio software the copyright protection function may operate and disable optical output"

Does anyone know the precise details of the restrictions? Will it only output 2-channel stereo? Will it output enough for me to connect 3.1 speakers? Will it output nothing at all?

I am planning on running digital audio out over the optical output to a Panasonic SA-XR45 amplifier (it's ~ 8 years old, but it is a terrific amplifier). I am planning on running my BDT210, my Shaw STB and my Wii directly into the ST30.

Am I going to have problems playing rental and purchased DVD's and Blu-Rays?

This could be a serious problem for me.

Thanks for any help.
post #5767 of 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS View Post

I'm still running slides, so I haven't tried my brand new 60ST30 yet, but I've been reading the manual and the following sentence jumped out at me:

p. 57 DIGITAL AUDIO OUT terminal

"Depending on your DVD player, and DVD-audio software the copyright protection function may operate and disable optical output"

Does anyone know the precise details of the restrictions? Will it only output 2-channel stereo? Will it output enough for me to connect 3.1 speakers? Will it output nothing at all?

Yeah, I was reading the manual last night and did a double take when I saw that. Still trying to figure out exactly what it means. Only issues I've ever had with a tv's optical out was when I had some Turtle Beach X41 headphones plugged directly into the optical out on my old Sharp 810UN Quattron and couldn't get any sound out of them. At the time I chalked it up to my Onkyo receiver overriding the tv's optical out but now I'm wondering if it was some weird lockout thing like the manual mentioned.
post #5768 of 8439
Yes, I made the leap and bought it from Stereo Plus and Design..... Got a 60ST30 (July Build) and have no issues....although I'm running slides (D-Nice's settings)...it's been less that 24hrs and I wonder if the 100Hr panel prep is really worth it...?
post #5769 of 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norkusa View Post

Yeah, I was reading the manual last night and did a double take when I saw that. Still trying to figure out exactly what it means. Only issues I've ever had with a tv's optical out was when I had some Turtle Beach X41 headphones plugged directly into the optical out on my old Sharp 810UN Quattron and couldn't get any sound out of them. At the time I chalked it up to my Onkyo receiver overriding the tv's optical out but now I'm wondering if it was some weird lockout thing like the manual mentioned.

I kinda have the same question, I just found this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1354493

anyways, I have the x41s as well, and on my previous panny it had stereo output, so that I could output the wii and tv audio into the x41 receiver, with a the 360 and ps3 going into an optical splitter and then into the x41 optical input. But the st30 has no other audio output other than the optical out.

So if I want to use my surround sound x41 receiver for all my inputs, I guess I would need an rca stereo splitter for the wii, and another one for my cable box or something, and then keep the optical splitter/combiner for the ps3 and 360. Why doesn't this tv have any other audio output?
post #5770 of 8439
I told the techs today that I had the FBr problem but I'm watching some casual HD TV content and I really don't notice it. I hear it's something that people usually miss in the first few days but I figured that it was better safe to get a service tech out to look at it than to notice it in a few months.

The buzzing is back though when I switched it to cable broadcast. When it changes scenes it's audible and it's distracting.
post #5771 of 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by looneeii View Post

Yes, I made the leap and bought it from Stereo Plus and Design..... Got a 60ST30 (July Build) and have no issues....although I'm running slides (D-Nice's settings)...it's been less that 24hrs and I wonder if the 100Hr panel prep is really worth it...?

I didn't, just plugged it in, played with the settings and just started enjoying it. I guess to each their own.
post #5772 of 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin_k View Post


The buzzing is back though when I switched it to cable broadcast. When it changes scenes it's audible and it's distracting.

The first set i received I could hear very loud buzzing and refused delivery, second set is whisper quiet. Not a hint of buzzing.
post #5773 of 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Cobra427SC View Post


Haven't finished catching up with this thread yet so not sure of responses,but I've noticed this many times and the worst incident occurred yesterday while watching the local news which included a temporary newscaster... a very attractive black woman but her face looked as though it was painted on. When I saw her again on the evening edition, the problem was still there but she looked much better. In both situations, the issue was confined to the face and not the neckline so it's clearly the makeup that's causing the problem, but is it the cable signal (Comcast in this case), the cable box, or the display that's mostly at fault.

This was one of the reasons I posted a question elsewhere regarding the benefits of a video processor. Blu-ray is perfect but a cable signal leaves a lot to be desired.

I realize that Comcast's quality may be different in different parts of the country. I was a 12 year user of DirecTv until a few years ago. I always considered "D" PQ to be the standard. I have to say now that my Comcast PQ is as good as my satellite ever was. One thing that I did, which resulted in an immediate improvement, was to trade an older DVR box in for the 3D / 1080p Native capable DCX3400M box. You might check on it if you haven't already. Many of my TV broadcast stations look as good as a BD, especially the premium channels.
post #5774 of 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS View Post

I'm still running slides, so I haven't tried my brand new 60ST30 yet, but I've been reading the manual and the following sentence jumped out at me:

p. 57 DIGITAL AUDIO OUT terminal

"Depending on your DVD player, and DVD-audio software the copyright protection function may operate and disable optical output"

Does anyone know the precise details of the restrictions? Will it only output 2-channel stereo? Will it output enough for me to connect 3.1 speakers? Will it output nothing at all?

I am planning on running digital audio out over the optical output to a Panasonic SA-XR45 amplifier (it's ~ 8 years old, but it is a terrific amplifier). I am planning on running my BDT210, my Shaw STB and my Wii directly into the ST30.

Am I going to have problems playing rental and purchased DVD's and Blu-Rays?

This could be a serious problem for me.

Thanks for any help.

The TV's optical out will only put out 2.1 ch. Yes, you have Sony and their suit to blame. If you are planning to run your BDT210 directly to your TV, if that player has HDMI ARC or a separate HDMI port for running just the audio, use that. You will get all of the Digital Audio Formats that way. If the 210 does not give you HDMI audio, then I would suggest you go optical from your player to your receiver. You can also do the same if your receiver has enough optical ports. That's how I do my set up because I have a older receiver without HDMI. Optical this way will then get your 5.1 ch and up to DD-DTS format but using the TV optical out will always be 2 channels. The HDMI will be lossless audio. Lots of info about in the Audio section.
post #5775 of 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Cobra427SC View Post

Haven't finished catching up with this thread yet so not sure of responses,but I've noticed this many times and the worst incident occurred yesterday while watching the local news which included a temporary newscaster... a very attractive black woman but her face looked as though it was painted on. When I saw her again on the evening edition, the problem was still there but she looked much better. In both situations, the issue was confined to the face and not the neckline so it's clearly the makeup that's causing the problem, but is it the cable signal (Comcast in this case), the cable box, or the display that's mostly at fault.

This was one of the reasons I posted a question elsewhere regarding the benefits of a video processor. Blu-ray is perfect but a cable signal leaves a lot to be desired.


i have seen some news casts start doing this.
NBC uses it on bob costas' face and it looks liek ****. but they do it cuz he looks like ****.
and they smooth his skin to try and make him look younger and not so strung out.

it wouldnt surprise me if more news stations and shows start to use this technique.

its a technique in photography used to smooth facial blemishes but has been taken to an extreme way too often.

i doubt its your TV, especially if it isnt happening with everyone and not to mention it was only her face.
post #5776 of 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post

The TV's optical out will only put out 2.1 ch. Yes, you have Sony and their suit to blame. If you are planning to run your BDT210 directly to your TV, if that player has HDMI ARC or a separate HDMI port for running just the audio, use that. You will get all of the Digital Audio Formats that way. If the 210 does not give you HDMI audio, then I would suggest you go optical from your player to your receiver. You can also do the same if your receiver has enough optical ports. That's how I do my set up because I have a older receiver without HDMI. Optical this way will then get your 5.1 ch and up to DD-DTS format but using the TV optical out will always be 2 channels. The HDMI will be lossless audio. Lots of info about in the Audio section.

Thank you. I guess I will run optical out from the Blu-ray player to my receiver, as well as run HDMI from my Blu-ray player to my ST30. What do people do for their STB's? Is there good multi-channel audio coming over cable? Or do people just use the TV speakers when watching movies over cable? Sorry for the stupid question, but I am very new to all of this.

Thank you.
post #5777 of 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

hmmmm, i wonder if they released the fix thru a FW update now... i havent seen any FBr on my may build either...

I updated mine a few days ago and it didn't fix it.
post #5778 of 8439
Since it seems a lot of us are currently running the slideshow on our new sets, I am interested in hearing any comments on screen uniformity.

I posted my observations in post #5755, but on the green slides in particular, I'm seeing some darker and lighter regions running vertically ~10" from the right edge. If everyone else has perfectly uniform display of the slideshow then I will send back. If this is normal then I'll run the slideshow to completion and inspect carefully with actual content.

Mike
post #5779 of 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpo1977 View Post

Since it seems a lot of us are currently running the slideshow on our new sets, I am interested in hearing any comments on screen uniformity.

I posted my observations in post #5755, but on the green slides in particular, I'm seeing some darker and lighter regions running vertically ~10" from the right edge. If everyone else has perfectly uniform display of the slideshow then I will send back. If this is normal then I'll run the slideshow to completion and inspect carefully with actual content.

Mike

I just stared at my set for 2 full cycles of the slides, and I don't see any problems. No uniformity issues that I can see, no blobs, no streaking, no fluctuating brightness and no audible buzz (a nearby fridge is making too much noise for me to hear the ST30).

It is a 60ST30, August build, serial xxx1217xxx, bought in Vancouver, B.C. yesterday. Slides have been running 23 hours now. I'll keep checking.
post #5780 of 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS View Post


Thank you. I guess I will run optical out from the Blu-ray player to my receiver, as well as run HDMI from my Blu-ray player to my ST30. What do people do for their STB's? Is there good multi-channel audio coming over cable? Or do people just use the TV speakers when watching movies over cable? Sorry for the stupid question, but I am very new to all of this.

Thank you.

A lot of people on here run their STB's via optical to their receiver for 5.1 digital audio, and then HDMI to the ST30 for the video. Even my old Yamaha receiver has 3 optical ports. I use one for the STB, one for the BD player. Lots of stations in the D.C. and Baltimore area broadcast 5.1 HD, especially during prime time in the evening. The premium channels including HBO, Showtime and Starz have excellent 5.1 audio. I don't know of any STB's with HDMI ARC yet so you are limited to just 5.1 DD. A lot better than 2 ch coming out of your TV.
post #5781 of 8439
I'm getting the runaround from Panasonic. Apparently they don't do in-home service for 42" plasma TVs. I told them that it's impossible for me to get service unless it's in-home so they said their system was down.

They eventually called me back and scheduled a meeting with a local depot, but they said that it was a bring-in service and not in-home and the local depot asked me to call Panasonic back so they can reissue the work order.

I'm on hold with Panasonic again now, hoping I can talk to the person that I originally got at the concierge.

Is it true that 42" don't get in-home service by default?
post #5782 of 8439
Irwin, let us how how to get Panasonic go to home to change the A broad. I had the same problem for 42 in. Called the shop, they asked for $100 in house service. 45 miles from home to their shop and I had to leave it there so about 100 miles round trip. To much for fixing a TV.

Thanks,
post #5783 of 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin_k View Post

I'm getting the runaround from Panasonic. Apparently they don't do in-home service for 42" plasma TVs. I told them that it's impossible for me to get service unless it's in-home so they said their system was down.

They eventually called me back and scheduled a meeting with a local depot, but they said that it was a bring-in service and not in-home and the local depot asked me to call Panasonic back so they can reissue the work order.

I'm on hold with Panasonic again now, hoping I can talk to the person that I originally got at the concierge.

Is it true that 42" don't get in-home service by default?

never heard this, but that's a little odd.

I called panasonic about 4 hours ago, they seemed very familiar with the issue, gave me a case # and also said their scheduling service is down and would have to call me back in an hour or so. They called back about an hour later, and gave me the details of the in home service for my 46, for a new a board. They will be coming next wed in the AM. About an hour after that the local service center called me to confirm, and they will be calling me back on tues, as a reminder and to narrow down a 2 hour window for the appointment. It has all been pretty effortless and pleasant.
post #5784 of 8439
I was happy that I got a November Build for my 50ST30, but I seem to have one of the Blinking Red Light problems. It has shut off on me 3 times already. The picture will sort of blink or have a strobe effect (not sure how to describe it) for a few seconds. A couple of times I noticed it and the picture returned to normal. The times it shut off, it strobed a little longer.

7 blinking lights.

Only way to reset is to unplug for a few minutes.

I'll be returning to BB (just got it yesterday) tomorrow.

Question, can I continue to play with this and watch it for the remainder of the evening? Or, is it safer to just shut it off?
post #5785 of 8439
yes if the tv is smaller then 46 inchs then u will need to bring it in the shop..
call them back and tell them you dont drive and that you have health problems.
you have to be nice and if the person on the phone says no ask to speak to her boss
and if they give you the same run around tell them you will be hearing from your lawyer
post #5786 of 8439
I love everything about this TV, except I'm noticing quite a bit of motion blur when playing video games. Here's a video I took:



If you pay attention to the lights on the dude's back, they go all double-image whenever I move the camera. You can even see it in screenshots:



Anyone else seeing this? Is it normal? It's not unbearable or anything, but definitely noticeable to the naked eye, and something I wasn't expecting given plasma is known for smooth motion. It's one of the reasons I switched from an LCD.

There's also flicker in that video, which I haven't seen on other videos of the TV. In person, I can see it out of the corner of my eye.

I also see phosphor trails quite a bit, though this seems to be getting better with time (whether due to break-in or to my eyes getting used to it, I dunno).

I'm thinking of switching this TV for an LCD, but wanted to check if I have a defective flickery blurry set or if this is just par for the course.
post #5787 of 8439
Hi,

Just picked up an ST30 - and embarrassed to admit it - but can't figure out the stand mounting. It seems like the screws (with washers on them) are just too short to thread into the TV. I don't think there's more than one screw thread exposed after screwing into the thicker (lower) part of the bracket! I can't take the washers off - and I'm sure I'm definitely using the longer of the screw sets (not the ones that attach the bracket to the pedestal). Did anyone else have this issue? Do I just need to get longer screws - or am I doing something wrong? Frustrating - because the TV's still sitting in the box!

Thanks
Reg
post #5788 of 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by regiolanthe View Post

Hi,

Just picked up an ST30 - and embarrassed to admit it - but can't figure out the stand mounting. It seems like the screws (with washers on them) are just too short to thread into the TV. I don't think there's more than one screw thread exposed after screwing into the thicker (lower) part of the bracket! I can't take the washers off - and I'm sure I'm definitely using the longer of the screw sets (not the ones that attach the bracket to the pedestal). Did anyone else have this issue? Do I just need to get longer screws - or am I doing something wrong? Frustrating - because the TV's still sitting in the box!

Thanks
Reg

did you look at the thin paper instructions that are in the stand screw package? It definitely tells you which screws go where. a couple set of the screws look almost identical on the paper, except their tip is different. and they are different colors.
post #5789 of 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by theweight View Post

I was happy that I got a November Build for my 50ST30, but I seem to have one of the Blinking Red Light problems. It has shut off on me 3 times already. The picture will sort of blink or have a strobe effect (not sure how to describe it) for a few seconds. A couple of times I noticed it and the picture returned to normal. The times it shut off, it strobed a little longer.

7 blinking lights.

Only way to reset is to unplug for a few minutes.

I'll be returning to BB (just got it yesterday) tomorrow.

Question, can I continue to play with this and watch it for the remainder of the evening? Or, is it safer to just shut it off?

Answering my own question. Turned it back on and it almost immediately did the same thing and powered itself off. Packed it up and returned it. No problems at BB. New one should arrive in a few days.
post #5790 of 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by regiolanthe View Post

Hi,

Just picked up an ST30 - and embarrassed to admit it - but can't figure out the stand mounting. It seems like the screws (with washers on them) are just too short to thread into the TV. I don't think there's more than one screw thread exposed after screwing into the thicker (lower) part of the bracket! I can't take the washers off - and I'm sure I'm definitely using the longer of the screw sets (not the ones that attach the bracket to the pedestal). Did anyone else have this issue? Do I just need to get longer screws - or am I doing something wrong? Frustrating - because the TV's still sitting in the box!

Thanks
Reg

Quote:
Originally Posted by majik13 View Post

did you look at the thin paper instructions that are in the stand screw package? It definitely tells you which screws go where. a couple set of the screws look almost identical on the paper, except their tip is different. and they are different colors.

I accidently posted the same issue on the VT30 thread.

My stand didn't have a piece of paper instructions with it. I went by the thick instruction manual.

My set came with 8 screws total, and non of them fit the holes on the back of the TV to mount the stand to. I have the thing sitting in its styrofoam running slides until I mount it on the wall.

Any more help would be appreciated.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxST30 Thread [No Price Talk]